Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries & Blackberries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Can confirm the Polish shop in Coolmine /Blancharstown ('Polo Store') sells 2kg Strawberries for 4.95. They're not bad, not the sweetest though, IMO. Will be freezing some for jam-making. Yum!

20150612_195835.jpg

Cherries also, but no idea about quality (or if it's a good deal)

20150612_195839.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cavey

Dunnes Stores sell frozen blueberries, 2euro for 300g bag.

They also do frozen raspberries, 2euro for 340g.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Cavey wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores sell frozen blueberries, 2euro for 300g bag.

They also do frozen raspberries, 2euro for 340g.

Are they Irish or imported....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

2kg of fresh cherries (Spanish) in SV Ballinteer today for €5, sign said a saving of €14.96. Bought 2 boxes of them and 1st is nearly gone.

Not sure if it's in every branch.

Cherries....branch... That's a cracker!:D

Are they Irish or imported....?

It doesn't state on either where they're from, only that they're packaged in Kildare for the various Dunnes Stores.

They are both absolutely delicious though, use them most days as a topping for my oats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It doesn't state on either where they're from, only that they're packaged in Kildare for the various Dunnes Stores.

They are both absolutely delicious though, use them most days as a topping for my oats.

FSAI are still recommending that imported frozen berries need to be boiled before use to avoid hepatitis

https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/berries_hepatitis_a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

camz09 wrote: »
    Can confirm the Polish shop in Coolmine /Blancharstown ('Polo Store') sells 2kg Strawberries for 4.95. They're not bad, not the sweetest though, IMO. Will be freezing some for jam-making. Yum!

Cherries also, but no idea about quality (or if it's a good deal)

Cherries are a bargain - is that 2kgs for €8.99 ??

Lidl are selling cherries at €12.99 per kg !

Lidl still doing the 2 for €3.00 Blackberries this week.

RainyDay wrote: »
    FSAI are still recommending that imported frozen berries need to be boiled before use to avoid hepatitis

Yeah I assume these are imported since they don't say. I emailed Dunnes anyway to see if they know, probably won't hear back about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

They're doing bowls of cherries for €2 from the prams on Mary Street, gorgeous and you get loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw an ad in today's paper for Tesco, they're doing 1kg of strawberries for €5 which is an absolute bargain. Not sure when the offer begins, might be on now or starting at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Saw an ad in today's paper for Tesco, they're doing 1kg of strawberries for €5 which is an absolute bargain. Not sure when the offer begins, might be on now or starting at the weekend.

Dunnes have the same deal, they are Clark's strawberries

Nowt on website that I can see so far.

Dunnes actually got back to me on this!

Their frozen blueberries come from North America and the frozen raspberries are from Poland.

Dunnes actually got back to me on this!

Their frozen blueberries come from North America and the frozen raspberries are from Poland.

Wow I'm surprised they did get back to you.

Very interesting that they are imported.
    I think the FSAI/HSE should force Dunnes and all other supermarkets display the origin of their frozen berries on the packaging and on a notice in the freezer aisle. Along with the boil notice as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

RainyDay wrote: »

Hope this isn't fresh berries aswell!

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anymore info on this?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hope this isn't fresh berries aswell!

No. Frozen berries only.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crayon80

Would you not destroy frozen berries by boiling? They're mushy enough when defrosted.

I know mushy berries is better than the health risk "alternative" but just wonderin' :D

And what do you do with the boiled mush, anything other than smoothies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

crayon80 wrote: »

They're fab whipped in with cream, let it set for a couple of hours and use to fill meringues or shortbread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

crayon80 wrote: »
    Would you not destroy frozen berries by boiling? They're mushy enough when defrosted.

I know mushy berries is better than the health risk "alternative" but just wonderin' :D

I know, it's a killer. It makes frozen ones pretty useless.

FSAI should really ban the imported ones if there is a significant risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

xalot wrote: »
    They're fab whipped in with cream, let it set for a couple of hours and use to fill meringues or shortbread.

Whipped with cream and filled with meringue must surely take the healthiness out of them

Whipped with cream and filled with meringue must surely take the healthiness out of them

I think if you are eating them with cream and meringue then you are eating the berries for their taste, rather than for their health benefits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

I think its €5 for a punnet of strawberries from these little huts.
    Anyone think its good value?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

chancer007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I think its €5 for a punnet of strawberries from these little huts.
    Anyone think its good value?

Thanks

Isn't it usually 2 for €5? Depends on the size of the punnet I guess. Always feel sorry for the kids manning those huts, sitting around all day (presumably getting paid a pittance).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

loyatemu wrote: »
    Isn't it usually 2 for €5? Depends on the size of the punnet I guess. Always feel sorry for the kids manning those huts, sitting around all day (presumably getting paid a pittance).

Kids sitting around all day, listening to headphones and sending instant messages on their phone; which is what they would do anyway, without the pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

just saw blackberries (125g) reduced from €1.99 to €1.19 in Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Keelings blueberries are 100% extra free in tesco at the moment. I know keelings are more expensive than the normal tesco brand but i have to say I do find the quality better.

So it's 2.99 for 250g instead of 125g or €4.50 for the bigger 400g pack (instead of 200g).

Also, if u buy 2 packs you get them for €5. So it works out at 500g for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fr benny cake

These people selling strawberries in the roadsides of Ireland are exempt from the health and safety authority. No toilets or hand washing facilities yet they still operate. I am involved in a project close to one of these roadside vendors and the smell of stale urine from where he or she is urinating is horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

These people selling strawberries in the roadsides of Ireland are exempt from the health and safety authority. No toilets or hand washing facilities yet they still operate. I am involved in a project close to one of these roadside vendors and the smell of stale urine from where he or she is urinating is horrendous.

I know our fruit are exposed to an abundance of chemicals before arriving in supermarkets but the car fumes at these busy roadsides surely have an effect on these strawberries? Open to argument on that though.

€1.69 for a punnet of green seedless grapes in Lidl at the moment.

Advertisement