Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle aged men in grubby blue jeans and tracksuits

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Mesrine65 wrote: »

That's exactly what I have on my feet right now. Red as well.

This middle age woman loves her cons and doesn't give a sh1te who doesn't like them on me :P comfy, they go with most things I wear and good for walking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greentopia wrote: »
    That's exactly what I have on my feet right now. Red as well.

This middle age woman loves her cons and doesn't give a sh1te who doesn't like them on me :P comfy, they go with most things I wear and good for walking in.

Skechers are much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Converses are just ugh.

So are grown men wearing Hollister and Abercrombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'm 50, I wear jeans, t-shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies, steel-toe boots & a leather motorbike jacket.

Yes I am a biker, but it would be my clothing of choice regardless as they are comfortable, functional & timeless.

I wear a uniform in my day to day work because I am obliged to.

I don't feel comfortable in formal attire, shirt, tie, slacks, shoes etc., despite being in uniform most of my working life, it's just not me.

Why should I or anyone else have to conform to a dress code because of their age in their day to day existence?

Respect. I'm in the same boat. Although I do find it nice, occasionally, to go for the whole suit and tie thing. Makes me feel all James Bond. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When I was young and my mother was forcing me to wear some clothes that at least 3 other relations had worn before me she used to always say who'd be looking at you and some of the clothes really where ghastly. Now she keeps pointing out the state of other people's clothes while I couldn't give a toss what someone wears. Best fashion now is everyone is getting the same tattoos to be individual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Well I'm a middle aged guy and generally wear suit, shirt, tie, nice shoes to work...

So at the weekend, the jeans go on, t-shirts, sweatshirt or hoodie...unless I'm going out I won't be dressing up...

If it offends anyone, well that's the good thing about getting older, I couldn't give 2 sh1ts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

You must have a great life OP if your only concern is how other people are dressing. You seem obsessive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

boobar wrote: »
    Well I'm a middle aged guy and generally wear suit, shirt, tie, nice shoes to work...

So at the weekend, the jeans go on, t-shirts, sweatshirt or hoodie...unless I'm going out I won't be dressing up...

Why do you think the only alternative to a suit and tie for a middle aged man is jeans and a hoodie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why you think the only alternative to a suit and tie for a middle aged man is jeans and a hoodie ?

It's the alternative he likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Why you think the only alternative to a suit and tie for a middle aged man is jeans and a hoodie ?

I never said it was the only alternative, I wear what I want, you wear what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Fashion Is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every 6 months.
    Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭badabing106

Cut off age appropriate behaviors according to large survey in uk

Having a new tattoo - 31
    Routinely ending a text or email to a stranger with a kiss - 35
    Using text short-forms such as LOL - 29
    Using emoticons in texts and tweets - 26
    Wearing a baseball cap - 32
    Listening to Radio 1 - 29
    Wearing a bikini - 48
    Riding a skateboard - 26
    Wearing a football replica shirt - 37
    Having a ponytail (for a man) - 29
    Having a goatee beard - 34
    Having a body piercing - 29
    Wearing grubby blue jeans - 33
    Wearing very high heels - 34
    Going to a music festival - 41
    Kissing in the street - 24
    Wearing Speedos - 26
    Watching reality TV - 31
    Wearing a mini-skirt - 27
    Voting for an act on X Factor - 26
    Dancing at a nightclub - 37
    Dressing up and behaving outrageously at a hen or stag do - 37
    Riding a snowboard - 36
    Wearing Croc sandals - 33
    High fiving anyone - 27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

When did the middle aged Irish male become so scruffy and useless looking ?
    Clinging onto their grubby out of shape blue jeans and t-shirts, that wouldn't look good on a 18 year old male model, never mind a grown man.
    They look even more stupid than Jeremy Clarkson does, and that's the thinner ones.

I wear jeans & tshirts ( never tucked in ) mainly for comfort but also because I have always wore them. If going out somewhere nice I will put on a shirt with a nice pair of jeans or maybe a suit.
    From what I've seen of the youth of Ireland (males & females) they are the ones that could seriously do with some fashion tips.
    For us auld fella's we don't need to dress to impress, its all about the comfort

Why do you think the only alternative to a suit and tie for a middle aged man is jeans and a hoodie ?

So tell us OP....what should we be wearing? Are you male or female?

Help!!!! wrote: »
    I wear jeans & tshirts ( never tucked in ) mainly for comfort but also because I have always wore them. If going out somewhere nice I will put on a shirt with a nice pair of jeans or maybe a suit.
    From what I've seen of the youth of Ireland (males & females) they are the ones that could seriously do with some fashion tips.
    For us auld fella's we don't need to dress to impress, its all about the comfort

Jeans aren't comfortable, that's the strange thing

Jeans aren't comfortable, that's the strange thing

Yes they are if you get the right pair for you

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I really hate seeing people in tracksuits or other sports wear outside of sports! You don't wear them outside of it what can't they understand about that ? :( I was at a communion this year and one of the boys there not getting communion just a guest I'm guessing had a full green Adidas tracksuit bottom and top...at a communion ? I would no more leave a child of mine out in one. Just as well I didn't know who he was or I would have said it to them

I agree totally, I recall from the Bible that Jesus himself said 'Let him who weareth a tracksuit be excluded from the attestation of faith, and whomsoever cometh to me in baggy jeans shall be an abomination in my sight, and lo, he can fcuk right off,and I'm looking at you, Judas!" (Adidas 1.24.6)

So tell us OP....what should we be wearing? Are you male or female?

wear whatever you want, there's plenty of alternatives for middle aged men other than the now seemingly compulsory kids style grubby blue jeans, tracksuits, hoodies / tops etc.

wear whatever you want, there's plenty of alternatives for middle aged men other than the now seemingly compulsory kids style grubby blue jeans, tracksuits, hoodies / tops etc.

Why are they kids style? Do you not realise the kids are trying to dress like middle aged men?

• Advertisement

Why are they kids style? Do you not realise the kids are trying to dress like middle aged men?

back in reality, jeans look good on the young, not out of shape middle aged Irish males

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I think the op has a fetish for Farah slacks and wants to see more of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

back in reality, jeans look good on the young, not out of shape middle aged Irish males

That's your opinion but that's all it is. Tell us, what do you wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wait a second... what if someone ELSE doesn't like this new thing that they wear?!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You keep saying there are plenty of alternatives, but refuse to give examples and just keep saying wear what you want. Personally I want to wear jeans and t-shirts, but if I decided to change all that in the morning, what would you suggest I wear instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Here we go

Zaph wrote: »
    You keep saying there are plenty of alternatives, but refuse to give examples and just keep saying wear what you want. Personally I want to wear jeans and t-shirts, but if I decided to change all that in the morning, what would you suggest I wear instead?

Anything else you think of, can you think of anything else for yourself, is that the issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

People who follow trends and fashion are the biggest muppets in my opinion . especially looking back at the trends retrospectively.some trends were just ridiculous and people just followed them blindly because they were trying to be sophisticated.what do you want middle aged men wearing? Shirts get boring very quickly . especially for those of us who wear them to work everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a hint of the ghey off the well dressed look in fairness.
    Maybe that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anything else you think of, can you think of anything else for yourself, is that the issue ?

No, the issue is that you've been prattling on for a couple of pages now about how much you hate a particular style of dress, and yet you refuse to offer any opinion other than that. I have other clothes that I wear depending on the occasion, but you tell me what is, in your view, acceptable for a middle aged man to wear other than jeans and t-shirts for day-to-day casual wear. Anything other than those clothes is not an acceptable answer by the way, I want specifics.

Advertisement