Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being in the now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I've found excessive focus on the past or future can easily result in the "now" slipping by unappreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Love the following (the tweets discussed are here.):

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I'm in the now, now.

no - wait, now.

no- wait, now.

• Advertisement

I went to those

That is exactly the kind of "woo" I just mentioned in the post before. This stuff is not about to cure cancer or change you into a rich man or any of those other maybe PUA things they sell. I am sorry you were even accosted by such folk - let alone the sympathy I have for people who were actually taken in by them.

And I realise that any and every time I espouse the benefits of mindfulness or any of that stuff - I bear the burden of the vicarious embarrassment - and even guilt - that these people generate.

I see above someone has even posted a video mentioning (even in not a good light) the biggest charlatan of them all "deepak" and I seriously wince when I make the kind of noises I do on this subject knowing there are people who will think of him when they listen to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

ArtSmart wrote: »
    no- wait, now.

How about now?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    no- wait, now.

Waaaaait for iiiiit.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Give up work, go on the dole. Usually allows to live in the present.

In what way. Surely having tasks to do in your job keeps you in the now. Not sitting on your own wondering what you did wrong in that interview etc.

So really, the opposite of what you claim is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Don't cry about the past.....it's gone.
    Don't worry about the future....it hasn't arrived.
    Live in the present just be happy.

Hope the bottle of wine I had an hour ago doesn't give me a hangover in the morning though.......cos I'm happy now..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

eternal wrote:
    So you're a robot? You can't control your mind.

Of course you can control your mind! Do you live your whole life entirely on impulse?
    People control their minds in all sorts of ways, from simple stuff like not letting their temper get the better of them, to overcoming depression, to more extreme control like the people who can control their body temperature and control pain.

As for how to live in the present, Peaceful Warrior shows it perfectly when the main guy asks how to think in the present so the other guy fires him over the bridge and walks off. Then explains that the main guy was completely in the present when he was falling, he even had a word for it: "ahhhhhh!" :D
    I'm seriousness though, people are very dismissive of mindfulness (or whatever label is stuck on it) but I wonder are these the same people who say depression can't be overcome and get angry when you suggest otherwise. One of the main ways I overcame depression a few years ago was by trying to live in the present as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You need one of these watches, always accurate time readouts.

Modern technology is very deceptive, it was meant to save us all time with robot vacuum cleaners, remote controls, tweets n' emails.

But you'll find a day appears to last much longer if you turn it off and climb a mountain, take a swim, catch some fish, then have a good ole barbecue and a beer in the great outdoors.

Now!

(alright, nuff a dat)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think you can only be in the now if your name is Philip Green.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Yesterday is history,
    Tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift,
    That's why it's called the present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

But you'll find a day appears to last much longer if you turn it off and climb a mountain, take a swim, catch some fish, then have a good ole barbecue and a beer in the great outdoors.

Time does always seem to drag when you're bored...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Take a load of yokes and go raving. Usually worked for me in the past. Different family situation these days so if doesn't hold the same appeal anymore. Also having kids means living in the now isn't a possibility as something is always in the back of your mind that needs to be sorted out. Not that I mind tbh - a hug from one of the kids usually helps calm the mind better than any round of meditation ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

Living in anything but the "now" is a physical impossibility... unless you are dead... and time travel doesn't count either because you are still technically in your "now"...

You can live entirely up your own ass though - metaphorically speaking... it's fun!!

Christopher Llyod was also in many films.

"Still... an awesome ****ing Pumpkin!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The past does not hold me back, but I do have trouble enjoying a lot of the now as am always looking for the next thing...looking forward.

I do stop to think about the past on anniversaries etc... and then get sad and quiet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eternal wrote: »
    So you're a robot? You can't control your mind.
    Eh yes you can. We do it all the time. This idea that somehow the mind is this separate uncontrollable wild horse that we're strapped to is IMH the cause of a lot of needless suffering. Every time you learn something new you're controlling your mind, every new habit you make, you're controlling your mind. You can make new better habits. It takes work of course and that seems to be the stumbling block for many. They want the easy fix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

sup_dude wrote: »
    Sorry! There's just a very long history on boards of when I or someone else says that they've overcome depression in some way, there's a backlash and I guess that's immediately what I was expecting.

No worries dude. I dont suffer from it myself apart from self inflicted post booze blues but my brother did so I am pretty aware of it. Anyone who overcomes it through whatever means: well done.

Mod

Re reg troll banned, troll posts and those related have been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Yesterday is history,
    Tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift,
    That's why it's called the present

Thank you, turtle from Kung Fu Panda.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am trying to live in the now today. It's not easy, but the journey should be at least as interesting as the destination.

I went to those Tony Quinn classes many many moons ago, when I was around 21, long before he was selling supplements or owned the Educo Gyms. They were held in that pointing wizard hat shaped building on the coast road to Portmarnock. There was about 50 people per class and there was four or five a day. He must have been minting it.

Anyway, he had these mantras like: ''Believe you have what you want without inner doubt and it will come about".I'm not kidding, there were people there having epileptic fits during these "relaxation classes". People with inoperable cancers. You name it, I seen sufferers of it attend those classes in the hope of getting well / staying alive. All told, I attended them for around an eighteen month or so period. Lots of people there did say they were getting well, has to be said but many also just stopped coming to them, although I tried not to think about why that might have been.

I was reading Tony Robbins stuff back then also. Awaken The Giant Within and both seemed of the same school of thought: 'You can pretty much heal anything if you stop wasting energy with negative thinking', but I eventually had an argument of sorts with one of the staff there as I wasn't getting well, I was getting sicker and the 'live in the now' crap was starting to bug me and many others. Quinn starting pimping supplements to us around this time also and in front of around 75 or so regulars I said: "Last year you told us that we could get well from anything by being in the now" and the person said "Yes, that's right" and so I said "Well, then why do we need to suddenly take these new line of supplements? " They looked furious and a few people came up to me afterwards and thanked me for saying what I did. I never went back.

Tony Robbins, the infomercial guru, has also started selling supplements now. I really think these people do more harm that good. Steven Collins the boxer started to use Quinn's "techniques" around that time also, and honestly believed that he was instrumental in his winning the world title at the time, he doesn't any more however. Eubank was very nervous about fighting Collins at time as he believed that Collins was hypnotized and that he might not be able to feel pain or know when to stop. A lot of it was for show of course, and Collins I think felt that he was just using Quinn to make Eubank nervous, but ultimately I think Collins was the one be used, as Quinn's association with Collins is ultimately what made him the multimillionaire that he is today.

Course, the world was obsessed with that crap back in the early to late 90s. Fecking Oprah Winfrey was leading the way with it all stateside. She had that total wanker Dr. John Gray (Dr my arse) on almost every God damn day talking about "Earth Schools" and how people are here to learn lessons. If he wasn't on she would have that other twat Deepak Chopra on, waffling about life lessons and how you draw your experiences upon you and how your tragedies are here to teach you about yourself. All told, I think people, especially young folk, are better off today if they are having it tough as there was so many leaches around back then to exploit such people and yes I know they are still around, but I don't think they are given as much credence as they once were (thank fcuk).

Seriously, that whole story sounds like a religion No.9 was brought up with - think: super-churches deep in the heart of Texas - Yeah, those crazy cats and kittens.

Seems like you learned a valuable life lesson though.

And Chris Eubank always makes a Pumpkin Laugh - the Man has style!

"I'm an awesome ****ing Pumpkin!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Wright wrote: »
    Thank you, turtle from Kung Fu Panda.

And some TD or Senator quoted it not long afterwards in one of the houses. The plagiarizing boll0cks didn't even reference the quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have had to work hard to learn to live in the now. Some people have posted the kind of naieve, ignorant waffle about living in the know that I would of posted as a cynical , lazy non believer.

Life is full of distractions and most people don't actually understand what it is to live in the now. I have to disclose that I am only scratching the surface so don't pretend to have all the answers , nor do I preach from an ivory tower.

Living in the now may come easy and natural to some people but to many ,like it was for me , it's an alien concept that may sound a bit airy fairy.

Look up the 10 regrets people say on your deathbed and ask yourself if you think you would have those regrets if you were given 24 hours to live.

My biggest mistake with meditation was expecting certain results and giving up when I didn't get what I wanted. I dismissed the concept of spirituality because the Catholic Church has given many people an excuse to dismiss it. I am trying to get spiritual because I feel more in tune with my world and my inner self. This takes time and a willingness.

I don't do this all on my own, with professional help and support groups helping me do it right. The big thing for many people is that they just don't really want to put in any effort, work or resources into it. The zanex generation want instant results. I'm glad I got out of that bracket and learned to work hard on mindfulness. It's a shame that many won't learn this gift and the gift of what is truely important in life, before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"What day is it?"
    It's today," squeaked Piglet.
    My favorite day," said Pooh.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Take a walk in the pissing rain and your only concern will be that you're getting wet.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have had to work hard to learn to live in the now. Some people have posted the kind of naieve, ignorant waffle about living in the know that I would of posted as a cynical , lazy non believer.

Life is full of distractions and most people don't actually understand what it is to live in the now. I have to disclose that I am only scratching the surface so don't pretend to have all the answers , nor do I preach from an ivory tower.

Living in the now may come easy and natural to some people but to many ,like it was for me , it's an alien concept that may sound a bit airy fairy.

Look up the 10 regrets people say on your deathbed and ask yourself if you think you would have those regrets if you were given 24 hours to live.

My biggest mistake with meditation was expecting certain results and giving up when I didn't get what I wanted. I dismissed the concept of spirituality because the Catholic Church has given many people an excuse to dismiss it. I am trying to get spiritual because I feel more in tune with my world and my inner self. This takes time and a willingness.

I don't do this all on my own, with professional help and support groups helping me do it right. The big thing for many people is that they just don't really want to put in any effort, work or resources into it. The zanex generation want instant results. I'm glad I got out of that bracket and learned to work hard on mindfulness. It's a shame that many won't learn this gift and the gift of what is truely important in life, before it's too late.

Actually don't understand what any of this is about, like, at all... some Buddha ****?

"Yes... (you know by now but it has t be done) Still An Awesome ****ing Pumpkin!"

Advertisement