Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best IPA

• 17-06-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Ever since I tried Of Foam and Fury I've been trying any IPA I can find, be it in bottle in the off licence or on tap at the pub. Problem is that none have matched Foam and Fury for me and it's a bit pricey bottle wise and, at 8.5%, liver health wise.

Question I have is, does anyone recommend anything approaching the taste/loveliness of Of Foam and Fury that's maybe a little cheaper for a bottle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

founders centennial ipa - 7.2%, 4 x 355mls for €10

98 on rate beer and high on beer advocate

you wont go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Pliny The Elder is "the best beer in the world", but

1. it's hardly ever available in Ireland
    2. it's hardly ever fresh

2 is important as the hop aromas will deteriorate over a short enough time in highly-hopped beers.

For a slightly different IPA tack, you could do worse than Brehon's Stony Grey IPA, it's more piney and resinous than cirtus and floral.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

For a slightly different IPA tack, you could do worse than Brehon's Stony Grey IPA, it's more piney and resinous than cirtus and floral.

This is a fantastic beer, as is all of their range.

Very underrated imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

Ever since I tried Of Foam and Fury I've been trying any IPA I can find, be it in bottle in the off licence or on tap at the pub. Problem is that none have matched Foam and Fury for me and it's a bit pricey bottle wise and, at 8.5%, liver health wise.

Question I have is, does anyone recommend anything approaching the taste/loveliness of Of Foam and Fury that's maybe a little cheaper for a bottle?
    Not to be pedantic, but Foam And Fury is a Double IPA so if you are looking for something similar you'll need to be looking at that style, not IPA.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kinnegar Black Bucket Black IPA is a recent favourite of mine

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

• Ever since I tried Of Foam and Fury I've been trying any IPA I can find, be it in bottle in the off licence or on tap at the pub. Problem is that none have matched Foam and Fury for me and it's a bit pricey bottle wise and, at 8.5%, liver health wise.

I quite like O'Haras double IPA & it's about €3.50 for a 500ml bottle so a lot easier on the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭willabur

Best is a tough word because I find my tastes change all the time

for me Founders Centennial is an amazing american style IPA
    Try also Modus Hoperandi by SKA brewing
    If you want something really full on (aka double IPA) then look out for Sierra Nevadas Hoptimum, its not cheap but comes in at 10% for a 380 ml bottle, prob cost north of a 5er but its a bloody brilliant beer.

I also echo the shout out for Kinnegar, they know what they are at up there in Donegal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brewdog Punk IPA and Thornbridge Jaipur are worth a look-in too.

The brewdog guy started out at thornbridge. Jaipur is indeed a lovely beer but for what it is it is really expensive. I would say it is closer to the english style IPA than Punk.

Its a pity we don't have more access to the American Market. There are so many amazing IPAs over there which we will probably never see over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any of 8 degrees IPAs

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

What a great response, I'll be very merry trying all the recommendations :-)

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

As DIPA's go its not that expensive, it 5.90 in drink store. The O'Brien's price is crazy. Get a beoir card and you get 10% off all Irish beers.

You will be paying a lot more for beer with flavour unfortunately.

willabur wrote: »
    The brewdog guy started out at thornbridge. Jaipur is indeed a lovely beer but for what it is it is really expensive. I would say it is closer to the english style IPA than Punk.

Its a pity we don't have more access to the American Market. There are so many amazing IPAs over there which we will probably never see over here

I used to think that. But things have got so much better recently, Firestone walker beers are starting to arrive here, easy jack is a great session IPA. Union Jack and Double Jack will be here in a few months.

Double Jack is arguably as good as Pliny the elder. Its so fecking tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

willabur wrote: »
    Its a style which cries out to be drank fresh, the logistics involved in getting beer over from the US dont work towards fresh IPA. The beauty of the classic west coast IPA in the states is that it comes from a very local brewery and is served within days of leaving the brewery.

A lot of guys I know are opening US IPAs here with stratospheric reputations in the US and not getting what all the fuss is about.

yeah, I lived in Montreal for a while which has some world class breweries and was just an hours drive north of Vermont. I was able to get some fresh from the brewery Heady Topper and it was amazing.

But to emphasis your own point I have had some disappointing IPAs here for the very reason you have pointed out above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't buy IPA's anymore unless they have the bottling date. Got burnt badly with a Hardcore by Brewdog, Jai alai was worth it even though it was canned 6 months ago but wouldn't order again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't buy IPA's anymore unless they have the bottling date. Got burnt badly with a Hardcore by Brewdog, Jai alai was worth it even though it was canned 6 months ago but wouldn't order again
    Any rough recommendations on how long is too long after bottling?

dregin wrote: »
    Any rough recommendations on how long is too long after bottling?

For me 2 months is pushing it

3-4 weeks is the peak after bottling. After 3 months you really start to taste the hop profile die off. At 6 months its a different beer.

That being said, a lot of beers can end up here only a few weeks after the bottling date in USA. Always check and buy form the big off licences here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Not a double but I really like Vietnow which is sold on draught in PMacs and blackbird. Great value and it's brewed in Ireland, possibly by Trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ranchu wrote: »
    Not a double but I really like Vietnow which is sold on draught in PMacs and blackbird. Great value and it's brewed in Ireland, possibly by Trouble.

Aye top drink that, also Modus Operandai Quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Op try Via Maris by GBB. Its a table beer made from the same stuff as OFAF as far as I know.

Also give Bevertowns Bloody 'Ell a go. Its outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Second for Beavertown bloody ell.
    Lagunitas a little sumpin sumpin is also worth a look, not technically an IPA, but it sure drinks like one.
    Founders all day IPA for something more sessionable.
    If you want to keep it Irish, eight degrees are knocking it out of the park with most of their seasonal beers, most are very hop forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

The OP might like to try a Triple IPA. There's still some of Troubles Hop Priority around. I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Magic Rocks UnHuman Cannonball, that was some drink.

Also Beavertown have Skull King and Vodoo, a DIPA and TIPA, but worth trying to source!

I prefer Gammy Ray over Bloody ell from Beavertown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Is Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas available on Ireland?
    Probably my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Odells IPA is consistently good

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas available on Ireland?
    Probably my favourite.

Hop stoopid is here. 8.50 a bomber though. The odd keg of Lagunitas sucks floating about too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Try some of The White Hag range .they are in most super valu shops. Irish brewed in county sligo

Advertisement