Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

glasso wrote: »
    if you do the upgrade option you don't need a key. you only need a key if you're doing a clean install (where it wipes your hd completely). if you upgrade to win 10 and want to do a clean install you can use jellybean key finder to get win 10 key which you would enter for a clean install.

You don't need a key for a clean install on a computer that was upgraded. Also, the key that jellybean finds is a generic key that all upgraded versions will show. It will not activate the windows install. When doing a clean install for a computer that was upgraded you need to skip the part where it asks for a key, then log into you Microsoft account to activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking for a bit of advise will upgrade soon to win 10 and then do a clean install but looking to install on a ssd will I have a problem as its new hardware? Where would the best place to buy a ssd?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advise will upgrade soon to win 10 and then do a clean install but looking to install on a ssd will I have a problem as its new hardware? Where would the best place to buy a ssd?

On my laptop I upgraded the windows OS on my HDD. Then I did a clean install on my SSD. It worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

On my laptop I upgraded the windows OS on my HDD. Then I did a clean install on my SSD. It worked fine for me.

Where did you buy the Ssd?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Where did you buy the Ssd?

I think it was Amazon but I got it a while ago before the exchange rate went to crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

Shred wrote: »
    I'm impressed so far, it's very smooth. I tested Xbox One streaming and it worked perfectly, did some (PC) gaming last night and no issues so far.

So I have a question:

I'm just waiting on my new case to arrive and then I will be building a new PC next week. What steps are involved in getting my fully activated W10 onto this (I have a retail W7 key)? I've had a look around and there are some mixed messages on the MS support forums, hopefully I don't need to go the route of installing W7 and upgrading again before I can do a clean W10 install.

I didn't realise until after this post that W10 uses a generic license key, not your existing W7/W8 one.

So for anyone else considering the same this is what I did:

1. De-activated the W7 license on my old machine
    2. Installed W7 onto my new one (along with SP1 to be sure)
    3. Activated the W7 license
    4. Upgraded to W10, signed in with my MS account and ensured it was activated.
    5. Performed a clean install from a bootable USB, skipped the license key prompt (it prompted twice, separately) and signed in again with my MS account.

All is good and the license is activated.

FWIW, I inadvertently used a 32bit W7 disk but just used a 64bit W10 ISO for the clean install (going from the upgraded 32bit W10, for clarity).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I installed windows 10 and while my laptop is much faster I now have no sound. How do I fix this? Ran the troubleshoot for sound and no joy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I installed windows 10 and while my laptop is much faster I now have no sound. How do I fix this? Ran the troubleshoot for sound and no joy :mad:

Most likely a driver issue. Download and install a new sound/audio driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

GvidoR wrote: »
    Most likely a driver issue. Download and install a new sound/audio driver.

Cheers. Could you provide me with a link to where I could get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Cheers. Could you provide me with a link to where I could get one?

Go to your computer manufacturers website and get it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Doklett

Hi guys, I decided to upgrade my laptop last night from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I upgraded using the 'Get Windows 10' prompt in the notification tray. It seems gets through the Installing Windows 10 bit ok(takes around 5 minutes) then reboots and gets stuck with blue windows logo and black background screen at boot up. Waited a few hours for it to complete but nothing. Any ideas what might cause this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was having an issue where I couldnt get the display working on startup after upgrading. Turns out that as I have a switchable graphics card my main laptop screen was screen 2 and then external monitor was screen 3, when I unplugged the second monitor it wanted switch to screen 1 which was my other graphics card.

It appears however that my ATI4500 is not supported by windows 10? Any one know if there is a chance it ever will be or do I need to revert back to W7 in order to use this card?

EDIT: Just to clarify I got the laptop working on a single screen again by disabling the ATI card in Device Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

upgraded to W10 it killed firefox slow as f**k scripts keep stopping takes an age to open pages only a new laptop (2 months) pain in the harris

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm using Firefox 39.0.3 on Win 10 and no problems noted, just as fast, if not slightly faster, than it was on Win 8.1. Maybe try re-installing FF?

peking97 wrote: »
    I'm using Firefox 39.0.3 on Win 10 and no problems noted, just as fast, if not slightly faster, than it was on Win 8.1. Maybe try re-installing FF?
    I re-installed FF twice still same problem I also ran a sfc scan still issues might have to bin firefox. cheers.

I re-installed FF twice still same problem I also ran a sfc scan still issues might have to bin firefox. cheers.
    just found the problem Macafee extension on the browser was causing it disabled it and now all sweet.

Doklett wrote: »
    Hi guys, I decided to upgrade my laptop last night from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I upgraded using the 'Get Windows 10' prompt in the notification tray. It seems gets through the Installing Windows 10 bit ok(takes around 5 minutes) then reboots and gets stuck with blue windows logo and black background screen at boot up. Waited a few hours for it to complete but nothing. Any ideas what might cause this?

may not be the issue but could be disk space - have at least 20gb free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have windows vista on a laptop ................Can we upgrade to W10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

We have windows vista on a laptop ................Can we upgrade to W10 ?

Unfortunately, only Windows 7 and Windows 8.x qualify for the free upgrade.

<Snip>

Please read the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It won't be successful - not for long at least. Also, I'm pretty sure suggesting piracy goes against the charter.

d31b0y wrote: »
    It won't be successful - not for long at least. Also, I'm pretty sure suggesting piracy goes against the charter.

Probably will get my knuckles rapped but anything is better than Vista. Both W7 that I have are running for well over a year with no activation issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

I upgraded from W7 to 10 over the weekend. I only had around 9gb free on my OS drive, so I didn't expect it to work, but it did work flawlessly. On the first boot after the install, the drive had around 17gb free, presumably from compressing my old Windows folder.

Anyway, after using W10 for two days, I have no complaints. I think it's an excellent OS so far and I do like nearly all the changes I've encountered, other than the bizarrely empty looking default view for the task manager, which is, admittedly, easily changed.

The upgrade process itself was fantastic, absolutely idiot-proof. I think it took about an hour from start to finish (I fell asleep during it, so I'm not entirely sure) and everything worked perfectly from the very first boot - programs, games, drivers, etc. Amazing work by MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I upgraded my windows 10 last week through the upgrade notification in my taskbar. Now I am trying to activate my copy of windows, I assumed it would just activate automatically as I upgraded the copy that came with my laptop.

I am getting the Error code: 0xC004C003, which from a google indicates I have an invalid copy of Windows 10. I also don't know my activation code for my copy of windows.

Anybody got any tips on how to solve this or experienced this as well?

Beekay wrote: »
    I am getting the Error code: 0xC004C003,
    What are the circumstances under which you get this code? Activation should be automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Bayberry wrote: »
    What are the circumstances under which you get this code? Activation should be automatic

Sorry, it is on the activation tab under update & security in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If anyone is having a similar issue with DHT4 (Dolby HT 4, with your audio interface) being removed during upgrade I managed to get it back using these drivers:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=1654

They are marked for Realtek but should work fine on other compatible cards (mine is an Asus U7). Extract the contents, browse to the PCEE4 subfolder and run "DolbyHomeTheater.msi". Select 'Repair' and you should be good.
    This worked even when the latest ASUS drivers did not reinstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

jca wrote: »
    Probably will get my knuckles rapped but anything is better than Vista. Both W7 that I have are running for well over a year with no activation issues at all.

The laptop is Vista , but I did upgrade it a month ago to Windows 7 , as I had a genuine CD of W7.
    But after a week , I get this message that the copy I'm running is counterfeit .
    Not true , it is genuine but it just does not belong to the Laptop with Windows Vista .

Anyway , anyone know how much it would cost to buy W10 for this laptop ?

neGev wrote: »
    I upgraded from W7 to 10 over the weekend. I only had around 9gb free on my OS drive, so I didn't expect it to work, but it did work flawlessly. On the first boot after the install, the drive had around 17gb free, presumably from compressing my old Windows folder.

Anyway, after using W10 for two days, I have no complaints. I think it's an excellent OS so far and I do like nearly all the changes I've encountered, other than the bizarrely empty looking default view for the task manager, which is, admittedly, easily changed.

The upgrade process itself was fantastic, absolutely idiot-proof. I think it took about an hour from start to finish (I fell asleep during it, so I'm not entirely sure) and everything worked perfectly from the very first boot - programs, games, drivers, etc. Amazing work by MS.
    Run Disk cleanup and select the clean system files button, that will give you the option to remove the windows old folder which can be huge.

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote: »
    I upgraded my windows 10 last week through the upgrade notification in my taskbar. Now I am trying to activate my copy of windows, I assumed it would just activate automatically as I upgraded the copy that came with my laptop.

I am getting the Error code: 0xC004C003, which from a google indicates I have an invalid copy of Windows 10. I also don't know my activation code for my copy of windows.

Anybody got any tips on how to solve this or experienced this as well?

The error code indicates that the key has been blocked by the activation servers - but that probably indicates a problem with the key that you had before upgrading, rather than with the Windows 10 key itself.

Did you upgrade from Win7 or from Win8?

I think I'd be inclined to roll back the upgrade if I was in your shoes, and make sure that everything is working properly there before trying to upgrade again.

Edit - some further searching indicates some people have had success by manually running the activation script - click on the Start buttom and type slmgr.vbs /ato

Advertisement