Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

shayp83 wrote: »
    I'm glad you said it, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, I was like what is this strange food they got! Must try them soon loves an Indian food so I do. Still looking for some one beat my eastenders tho

If you love indian food i would tell you get a curry from Little India i have never been disappointed by that place as it has been where i have got my indian takeaway for the past 3 years in waterford.

Eastenders is ok there curry is hot but i don't rate there nam bread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was in Burzza Recently, the Food and service was a bit patchy, Pizza was good where as the Burgers were only ok. When things were calm the service was good and friendly but when things got busy the service got a little sloppy and even snippy at one point.

Over all though it was a good experience and I would go back. Although I have to say that "Burzza" is an awful name for a restaurant.

Was there last week, its all very meh I think. Felt very rushed, food not great for the price. Ill skip it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

shayp83 wrote: »
    Myself and da lack go to brooklyn pizza place in tramore, we can't get enough of the food there its fantastic and the staff are brilliant, it's always busy which is not a bad thing from a business point of view

Was there last night, fantastic food. The seafood pasta was REALLY good. Really good price also.

The only thing that kind of got to me was the noise, it seams to echo really badly in there, there was four of us and it was hard to hear each other.

But ill definitely be back. Great food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Felt I should post this as a contrition of some sorts, I brought six people out on Monday night to Mc Learys , as my usual haunts don't open on a Monday night if I'm honest.
    The party would be quite Dublin 4 and were a little disappointed in the menu, thought it was a little outdated and old fashioned.
    When the food came the story changed dramatically they loved the food and could not speak highly enough of it, so there ya go, quality wins out always.
    BTW they are moving 1st July to their new premises beside the tourist office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Felt I should post this as a contrition of some sorts, I brought six people out on Monday night to Mc Learys , as my usual haunts don't open on a Monday night if I'm honest.
    The party would be quite Dublin 4 and were a little disappointed in the menu, thought it was a little outdated and old fashioned.
    When the food came the story changed dramatically they loved the food and could not speak highly enough of it, so there ya go, quality wins out always.
    BTW they are moving 1st July to their new premises beside the tourist office

Where is the tourist office now? I thought it had moved from the Quay opposite the bus station, but I can't remember where it moved to.

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    Where is the tourist office now? I thought it had moved from the Quay opposite the bus station, but I can't remember where it moved to.

On the corner of Greyfriars on the Quay next to Jordans /la Fontana

On the corner of Greyfriars on the Quay next to Jordans /la Fontana

Oh yes. Sure I pass it every day, just couldn't remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

My husband and myself went to Dennison's tonight, it was excellent so we'll definitely be going back there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JimBobW

resently art in The Olive Tree - excellent from start to finish (especially the dessert!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Castle do a 3 course Sunday lunch for €36 which I think is reasonable. Went there last week and all courses were amazing. One of the best cooked sea bass that I ever had too. Bottle of wine made it an expensive enough trip, but on a sunny day there's few better places to wander around afterwards (although that was probably a bad idea given how stuffed we were)

• Advertisement

Best of Luck to Mc Learys today opening their spanking new restaurant on the Quay beside the tourist office.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Best of Luck to Mc Learys today opening their spanking new restaurant on the Quay beside the tourist office.

And what a restaurant it is too. They did a superb job on the place. Beautiful terrace, with the amazing grey friars backdrop and the upstairs seating will have some great views of any events that might take place on the plaza. They spared no expense on the signage and it looks fantastic. I hope it pays off for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

And what a restaurant it is too. They did a superb job on the place. Beautiful terrace, with the amazing grey friars backdrop and the upstairs seating will have some great views of any events that might take place on the plaza. They spared no expense on the signage and it looks fantastic. I hope it pays off for them now.

I was in Mac aleerys tonight it looks fantastic and the food was up to the usual high standards! was a great buzz in there also

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

I was in Mac aleerys tonight it looks fantastic and the food was up to the usual high standards! was a great buzz in there also

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

I've eaten in MOMO a few times and it's been lovely. Lunch-wise they do amazing sandwiches on freshly baked sourdough bread - super super delicious. Their catalan seafood stew is to die for. I really love the fact they source a lot of their stuff from smaller local producers (Aurelia cordials, Seagull bakery breads, Metalman and Dungarvan beers, Ballybeg greens, etc).

Amigos is more of a take-away (that you can sit in) but it deserves a mention for its delicious burritos and nachos with home-made salsas.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Was in McLearys last night, first time in new spot. It's beautiful. Had a lovely table upstairs by the window. Food was beautiful as always. The whole experience was a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

crustybla wrote: »
    Was in McLearys last night, first time in new spot. It's beautiful. Had a lovely table upstairs by the window. Food was beautiful as always. The whole experience was a pleasure.

Is there a new menu, or same as their last place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Went to Burza yesterday evening and tried the "Burza" special. Although the staff were nice, I would only rate the food as average. Their chips were only ok and the water they serve you at the start is lukewarm. As for the burger itself, it wasnt the best I have ever had nor the worst, the place is over-rated in my view. I wouldnt go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Went to Burza yesterday evening and tried the "Burza" special. Although the staff were nice, I would only rate the food as average. Their chips were only ok and the water they serve you at the start is lukewarm. As for the burger itself, it wasnt the best I have ever had nor the worst, the place is over-rated in my view. I wouldnt go back.

For some unknown reason no restaurant or chef in Waterford can cook a good burger. Can't understand it. I think that a burger HAS to be flame or char-grilled to add that amazing burnt flavor and it has to be served medium to retain the flavor of juicy meat inside and char-grilled outside.

I personally think that a good steak-burger restaurant would do very well with a choice of maybe 5 cuts of steak like sirloin, striploin, T-bone, Rib-eye, and 4-5 sauces, pepper, mushroom, béarnaise, garlic, etc.
    Same for the burgers with 2-3 burger options of different cuts of meat and sauces such as BBQ, etc. 4

Oh and a good vegi burger too.

Good profit margin, easy to cook, easy to hold stock and everyone loves a good burger with a beer or wine.

Here's some real burgers: http://www.twisper.com/magazine/top-10-2/top-10-best-burgers-in-the-world/

Last decent burger I had was in 33 the Mall years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Hi there
    Could anyone recommend a nice centrally located place for cheap and cheerful (and hopefully tasty) food? Don't mind if it's early bird or otherwise, pub or restaurant. Got a deal on a hotel and having a rare night way with the husband. I've never dined in Waterford before!!! Thanks

• Advertisement

anais wrote: »
    Hi there
    Could anyone recommend a nice centrally located place for cheap and cheerful (and hopefully tasty) food? Don't mind if it's early bird or otherwise, pub or restaurant. Got a deal on a hotel and having a rare night way with the husband. I've never dined in Waterford before!!! Thanks

Sheehans on the Quay do a value meal for €19.50, I think, for two courses. They are opposite Lucy's Flowers, not far from the bus station. McCleary's in further down, near the Tower Hotel, and that's pretty good. To be honest, there are loads of places. For a very special meal, try L'Atmosphere, in Henrietta Street - you come down the street from Christ Church cathedral towards the river and it's on your right. They do really good French bistro style food and not expensive if you go for the set menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Hi there

Tapas at Olive Tree on The Mall near Tower Hotel; Momo Patrick Street; not cheap but great La Boheme Georges Street; very good Bodega John Street and next door Burzza (great burgers and Pizza) - very good option is Goffs Bar - good value set menu and great Pub also on John's Street
    Others as mentioned by katydid good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

is it this weekend? I've found it quite hard to get last minute bookings in the last few months. If it is I'd recommend Geoffs (pub but nice food and you can't book), I think Burzza keep a certain number of tables every night for walk ins.
    If it's not this weekend (or you can get a booking) I'm a fan of Emilianos (Italian), and Bodega (although not very cheap if it's not early bird). The restaurants mentioned above are all nice too. We're quite spoilt with restaurant choices really!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Thanks for all your qiick-and detailed replies! Yes it is for this weekend....Goffs or is it Geoffs sounds like an option or bodega seems very popular. Thanks again☺

Thanks for all your qiick-and detailed replies! Yes it is for this weekend....Goffs or is it Geoffs sounds like an option or bodega seems very popular. Thanks again☺

Geoffs it is. Great food, and a cool atmosphere. Or if you fancy a pizza, there's Gino's Pizzas across the way.

Spoiled for choice in Waterford, we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

katydid wrote: »
    Geoffs it is. Great food, and a cool atmosphere. Or if you fancy a pizza, there's Gino's Pizzas across the way.

Spoiled for choice in Waterford, we are.

I would also recommend Geoffs or for 20euro early bird Latmosphere is perfect as you get a 3 course meal and a glass of wine but book a table there.
    I would choose Latmosphere as it is a proper sit down meal. Very rustic French but excellent food.

I would also recommend Geoffs or for 20euro early bird Latmosphere is perfect as you get a 3 course meal and a glass of wine but book a table there.
    I would choose Latmosphere as it is a proper sit down meal. Very rustic French but excellent food.

My favourite restaurant in Waterford, to be honest. Where I go for my birthday every year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gfy

I ordered a delivery from Blue Mango the other day - ordered a dish called sag aloo as a main which is basically potatoes and spinach.. They basically thought it was ok to send me fully raw potatoes. It's not like a few pieces were raw. EVERY. SINGLE. POTATO... was raw. totally uncooked.

If the whole dish consists of potatoes.. and every potato is inedible.. well that makes the whole dish inedible. 13 euro for nothing.

Buyer beware; Blue Mango in Waterford don't give a f**k and just take your $$$MONEY$$$ for essentially nothing in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

gfy wrote: »
    I ordered a delivery from Blue Mango the other day - ordered a dish called sag aloo as a main which is basically potatoes and spinach.. They basically thought it was ok to send me fully raw potatoes. It's not like a few pieces were raw. EVERY. SINGLE. POTATO... was raw. totally uncooked.

If the whole dish consists of potatoes.. and every potato is inedible.. well that makes the whole dish inedible. 13 euro for nothing.

Buyer beware; Blue Mango in Waterford don't give a f**k and just take your $$$MONEY$$$ for essentially nothing in return.

Did you offer this feedback to the restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

gfy wrote: »

They would have replaced that no problem.

Advertisement