Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags knock cyclist of bike Video *mod warning post 50*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any talk of helmets should go in the relevant mega thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sorry, just giving context to what my doc said about head injuries. My point (obviously not well expressed, sorry) was that Facebook should surely realise that pushing someone off a bicycle makes for a high risk of injury to the side of the head, which is the most dangerous injury to cyclists; saying that a post making this action seem "funny" doesn't breach "community standards" is bizarre when it can cause such terrible danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Link is no longer working. Video taken down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

micar wrote: »
    What's shocking is the amount support this is getting on Facebook.....what a c_ntish thing to do.

Well, if it's one thing I learned from fb over the last week with that Danny Ward video it's full of absolute bottom of the barrel scum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My point (obviously not well expressed, sorry) was that Facebook should surely realise that pushing someone off a bicycle makes for a high risk of injury to the side of the head
    My point, not so well expressed, was that this bit of "fun" would be likely to badly injure anyone, regardless of mode of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mamax

If it was a pedestrian in the video im sure those idiots who liked it and found it funny on Facebook would react differently, why ? Because it could be anyone it happens to next, not just cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Looks like it's been taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭wonga77

I only came across this thread about 15 mins ago and the link was working then, Its gone now though so its only in the last few mins its been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm actually shocked.. Genuinely fooking shocked.

I spotted this on Facebook a few days ago and had the same reaction.
    Bunch of absolute d1ckheads and it's a sad indictment on certain portions of society who find this acceptable or funny.
    It is essentially assault, dangerous driving and any number of other crimes
    . The perpetrators should have the book thrown at them and anyone who finds this type of behavior "funny" needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Another recent case - what the hell is wrong with these people. Given the potential injuries I think 10 months was lenient. Banned from driving for five years but we all know how well driving bans are enforced here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-who-pushed-boy-off-bicycle-sentenced-to-10-months-in-jail-1.2264289

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

haven't seen the video because the link is down and probably better off not seeing it.

however I have been seeing an increasing amount of 'violence' videos on Facebook lately that turn out to be staged. People simply doing it just for like and shares.

i hope this is the case here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think the lad's facebook profile has gone.

wingnut wrote: »
    Another recent case - what the hell is wrong with these people. Given the potential injuries I think 10 months was lenient. Banned from driving for five years but we all know how well driving bans are enforced here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/man-who-pushed-boy-off-bicycle-sentenced-to-10-months-in-jail-1.2264289

Think that's the same case mentioned a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

Words can't express how badly I want the perpetrators to face consequences for their actions. Haven't seen the video either as its down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Last night when I had looked at the video there were some comments on it stating he had copied them and what they had done.
    A quick look on those lads pages and you would never of thought they could do anything like that, nothing on their page to indicate they would find that kind of thing fun at all, unlike the person who posted it
    Also when Facebook sends the response that something doesn't breach there rules. There is a part on the message where you can appeal and put into proper words why you think it should be removed. That worked for me a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

wingnut wrote: »
    Words can't express how badly I want the perpetrators to face consequences for their actions. Haven't seen the video either as its down now.

Well, as the guy was so wrapped up in his own 'bravado' as to upload the video under his own name, the Gardai should have little problem in tracking him down, if they so wish. Let's hope this has happened!! Reminds me of the time the lads uploaded the video of their pals taking part in a sulky race on a public road a few years ago! How witless are they to do it on their own FB pages!! Goes to show how 'untouchable' they feel they are. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Imagine having to get back on the road after that incident. You'd be a bag of nerves. In your mind every single car that passed you could have another gang of lunatic scumbags in it. That horrible case of the 13 year old getting shoved off his bike in a similar manner mentioned that the poor lad struggles to go out on the bike at all if he's not in a group.

The potential for getting really badly banged up is huge. What kind of moron could contemplate actually carrying out a sociopathic attack like this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Video is up again now, absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

check_six wrote: »

The potential for getting really badly banged up is huge. What kind of moron could contemplate actually carrying out a sociopathic attack like this?

What kind of group of morons - this is not just one person, it required a group effort and nobody in the car thought it was a bad idea, out of the at least 3 people ( driver, shover and camera person) there.

I wonder what kind of bull crap excuse would be brought up if this went to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's being discussed on 98fm at the moment, apparently the guy is OK which is good news. It happened in Derry according to one of the callers.

What kind of group of morons - this is not just one person, it required a group effort and nobody in the car thought it was a bad idea, out of the at least 3 people ( driver, shover and camera person) there.

I find that group behaviour often aligns with the attitudes of the stupidest person in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I find that group behaviour often aligns with the attitudes of the stupidest person in the group.

Unfortunately true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The guy in some part involved is having a good laugh on his FB page about it all and 98fm discussing it.
    Blood boiling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I wonder what kind of bull crap excuse would be brought up if this went to court.

This is a good point. That previous case in Monaghan with the 13 year old only lists one person convicted of the crime (Thomas McCarron, Killydreen, Emyvale, Monaghan). He got a 10 month sentence. I would have thought you'd need at least two people to carry out this kind of attack so it looks like Thomas' accomplice got away with it. You'd like to see the whole group in court to answer for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

There would be a serious attempt of eye gouging if someone was to grab hold of my bike leaning out of a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

jon1981 wrote: »
    There would be a serious attempt of eye gouging if someone was to grab hold of my bike leaning out of a car!

I'd like to think the same but you'd be afraid you would end up under a wheel of the car or something. Best bet is to hit the breaks and try get the registration/description of the car. Phone AGS straight away saying the direction they are travelling.

That dickhead is just laughing at the fact it is being discussed on radio is really pissing me off. Surely someone will have reported him to AGS/PSNI etc? Whoever dragged him up will have surely seen it by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'd like to think the same but you'd be afraid you would end up under a wheel of the car or something. Best bet is to hit the breaks and try get the registration/description of the car. Phone AGS straight away saying the direction they are travelling.

That dickhead is just laughing at the fact it is being discussed on radio is really pissing me off. Surely someone will have reported him to AGS/PSNI etc? Whoever dragged him up will have surely seen it by now?

in reality I probably wouldn't have that instinctive reaction. However, I am seriously considering a go-pro cam of some sorts. There are too many bad incidents of late and I think capturing the evidence (and surviving) is probably the more important thing to focus on.

(would still love to gouge their eyes out though :D )

Also, don't think they grabbed the bike. Just shoved the cyclist. If you weren't aware they were about to do it, you would have no choice but to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Hopefully there is some cycling blackhat out there who will take umbrage and follow the cyber trail...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement