Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scumbags knock cyclist of bike Video *mod warning post 50*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The guy who posted it on his FB page certainly like taking pictures of himself!

#gangsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

kstand wrote: »
    No country does scumbags quite like Ireland. The most feral sociopaths in the world.
    You need to travel a bit. These are just the greater spotted scumbag. In some countries they would follow up the attack with a quick knifing and stealing the bike.

Our scumbags are really just cowardly pussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

mamax wrote: »
    If it was a pedestrian in the video im sure those idiots who liked it and found it funny on Facebook would react differently, why ? Because it could be anyone it happens to next, not just cyclists.
    Nearly six thousand people liked this video. Why the hell would you like a video like this one that nearly kills someone??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This is a despicable act and there are several people on this board who have experienced similar behaviour from drivers, either this carry on or hit 7 run incidents.

This guy obviously doesn't give a flying fvck about anyone and should be dealt with severely. In the comments he clearly regrets his actions

<snip>

Any obstacle in that ditch, a wall, tree, lamp-pot, fence and that cyclist is lucky if they only end up in hospital. Quite likely life changing injuries at the least.

I'm not sure but doesn't there have to be an official complaint from the person that was assaulted in order for the Garda to do anything about this? Attempted manslaughter at the very least.

What a waste of matter these people are. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The spelling and grammar alone are enough to warrant a public stoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sad pathetic scumbags

they have nothing to offer other than vindictive shoite like this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jaysus.

Was driving through town yesterday when I saw a bunch of idiots like this throw what looked to be a paper cup full of tea out the window right into the fact of a biker. Thought that was horrid.

But that video is despicable. "Wh-hey, I tried to kill a guy". Would love to see the Gardai take him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

AKW wrote: »
    This is a despicable act and there are several people on this board who have experienced similar behaviour from drivers, either this carry on or hit 7 run incidents.

This guy obviously doesn't give a flying fvck about anyone and should be dealt with severely. In the comments he clearly regrets his actions

<snip>

Any obstacle in that ditch, a wall, tree, lamp-pot, fence and that cyclist is lucky if they only end up in hospital. Quite likely life changing injuries at the least.

I'm not sure but doesn't there have to be an official complaint from the person that was assaulted in order for the Garda to do anything about this? Attempted manslaughter at the very least.

What a waste of matter these people are. :mad:
    Based on a post up the thread, this seems to have happened in Derry, so probably strictly speaking it's the PSNI's responsibility, and the Gardai can only act in response to inquiries/contact from them. A part of me is cynical enough to think that these scrotes knew that when they did this, but then the other part reckons that's giving too much credit to the complete wastes of oxygen responsible for actually videoing and posting that!
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's being discussed on 98fm at the moment, apparently the guy is OK which is good news. It happened in Derry according to one of the callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jaysus.

Was driving through town yesterday when I saw a bunch of idiots like this throw what looked to be a paper cup full of tea out the window right into the fact of a biker. Thought that was horrid.

But that video is despicable. "Wh-hey, I tried to kill a guy". Would love to see the Gardai take him down.

he'd be back on the street being celebrated by his 'friends' before the day was out..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

lawred2 wrote: »
    he'd be back on the street being celebrated by his 'friends' before the day was out..

Welcome to Ireland, I guess :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I've had somebody grab my arm while overtaking in a car in traffic all right. They didn't try and hold on, but I'm lucky I didn't fall off the bike. So nothing as bad as what this video showed. The idiots who did it to me, did it right before a red traffic light, and I'm not sure what I would have done if I had caught up to them. But they saw me coming, so they ran the traffic light turned left, and only very narrowly missed a lady pushing her buggy across the road. I guess, in the grand scheme of things, I should be glad that nobody was actually hurt that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland, I guess :(

Northern Ireland - it seems it happened up in Derry Londonderry so it looks like a job for the PSNI

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Northern Ireland - it seems it happened up in Derry Londonderry so it looks like a job for the PSNI

Probably a good thing considering how disinterested the Gardai are regarding cyclist safety.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Where was that mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Whats the point of taking a photo of yourself in the mirror giving yourself the finger?

Basically telling yourself to **** off like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

monument wrote: »
    Where was that mentioned?
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's being discussed on 98fm at the moment, apparently the guy is OK which is good news. It happened in Derry according to one of the callers.

She seemed genuine enough and said that she was in contact with the cyclists daughter and he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My wife showed me a video this morning posted on FB by some "hero" who pushed over a cyclist while breaking his A**e laughing, if its the same one as this the one mentioned in this thread, be it in N. Ireland or the ROI they clearly intended to do it and as such the PSNI or the Guards have a responsibility to find them and prosecute them. The argument here can be for what level of prosecution, GBH, attempted manslaughter etc. I am sure that both law enforcement agencies would have the technical smarts to locate the scumbags who did this!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just had a look at the Facebook page of this <snip> chap.

:D Dear god what a tool. The state of him in those pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I assume it's assault. No-one killed, so not manslaughter. No intention to kill either. But it should be treated as assault and dealt with severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus the fella in the video sounds exactly like Oisin McConville!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I assume it's assault. No-one killed, so not manslaughter. No intention to kill either. But it should be treated as assault and dealt with severely.

Assault at the very least.

The actions were premeditated and the intent was there to carry out the act. It was purely down to luck that there was nothing in that ditch that could have killed that cyclist.

You can be sure the car didn't scout the road to make sure it was clear of obstacles before timing their run to coincide with a clear piece of ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Is it too much to ask for public lashings to be introduced for crimes such as this?

Would love to see how funny these lads would find it to receive 20 lashes of a bamboo cane on their bare arses.

Put it on Pay per View and use the proceeds to build better bike lanes...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I presume this has been posted
    A motorist, who reached out and pushed a 13-year-old schoolboy from a bicycle as he was driving past, has been jailed for 10 months.
    Thomas McCarron (22) of Killydreen, Emyvale, Co Monaghan, pleaded guilty to a charge of assaulting and causing harm to Conor McKenna, the young cyclist, who was training at the time on a roadway near Emyvale village in preparation for an Ulster Championship cycling competition.
    The boy’s father, Richard McKenna, told Judge Denis McLoughlin at Monaghan District Court that his son was severely injured in the incident on June 23rd last year and was taken to Monaghan General Hospital and later transferred to Cavan General Hospital.
    He added that McCarron had “shown no remorse for his action on the day and never apologised”.
    An apology was tendered by McCarron in court for what he told the judge was “a stupid action”.
    Sentencing McCarron, Judge McLoughlin also banned him from driving for five years, and directed that he make a payment of €1,000 to the boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »
    The spelling and grammar alone are enough to warrant a public stoning.

And filming the sequence in Portrait, what does that deserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

AKW wrote: »
    Assault at the very least.

The actions were premeditated and the intent was there to carry out the act. It was purely down to luck that there was nothing in that ditch that could have killed that cyclist.

You can be sure the car didn't scout the road to make sure it was clear of obstacles before timing their run to coincide with a clear piece of ditch.

Being completely indifferent to someone's safety isn't the same as attempting to kill them, although it is very serious. The act was obviously premeditated, but that doesn't mean any extreme adverse outcome (such as death or incapacitation) would be regarded as premeditated as well. I guess partly it would hinge on whether a judge thought the intention was to amuse by humiliating another person or by hurting them.

(I'm not a lawyer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Pure scumbagary.

Hopefully posting the video online will provide enough evidence for a conviction.
    Would love to see the driver getting some sort of penalty as well for being a party to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'd have this would be a hit and run case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What's worse, if the Gardai/PSNI do nothing, to me they are just as culpable.

Basically, any scumbags looking at this think: "This is great, loads of attention, media reports, my mates think I'm a legend, look at how many likes my video got...and not a single consequence"

And go off and start doing it themselves. This could become some unfortunate and dangerous viral trend amongst the scrotes.

Come on lads, pull your socks up and nip this one in the bud before someone gets hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭omri

Perhaps once this guy is located by Gardai or PSNI, the RTE could sponsor an educational program about possible injuries that a cyclist can sustain when pushed off the bike. I would strongly suggest he was given a bike, told to do 20kmph and a volunteer could push this fella of the path between fairview and howth (on the sea side of the path). All infront of cameras including immediate autopsy by the state pathologist. Before this "season finale" the public could vote should that guy wear a helmet or not, and then the Gardai or DPP could explain the possible charges such a person could face for that type of crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Might get away with deciding on the helmet by a vote, but he'd definitely need to have high vis, and reflectors on front, rear and both wheels to satisfy the gardaí/RSA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement