Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spice Bag

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I might be becoming too posh these days - I read spice bag and was wondering if the OP was talking about a bouquet garni... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

And to think all this time I'd short changed myself with the belief that a tray of 3 in 1 (which is hard to beat for faty carb satisfaction) was the ultimate drunk food that a Chinese could offer when in fact they were practicing the ultimate in cullinary fusion food, 'drunk Irishman meets drunken chinese' and creates a bag of heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I can feel my blood pressure rising just reading about this "delicacy".

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Spice bag, some curry sauce and a slice of bread, pour some sauce on the bread, few chips, bits of chicken, chuck on a chilli or two.

Best sandwich I've had ina while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

major bill wrote: »
    Sunflower at the Orwell Shops do the best one.......they even extended their delivery routes to cater for the people raving about it :)

IIRC, they invented it. So, they do the original, but not the best. Choices do the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

amdublin wrote: »
    I believe the term for theirs is Spicy Bag.

They're amazey balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Chips, shredded, breaded chicken with loads of chilli and onions. It's lovely!

A tasty tip is to stamp on the bag a few times before eating it to mush it all together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

My local chinese has not caught up yet with the spice bag revolution. They do a spicy chips which is basically the spice powder sprinkled over the chips. They charge an extra 50 cent for the spice:mad:

Some places call it a spice box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My local chinese has not caught up yet with the spice bag revolution. They do a spicy chips which is basically the spice powder sprinkled over the chips. They charge an extra 50 cent for the spice:mad:

Some places call it a spice box

There's a spice bag with chips and chicken strips or a spice box which has wings and chicken balls added in, or at least that's the way it is down my local. Would do you for about 3 dinners the size of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dayum now I want one too but it seems it's only found in the pale.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/spice-bag-take-away-2067856-Apr2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Two places in town here do them !! Spice trays they're called here though, Lots of spicey chips, crispy shredded chicken , onions , carrots and peppers . Delicious !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Preusse wrote: »
    Oooh, we got the new menu for our local Chinese through the door yesterday. They have now included the Spice Bag! :D Happy times, I really need to try this!

So I ordered it tonight and they were LOVELY!:D They called it Spicy Bag on the menu and it was what I expected, a big bag full of crispy chips with shredded chicken chili peppers and salt.

Next step, ordering some after a night out on the sauce. Should be fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Preusse wrote: »
    So I ordered it tonight and they were LOVELY!:D They called it Spicy Bag on the menu and it was what I expected, a big bag full of crispy chips with shredded chicken chili peppers and salt.

Next step, ordering some after a night out on the sauce. Should be fantastic!

Pace yourself with the spicebag goodness, if you keep getting it you'll soon get sick of it. Trust me I was that soldier...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SJ.00

So back to my original question, they don't do spice bags/trays in Cork..
    Ah nuts.. Its always the same.

Many thanks for all your reply's, new to this forum chat kinda a thing and it seems first try all worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

SJ.00 wrote: »

Many thanks for all your reply's, new to this forum chat kinda a thing and it seems first try all worked well.

And to think that even Carlow has the Spice Bag.

Rebel County alright.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

They're lovely after a feed of pints, but they tear the hole off you the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Duff wrote: »
    They're lovely after a feed of pints, but they tear the hole off you the next day.

You have an incredibly delicate arse so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

You have an incredibly delicate arse so.

Thanks for noticing :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

SJ.00 wrote: »

Fear not, helps is at hand. The Lemon tree on college road do them. Ask for a spicy bag.

Edit: https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-Lemontree-CollegeRoad/menu

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This thread aroused my curiosity, so I got one of these from my local Chinese tonight. Verdict: delicious! My hubby wanted on too, but thankfully people on here mentioned that the feckin things are huge so we only ordered one between us. I've got quite a 'healthy' appetite, and there's no way I'd be able to finish one on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I've just ordered a spice bag and a 3 in 1.

Some good pregnancy nutrients right there. I'm f*cking starving and so looking forward to this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

biko wrote: »
    Dayum now I want one too but it seems it's only found in the pale.
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/spice-bag-take-away-2067856-Apr2015/

What? The VERY FIRST chinese place they mention is in Carlow!

Edit: Im very sorry, that was terribly narky! May have a touch of PMS, stay back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Spice bag? I'll believe it when I see it up close. Soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I do love a spice bag. Was in the local Chinese a few weeks back (waiting for my spice bag) and a lad came in and ordered a spice bag with no chilis. WTF? That's just a bag surely?

The best bag I've found so far in Dublin is in a chinese down the road from MVP

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I've just ordered a spice bag and a 3 in 1.

Some good pregnancy nutrients right there. I'm f*cking starving and so looking forward to this!!!

I hear the benefits to the growing child are myriad! Sure have you not heard of the new Pregnacare Spice Bag vitamins? Very beneficial, but surprisingly difficult to find. :pac:

RichardCeann

Many thanks Richard, without fail ill be going there tomo night after the end of my shift....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Just got one because of this fecking thread.

Does not disappoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I've dined in a few Michelin Star restaurants over the years, and while the food I had was always very nice, it fell short of the contents of a good spice bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I thought a Spice Bag was a very old, very sad Spice Girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I am all for eating things when you have no idea what they contain.

Just go for it OP, sight unseen, what could possibly go wrong?

*swan flies out of thread chased by a homeless Polish person

FYP.

• Advertisement

Oh ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

that is a thing of beauty

that is a thing of beauty

Even better when I poured curry sauce over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you're nothing but a filthy swine

Got the spice bag in The Lemon Tree on College Road in Cork and I must say 7/10. Not quite a Dublin spice bag but close enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What is this spice bag that you all speak of?

Sounds like perfect booze soakage grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

That must be at least 5 weightwatcher points!

I heard about them and sympathised with Cork.

Tonight I have finally ordered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

!! Viva la Spiceolución !!

• Advertisement

Awesome. Thank you and goodnight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Chinatown on the Newcastle road in Galway does them. Never heard of these until right now but they look amazing. Must try...

Anyone trying it should know it's very dry and you should get some sort of sauce. I tried mine with honey sauce and it was amazing, but I'd usually just go for curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Anyone trying it should know it's very dry and you should get some sort of sauce. I tried mine with honey sauce and it was amazing, but I'd usually just go for curry.

All you need is a few beers/soft drinks to wash it down.

Sauce will kill the crispiness of the chicken!

All you need is a few beers/soft drinks to wash it down.

Sauce will kill the crispiness of the chicken!

No way, you're talking sh*te :( you need dippage!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

This absolutely reeks of hype, but looks tasty enough all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Had one of these on Friday night, and I will be in no hurry to ever have another.

Chips (chinese takeaway chips aren't great anyway) and pieces of chicken in batter, with some kind of a spice mixture shook over it, and a few finely sliced chillies inn the mix.

I was sober when I ate it though, possibly food of God's when locked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had one of these on Friday night, and I will be in no hurry to ever have another.

Chips (chinese takeaway chips aren't great anyway) and pieces of chicken in batter, with some kind of a spice mixture shook over it, and a few finely sliced chillies inn the mix.

I was sober when I ate it though, possibly food of God's when locked?

Sometimes I prefer Chinese chips. They always give you loads and they're not as greasy as chipper chips.
    I also like to add jalapenos to a spice-bag. Lovely vinegary hit and crunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sometimes I prefer Chinese chips. They always give you loads and they're not as greasy as chipper chips.
    I also like to add jalapenos to a spice-bag. Lovely vinegary hit and crunch.

Tbf, one of the posters here posted a picture of his, and the chips looked pretty good, nowhere like my local chinese, they're more of the thinly cut, McDonald's kinda chips, more fries than chips imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Spice Salt Bag really is disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Spice Salt Bag really is disgusting
    You put a "the" in front there like you are talking about a consistent product like "The Big Mac is disgusting".

Where did you get your spice bag?

I like salt & chilli wings and some places are far too salty for my taste, so I no longer order them there.

I think they are poor value compared to other things in most Chinese takeaways, they suit people who want to eat on the go, the kids in my area all get them, other things are harder to eat while standing around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement