Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Amendment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

swampgas wrote: »
    Why? She didn't have an abortion, because she had a choice.

Does allowing women to make their own decisions scare you that much?

Obviously you prefer the constitution to take away women's autonomy as soon as they become pregnant, because women can't be trusted to decide for themselves? So much better if Black Menorca and pals decide for them instead ...

Only select people should have the ability to coerce.

I thought it was about preventing babies being slaughtered by McBortions but now the opinion of the woman suddenly comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

am946745 wrote: »

I'm curious in what way you think this story supports an anti abortion position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Kev W wrote: »
    I'm curious in what way you think this story supports an anti abortion position.

Or in what way Ireland's wee pretendy ban on abortion would stop an Irish boss from issuing the same threat to an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's the Daily Mail, its readers need to keep their hatred of women alive somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

volchitsa wrote: »
    Or in what way Ireland's wee pretendy ban on abortion would stop an Irish boss from issuing the same threat to an employee.

I'm still proud Ireland stands in the face of the abortion industry and its agents in maintaining the criminal status of their business interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yawn.

Anyone know where I can invest in this abortion industry? Must be worth a fortune if its as huge as its made out to be here. I guess you could say I'd make a killing *wink wink*

Anyone know where I can invest in this abortion industry? Must be worth a fortune if its as huge as its made out to be here. I guess you could say I'd make a killing *wink wink*

Well maybe I can help you there. As ever (biggest gay bar in Europe, anyone?) The Catholic Church Ltd., via one or other of its various business outlets has its finger in just about any service where there is money to be made : http://www.patheos.com/blogs/yimcatholic/2013/05/archdiocese-of-new-york-health-plan-covers-contraception-and-abortion-services.html

"New York Health Plan Covers Contraception and Abortion Services"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

What about http://www.novellabs.net... Who make Misoprostol.. Do you think its made for Free?

You think the companies that support the Abortion industry are NFP's?

What about http://www.novellabs.net... Who make Misoprostol.. Do you think its made for Free?

Misoprostol was developed as an anti-ulcer drug, and is still used in that indication. Its tendency to provoke early labour is a side effect, and was initially (and still is) used both to speed up labour when necessary and to declench labour in cases of fetal death in-utero. It would take an imbecile not to work out that any drug that declenches labour is likely to cause abortions.

So unless you're going to insist that a drugs company puts strict controls on the legal uses of all of its products, you're hardly going to be able to make much of a case for this so-called "abortion industry" from a mere pharmaceutical company.

They're no more guilty than a Vatican whose dioceses finance abortions on company healthcare for their employees, are they? Though a lot less hypocritical, I grant you that! :D

• Advertisement

Misoprostol was developed as an anti-ulcer drug, and is still used in that indication. Its tendency to provoke early labour is a side effect, and was initially (and still is) used both to speed up labour when necessary and to declench labour in cases of fetal death in-utero. It would take an imbecile not to work out that any drug that declenches labour is likely to cause abortions.

So unless you're going to insist that a drugs company puts strict controls on the legal uses of all of its products, you're hardly going to be able to make much of a case for this so-called "abortion industry" from a mere pharmaceutical company.

They're no more guilty than a Vatican whose dioceses finance abortions on company healthcare for their employees, are they? Though a lot less hypocritical, I grant you that! :D

So nobody is profiting from abortion? And what has the vatican got to do with the thread?

So nobody is profiting from abortion?
    Pharmaceutical companies profit from cancer, from malaria, from starving children and poor water supplies that cause diarrhea in kids. From people suffering from high blood pressure, from diabetes and epilepsy - any number of other problems. If you have a problem with capitalism, you might have a point, though most people in our society seem to feel that only complete cranks complain about pharmaceutical companies making money from legal drug production.

If you don't have a problem with them making profits from other medication, or with them making profits from a product when it's used for one legal activity but think they're evil when it's used for a different, equally legal activity, then you can't be expected to be taken seriously.

In particular you cant expect your criticism to be understood as anything other than yet another desperate attempt to disguise your real motives behind spurious ones.
    And what has the vatican got to do with the thread?
    The Vatican supports "abortion industries" (if such a thing exists) by U.S. Dioceses paying for abortions for their employees.

Which is kind of hypocritical, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

lazygal wrote: »

A Catholic Hospital is not the Catholic Church, I don't know how they are relevant to this thread? The argument against abortion is not a religious one its a secular one.

A Catholic Hospital is not the Catholic Church, I don't know how they are relevant to this thread?
    What's your understanding of how practices in a Catholic hospital in the U.S. are meant to differ from a non-Catholic one?
    The argument against abortion is not a religious one its a secular one.
    What on earth do you mean by a "secular argument"? As as I know secularism has nothing to say about abortion at all. Does it?

What on earth do you mean by a "secular argument"? As as I know secularism has nothing to say about abortion at all. Does it?

The Eight amendment was not a Catholic one, it was a civil secular amendment.

http://www.secularprolife.org

The Eight amendment was not a Catholic one, it was a civil secular amendment.

http://www.secularprolife.org

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Ah, yes. Hopefully this year they won't lie about the turnout.

Oh, this reminds me. Black Menorca, the figures you so eagerly wanted have now been published. 26 abortions on Irish soil under the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/26-terminations-carried-out-under-protection-of-life-during-pregnancy-bill-1.2266839

My friend had one hell of an abortion then, the doctors aborted those ulcers. What about these places making lots of money with 34 week abortion?

Since you returned, will you be explaining how our abortion laws prevent a womans boss telling her to get an abortion or why a boss failing to coerce a woman into having an abortion is a bad thing?

Oh, this reminds me. Black Menorca, the figures you so eagerly wanted have now been published. 26 abortions on Irish soil under the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/26-terminations-carried-out-under-protection-of-life-during-pregnancy-bill-1.2266839

Why are they calling them abortion? I thought they weren't called that when the womans life is at risk.

I've no need to lie, but I daresay the turnout will be phenom.

Very fer terminations, which is great to see. None with the intention to kill the unborn, As I'd expected.

The abortion industry is as far as ever in getting a grubby foothold in this country.

The worry is the 3 due to suicide ideation. Though very low, its the one avenue that could lead to liberalisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

http://www.thejournal.ie/abortions-ireland-26-2188298-Jun2015/

26 Terminations carried out under the new legislation according to Leo Varadker. Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I can't wait for Saturday. Its going to be legendary.

Lots of help needed with the organising so please volunteer if you can, otherwise see you there. :)

Struggling for numbers to organise the ****e? Not suprising

Bernadette Smyths conviction for harrassing former Loyalist Terror apologist and now apologist for Marie Stopes, Dawn Purvis, has been overturned by the Court of Appeal in Belfast. :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33317597

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/abortions-ireland-26-2188298-Jun2015/

26 Terminations carried out under the new legislation according to Leo Varadker. Make of it what you will.

So no queues for abortions like some of the fanatics would claim would happen.

So no queues for abortions like some of the fanatics would claim would happen.

I always had faith in the X Case legislation. One termination every fortnight would be consistant with levels before the law was passed I'd say.

Every life counts.

10353114_10153054551027363_8127117625508229816_n.png?oh=993f473b820f8b14f75594b18d8e77e1&oe=56326362

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Every life counts.

Even if its the pregnant teenager you want locked up until she gives birth?

Your mask has fallen weeks ago BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Every life counts.

Unless they are Sunni Muslim right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Unless they are Sunni Muslim right?

:pac: I spat diet coke on my phone. Thank you :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I can't wait for Saturday. Its going to be legendary.

Lots of help needed with the organising so please volunteer if you can, otherwise see you there. :)

See this is a common mistake, the word you're actually looking for is "mythical".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement