Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on going to the gym for the first time??

Options
  • 29-08-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys,

I'm 20 years old, and I weigh 97kg and am very unfit,. And I think its about time I try to fix that. But I have never worked out before, and I am ashamed of it.

Where do I start? What do I need to take with me? HOW DO I EXERCISE PROPERLY??

I know that i'm going to embarrass myself walking in and not knowing what to do..

Or even if there is someone who would be willing to tag along with me to help me get started!? (I'm based in Dublin 4, can travel to city center too.)

I work 9-5, and I want to try workout as much as possible. Should I go before of after work? And how often should I do it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Hold off on the gym.

Download and install C25K app on your phone and make a start on it now. It's easy. You'll see rapid improvement in your basic fitness and that will give you confidence. You can train anywhere and any time that suits, not when the gym is accessible.

Same for Myfitnesspal app. Start to get some accurate info together on your calorific intake. Make sure it's a healthy level compared to your level of exercise/activity and training goals.

Get a properly fitted pair of trainers and a smoothie blender. Cut out processed foods.

You can do all this and see real benefits without the need to worry about gym visits, payments and access logistics.

I'' 5'9", nearly 40 years old and have dropped from 93kg down to 84kg in six months, trot out 5km easily now, belly is gone and I have clear and healthy looking skin, more energy, sleep better etc.

At half my age, you'll find it even easier. Add gym/weight/resistance training when you're experiencing gains. You'll be more motivated to maintain gains and you'll care a lot less what others think in a gym at that stage.

If you want to hit the gym now, don't be worrying anyway. Everyone there had to start somewhere too. Remember though, YOU make it happen for yourself. A gym won't help if you keep eating crap/too much or fail to train your body regularly and in a healthy way. A gym is just a set of tools: the user has to know how to use them and WANT to do a good job with them. Ask them for help and they'll give you a basic intro to use and form. The rest is up to you.

Best of luck. You'll thank yourself down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Advice above is excellent , follow it.

You need to sort your diet first I cannot stress enough how important that it, if the diet and food is wrong you've lost before you start...but if it's correct and you set your mind to it you'll see results. You need to eat at a calotype deficit to loose weight.

As for gym, I work in D4 and I go to sportsco in ring send they have an early morning access from 7-9am that is also cheaper than a normal package, gym is pretty clear at that hour, good equipment and friendly environment just normal people doing cardio and weights nothing intimidating about it... Once tou get through your first two weeks you'll be flying if your unsure about the machines or anything staff will help you out or is be willing to meet you one morning and how you as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Hey guys,

I'm 20 years old, and I weigh 97kg and am very unfit,. And I think its about time I try to fix that. But I have never worked out before, and I am ashamed of it.

Where do I start? What do I need to take with me? HOW DO I EXERCISE PROPERLY??

I know that i'm going to embarrass myself walking in and not knowing what to do..

Or even if there is someone who would be willing to tag along with me to help me get started!? (I'm based in Dublin 4, can travel to city center too.)

I work 9-5, and I want to try workout as much as possible. Should I go before of after work? And how often should I do it?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

What sports, if any, are you into? Even if it's just watching them on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShiaLaBeouf

Hold off on the gym.

Download and install C25K app on your phone and make a start on it now. It's easy. You'll see rapid improvement in your basic fitness and that will give you confidence. You can train anywhere and any time that suits, not when the gym is accessible.

Same for Myfitnesspal app. Start to get some accurate info together on your calorific intake. Make sure it's a healthy level compared to your level of exercise/activity and training goals.

Get a properly fitted pair of trainers and a smoothie blender. Cut out processed foods.

You can do all this and see real benefits without the need to worry about gym visits, payments and access logistics.

I'' 5'9", nearly 40 years old and have dropped from 93kg down to 84kg in six months, trot out 5km easily now, belly is gone and I have clear and healthy looking skin, more energy, sleep better etc.

At half my age, you'll find it even easier. Add gym/weight/resistance training when you're experiencing gains. You'll be more motivated to maintain gains and you'll care a lot less what others think in a gym at that stage.

If you want to hit the gym now, don't be worrying anyway. Everyone there had to start somewhere too. Remember though, YOU make it happen for yourself. A gym won't help if you keep eating crap/too much or fail to train your body regularly and in a healthy way. A gym is just a set of tools: the user has to know how to use them and WANT to do a good job with them. Ask them for help and they'll give you a basic intro to use and form. The rest is up to you.

Best of luck. You'll thank yourself down the line.

Thank you very much for the great advice!

I just downloaded the C25K app, and I will start first thing tomorrow morning on the beach, and try do it everyday possible.

Hopefully not too long after that I will have some confidence in going to the gym!

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Advice above is excellent , follow it.

You need to sort your diet first I cannot stress enough how important that it, if the diet and food is wrong you've lost before you start...but if it's correct and you set your mind to it you'll see results. You need to eat at a calotype deficit to loose weight.

As for gym, I work in D4 and I go to sportsco in ring send they have an early morning access from 7-9am that is also cheaper than a normal package, gym is pretty clear at that hour, good equipment and friendly environment just normal people doing cardio and weights nothing intimidating about it... Once tou get through your first two weeks you'll be flying if your unsure about the machines or anything staff will help you out or is be willing to meet you one morning and how you as well..

Sportsco sounds like a good idea, I'm going to work on the diet and basic fitness first. Then soon enough I will be going to the gym regularly! :D

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    What sports, if any, are you into? Even if it's just watching them on tv.

Not much of a sports guy unfortunately, never really got into it. :(

Sportsco sounds like a good idea, I'm going to work on the diet and basic fitness first. Then soon enough I will be going to the gym regularly! :D

Good man, you'll tha l yourself in the long run. Remember this time next year you'll be saying thank god I started this a year ago and now look at me.

Instead of , I wish I'd have started last year ... Didn't your motovation and push yourself. Good luck, when you do decide on the gym I'll still be there my offer stands no bother helping someone out .

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Can personally recommend the C25k as a great basis for improving your fitness. I started in June after I put some weight on during my exams.

It's a great way to see progress because each week pushes you a bit more so you feel like you are achieving something with each run. It's a better indicator of your fitness than the scales.

when you do decide on the gym I'll still be there my offer stands no bother helping someone out .

I'm going to set a goal for myself, going to fix my diet and do a lot of walking/jogging everyday. And hopefully in about two weeks I will go to sportsco first thing in the morning before work and give it a go.

On the 8th of September 7am, I will be there!

I'm feeling so motivated right now, I think I will go for a late night walk and jog in a few hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Not much of a sports guy unfortunately, never really got into it. :(

No worries, sometimes it's easier to join a sport you enjoy watching and get fit through that as it feels fun as opposed to enforced exercise.

Regarding you going to the gym and feeling embarrassed; the vast majority of the people there will either:

a) not even notice you or
    b) notice you and think fair play that you're in the gym trying to do something about it (lose weight/get fitter).

I'm going to set a goal for myself, going to fix my diet and do a lot of walking/jogging everyday. And hopefully in about two weeks I will go to sportsco first thing in the morning before work and give it a go.

On the 8th of September 7am, I will be there!

Super , PM me if you decide you need any help with the machines or equipment..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm feeling so motivated right now, I think I will go for a late night walk and jog in a few hours!

It great that you're feeling enthusiastic, but be careful you don't burn out. Much better to do a little bit every now and then for the rest of your life than try to do it all at once and end up hating it. Sustainability is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck with it op. at least you made the start. go from there. rome wasnt built in a day so be patient but persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As for gym, I work in D4 and I go to sportsco in ring send they have an early morning access from 7-9am that is also cheaper than a normal package

Their normal package is ridiculous in Sportsco though. I'd have said Flyefit on Macken St was a much better and cheaper option than the time-restricted package in Sportsco

Irishcrx wrote:
    Instead of , I wish I'd have started last year ... Didn't your motovation and push yourself. Good luck, when you do decide on the gym I'll still be there my offer stands no bother helping someone out .

I'm still working on the jogging around the beach for now, didn't feel quite ready for the gym this week. Will your offer still stand in a week or two? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Honestly, your best bet is to join a gym that specifically caters for people like you.

One that takes in beginners, guides them thru every aspect of training, and talks about nutrition, recovery and whatnot.

An educational process as much as a training one :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Just dive right in. Nobody is going to look at a new member there to improve themselves and laugh at them and even if they did then it's a given that that person is a fuking retard in which case you shouldn't care what they think. Depending on the kind of gym you join, a likely scenario is other !members of the community will give you a bit of guidance and advice if they feel like they have some to give where you need it.

Getting into and learning about fitness and health has never been easier than it is now because of the Internet. It's just a matter of compounding knowledge bit by bit over time and trying to put that knowledge to practice and finding what works best for you. Once you're comfortable in the gym environment and gaining strength and size you'll gain confidence in yourself and continue.

Advertisement