Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Having my first listen now as a I type this. Don't like Dead Inside, but Psycho is a great track, catchy and more old-style Muse than some of their recent stuff. Can't wait to learn that one on guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I don't understand the over the top hate everyone has for Aftermath. It's not the best song on the album but it's grand.

Dead Inside - Not bad, but sounds like something the bean counters thought would do as a very inoffensive Single, with the catchy title and less emphasis on guitar driven rock.

Psycho - Love this, great solid riff and definitely old school Muse in feel.

Mercy - poor, don't like it at all.

Reapers - great. Van Halen-esque riff at start is a nice touch. The song has an 80s glam rock type feel with the deep muffled riffing and high-pitched solos, though hugely modernised obviously.

The Handler - Like this a lot. The tune had a bit of a NIN feel at times.

JFK/Defector - Love this song, the slow but determined flow and almost stodgy rhythm of it married to the shrieking Queen-like harmonies. Bit of a head-banger at times. might be my fave.

Revolt - I agree with Mike Litoris about this one, it's very pop/boyband in feel. Seems a bit out of place.

Aftermath - Anyone else feel like they were listening to Dire Straits at the start of this song lol? There's definitely some Brothers in Arms vibes coming from Matt's guitar work. Still like it a lot, as a Muse slow song it works very well.

Globalist - They just can't stay away from those Western inspired intros, just like in Knights of Cydonia. Some twangy guitar, slide guitar, hushed drum roll, whistling. I was expecting to look out my window and see some tumbleweed blowing along. Song then goes a bit mad, then switches to piano and changes tempo totally. It feels like 3 disjointed songs (more so than a lot of their earlier efforts, which have very different sounding sections but still blend well) but still very listenable.

Drones - Interesting song, with the church choir type melodies totally at odds with the subject matter. Kept expecting it to get going but it never really took off.

Overall, the album is actually better than I expected. It's back to 'basics' for Muse, though basics in Muse terms is still over the top riffs, catchy hooks and all the other things we love about them. Oh, and the guitars really do sound brilliant throughout the album - production quality on a whole is excellent. A few weak points, but nonetheless polished throughout and the majority of the songs work well in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bencfc69

Globalist - They just can't stay away from those Western inspired intros, just like in Knights of Cydonia. Some twangy guitar, slide guitar, hushed drum roll, whistling. I was expecting to look out my window and see some tumbleweed blowing along. Song then goes a bit mad, then switches to piano and changes tempo totally. It feels like 3 disjointed songs (more so than a lot of their earlier efforts, which have very different sounding sections but still blend well) but still very listenable.

I keep thinking the beginning of The Globalist sounds like it should be in Kill Bill or Django Unchained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

What happened Muse? Their last album was atrocious but this one is just unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Been listening to the new album quite a bit since release. Some serious trash but overall improvment on The 2nd Law I think. Reapers and The Handler are the redeeming tracks for me.

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the lack of piano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Devia wrote: »
    Been listening to the new album quite a bit since release. Some serious trash but overall improvment on The 2nd Law I think. Reapers and The Handler are the redeeming tracks for me.

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the lack of piano?

I was, synths seem to be taking most of the duvet these days.

I hated this album at forst- even moreso than 2nd Law but it's actually grown on me ten fold. The only song I can say I really dislike is Revolt, but there's always one or two on each album that I dislike (apart from Origin).

I've just come to terms with the fact that, much like Queen, Muse will throw out some belters and some equally horrific numbers on an album. Thought that Dead Inside was a desperate choice for opening song but kinda ties nicely with leaving behind the sound of the 2nd Law.

Looking forward to their next gig and losing my mind during Reapers.

Anyone else hoping to CHRIST that when they start doing arenas/stadiums that they don't do a concept tour that ends with Chris and Dom mourning the death of Matt by a Drone while "Drones" plays over the sound system a la the Pieta by Michaelangelo?....

They didn't have much Piano on this one at all, true - just a bit at end of Globalist I think?

I've been listening to the album heavily for the last week or so and still haven't differed much from my original opinions posted above. Globalist has grown on me a lot, and Defector is still the best song on the album for me - but then I've been a closet Queen fan for years, so a bit of heavy guitar and falsetto always works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

but then I've been a closet Queen fan for years

Why in the closet. Come out man, its awesome! :D

lol, well not that much of a closet fan I guess, just not shouting it from the rooftops :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The Globalist is even more pretentious and cringey than Exogenisis

I didn't think that was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

Muse have comprehensively shat themselves in the last two years, growing lazy and unmotivated, sticking to broad-stroke art and billboard statements. Disgusting how it all turned out in the end, a band that could have led the way for more progressive rock in the mainstream get a whiff of soundtrack royalties and throw in the towel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Muse have comprehensively shat themselves in the last two years, growing lazy and unmotivated, sticking to broad-stroke art and billboard statements. Disgusting how it all turned out in the end, a band that could have led the way for more progressive rock in the mainstream get a whiff of soundtrack royalties and throw in the towel.

That's a bit harsh

Psycho, Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler, Defector and Aftermath is up there with the best tracks on their classic first 4 albums

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

That's a bit harsh

Psycho, Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler, Defector and Aftermath is up there with the best tracks on their classic first 4 albums

A shadow of the band they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭Nom De Guerre

Any word on an Irish date?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

Still nothing on ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

I love Muse too, Matthew is my religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Looks like tour announcement tomorrow morning. They're playing live on BBC LiveLounge and have a 'special announcement'.

5th April, 3 Arena. Sound.

• Advertisement

Funny I only started coming around to this song yesterday morning. Still finding the 2nd half of Drones fair weaker.

5th April, 3 Arena. Sound.

Just came back from holidays...Feckin sold out. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Robot

Just came back from holidays...Feckin sold out. :(

Im sure youll pick one up outside

Mr Robot wrote: »
    Im sure youll pick one up outside

What price do the touts sell them for? I noticed on ticketmaster they have a section where they "resell" tickets but they're nearly double the original price. I go to gigs once in a blue moon so haven't got a clue about all this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Robot

What price do the touts sell them for? I noticed on ticketmaster they have a section where they "resell" tickets but they're nearly double the original price. I go to gigs once in a blue moon so haven't got a clue about all this.

You should get one for no more than 100 quid - maybe a 30/40 quid mark up

depends if youre sitting or standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Some will definitely pop up on toutless nearer the date. Just keep an eye out.

Anyone have a look at the Drones tour set/setlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yes and fans are pissed. Half the songs are playback things like Isolated System , JFK etc... and Matt is using his guitar much less. Reddit thread on the first night of the tour. Glad I didnt get tickets tbh https://www.reddit.com/r/Muse/comments/3t7v4f/17_november_2015_mexico_city_mexico_night_1_live/

miralize wrote: »
    Yes and fans are pissed. Half the songs are playback things like Isolated System , JFK etc... and Matt is using his guitar much less. Reddit thread on the first night of the tour. Glad I didnt get tickets tbh https://www.reddit.com/r/Muse/comments/3t7v4f/17_november_2015_mexico_city_mexico_night_1_live/

Jesus.... Hadn't seen any of this now. Matt Mercury ? Freddie ditched the piano for most songs after The Game tour I suppose

• Advertisement

Thats pretty shítty. Revolt and no Defector...wtf! Apocalypse Please is the only non standard outside of the new songs. Hmmmm :(

The biggest shocker is Morgan on guitar for Uprising. Matts quest to be Bono is getting closer and closer. :mad:

I also ended up getting a ticket.

Advertisement