Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist in the wrong and looses the plot at me...

Options
  • 10-07-2015 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I usually cycle to work, but drove today. Coming down Iona Road, Dublin, a cyclist came straight out without even stopping from either Chapelgate or St Joseph's Ave, straight out into the middle of the road and kept cycling in the same direction as me. Thank god I wasn't another few metres ahead or going any faster as he we would have colided. I blew the horn, couldn't believe how stupid this guy was doing that like you don't join another road without at least slowing down to check if anything is coming. There was no break in his speed just straight out infront of me. No helmet but that's his own choice but seriously this guy was looking to be killed. He wasn't happy I had blown the horn and then passed him so mouthed something at me, grand whatever I kept going. When I stopped at the end of the road to turn onto the main road by Quinns pub he mouthed something again so i pulled down my window and said to him how he came straight out in front of me and he was going to get himself killed. He went mental, as in head shaking, syliva flying mental...i was a bit scared. i seriously wish i had it on camera, called me a d!ckhead and everything else under the sun, gave out to me for passing him (i did nothing wrong and am entitled to pass the cyclist as there was nothing coming towards me) told me to f-off his f-ing road and went on an on about his road I was trying to answer back as best I could but was not getting into a shouting match that early in public!! ...serious rant. And no he doesn't own the road, his arguments in his rant were as stupid as he was. As i said I cycle most days so am well aware of the tension between some motorists and cyclists, wish cyclist had number plates though because no one should be subject to that rage. This guy needs to tone it down or sort out his underlying issues. I wouldn't leave an animal with him. Absolute looper. He was 110% in the wrong so struggling to understand why he lost the plot with me!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just as well he wasn't driving a car, God only knows how many innocents he would have slaughtered :P

Unfortunately, there are plenty of nut jobs on all forms of transport. Best avoided and chalked up to experience after the encounter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Paragraphs are great things...

But anyway, most of lifes problems are simply explained by realising that a significant portion of the population are just mad. It's not worth the effort trying to talk with these people.

AmLfoJ0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cookie2015 wrote: »
    wish cyclist had number plates though because no one should be subject to that rage
    So one nutcase rides a bike and we all get subjected to an impractical, expensive and probably unworkable bureaucracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Here we go again....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No helmet but that's his own choice
    MOD VOICE: There is a mega thread for this, not for discussion here
    wish cyclist had number plates though
    This too can be left alone, it's been discussed to death, if people wish to discuss it search the forum for one of the other threads on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Best thing I learned from around 20 yeas of commuting in and out of Dublin city centre by bus, car and bike is just do nothing and ignore them, no point in getting into a shouting matching. From experience it's all a bit pointless trying to point out the error of other peoples ways, let them have their little wins in their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If its not on Strava..it didn't happen. :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

galljga1 wrote: »
    Here we go again....
    Yay! - it's ...

tumblr_inline_ndyuxgxtv71qkqld6.jpg

Thread is likely to be locked once Friday is finished mind;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

He went mental, as in head shaking, syliva flying mental

I was just drooling at how hot you are.

What surprises me most is that someone with experience of driving and cycling in Dublin, for presumably at least a couple of months, is shocked by another road user not accepting responsibility for their own stupidity.

Even more someone who presumably lives or spends alot of time in Dublin is surprised that there are lunatics on the streets.

If this is the first time you have seen such stupidity or such a reaction then you can't be paying to much attention.

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    I was just drooling at how hot you are.

I thought it was you by the description but wasn't certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

ye.. there are random nutjob fu(kbags all over the place.. on bikes, in cars, on streets - even in shopping centres and places of work. Thank goodness they haven't made it the internet yet!

op - this one does sound a bit extra special.. but what can you do? aint gonna reverse so many years of bad practice and anger at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cookie2015

ok was just so annoyed at the way he shouted at me! Honestly his aggression was scary! Will surly see him again I use that road every day both cycling or driving, will be sure to give him a big salute the next time! Grrrr not! Will leave it go now, ignore in future and enjoy my Friday *and breathe*

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cookie2015

CramCycle wrote: »
    What surprises me most is that someone with experience of driving and cycling in Dublin, for presumably at least a couple of months, is shocked by another road user not accepting responsibility for their own stupidity.

Even more someone who presumably lives or spends alot of time in Dublin is surprised that there are lunatics on the streets.

If this is the first time you have seen such stupidity or such a reaction then you can't be paying to much attention.

I'm new to Dublin!!! Learning quickly thou..... Swear this wouldn't happen at home :P I joke.... there are lunatics everywhere I know! NOt used to being spoken to like this and I shouldn't have to be either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

If only there was a screening out process which had to be gone through before they'd allow people leave their homes every morning. Bit like a last minute Mammy-check before sending little Johnny out to school.

Bag? Lunch? Homework? Let me look at you. Stand up straight. Teeth brushed? Prove it, breathe. Hands? Fingernails? Fresh underpants?

To which could be simply added:

Being an a******e?

There's an awful lot in modern life we can put down to the falling standards in being a proper Irish Mammy.

Patww79 wrote: »

Have you read any reply to this OPs post ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dashcam is your only man. An excellent system can be had for €50-80 these days. Got one fitted over a year ago and it got me out of serious trouble once* which meant it's worth every penny.

Seriously consider getting one.

*FWIW I had a guy reverse into me, he claimed I drove into him, rang the Guards, they believed him. By the time I had downloaded the camera footage he was walking around on crutches with a neck brace. I took the video to the Guards and he was off the neckbrace and crutches two days later.

EDIT: One from LIDL for €60 next week http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=27358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

btw - same sh!t happens to me almost every morning coming though Rathmines - people flying through lights (any colour.. not going there) from Leinster Road into the citybound traffic flow - I suspect some must at least have a small look for oncomming cars but often fail to look for other cyclists, which often means me swerving and/or braking (and swearing to myself) to avoid them..

Doesnt help that the new road markings there forces weird traffic merging situations at the best of times..

• Advertisement

For what its worth.. point I was making is there are complete morons all over the place - if you want to turn it into a cars v cyclists thing and lumping all car drivers and all cyclists into two homogeneous groups then batter in.. I was keeping it to Non-nutjobs vs nutjobs

I'm new to Dublin!!! Learning quickly thou..... Swear this wouldn't happen at home :P I joke.... there are lunatics everywhere I know! NOt used to being spoken to like this and I shouldn't have to be either!
    Definitely not, you shouldn't have to be. It is unfortunately a typical reaction in Dublin to someone pointing out an error in someones ways.

My recommendation if you feel the need to point things out is to smile, friendly wave, it disarms the other party in most cases. If the person comes to your window (or you to theirs), just say, something civil but clear eg
    "Didn't mean to scare you there but I don't think you realise how close you were to being hit, might want to consider slowing up through the junction there"

Anytime I react with a loud voice, it rarely leads to constructive discussion. Most times I use a calm voice, it typically ends up with a no harm done but we know for again style discussion.

Just my opinion.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Have you read any reply to this OPs post ?
    Apparently not, I don't think anyone has said the cyclist was in the right or that the behaviour was acceptable but some people have their preconceived notions about what will be said and don't really care whether it happens or not. I imagine the OP was read, and then seeing there was replies (but not reading them) a response was put up.

Eh, the general consensus is that's he's a mentaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Just as well he's not behind the wheel of a car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i normally find if you go mentaler than the person going mental they kind of sheepishly bugger off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

But, it is the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Coming down Iona Road, Dublin, a cyclist came straight out without even stopping from either Chapelgate or St Joseph's Ave, straight out into the middle of the road and kept cycling in the same direction as me. Thank god I wasn't another few metres ahead or going any faster as he we would have colided.

We all agree that he is a nutcase and his behaviour is in excusable.
    However he probably read the road, saw your speed and saw a space and went for it.

Going on the information you provided he filtered into traffic.

From his point of view, he might not have seen a problem and got startled by the your horn beeping.

did you have to break ? if so how much did you have to adjust your speed by?

lennymc wrote: »
    i normally find if you go mentaler than the person going mental they kind of sheepishly bugger off

I had a crazed American bloke got really mental at me one day, he was driving a van with the name of the company all over it which made it easy for me to follow up on. When I rang and got put through to a manager, he had a sigh of resignation in his voice which implied oh no, someone else ringing up about this guy again.

But he said the next time he sees me he's going to slit my throat. Not quite sure what kind of levels of mental I would have had to go to at that point to make him look like reasonable. Maybe all Hannibal Lecter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Oww my eyes hurt reading that post! Ever heard of a bit of formatting? Paragraph's etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I had a crazed American bloke got really mental at me one day, he was driving a van with the name of the company all over it which made it easy for me to follow up on. When I rang and got put through to a manager, he had a sigh of resignation in his voice which implied oh no, someone else ringing up about this guy again.

But he said the next time he sees me he's going to slit my throat. Not quite sure what kind of levels of mental I would have had to go to at that point to make him look like reasonable. Maybe all Hannibal Lecter ?

There's nothing for it. You're just going to have to actually slit his throat. Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement