Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scumbags knock cyclist of bike Video *mod warning post 50*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reminds me of this case.
    http://www.northernstandard.ie/2015/06/26/prison-sentences-for-emyvale-man-who-knocked-teenager-off-bike/

Shocking behaviour , idiots should be trialled for attemptive murder

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

I would suggest that you guys look at getting a fly 6 rear light camera, and make these guys aware they will be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

316 wrote: »
    Knowing facebook this will be the new ice bucket challenge.

The ice bucket challenge was a phenomenally succuessful campaign to raise awareness and funds for motor neurone disease. In no way comparable to this bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Reported it and also got told it doesn't violate facebooks policies. The thought of this actually becoming a "challenge" is frightening, and there is plenty half wits out there who will think this is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

shocking. a stiff letter to the establishment will sort those ruffians out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Reported it and also got told it doesn't violate facebooks policies. The thought of this actually becoming a "challenge" is frightening, and there is plenty half wits out there who will think this is hilarious.

I've also reported it, and given that their criteria for graphic violence is "depicting harm to someone or something" I really don't see how it can be considered not in violation of that - do they think cyclists are made of rubber and just bounce back on to the road, FFS?! Already know of people who have started flooding it to the media, and reported it to the Gardai having saved a copy in case Facebook act.

As shocking and disgraceful as the video carry on is, personally I'm almost tempted to send it to George Hook/The Right Hook and see can he stretch as far as condoning this given his previous statements (even as a paid contrarian).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That lad needs to be hunted down and made an example of before this becomes a trend and a bit of fun for other morons.
    The poor cyclist could have received a serious injury. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Well clearly Facebook is run by idiots - another report reviewed and rejected here as not violating their standards...... Despite their community standards saying
    Violence and Graphic Content

Facebook has long been a place where people share their experiences and raise awareness about important issues. Sometimes, those experiences and issues involve violence and graphic images of public interest or concern, such as human rights abuses or acts of terrorism. In many instances, when people share this type of content, they are condemning it or raising awareness about it. We remove graphic images when they are shared for sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence.

When people share anything on Facebook, we expect that they will share it responsibly, including carefully choosing who will see that content. We also ask that people warn their audience about what they are about to see if it includes graphic violence.

How is this video anything other than the bolded?! Ok, it's not an image, if they want to be pedantic, but that's surely not it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

It's actually pretty awful to think I could be cycling to work any morning, pushed into traffic and killed, my kid left without a father, and thousands of people would be sharing a video of it, thinking it's great as the media have hyped up the notion that cyclists are completely scum and the biggest menace on the road so much that people are happy to publicize such videos using their real names.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I bet George Hook thinks this would be perfectly acceptable behavior. Pity that many others also think like him!

This is a disgrace and I would love to see something very bad happen to all involved in that car.

I hope that innocent gent is ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 critic_12

Just seen this on Facebook, hopefully the Gardai catch up with them and this "Challenge" doesn't take off now :mad:
    I don't think the "Challenge" will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Einstein? wrote: »
    I bet George Hook thinks this would be perfectly acceptable behavior.

He's tiresome and biased, but I haven't heard him advocate violence against people on bikes or anyone else for that matter. If he has, I'll concede your point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Denied my report to. They are now complicit in any similar attacks that happen that result from this.of course the actual attackers are the ones at fault but they could be seen to be aiding maybe? Not likely I know but they have been warned

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He's tiresome and biased, but I haven't heard him advocate violence against people on bikes or anyone else for that matter. If he has, I'll concede your point.

Probably not advocate violence, but this interview sprung to my mind after reading a few of the comments on fb.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/george-youre-the-criminal-matt-cooper-slams-newstalks-george-hook-on-ireland-am-31349206.html

Not only was everything he said very silly, but when he was telling a story in the above interview about 'lunatic' cyclists and got cut off by the host it seemed like he'd like to see cyclists get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

It might be time for those of us that cycle alone to think about a rear mounted camera, a guy I know uses one all the time, it won't prevent it happening but would identify the idiots and maybe force the gardai to take action.

Einstein? wrote: »
    Probably not advocate violence, but this interview sprung to my mind after reading a few of the comments on fb.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/george-youre-the-criminal-matt-cooper-slams-newstalks-george-hook-on-ireland-am-31349206.html

Not only was everything he said very silly, but when he was telling a story in the above interview about 'lunatic' cyclists and got cut off by the host it seemed like he'd like to see cyclists get hurt.

Yes, he's in full-on hyperbole mode in that interview, and you could argue that his rhetoric might encourage a violent person to action, but he doesn't actually advocate hurting cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

<snip>

Just seen this on Facebook, hopefully the Gardai catch up with them and this "Challenge" doesn't take off now :mad:

Good of you to put this up,to raise awareness of this act and hopefully guards will catch onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It's annoying enough that gob****e is given a soapbox in the first place.

Joe isn't much better, show him that video and he'd probably ask the question that it wouldn't happen if the cyclist wasn't on the road in the first place. No wonder there's a cyclist v motorist mentality in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, he's in full-on hyperbole mode in that interview, and you could argue that his rhetoric might encourage a violent person to action, but he doesn't actually advocate hurting cyclists.

G Hook interviewed Fredrik Gertten last Thursday or Friday evening. This chap is the director of Bikes versus Cars, a documentary that was being shown to a Dublin audience over the weekend in one if the smaller venues, I cant remember.

This fella was very engaging and I almost felt he had almost turned G Hook's viewpoints on bicycles 180 degrees, if that was possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Got a similar response from Facebook, 'does not breach community policies'. I hope they can explain that to the victim.

The Examiner has the story today, but has not yet reported that Facebook has refused to take it down.

Maybe the victim will come foreward and give an interview to the Examiner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've a challenge for the lad in the car: get on a bike and cycle 200km around the mountains.

Odd that Facebook says it doesn't breach community policies; I recently got a scolding from GP for not wearing a helmet due to the great danger of injuries to the side of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

No country does scumbags quite like Ireland. The most feral sociopaths in the world.

kstand wrote: »
    No country does scumbags quite like Ireland. The most feral sociopaths in the world.

Come on, surely you can be more self-hating than that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Looks like they did it to an oldish guy :mad: Is it on the road between Portlaoise and Tullamore with the huge drops to each side? I hope the victim comes forward and the lads in the video get a huge example made of them

Odd that Facebook says it doesn't breach community policies; I recently got a scolding from GP for not wearing a helmet due to the great danger of injuries to the side of the head.

Helmet or not, on a bike, on foot or on horse, being propelled unexpectedly by someone in a fast-moving vehicle has a high likelihood of ending badly. No time or opportunity to prepare your fall or any other last-second precautions.

ted1 wrote: »

I'm not on Facebook, but this might be pointed out to them. They are allowing someone to advocate actions that are objectively against the law and can carry a prison term -- unlike, say, oh, I don't know, breast-feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think this is a great idea.

I was chatting to a doctor once, he told me in graphic detail some of the things that happen to people who have their arms/head/body-parts hanging out car windows. I await with interest the first example of some idiot trying this "challenge" and getting themselves killed by a passing car/lamp-post/roadsign. The schadenfreude will be amazing.

Those are interesting stats, but they might belong in a different thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

You've to compare that to the level of participation, it could range from someone getting cut off a flat pedal, to a full on OTB into the grand canyon

Not sure why it is in this thread though, If the victim was injured and it would be a cycling injury in statistics, it would only be because he was on a bike when he was assaulted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement