Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your irish 23 for the 2019 rugby world cup

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 bessiem8

Fwiw Brewer has looked pretty good for Terenure when he has been healthy. That's been rare enough the past two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

I put Peter Robb in my team as a total curveball and in the hope it might spark some discussion but went totally unnoticed. I reckon it's unlikely he'll make the breakthrough as he's struggling to get game time with Connacht eagles atm.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the young lad? He's an absolute mutant of a human being. Has all kind of records in the Leinster gym from what I've heard. Haven't actually seen enough of him to know whether he can play ball or if he's just a lump of meat

I put Peter Robb in my team as a total curveball and in the hope it might spark some discussion but went totally unnoticed. I reckon it's unlikely he'll make the breakthrough as he's struggling to get game time with Connacht eagles atm.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the young lad? He's an absolute mutant of a human being. Has all kind of records in the Leinster gym from what I've heard. Haven't actually seen enough of him to know whether he can play ball or if he's just a lump of meat

said a lot when Leinster passed on adding him to the academy..

thought it was a mistake at the time but he didn't have a great year last year.. physically huge but not sure how much of a passing game he offers and he has no kicking game..

hopefully it works out for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

Yeah if Leinster had a 12 with that sort of physicality and decided to let him go he must have some serious holes in his game

Yeah if Leinster had a 12 with that sort of physicality and decided to let him go he must have some serious holes in his game

they've been wrong before so hopefully they are this time and Robb can make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wish I'd posted in this four years ago. I dunno if anyone read 9 pages into the told thread, but GerM made a pretty good prediction, now to be fair, he made it in May 2012, so I guess it was at the end of the season.
    GerM wrote: »

I can see something like this:

15. Kearney
    14. Bowe
    13. Earls
    12. AN Other
    11. Zebo
    10. Sexton
    9. Murray
    8. Heaslip
    7. POM
    6. SOB
    5. POC
    4. Ryan
    3. Ross
    2. Best
    1. Healy

16. Strauss
    17. McAllister
    18. Furlong
    19. Toner
    20. Ryan
    21. Reddan
    22. Jackson
    23. Payne

Tell you what, he made a better stab at predicting a team more than 3 years ago than I could have done 3 weeks ago. I'd go as far as saying his team would be a perfectly believable selection for an important world cup match, with the exception of probably McAllister and Dom Ryan. AN other being Henshaw of course!

For 2019, I think his method shows promise, anyone knocking around now will probably still be knocking around in a few years.

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore
    Toner
    Henderson
    POM
    SOB
    Healsip

Murray
    Sexton

Zebo
    Henshaw
    Bundee Aki Ringrose
    Gilroy
    Kelleher

Strauss
    Furlong
    Healy
    ANother
    Heenan
    L McGrath
    Byrne
    Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wish I'd posted in this four years ago. I dunno if anyone read 9 pages into the told thread, but GerM made a pretty good prediction, now to be fair, he made it in May 2012, so I guess it was at the end of the season.

Tell you what, he made a better stab at predicting a team more than 3 years ago than I could have done 3 weeks ago. I'd go as far as saying his team would be a perfectly believable selection for an important world cup match, with the exception of probably McAllister and Dom Ryan. AN other being Henshaw of course!

For 2019, I think his method shows promise, anyone knocking around now will probably still be knocking around in a few years.

McGrath
    Cronin
    Moore
    Toner
    Henderson
    POM
    SOB
    Healsip

Murray
    Sexton

Zebo
    Henshaw
    Bundee Aki Ringrose
    Gilroy
    Kelleher

Strauss
    Furlong
    Healy
    ANother
    Heenan
    L McGrath
    Byrne
    Fitzgerald

That AN Other is interesting, nobody had a clue what was going to happen post-D'Arcy (and BOD), things tend to work themselves out and I think they worked out pretty well in this case (praise Joe). It also highlights how impossible this whole exercise is, Henshaw-Payne will be our centre pairing for this World Cup and good luck to anyone predicting that 4 years ago, I couldn't even see it happening 4 minutes before the team was announced for that SA game

• Registered Users Posts: 44 leinster blue boys

B
    bradders90 wrote: »
    He was upper 6th/year 13/last year of school call it what you will which in england makes him u18 but the irish system works on calender years most likely making him a u19 in irish eyes. It wouldn't of been impossible for him to play for them sides, in fact the whole exile system is set up so that anglo irishmen get picked for ireland. You go to regional trials, then get picked for the irish exiles which tours ireland plays the provinces.ireland coaches watch the games and select from the 5 teams (4 provinces +exiles). recent exiles in u18s clubs and u19s include, sean o'hagan, dom gorard (st benedicts, ealing), sam arnold (cranleigh, surrey), jake byrne (warwick school, warwickshire), brett connon (newcastle), niall saunders (epsom, surrey), jack coombes (hartpur, gloucester), and otto gray (canford, sussex).
    It is getting very tiresome listening to the same old stuff coming out how he is the next big thing etc when in reality he is no better than any underage outhalf in ireland.
    Sorry about grammar and wording on phone right now so hard to proof read. but hopefully i got my point across. Its nothing personal i just think you need to stop pushing him so hard, it gets irritating
    Bradders I dont keep pushing for sheedy,I am sn ex Ireland international,who taught him rugby at Millfield ,where he captained our first fifteen ,the lad is gifted,he toured Ireland as a 17 year old with exiles,but coaches decided to put him in a very poor u 19s exile squad ,instead of his proper she if u 18s who included Arnold and were superb,please you stop being so ignorant an please know your facts ,or start watching gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

B
    Bradders I dont keep pushing for sheedy,I am sn ex Ireland international,who taught him rugby at Millfield ,where he captained our first fifteen ,the lad is gifted,he toured Ireland as a 17 year old with exiles,but coaches decided to put him in a very poor u 19s exile squad ,instead of his proper she if u 18s who included Arnold and were superb,please you stop being so ignorant an please know your facts ,or start watching gaa

Ehh.... All 27 of your posts are about Sheedy.

Bradders you need to get a life,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I am sn ex Ireland international...please you stop being so ignorant an please know your facts ,or start watching gaa
    Bradders you need to get a life,

I'd like to think an ex international would be a bit more civil. Discussions shouldn't be this.....let's say harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Watched him the whole way up through school - has always been a monster in the contact area; but to look at him as a one dimensional bosh machine does him a disservice. He has a decent pass on him and isn't afraid to get stuck into the dirty work.

I'm not sure where they'd be available but take a look at the Ireland U20s 6N 2014 if you want to see some of his play.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't posted in the rugby forum for ages and whilst I admit to only scanning some of the pages here Dominic Ryan's name seems like a big ommission. Any thoughts?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd like to think an ex international would be a bit more civil. Discussions shouldn't be this.....let's say harsh.

Bladders as a retired international and now school teacher,I like to promote young lads from my school - millfield,wether ther Irish or not ,but when a young Irish qualified lad comes along,I really try to put him in the spotlight,and possibly give him a chance to further his career,its just you seem quite rude and arrogant,you are probably one of these armchair critics ,who has never played the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

errlloyd wrote: »

I have it on good authority he was pretty drunk making that selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ah lads, this thread is only a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Haven't posted in the rugby forum for ages and whilst I admit to only scanning some of the pages here Dominic Ryan's name seems like a big ommission. Any thoughts?

I think if you'd posted this four years ago I'd have agreed, but it looks like persistent injury and the sheer number of back-rowers coming through has wrecked Ryan's chances of really making it to the top level. He's a useful player but he's 25 now, he's been overtaken by Ruddock, Murphy and Conan at both national and provincial level, he's got the likes of van der Flier and Leavy coming up behind him at Leinster.

He needs to get moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Quick question - if you'd asked me this three/four years back, I'd have backed Tadhg Furlong to leapfrog Marty Moore by 2019 all day and every day; not that Moore was bad, but Furlong seemed completely made for it. Notice virtually everyone has Moore to be top dog by then. Is Furlong struggling to have the impact at senior level, or getting impeded by injuries, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Quick question - if you'd asked me this three/four years back, I'd have backed Tadhg Furlong to leapfrog Marty Moore by 2019 all day and every day; not that Moore was bad, but Furlong seemed completely made for it. Notice virtually everyone has Moore to be top dog by then. Is Furlong struggling to have the impact at senior level, or getting impeded by injuries, or what?

Good point.

No, Furlong is going along very nicely in Leinster for his age. Has had to step up in big games a number of times and has held his own. Leinster are really blessed with props these days.

I suspect Moore/Furlong will be the new Ross/Moore with both players expected to put in a good shift every big game. Very hard to tell who will be first choice in four years time though. I guess people are going with Moore because his transition into the international scene has been so seamless. Doesn't seem like any game can phase him.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Everyone was terrible the last time, really bad. Nobody picked POC, a lot of people dropped people too quickly in general.

I beg to differ!

Your_irish_22_for_the_2015_rugby_world_cup_Pag.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The year before that season was probably the year I watched the most Super XV and Sykes looked good, his capitulation just goes to show that anything can happen with young 2nd Rows, (O'Donoghue, Nagle being other examples!). I remember that season thinking Mumm and Sykes were two guys who looked perfectly suited to NH rugby, unfortuantely we got the dud of the pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sangre wrote: »
    Good point.

No, Furlong is going along very nicely in Leinster for his age. Has had to step up in big games a number of times and has held his own. Leinster are really blessed with props these days.

I suspect Moore/Furlong will be the new Ross/Moore with both players expected to put in a good shift every big game. Very hard to tell who will be first choice in four years time though. I guess people are going with Moore because his transition into the international scene has been so seamless. Doesn't seem like any game can phase him.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Moore stepping up so easily has probably nailed him on ahead of Furlong who we've yet to see at that level. Furlong has the ability to pass him out though certainly. It'll make for an interesting battle at Leinster and Ireland over the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

B
    Bladders as a retired international and now school teacher,I like to promote young lads from my school - millfield,wether ther Irish or not ,but when a young Irish qualified lad comes along,I really try to put him in the spotlight,and possibly give him a chance to further his career,its just you seem quite rude and arrogant,you are probably one of these armchair critics ,who has never played the sport
    I assume that you don't teach English....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The year before that season was probably the year I watched the most Super XV and Sykes looked good, his capitulation just goes to show that anything can happen with young 2nd Rows, (O'Donoghue, Nagle being other examples!). I remember that season thinking Mumm and Sykes were two guys who looked perfectly suited to NH rugby, unfortuantely we got the dud of the pair.

I think it's clear evidence no one should ever listen to you. PRL are evil after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I put Earls in the mix to support him for this RWC, but I'm surprised so few if not nobody picked Olding at 13 for 2019...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I don't think Nagle is an example of that since he chose to leave rugby (he was offered another contract with Munster and he had offers from France and England).

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

15-Jones (31)
    14-Gilroy (28)
    13-Ringrose (24)
    12-Henshaw (26)
    11-Zebo (29)
    10-Sexton (34)
    9-Murray (30)
    1-McGrath (29)
    2-Cronin (33)
    3-Moore (29)
    4-Toner (33)
    5-Henderson (27)
    6-O'Mahony (29)
    7-Murphy (29)
    8-Heaslip (35)

Backrow - likely to be challenged by many out there - Dan Leavy & O Donoghue for example. Hard to call who will emerge, but many will. I have as much doubt that O'Brien will still be playing in 2019 as I had about Ferris playing in 2015 when this thread was done 4 years ago. Sad to say it though.

Second row - those two will be main stays for a long time I reckon.

Front row. I just can't see Healy playing then. He played too much at a young age.

Half backs - I expect Ross Byrne to be a serious challenger. Hanrahan as well. I can't see anyone displacing Murray though.

Centres - I'd be pretty confident that that duo will emerge as a combo, even though Ringrose has yet to break through. Fantastic talent.

Wings & FB. Impossible to call. I can't even call what wings will start in a few weeks time, so 2019 is an impossibility. Kearney could still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't think Nagle is an example of that since he chose to leave rugby (he was offered another contract with Munster and he had offers from France and England).

I think he is an example because he completely failed to deliver on his early promise and was nowhere near as good as we all hoped he would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

15-Jones (31)
    14-Gilroy (28)
    13-Earls (31)
    12-Henshaw (26)
    11-Zebo (29)
    10-Sexton (34)
    9-Murray (30)
    1-Healy (31)
    2-Cronin (33)
    3-Moore (34)
    4-Toner (33)
    5-Henderson (27)
    6-O'Mahony (c) [29]
    7-O'Brien (32)
    8-Murphy (28)

16-Strauss (33)
    17-McGrath (30)
    18-Furlong (26)
    19-Foley (31)
    20-Ruddock (28)
    21-Marmion (27)
    22-Jackson (27)
    23-D.Kearney (30)

Avg age of starting XV-30

Leinster-7
    Munster-5
    Ulster-2
    Connacht-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think if you'd posted this four years ago I'd have agreed, but it looks like persistent injury and the sheer number of back-rowers coming through has wrecked Ryan's chances of really making it to the top level. He's a useful player but he's 25 now, he's been overtaken by Ruddock, Murphy and Conan at both national and provincial level, he's got the likes of van der Flier and Leavy coming up behind him at Leinster.

He needs to get moving.

didn't he get his first full cap in the last autumn international series? I know he's has his injuries but he's hardly fallen that far down the pecking order since then, or has he? Genuine question - is he in the extended WC training squad?

Advertisement