Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Monaghan v Tyrone, Saturday 4pm *MOD WARNING #178*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

they can't say much in the studio, Canavan was part of that setup and was as good as Cavanagh at cheating, Jim McGuinness produced a fairly cynical team, but not to the extent that Tyrone take it to, as for Senan Connell, he criticizes no one, everyone is brilliant, playing happy happy football, possibly the most neutral (non-existant) commentator ever seen on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe in the semi final there can be a diving contest between McCann and Aidan O'Mahony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

threeball wrote: »
    Its not Ulster, its Tyrone. They are always at the party when it kicks off. You never see the really dirty stuff from the other 8. Messy yes but not out and out filth and cheating. Its ingrained in Tyrone football from underage.

Did you not see Monaghan today? They spent the entire first half sneering and jeering in their opponents faces. If Hughes had focussed more on football rather than that sh1te in the first half then maybe Monaghan would have managed a few more scores.

I am no fan of Tyrone but there was two of them in it. Tyrone were hugely cynical in the last 20 mins but Monagahn were in full court press gamesmanship mode from the 1st minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

The GAA need to bring in a bringing the game in to disrepute sanction asap. Should be able to retrospectively look at games like this and ban players involved in incidents and cheating like today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The GAA administrators are 100% to blame for any unsporting behaviour because they have tolerated it and done nothing about it and because they don't seem to have realized that people will do whatever they can to win as long as they are let away with it.There is no leadership in the GAA and too much democracy so this results a bunch of commitees which dilutes any leadership or any power to change things.

Things won't change until this is accepted first

It doesn't matter what you do in the GAA anymore you don't get a necessary punishment and there is far too much sympathy for people who break the rules , "ah sure he's put a lot of effort in it would be dreadful to see him miss a big game" seems to be the prevailing attitude rather than punishing people when necessary.

Brian Gavin is allowed to referee the AI semi final on Sunday despite being banned for being abusive to a fellow referee at a recent match and getting a ban for it.

A player is assaulted in a recent challenge match and nothing has been done about it.

Austin Gleeson is involved in a mass brawl in a club match but continues to play for Waterford in the championship.

etc etc

Until there is a very hard line taken on discipline we will continue to get the same sh1t over and over again because the players know that if you have an ass ride it and the GAA are the ass for tolerating any indiscipline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Did anyone else think Tyrone no. 23's antics were ridiculous from the moment he came on? Seemed to be at the centre of nearly every incident and if he wasn't he was quick enough making his way into the situation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'd be cheering on Dublin if they were against Tyrone at this stage.
    The dives from McCann and McAliskey were an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Did anyone else think Tyrone no. 23's antics were ridiculous from the moment he came on? Seemed to be at the centre of nearly every incident and if he wasn't he was quick enough making his way into the situation

It's bred into them lot up there,I'm not surprised one bit.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Calling teams scum etc is not allowed, a number of posters have already been carded for it, if it continues next step is bans

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Did you not see Monaghan today? They spent the entire first half sneering and jeering in their opponents faces. If Hughes had focussed more on football rather than that sh1te in the first half then maybe Monaghan would have managed a few more scores.

I am no fan of Tyrone but there was two of them in it. Tyrone were hugely cynical in the last 20 mins but Monagahn were in full court press gamesmanship mode from the 1st minute.

Exactly, I thought Tyrone restrained themselves very well for the first sixty minutes. Both Gollogly and McAdam were very lucky to stay on the field.The first black card decision was a joke.
    If Monaghan had tried to play football instead of looking for fights they would have been better off. Ciaran Hughes was a disgrace the whole game.
    Today is the first time I've heard Darragh "I really hate Tyrone because I couldn't beat them" O Se. My god, what a clown.
    Tyrone let themselves down at the end a bit but Monaghan had no interest in playing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

If this Tyrone team beat Kerry it will surely be the ugliest win of all times. Not a game to to forward to after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

tanko wrote: »
    Exactly, I thought Tyrone restrained themselves very well for the first sixty minutes. Both Gollogly and McAdam were very lucky to stay on the field.The first black card decision was a joke.
    If Monaghan had tried to play football instead of looking for fights they would have been better off. Ciaran Hughes was a disgrace the whole game.
    Today is the time I've heard Darragh "I really hate Tyrone because I couldn't beat them" O Se. My god, what a clown.
    Tyrone let themselves down at the end a bit but Monaghan had no interest in playing football.

Exactly, Monaghan tried to turn it into a Clones-type Ulster championship game from the outset. The best team by far are through and i am looking forward to Tyrone v Kerry as i think Tyrone have the attitude to really put it up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I can't understand the hate on so many people seem to have for Tyrone here. They were by far the lesser of two evils. At least they tried to play football. It took Monaghan 55 minutes to really drag Tyrone down to their level and the better team won. At least Kerry wont be pulling and dragging from the first minute (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

If Tyrone do manage to beat Kerry, I hope Dublin or Mayo will beat them, anyone but them.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

Mod: Here is not the place for that crap. Cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

Never listened to commentators when watching the game in the stands but I thought the decisions against Tyrone in the first half were a disgrace.

Interesting to see people feel the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If Tyrone do manage to beat Kerry, I hope Dublin or Mayo will beat them, anyone but them.

Think you have a safe enough bet there then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ideally Tyrone beat Kerry in an ill tempered affair, then dublin give tyrone a hiding with a ref who won't fall for their shenanigans. I'd settle for Mayo schooling them too

I hear Tyrone have added a hair dresser to their physio team for the next match, they're expecting some fierce off the ball ruffling from the kerry defence

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Did anyone else see the Tyrone selector squaring up to both McGuinness & Clerkin??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    Never listened to commentators when watching the game in the stands but I thought the decisions against Tyrone in the first half were a disgrace.

Interesting to see people feel the complete opposite.

The black card was extremely harsh, other than that I felt Tyrone got some soft kickable frees at our end. One with Cavanagh falling over comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Judging from some posts here i obviously didnt see as much from the stands as those watching on tv did.
    " it took monaghan 55 mins to drag tyrone down to their level"
    Wtf ??
    The ref was poor but first half he slightly hurt monaghan more.
    And as regards contentious tackles i didnt see high neck tackles from any monaghan player and two from tyrone
    He gave tyrone some very soft frees also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The GAA really need to seriously take some lessons from rugby. And I'm not saying that as I rugby diehard, I grew up in a GAA stronghold (Kerry).

The referee has much greater respect in rugby. Remember a few years back when an English player missed the Lions tour by insulting the referee in the English premiership final? Got a straight red. No exceptions were made that he was selected to be a Lion.

The rugby unions tend to be much more supportive if their referees too.

By all means you can try cynical sh*te in rugby but if you're caught expect consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One thing I noticed from this game was how much Monaghan lacked fight and intensity.

In the second half when they wete 4 and t point down anytime they got a score they never pressurized the Tyrone kickout and all Tyrone did was up the field and get a point themselves

Really pathetic from the champion of what is supposed to be the toughest province in the country.

They have no one but themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed every time Monaghan got a score it was astonishing the lack of pressure put on the Tyrone kickout..Inevitable result another Tyrone score.

I've yet to see the now infamous incident,too far away in Croker.Must watch back SKY.

I thought it was a game that mixed the good with the bad.Lots of great scores,ugly blanket defences and totally unnecessary behaviour.Monaghan really underperformed.

I'm afraid to say Marty Duffy's whistle happy nature contributed to a stop start contest.Play appeared to stop for every minor injury and they were ample.

The usual suspects stood out for Tyrone Peter Harte,Matt McCarron,McCurry.Sean Cavanagh absolutely destroyed Monaghan inside,they simply had no answer.I thought Bradley was quiet.Tyrone have some serious inside forwards.

Tyrone can cause Kerry serious problems,not sure if they can handle Kerry physically.Plenty of history between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

seligehgit wrote: »
    Agreed every time Monaghan got a score it was astonishing the lack of pressure put on the Tyrone kickout..Inevitable result another Tyrone score.

I've yet to see the now infamous incident,too far away in Croker.Must watch back SKY.

I thought it was a game that mixed the good with the bad.Lots of great scores,ugly blanket defences and totally unnecessary behaviour.Monaghan really underperformed.

I'm afraid to say Marty Duffy's whistle happy nature contributed to a stop start contest.Play appeared to stop for every minor injury and they were ample.

The usual suspects stood out for Tyrone Peter Harte,Matt McCarron,McCurry.Sean Cavanagh absolutely destroyed Monaghan inside,they simply had no answer.I thought Bradley was quiet.Tyrone have some serious inside forwards.

Tyrone can cause Kerry serious problems,not sure if they can handle Kerry physically.Plenty of history between them.

Not much to argue with there .
    First half tyrone took 3 quick kick outs only to be pulled back , dont know why, if there was a reason fair enough but it seemed the ref just wanted it on his terms
    Watched a bit of it this morning and s cavanagh up to his old self pulling down mcmanus by the jersey in a 2 man tackle. .we got the free ok but black card if it was seen would've been deserved
    Agree the ref was whistle happy and didnt help the game at all.
    The infamous 'hair tussle ' was a joke and until today didnt realise it was why hughes was sent off
    Bad day for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

cjmc wrote: »
    The infamous 'hair tussle ' was a joke and until today didnt realise it was why hughes was sent off
    Bad day for everyone

I'm not 100% sure butapparently Duffy sent Hughes off for hitting Richie Donnelly directly prior to the McCann incident. Doesn't excuse McCann all the same.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've deleted a number of deliberate inflammatory posts - talk about the game but any more carry on we will be giving people some holidays from the GAA forum, that goes across all threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah the Tyrone selector is a very energetic character for want of a better word. He also caused that little incident in Ballybofey in May as the players were leaving the pitch at HT.

Tyrone though really do rub people up the wrong way and trouble seems to follow them this year. But Darren Hughes can say nothing since he did the same thing to Rory Kavanagh with the boot.

I'd say it's be a feisty encounter with Kerry but Tyrone are going well and I hope they hammer Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

doc_17 wrote: »
    Yeah the Tyrone selector is a very energetic character for want of a better word. He also caused that little incident in Ballybofey in May as the players were leaving the pitch at HT.

Tyrone though really do rub people up the wrong way and trouble seems to follow them this year. But Darren Hughes can say nothing since he did the same thing to Rory Kavanagh with the boot.

I'd say it's be a feisty encounter with Kerry but Tyrone are going well and I hope they hammer Kerry.

How does he get away with it? McGuinness then actually pushed him out of the way & caught him in the face, actually thought he might of got in trouble over it! Would love to know what he was saying!

It was won & lost due to the fact Tyrone made Monaghan work very hard for their scores whereas Tyrone cantered down the pitch & put up a score within seconds of the kick out. Same happened in 2013 which is a shame because I honestly felt that if Monaghan overcame Tyrone there was an All Ireland final appearance in them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

doc_17 wrote: »

Gavin Devlin, he was centre-half back in 2003 but was always a bit too slow - I don't think he played for Tyrone again after being taken to the cleaners in the first half of the 2005 quarter-final against Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement