Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMENTS THREAD for Random Photos LI

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

20469368096_9eb258fb97_c.jpgDSC_2672 by rorywilliams, on Flickr

Just wanted to say via this thread that I like this photo a lot. Wish I had the skill to take a photo as good as this. The subject matter is ace too.

Thanks for sharing your photo Rory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

20834400001_6ee5f4dc54_c.jpg

I know those trees.............. Good memories
    https://goo.gl/maps/dG7gu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Whammy! wrote: »
    20792162480_7fbea5f115_c.jpg

The (excellent) quality of the portrait itself aside, that wallpaper is just the most awesome backdrop evar.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

The wallpaper is pretty awesome :)
    The man in the photo is my Father-in-law. He moved into a new house around a year ago and every room in the house had some amazing old wallpaper on the walls. He is a huge lover of retro things so he kept most of the original wallpaper.

I'm actually doing a little exhibition in a week which is a collection of photos of my Father-in-law and my son in different rooms in the house.
    The exhibition was offered to me under very short notice so I still have more photos to take. I'll probably post all of them here after the exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The wallpaper is pretty awesome :)
    The man in the photo is my Father-in-law. He moved into a new house around a year ago and every room in the house had some amazing old wallpaper on the walls. He is a huge lover of retro things so he kept most of the original wallpaper.

I'm actually doing a little exhibition in a week which is a collection of photos of my Father-in-law and my son in different rooms in the house.
    The exhibition was offered to me under very short notice so I still have more photos to take. I'll probably post all of them here after the exhibition.

look forward to seeing them, love your work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

About 09.55 this morning

047aab.jpg

You jammy git !! , always a shot i've wanted to get !

Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

The (excellent) quality of the portrait itself aside, that wallpaper is just the most awesome backdrop evar.
    It really is. The tones are beautiful here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

that wallpaper is just the most awesome backdrop evar.

It screams early 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Iancar29 wrote: »
    You jammy git !! , always a shot i've wanted to get !

Well done !

Obviously right place and the right time, I saw an Air Canada going over the moon when I was out the back about an hour earlier but did not have my camera ready and I just waited - about 4 overflyers went by but did not go close to the moon and then this KLM 747 went right over!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What sort of focal length and sensor size were you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 150-500mm lens at 500mm handheld

Deadlie wrote: »
    21031078529_c955f0773e_z.jpg

The pose is really bizarre here. Her head looks as though it was literally just shifted sideways about 6 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

The pose is really bizarre here. Her head looks as though it was literally just shifted sideways about 6 inches.
    Daire, you're just not keeping up with modern trends! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

20756105510_8e5a142e52_c.jpg

Love it :) Really really happy joyfull fun picture one of the best I've seen in such a long time :cool:

But... the pnly thing is the bottom of the image theres that black line/ table end, it really doesnt need to be there, thats justa passing thought its not a critisim because I love the picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm impressed by the lack of 'moire' in the net curtains.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A case of he who blinks last gets the treats? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

Love it :) Really really happy joyfull fun picture one of the best I've seen in such a long time :cool:

But... the pnly thing is the bottom of the image theres that black line/ table end, it really doesnt need to be there, thats justa passing thought its not a critisim because I love the picture :)

Thank you :D
    Criticism noted :)
    I did debate with myself whether I should keep the bottom of the table in the frame or not.
    But I decided to keep it as I really don't like cropping my photos. That's the way I framed it, so that's the way it stays ;)
    Funny enough I did take a photo with the camera angled slightly up and I thought it looked odd with the table top starting at the very bottom of the frame. It gave no context for the table and moved my son too low in the frame.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Myksyk wrote: »
    A car winds down through the Gap of Dunloe Co Kerry and lights up the foreground for my Milky Way shot.
    21290745572_24be31fa70_c.jpg

This photo is just stunning.

Absolutely superb, I could just look at that image for hours on end..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks very much. Really appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I really like this photo too!

However, could I put something out there, I'm not sure if others will agree or if it is just me..

Would you consider cropping some off the right hand side and bottom of the photo? same aspect ratio, just crop in... there isn't much on the right in particular, but what I think the photo would gain most is we would be able to get a closer look at the part where the car is winding down the road, it's very small in the frame now and it does form a nice curve that I'd love to see more...

Also, would you consider cloning out some of the reflection of the car lights? They are a bit distracting imo..?

Finally, and the answer to this is probably no, can anything be done about the brown-ness of the water?

Don't get me wrong though, cracking shot. :)

Edit, my 2 second crappy attempt, lol. I only have a tiny resolution version anyway

9p949dW.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks mystic. Appreciate the feedback. I like the shot but its far from perfect. I've tried cropping at various sizes but settled on this although i too would have liked that car light a little more visible. But I think the expanse of the shot is more 'important' to me. Don't talk to me about those car reflections ... I gave up after a while but I like them there now. I'm ok with the water colour tbh ... I guess there are all sorts of options. I learned a lot from the shot and the processing particularly and hope the next one will be better. This was a case of just taking the shot as the opportunity arose with the car coming. I'm now anxious to get back out and really work on taking two different shots for the sky and the foreground. This is how all the Milky Way shots that wow me are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Myksyk wrote: »
    Thanks very much. Really appreciate that.

How was it done, would you mind telling?

It's just a blend of two shots, one for the sky and one for the foreground. It wasn't ideal insofar I wasn't set up to take the foreground in the shot so it's fuzzy. I just reacted to the car being there. After that it's a couple of hours in Lightroom (for colour, balance, sharpening etc) and photoshop, to blend through layering and masking ... and general clean up. And hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I was hoping it wouldn't be copyright protected on Flickr so I could use it as my desktop picture. It's superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I posted my pics in the wrong thread...hahahahhahahahahahhahahahah

MoFo's feeding on my apples....
    21384828652_cf9c3ee0b3_b.jpg

Feicin' BEES

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Congratulations on your newborn. Amazing photograph to have and thanks so much for sharing.

dinneenp wrote: »

you should talk to @pullandbang about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

M.J.M.C wrote: »

Cheers M.J.M.C - whirlwind weekend - only managed to take a handful of shots so looking forward to getting the camera out today..

Advertisement