Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being in the now

Options
  • 03-08-2015 10:22pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How many of us live in the past or the future, our minds filled with regrets over the past and anxieties about the future. What about living in the now? Being attentive, being in the present, being content and having peace of mind.

I have tried to make myself be in the present, I find that being attentive to the task I'm doing really helps. Meditation helps also.

How do AHers get into the now? Do you find inner peace or do you find yourself preoccupied with the past/future with a racing mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

JupiterKid wrote: »
    How many of us live in the past or the future, our minds filled with regrets over the past and anxieties about the future. What about living in the now? Being attentive, being in the present, being content and having peace of mind.

I have tried to make myself be in the present, I find that being attentive to the task I'm doing really helps. Meditation helps also.

How do AHers get into the now? Do you find inner peace or do you find yourself preoccupied with the past/future with a racing mind?

Give up work, go on the dole. Usually allows to live in the present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Nope, for the last couple of years, haven't been able to switch off or immerse myself in a task. Not the way I used to when I was a child anyway, when I'd be focused on something and realise hours later how much time had passed.

My mind needs uncluttering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm always in the now. Where else makes any sense?

As for meditation: I've always found it to be pure BS.

Live for now. Enjoy memories and embrace the future. What's past is past and can't be changed. The future is anybody's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have a really hard time leaving the past in the past, but I'm getting a little better. I hold grudges like nobodies business and I beat myself up constantly over what should/could have been different. I think I do it to deflect other stuff going on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Class A drugs,and mindfulness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I have loads of regrets about my past. Things I've said and done. I've had lots of sleepless nights going over things in my mind wishing things were different. I try every day to live in the here and now but it's hard. I guess trying to do your best in the here and now will hopefully make the future better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

+1^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I fret ahead otherwise I wouldn't eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Whenever I attempt to "live in the now" I tend to act incredibly recklessly, spending large amounts of money on alcohol, drugs and a whole host of other shit. I go full "live in the now" beast mode like there's no tomorrow, because when I'm in that mindset there is no tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Way too many regres from my past but I wouldn't change it any different as it's made me a stronger person in a way.

• Advertisement

Whenever I attempt to "live in the now" I tend to act incredibly recklessly, spending large amounts of money on alcohol, drugs and a whole host of other shit. I go full "live in the now" beast mode like there's no tomorrow, because when I'm in that mindset there is no tomorrow to worry about.

That is not living in the now. That's avoiding life. To live in the now there has to be a future in the mix as well. I live in the now but I have plans for the future: or the now that tomorrow will be.
    It's not all or nothing in this life. It's balance and everything in moderation.
    Likewise you can't totally ignore the past or what would be the point in having a good now if you can't look back at it.

There's too much philosophical nonsense getting in the way of life for some people. Over thinking, over analysing.

What are you supposed to do, not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I have any kind of "venture", I tend to do all my planning and worrying in advance, and then I find i enjoy it more. Getting yourself to the "now" can be quite time-consuming. :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Man who stand on piece of Lego live in the here and nooww.

eternal wrote: »

Oh think but don't overthink things that you can do nothing about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I won't or don't forget my past, but I don't live in it, I also don't think about the future to much as it hasent arrived yet, nor will it ever,I live for today as that is what's real for now,I can't change my past it's done and I can't know my future as it hasent happened, so it's day to day for me. Does that make sence :-) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I reckon I've wasted too much time either dreaming/hoping for a future (without doing the work to bring it about) or stupidly replaying scenarios in my head and perfecting how I should have responded.

I just enjoy what I do. If I'm chatting with a friend...I enjoy it. If I'm sitting out in the evening sunshine (which I haven't done since June) I just enjoy doing it. To me, there is no "being in the now" - it's all about what you let yourself think about.

Oh think but don't overthink things that you can do nothing about

That's incredibly easy to say but in practice is nigh on impossible. Why do you think there's people sucking out of naggins at 8 am on street corners?

That's incredibly easy to say but in practice is nigh on impossible. Why do you think there's people sucking out of naggins at 8 am on street corners?

Your mind is yours. You can discipline it; train it.

It isn't a wild horse...unless you let it be.

Of course it's not nigh on impossible: because millions of people do it every day.
    Are you saying those people drinking are doing so because they can't help overthinking their lives? Baah!

• Advertisement

So you're a robot? You can't control your mind.

That's the opposite of what was said. Is this argument for argument's sake?

That's the opposite of what was said. Is this argument for argument's sake?

No. I genuinely can't help over thinking but that could be just me.

No. I genuinely can't help over thinking but that could be just me.

Sorry, the logic of all that is lost on me. Someone says you can discipline your mind and you say they can't control their mind and then that you can't help over thinking things.
    No, sorry. I'm out as it doesn't make sense and right now I have better things to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sorry, the logic of all that is lost on me. Someone says you can discipline your mind and you say they can't control their mind and then that you can't help over thinking things.
    No, sorry. I'm out as it doesn't make sense and right now I have better things to enjoy.

This guy is really living in the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Way too many regres from my past but I wouldn't change it any different as it's made me a stronger person in a way.

Amen. My past has shaped the person I am today. Sure I've had some ups and downs, I wouldn't change it though.

Also have gone the other way and tried to see things in a projected future. It drove me mad as I expected it to turn out as I had seen and was heavily disappointed. Older and wiser to know better though :D

Being attentive, being in the present, being content and having peace of mind.

Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug. There has been a few posters lately espousing this stuff. And I have been one of them in a small way which sparked one regular user to think I was a sock puppet :)

Mindfullness meditation - Vipassana - all that kind of stuff - has been seeping into "western culture" of late and it is no bad thing - but as with all new fads it has its usual host of "purveyors of woo" coming with it making it hard to distinguish the bad from the good.

And my word how bad some of the bad can get :)

For me I try to live in the moment on two levels. The meditation level of training ones moment to moment awareness and all that. And for two - on a more day to day level - to simply note those moments in my life where I am "on the way" to somewhere else - and I stop myself and look around and say "what can i do here?"

More often than not - being a parent - the latter comes in a moment where I am driving my kids somewhere or trying to get them somewhere - and I realise "I am here with my kids - talk to them - make a game of the drive with them - enjoy the journey rather than obsess over the destination"

But it comes up time and time again in my life - moments where I am focused on some goal and that little bit of me goes "the moment" and I look around and realise there is some way I, the people around me, or both, could enjoy that moment.

Most of us most of the time are focused on some goal in our immediate or medium future - or obsessing about some recent moment in our past. It does help to do the whole "Wherever you go, there you are" thing.

Anyway thats it before Wibbs calls me a hippy again :p
    As for meditation: I've always found it to be pure BS.

So SO much of it really really is. Many branches of it make ridiculous claims without any substantiation of any kind whatsoever. But there are types of it for which you - as one meditating person I read a lot of says - "have to subscribe to NOTHING on insufficient evidence in order to benefit from".

The whole discipline of medicine is rife with woo and nonsense. But I would not write it off as a whole because of that.
    Whenever I attempt to "live in the now" I tend to act incredibly recklessly, spending large amounts of money on alcohol, drugs and a whole host of other shit. I go full "live in the now" beast mode like there's no tomorrow, because when I'm in that mindset there is no tomorrow.

There is a misconception that living in the moment means ignoring the past or future entirely. The exact opposite is true. From some reason I can not fathom (youll see what I did there) boat analogies are used a lot in conversations like this. And mindfullness "in the moment" disciplines do not teach you to simply spend your time looking around the boat - not caring where it came from or where it is going. But rather to be constantly aware of where it is going - but never to lose sight of everything to do with the boat while you constantly ensure it is going where you want to go.

But many people do make that mistake with living in the moment. Where the boat is going is the last concern on their mind. Often it is "Lets have a party on the boat - and see where it has ended up when we wake up with a hangover in the morning" :) But living in the moment is the opposite of that. It is keeping one firm hand on the tiller - knowing where you want to go and end up - but enjoying every moment of the trip in the interim.

Quite the opposite I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I went to those Tony Quinn classes many many moons ago, when I was around 21, long before he was selling supplements or owned the Educo Gyms. They were held in that pointing wizard hat shaped building on the coast road to Portmarnock. There was about 50 people per class and there was four or five a day. He must have been minting it.

Anyway, he had these mantras like: ''Believe you have what you want without inner doubt and it will come about".I'm not kidding, there were people there having epileptic fits during these "relaxation classes". People with inoperable cancers. You name it, I seen sufferers of it attend those classes in the hope of getting well / staying alive. All told, I attended them for around an eighteen month or so period. Lots of people there did say they were getting well, has to be said but many also just stopped coming to them, although I tried not to think about why that might have been.

I was reading Tony Robbins stuff back then also. Awaken The Giant Within and both seemed of the same school of thought: 'You can pretty much heal anything if you stop wasting energy with negative thinking', but I eventually had an argument of sorts with one of the staff there as I wasn't getting well, I was getting sicker and the 'live in the now' crap was starting to bug me and many others. Quinn starting pimping supplements to us around this time also and in front of around 75 or so regulars I said: "Last year you told us that we could get well from anything by being in the now" and the person said "Yes, that's right" and so I said "Well, then why do we need to suddenly take these new line of supplements? " They looked furious and a few people came up to me afterwards and thanked me for saying what I did. I never went back.

Tony Robbins, the infomercial guru, has also started selling supplements now. I really think these people do more harm that good. Steven Collins the boxer started to use Quinn's "techniques" around that time also, and honestly believed that he was instrumental in his winning the world title at the time, he doesn't any more however. Eubank was very nervous about fighting Collins at time as he believed that Collins was hypnotized and that he might not be able to feel pain or know when to stop. A lot of it was for show of course, and Collins I think felt that he was just using Quinn to make Eubank nervous, but ultimately I think Collins was the one be used, as Quinn's association with Collins is ultimately what made him the multimillionaire that he is today.

Course, the world was obsessed with that crap back in the early to late 90s. Fecking Oprah Winfrey was leading the way with it all stateside. She had that total wanker Dr. John Gray (Dr my arse) on almost every God damn day talking about "Earth Schools" and how people are here to learn lessons. If he wasn't on she would have that other twat Deepak Chopra on, waffling about life lessons and how you draw your experiences upon you and how your tragedies are here to teach you about yourself. All told, I think people, especially young folk, are better off today if they are having it tough as there was so many leaches around back then to exploit such people and yes I know they are still around, but I don't think they are given as much credence as they once were (thank fcuk).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Advertisement

Error 404: humanity file not found. Press any key to continue

You can control what thoughts you dwell on. I don't claim to control my mind to the degree that I can prevent a thought or suggestion from entering it, but it is my decision as to what I choose (consciously or otherwise) to think about.

Eternal, learn about the human mind. It is one of the greatest things we'll ever have. And it is very easily trained. It's similar to any other muscle.

Advertisement