Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Seve OB wrote: »
    WOW........

He's only gone and Dunne it again folks!
    70, 65 for -9 to win @ Woburn and for 2 years on the trot to qualify for the British Open!

As the man says, I'll eat my hat if he does not get picked for the Walker Cup team.

A big name for the future of Irish golf people, Greystones own, Paul Dunne. Well done lad.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/paul-dunne-qualifies-for-open-championship-after-brilliant-65-1.2268104

It's Captain's Day on Saturday at Greystones GC. There will be some bar tab I imagine.
    I still remember playing his dad in a match years and years ago, when Paul was caddying for him. Gangly kid. Who knew!
    A few years later we were on the same Metropolitan team - team got to the semis and not one of his opponents lasted beyond the 14th.
    After that, things just took off.
    +5... but he also has a great head on him. Put your money on him making the cut at The Open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

+5, Sweet Jesus

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

slave1 wrote: »
    +5, Sweet Jesus

Bandit

ForeRight wrote: »
    Bandit

Yep, that's what we call him at Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Yep, that's what we call him at Greystones.

I get dizzy just thinking about that handicap. It's insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Some acheivement.

That handicap is just insane, imagine there'd be days when he'd shoot under par and get a .1!! Surely destined for big things in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

There is certainly a crop of talented Amatuers including Dunne, Sharvin, Moynihan, Hume, McElroy and Galbraith all pushing for Walker Cup places. Who can tell how many will get the pick, but the odds are reasonably good as a lot of the previous team have already turned pro.

There is certainly a crop of talented Amatuers including Dunne, Sharvin, Moynihan, Hume, McElroy and Galbraith all pushing for Walker Cup places. Who can tell how many will get the pick, but the odds are reasonably good as a lot of the previous team have already turned pro.

I reckon 3 are a shoo-in (1st 3 on your list), and 5 would be the cherry on top. I think Hume and Hurley are next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I reckon 3 are a shoo-in (1st 3 on your list), and 5 would be the cherry on top. I think Hume and Hurley are next in line.

Moynihan, Hurley, Sharvin are certs, Dunne is now likely a cert also.

Hume will need to pull a win out of the bag to get in at this stage, very unlikely we will get 5 on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/9899491/colin-montgomerie-has-one-last-open-qualifying-chance
    Paul Dunne on Sky sports

He better get used to this kind of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Monty should have a feebie. He won the order of merit loads of times. Well done Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Monty should have a feebie. He won the order of merit loads of times. Well done Dunne.

I disagree. For every exemption you give to the likes of Monty, you close the door on a qualifer like Paul Dunne.

Yea and when he won the order of merit it gave him a freebie to play in the Open, did it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Going for his tour card towards the end of the year. Some talent, hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

there is indeed some crop. Still think Moynihan is the pick of that bunch. His fellow player from the Island Kevin Leblanc could be another in the making. He's only 17 too.

will be fascinating to see how they all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I disagree. For every exemption you give to the likes of Monty, you close the door on a qualifer like Paul Dunne.

In fairness I think most people would rather see a legend like Monty in action at the Open rather than a qualifier. The exception being when he's "our qualifier" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Milkers wrote: »
    In fairness I think most people would rather see a legend like Monty in action at the Open rather than a qualifier. The exception being when he's "our qualifier" :-)

Who would rather see a 51 year old, fat ignorant grumpy old man play in the open than an exciting up and coming 22yr old?? Not many is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Milkers wrote: »
    In fairness I think most people would rather see a legend like Monty in action at the Open rather than a qualifier.

if it means we dont have to hear him in the commentary box ;):D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Who would rather see a 51 year old, fat ignorant grumpy old man play in the open than an exciting up and coming 22yr old?? Not many is my guess.

You are not living in the real world if you think the average casual golf viewer cares one jot about a no-name qualifier vs a household name. Hence the expression household name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was never a fan of his swing or temperment during his prime and can't stand his commentary on Sky Sports but he was rather impressive in the US Open this year from tee to green despite the distance he was giving up to the field.
    That said he doesn't deserve any exemption based on his yesteryear order of merrit rankings so let him go through the qualifying stages like everyone else and if he wins a place based on performance and form then fair play.

• Advertisement

Super Dooper Star :)

C'mon Dunners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Most, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

You might not like him and I certainly am not a fan, but a lot of people would follow him with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

-6 now. Take a bow young man

19156934644_7b5c995c8c_z.jpgIMAG1191 by stevieob, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff.

Anyone know where he plays his links golf ?

Is he from around there Seve - does he play Euro a bit ?

Local boy, his dad is a member off 4. He has been in UAB for a few years, where GMac went. And did very, very well there,

19772800382_c9d062deff_z.jpgIMAG1196 by stevieob, on Flickr

2 Greystones Legends. Alan Murray on his bag is head coach @ UAB and won US coach of the year. I played a lot with Alan when he was a kid, played many times for Ireland and turned pro, played on Euro Pro tour and Challenge tour but I think he has found his calling.

Big credit goes out to Karl Holmes also, the head Pro in Greystones who brought Paul up through the ranks.

I think everyone in the club always k we he was going to be a superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus - what happened with you so Seve - joking man.

Never seen such a polished tv performance from such a young guy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

He comes across very well in the BBC interviews. Fair play to him, fantastic golf.

Advertisement