Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries & Blackberries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Are there any fruit farms around the Dublin area any more? I used to bring the children when they were young to pick locally but there aren't any farms round us any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

CH3OH wrote: »
    The strawberries in Lidl have gone up in price,, but they are excellent quality and the last ones I got were Irish.

They taste fantastic and they have that gorgeous Irish strawberry smell.

I've been seen sniffing the packs:)

Ew, off to Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's still May!

Yes but grow under glass they'd be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Are there any fruit farms around the Dublin area any more? I used to bring the children when they were young to pick locally but there aren't any farms round us any more.

As far as I know Lambert's fruit farm still let you pick your own

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

boogaloop wrote: »
    Taking this slightly off topic but what is the best way of keeping raspberries (in particular) fresh? I find I buy them (usually at either local market or in a supermarket), bring them home, wash them, put them in the fridge but they go off in under 2 days.
    Is there any way around this? I dont always get to use them within 2 days, maybe I should just wash them & freeze them?

Even washing them seems to 'de-stabilize' them/make them mushy :(

Thanks in advance.

I store them in the bottom of the fridge and only wash them just before I eat them.

I'm very careful and particular when choosing raspberries (and other berries) in the supermarket. I always check that the best before date is a few days ahead. If it's the next day, I just don't buy them. I've had too many bad experiences. Have a look at the raspberries in the packet to make sure there is no mouldy or manky ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Went into my local Supervalu to stock up on berries....very disappointed to see that nothing was home grown.
    And I was very taken back to see Keelings strawberries, grown in the Netherlands......
    So I bought strawberries and rasberries, from the Netherlands, and blueberries from Spain...
    I know we are in the EU, but in the height of the Summer, surely more berries on sale, should be grown in Ireland..
    rant over...thanks....

That's strange about the strawberries because Keelings Irish strawberries have been in Dunnes Stores for the last few weeks. Maybe it's just SuperValu not stocking them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Went into my local Supervalu to stock up on berries....very disappointed to see that nothing was home grown.

SuperValu Deansgrange had a fridge filled with Wexford strawberries last weekend. 2 for €5 and they were delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

It annoys me that people think that in May, after a long grey winter and spring that delicate berries can suddenly be ripe after a few days of sunshine in Ireland in anything other than an artificially lit and heated (energy intense) glass house.

I know from a farm that grow strawberries in Wexford in outdoor tunnels, they are a little late this year due to a cool spring and should be ready in 2 weeks until about October.

Blueberries and Blackberries are the latest berries to ripen and aren't naturally ready until July/August so Spain or France is the only options.

Additionally, to those who are expecting bargains this week, the wholesale price of strawberries has skyrocketed in the past 2 weeks due to higher consumer demand and little increase in local availability yet. But customers just think they are like tins of beans produced and priced on a whim. Wait until late June.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Polo stores have wooden crates of 2kg of strawberries for €5

They do that every year. Very tasty strawberries, but they don't keep long, have to eat them in a couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

unkel wrote: »

They do that every year. Very tasty strawberries, but they don't keep long, have to eat them in a couple of days

freeze them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Do you mean Polonez shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nope. Polo Stores. There's a lot of them in / around Dublin, but I don't think there are in other parts of the country. How Polonez are still in business is beyond me. Few times I was in any of their shops and whatever I looked at was seriously overpriced (compared to both Polo stores and traditional supermarkets such as Tesco, Dunnes etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

just back from nearest polo shop and got the box of strawberries for €5. look as if they are from spain. same amount in tesco would cost €20
    Nope. Polo Stores. There's a lot of them in / around Dublin, but I don't think there are in other parts of the country. How Polonez are still in business is beyond me. Few times I was in any of their shops and whatever I looked at was seriously overpriced (compared to both Polo stores and traditional supermarkets such as Tesco, Dunnes etc.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Bought some Irish ones in Keelings 5.50 for a kg beautiful 10 times nice than any supermarket ones and twice the size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ew, off to Aldi

A friend told me at the weekend how all the Aldi HQ staff in Newbridge run down to Lidl for their fruit and veg, as they know Lidl buy a higher spec product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Do keelings have a shop or wagon out by the airport? Anyone got directions or know opening times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

A friend told me at the weekend how all the Aldi HQ staff in Newbridge run down to Lidl for their fruit and veg, as they know Lidl buy a higher spec product.

:pac:

"All" the Aldi HQ staff raid LIDL at the weekend... sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Aldi HQ is in Naas. Why would they go to Newbridge :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

wonski wrote: »
    Aldi HQ is in Naas. Why would they go to Newbridge :confused:

My bad.

A friend told me at the weekend how all the Aldi HQ staff in Newbridge Road, Naas, County Kildare run down to Lidl for their fruit and veg, as they know Lidl buy a higher spec product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My bad.

A friend told me at the weekend how all the Aldi HQ staff in Newbridge Road, Naas, County Kildare run down to Lidl for their fruit and veg, as they know Lidl buy a higher spec product.

This reminds me of an old joke. Political joke from old days, USSR days.

Is it true they give away cars for free in Moscow?
    Yes, but not cars but bicycles, and not in Moscow, but in Warsaw.

And they don't give them away, but steal them :D

When it comes to specification for fresh fruit and vegetables, there is no one simple spec that would make you run to the competitor to get better quality.

Here in Ireland we - generally - get less quality fruit due to long delivery times. Most varieties that are here are here only because of long shelf life.

Long shelf life, unfortunately, means less taste.

There is a bit of difference between Lidl and Aldi, but it has nothing to do with the original specs, more to do with how it is managed in the stores.

Lidl is better at rotating stock at a store level. I have seen their employees going through their shelves now and then while in Aldi stock seems to be left unattended until it rots. They bring new stock in when the shelf is empty.

Irish Strawberry is very good now in Aldi btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Bored.1e

Gamebred wrote: »
    Bought some Irish ones in Keelings 5.50 for a kg beautiful 10 times nice than any supermarket ones and twice the size.

Is that the one near the airport? Last time i went there the shop isn't there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Yeah they have a shop there now anyway just go in the entrance and its on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah they have a shop there now anyway just go in the entrance and its on the right.

Anyone got a google map location? I'm a strawberry addict and it costs a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bored.1e

Anyone got a google map location? I'm a strawberry addict and it costs a fortune!

goo.gl/maps/rphEiA867KJ2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

2 for a fiver off all roadside vans.....and they are lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

2 for a fiver off all roadside vans.....and they are lovely!

What weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Bored.1e wrote: »
    Is that the one near the airport? Last time i went there the shop isn't there.

Anyone know until what time they are open.. Have to go to airport tomorrow but won't be able to make until at least 17.30

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

125g of blueberries for 79c on the Aldi Super 6 from tomorrow for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Nice one thanks . love the blueberries .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone know until what time they are open.. Have to go to airport tomorrow but won't be able to make until at least 17.30

Don't bother. There's no discount there at all and it'll cost you X in diesel/petrol. Went in recently enough and bought as I was there, but it's no cheaper than Tesco/Dunnes/Super Valu Etc. In fact it's likely more expensive as most of those have some sort of offer on rotation.

Advertisement