Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD for Random Photos LI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

posted by Art Deko

18529897608_d4b1e0aee6_c.jpg

it's a bit dark on the left, which makes it look slightly unbalanced, or 'spotlighty' in the centre.

Art decko my advice would be to disregard the above! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

This thread has gone very quite!

I don't feel qualified to criticise on here, but I'll give it a go this time for these two pics in the hope that the thread might become a bit more active...
    swingking wrote: »

For me, I think I'd probably crop out the stones in the foreground, I think it looks cluttered and doesn't add to the photo, for me the photo is about the lovely sky and the two headland things leading towards it, so I'd probably cut down to the sand, but hey that's just me.
    obrano wrote: »

Nice subjects, interesting faces, I just think perhaps the shutter speed and aperture might be a little off..? I think 1/50 of a second on a 50mm lens is probably too slow and I think you can see a bit of motion in the photo..? F4 might be a little open too for 2 subjects?

Just my opinions, I'm only a noob myself so sorry if I am wrong/offend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mystic86 wrote: »
    Just my opinions, I'm only a noob myself so sorry if I am wrong/offend
    bollocks to that. stop apologising.

bollocks to that. stop apologising.

Jeeze, ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was intended light-heartedly.

• Advertisement

that was intended light-heartedly.

lol, look how many thanks your 2 comments got!

*hides in corner*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Where was this taken?! Woah!
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    -Bolts from above-
    353735.jpg
    hi res version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Tiriel wrote: »
    Where was this taken?! Woah!

Link says south dakota in the states

Stunning shot.

Stunning shot.

Self congratulatory :P

I agree though by the way :o

Self congratulatory :P

I agree though by the way :o

I'm not sure what you mean by self congratulatory?!
    Art Deko wrote: »
    19322072846_ed346307d2_c.jpgUntitled by Greg Matthews, on Flickr

That made me laugh, super timing!!

• Advertisement

Tiriel wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by self congratulatory?!

oops, thought it was the same guy who took the photo :(:eek:

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

18752753484_5a052c58d1_c.jpg

I just love the colours in this. Gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Modern buttons and lights aside, it reminds me a bit of one of those shots you'd see of an American bus from decades ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Iancar29 wrote: »
    -Bolts from above-
    353735.jpg
    hi res version

What was it like to see this in person?!

posted by art deko:

19221828118_5ef272d5d0_c.jpg

i love the composition, but it's a bit contrastier than i would reckon is optimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

^ Looks fine to me, very little loss of detail I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

^ Looks to have too much sharpening applied for a screen image. Probably OK for a print though.

'Nothing amiss' by slowcyclist:

19031185024_73e60de25d_z.jpg

apart from the horizon, that is...
    the haloing around the mast is a bit too obvious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

'Nothing amiss' by slowcyclist:

apart from the horizon, that is...
    the haloing around the mast is a bit too obvious too.

Thank you for the feedback Magicbastarder. Both observations spot on, I was editing a number of photos from the Dun Laoghaire Regatta and missed the obvious.

Lambsbread wrote: »

Really lovely shot but I'd love to see more of the steps - make them a bigger feature!

• Advertisement

i was just thinking the same thing - i wonder what a crop to square, hard to the right hand side of the frame, would look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Thanks for the feedback. It is a different type of photography that I am used to.

There was a rock blocking the steps and it appeared a black box in the bottom corner.

Edit: Here is a photo from the same night at a slightly different angle:

19678180019_efeea0a797_c.jpgIMG_2472 by AindriúH, on Flickr

Lambsbread wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. It is a different type of photography that I am used to.

There was a rock blocking the steps and it appeared a black box in the bottom corner.

Edit: Here is a photo from the same night at a slightly different angle:

19678180019_efeea0a797_c.jpgIMG_2472 by AindriúH, on Flickr

Would you try cloning it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

I'll be back soon enough to try again :) I'll spend a little more time setting up the shot this time. It normally takes me more than one visit to get the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

Art decko my advice would be to disregard the above! :)

Art Deko I'm interested in how you went about capturing the picture of the girl, and some of your street stuff in general. Was it candid or did you make eye contact first? Are you shooting with a long lens or something shorter like a 35 or 50 mm?

I like this style of photography, but I'm not at all confident or comfortable doing it.

mc_grens wrote: »
    Art Deko I'm interested in how you went about capturing the picture of the girl, and some of your street stuff in general. Was it candid or did you make eye contact first? Are you shooting with a long lens or something shorter like a 35 or 50 mm?

I like this style of photography, but I'm not at all confident or comfortable doing it.

in case he doesn't see this you can get some details on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg_matthews/18529897608/

dinneenp wrote: »
    John Grant at Galway Arts Festival:

19341649413_571a1a813d_c.jpg

C&C welcome

Seems very murky?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

in case he doesn't see this you can get some details on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg_matthews/18529897608/

Cheers Mystic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Seems very murky?
    A comment, not on the photography but on the subject of the photograph.
    I love this man's writing. He has a wonderful turn of phrase. In one of his many (anti)love songs he had me scurrying to the dictionary to look up the word 'Callipygian'.

As for the photograph I'd like to see a little more negative space on the righthand side.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

To add to the comment made by Mystic86 in post# 58, I do like the man's expression. But it seems to me the subject is a bit underexposed. I'd also like to see a bit of light on the background which would make the subject standout more and not get lost against the black.

Advertisement