Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Fed Boyfolk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Stheno wrote: »
    The most heinous size drop was yorkies

Man sized my ass, more deformed midget sized now

And the Yorkie Duo, you'd expect to get 2 Yorkies, but they just have 2 specially made smaller Yorkies so you just get an extra square (or maybe two, I don't remember).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I've got zero time for this stuff myself but essentially your complaint is "why do other people like different stuff from me?"

It is not why do other people like different stuff it is why does the media concentrate on promoting this type of music to the detriment of everything else. This music is popular because it is marketed to us because these singers are connected in some way to the powers that be in RTE and TV3. TG4 has that Glor Tire which is dominated for years by the likes of Mike Denver.

I know many other types of music are popular in Ireland and could do as well as this boyfolk country stuff if promoted. They are just overhyped wedding bands. I have noted that this stuff has really taken off since Tubridy took over too.

There is no excuse for Ryan at all. He sings dull songs. He has no charisma. He is not from Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Country & Irish music appeals to folks who wouldn't have a huge interest in music, if that makes any sense.

It's way more about the dancin' and the craic than it is the quality of the song or artist....so it is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It is not why do other people like different stuff it is why does the media concentrate on promoting this type of music to the detriment of everything else.

Which media? I've never even heard of these guys you're going on about, and I suspect I'm not alone. But seriously, if I've managed to live happily oblivious to the existence of these people, then surely it can't be that difficult to ignore them? Switching channels when they come on is probably a good start.

Zaph wrote: »
    I had to look up the dictionary just to be sure that we're thinking about the same word. I'm not so sure we are.

There are dozens of Irish artists much worse than Crystal Swing. Friends of mine went to see them and in fairness, what you see is what you get. They are very nice and approachable and are not bigheaded or phony. Crystal Swing do not sing in fake accents and their material varies from rock 'n' roll to religious songs to ballads and have a better package to offer than these boyfolk pretenders like Ryan.

The arrogant swagger of Mike Denver would make one sick. He struts around obviously full of himself singing fake voiced pop in a country accent. Ryan follows suit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought this would be about giving lads too many spuds :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

galljga1 wrote: »
    Rock me baby like a wagon wheel.

That doesn't even make any sense. How exactly do you 'rock' anyone like a wheel of any sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

bluewolf wrote: »
    I thought this would be about giving lads too many spuds :confused:

Me too. I'm fair disappointed now.

Which media? I've never even heard of these guys you're going on about, and I suspect I'm not alone. But seriously, if I've managed to live happily oblivious to the existence of these people, then surely it can't be that difficult to ignore them? Switching channels when they come on is probably a good start.

RTE, TV3, TG4, satellite programs like Hot Country, local radio. Virtually all Irish media and some UK media too like UTV/UTV Ireland and BBC Northern Ireland. I do turn off or switch when I see them coming on that's for sure. Most people who watch Tubridy's show for example will know them. Anyone who has not heard or heard of them are lucky.

I, like a lot of people, watch very little Irish TV. This is mainly because of these fellas and other individuals being forced on us. Reality TV of all kinds, bad Irish country of the kind discussed, boybands, talent shows, boring politics and the like make up most of it. Unfortunately, most UK TV is not much better. But at least there is BBC4 for good music.

I would love to lick mike denver square in the bollox

I thought you said :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

There are dozens of Irish artists much worse than Crystal Swing. Friends of mine went to see them and in fairness, what you see is what you get. They are very nice and approachable and are not bigheaded or phony. Crystal Swing do not sing in fake accents and their material varies from rock 'n' roll to religious songs to ballads and have a better package to offer than these boyfolk pretenders like Ryan.

The arrogant swagger of Mike Denver would make one sick. He struts around obviously full of himself singing fake voiced pop in a country accent. Ryan follows suit.

Is it just me or does anyone else think your man from crystal swing is doing the bad thing with his mother?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RTE, TV3, TG4, satellite programs like Hot Country, local radio. Virtually all Irish media and some UK media too like UTV/UTV Ireland and BBC Northern Ireland. I do turn off or switch when I see them coming on that's for sure. Most people who watch Tubridy's show for example will know them. Anyone who has not heard or heard of them are lucky.

So you're giving out about country singers being on a show called Hot Country, whatever that is. Really? As for local radio, maybe that's down to where you are in the country? You certainly won't hear them on any local stations in Dublin. Nor have I heard them on Today FM, which is a national station. As for watching Tubridy or locally produced shows on UTV and BBC NI, well anyone who does pretty much deserves whatever is thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Cant stand this music but these guys are making great feckin wedges of cash nearly every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

galljga1 wrote: »
    There is all sorts of wrong going on there.
    Crystal Swing are supposed to be a joke act, though. These Irish country and western acts are entirely serious. Normally I'm perfectly happy to ignore pop music as I realise I'm not within the market at which it's aimed. But there's something almost insultingly bad about Irish country. It truly defines music made for people with no taste (as opposed to a bad taste) in music.

So you're giving out about country singers being on a show called Hot Country, whatever that is. Really? As for local radio, maybe that's down to where you are in the country? You certainly won't hear them on any local stations in Dublin. Nor have I heard them on Today FM, which is a national station. As for watching Tubridy or locally produced shows on UTV and BBC NI, well anyone who does pretty much deserves whatever is thrown at them.

You will not here this boyfolk country muck on Dublin stations thankfully. When I lived in Dublin a few years back, it was a relief to discover even local radios with something different to offer like Anna Livia.

I agree about Tubridy and similar shows on UTV or BBC NI. It seems like all they do is select anyone who happens to be in Dublin or Belfast and get them in for a chat. And you'd see the same bad Irish country singers on all.

Hot Country is a satellite channel program filled with videos of boyfolk acts. It is based out of Cork. Since I live in Cork at present, perhaps it is more wellknown here and everyone seems to be talking about it either in a poor light or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

tipptom wrote: »
    Cant stand this music but these guys are making great feckin wedges of cash nearly every night.

Yep. If you're a gigging musician and you want to make money forget about pop/rock/soul/ etc, join a country band. You'll be gigging 7 nights a week during the summer and probably 4/5 nights a week the rest of the year. Couldn't bring myself to do it when I was gigging but if you can put up with kitsch-ness of it, than you can make a good living.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Country & Irish music appeals to folks who wouldn't have a huge interest in music, if that makes any sense.

It's way more about the dancin' and the craic than it is the quality of the song or artist....so it is.
    That makes sense to me and the funny thing about these fans(including relatives of mine)is they are totally intolerant of other music but if you tell them you are not gone(I try to be diplomatic) on their new kid on the block,they are almost personally insulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So it's basically the Special Olympics of music?

It's inoffensive, harmless pap that grannies and granddads can listen to, sung by nice young men.

It's what local radio lives on, outside of cattle prices and weather reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

It's inoffensive, harmless pap that grannies and granddads can listen to, sung by nice young men.

It's what local radio lives on, outside of cattle prices and weather reports.

...and death notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It is not why do other people like different stuff it is why does the media concentrate on promoting this type of music to the detriment of everything else. This music is popular because it is marketed to us because these singers are connected in some way to the powers that be in RTE and TV3. TG4 has that Glor Tire which is dominated for years by the likes of Mike Denver.

I know many other types of music are popular in Ireland and could do as well as this boyfolk country stuff if promoted. They are just overhyped wedding bands. I have noted that this stuff has really taken off since Tubridy took over too.

There is no excuse for Ryan at all. He sings dull songs. He has no charisma. He is not from Donegal.

Ah come on! Are you joking? There's the odd programme of a sunday night dedicated to it. Stick on 2Fm at any hour of the day or night and you'll hear the same drivelous pop chart stuff over and over

• Advertisement

CFlat wrote: »
    ...and death notices.
    Oh ye,with their sad music leading in to it.

Crystal Swing are supposed to be a joke act, though. These Irish country and western acts are entirely serious. Normally I'm perfectly happy to ignore pop music as I realise I'm not within the market at which it's aimed. But there's something almost insultingly bad about Irish country. It truly defines music made for people with no taste (as opposed to a bad taste) in music.

Crystal Swing are overall a fun act and are easygoing and do not take themselves too seriously. Derek (of CS not Mr Ryan!) is funny and a bit of a character. Dervla is actually a quality singer and does a great version of How Great Thou Art. Mary is a good ballad singer.

Bad Irish country on the other hand takes itself seriously, is full of arrogant performers who consider themselves god's gift, and the songs and style all sound the same. Mike Denver thinks he is god's gift to Irish music and his style sounds so fake.

Ah come on! Are you joking? There's the odd programme of a sunday night dedicated to it. Stick on 2Fm at any hour of the day or night and you'll hear the same drivelous pop chart stuff over and over

That is true too. Local radio equal all this bad Irish country. 2FM is all that chart stuff. Equally as bad for certain. I do not understand why all thess rubbish music categories is promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Shame on them radio stations playing the music their audience wants to hear. I'm sure their advertisers would much rather they played stuff that one flaxon haired hippy in a garage conversion thinks is groovy

Shame on them radio stations playing the music their audience wants to hear. I'm sure their advertisers would much rather they played stuff that one flaxon haired hippy in a garage conversion thinks is groovy

It is not quite like this. Certain types of music are marketed to a population who do not know of other styles. No one considers doing anything different and thus the radio is filled up with a mix of bad boyfolk country and bad chart rubbish.

There are plenty customers for other types of music. But they are ignored. It is rather like this: there is a huge market for alcohol in Saudi Arabia but the fascists who rule it do not allow it.

Music in Ireland has traditionally been inwardlooking. Local radio hones in on the types that love to hear their county mentioned in song. A minority of the population like this type of music but they are catered for. I'm pretty sure there are more fans of say Elvis or Sinatra in Ireland than of Derek Ryan. But RTE or TV3 never think of putting on a concert of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It is not quite like this. Certain types of music are marketed to a population who do not know of other styles. No one considers doing anything different and thus the radio is filled up with a mix of bad boyfolk country and bad chart rubbish.

There are plenty customers for other types of music. But they are ignored. It is rather like this: there is a huge market for alcohol in Saudi Arabia but the fascists who rule it do not allow it.

Music in Ireland has traditionally been inwardlooking. Local radio hones in on the types that love to hear their county mentioned in song. A minority of the population like this type of music but they are catered for. I'm pretty sure there are more fans of say Elvis or Sinatra in Ireland than of Derek Ryan. But RTE or TV3 never think of putting on a concert of these.

So you reckon the honchos in RTE are fascists that are refusing to allow the masses to listen to their favourite music. Seriously?

Ultimately, all music can be classified into two genres. The one you can make money out of, and the one you can't. I'm pretty confident that there isn't a single major media outlet in the country that doesn't know this.

So you reckon the honchos in RTE are fascists that are refusing to allow the masses to listen to their favourite music. Seriously?

Ultimately, all music can be classified into two genres. The one you can make money out of, and the one you can't. I'm pretty confident that there isn't a single major media outlet in the country that doesn't know this.

I didn't say this. RTE, TV3, etc. are not banning any music but they are only promoting certain things. I do not understand why Derek Ryan and all these types are being promoted.

It is all marketing. A market has been established for bad new country music and was packaged and sold to an audience. I certainly believe other forms of music can be just as successful. Artists like Imelda May or Hozier prove this to be the case. And I hope that these and others keep giving us alternatives to boyfolk that the big shots in media can't ignore.

Yamanoto wrote: »

I think this is it. This music seems to be based in hotel dancerooms, dancehalls, etc. Most people are busy talking, drinking and pairing off, so the music does not even have to be good.

Even so, some are better than others. I am not against Irish country. Like all genres, some is good some not. Nathan Carter is overall a good entertainer and knows how to perform to an audience. Crystal Swing provide a good variety and what you see is what you get. They are a nice family and are modest. Daniel does what he does well and also is a nice person and not pretentious.

However, Derek Ryan leaves me cold. He is not Irish country really but is what I call boyfolk. A boyband type singer who sings folk or country in a poppy way. Ryan actually was in a boyband called D-Side. Mike Denver also leaves me cold. He always comes across as arrogant and a lot of people say this about him. I notice the phenomenon of ex boyband singers coming into country music in recent years. Lee Matthews is another.

It seems like Ireland's current music scene is designed around boybands and what happens to them when they 'grow up'. The term boyfolk I heard from a guy in a pub describing this form of music the likes of Denver and Ryan do. I think it fits the bill and describes this type of music better than the term Country and Irish (which I would associate more with songs like Lovely Leitrim or Gentle Mother). If Ryan, etc. were marketed as boyfolk it would be the decent thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stop trying to make "boyfolk" happen! It's not gonna happen!

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Stop trying to make "boyfolk" happen! It's not gonna happen!

Unfortunately, it already has happened .. under a different official name.

Advertisement