Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New online broker entrant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They look very cheap, and their website shows no minimum balance and a broad market of assets to invest in.

Will keep an eye on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

The Irish will buy the market top:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

http://www.degiro.ie

Heard them on Newstalk Business Breakfast this morning.

The fees are very, very low in comparison to the Irish based brokers. So it begs the question; What's the catch? or is there one?

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    http://www.degiro.ie

Heard them on Newstalk Business Breakfast this morning.

The fees are very, very low in comparison to the Irish based brokers. So it begs the question; What's the catch? or is there one?

Irish brokers have been a rip off for years probably the most expensive out there. This does look good but I cant say I know much about them

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Wow thanks for posting this, sounds too good to be true but these guys could actually make euro cost averaging very affordable.

• Advertisement

This is like Ryanair taking on Aer Lingus, when it costs hundreds to fly to London from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭daheff

are there any account maintenance fees? or minimum trading? etc?

daheff wrote: »
    are there any account maintenance fees? or minimum trading? etc?

No, from what I can see.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/IE_Feeschedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

RobertKK wrote: »
    This is like Ryanair taking on Aer Lingus, when it costs hundreds to fly to London from Dublin.

It still cost hundreds to fly to London with Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

Tugboats wrote: »
    Irish brokers have been a rip off for years probably the most expensive out there. This does look good but I cant say I know much about them

Not everyone buys at the bottom of the barrel, buying on price only isn't the only criteria.

• Advertisement

Not everyone buys at the bottom of the barrel, buying on price only isn't the only criteria.

What are the benefits/advantages of using the top of barrel Irish brokers?

RobertKK wrote: »

Sent them a quick email about this, they wrote back saying there are no maintenance or quaterly fees but there is an annual E2.50 charge on every exchange you trade in, sounds good to me but I'll still read up on them a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭daheff

Sent them a quick email about this, they wrote back saying there are no maintenance or quaterly fees but there is an annual E2.50 charge on every exchange you trade in, sounds good to me but I'll still read up on them a bit more.

2.50- per exchange seems like a very random fee??

I could understand a per account fee...but per exchange traded? AFAIK they dont have a per client fee with the exchanges, so this would be very much a 'ryanair baggage' fee in my eyes.

Having said that...they are still all lot cheaper than others out there

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Is that E2.50 each time you trade on the exchange e.g. say I only trade on Euronext Amsterdam but do so once a month (euro cost averaging)....is the annual exchange charge E2.5 or 12 x E2.50 = E30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Not too good a review here.

its a tad old though.

http://www.amsterdamtrader.com/2014/10/9-things-i-hate-about-degiro.html

Tugboats wrote: »
    What are the benefits/advantages of using the top of barrel Irish brokers?

DYOR :P

Is that E2.50 each time you trade on the exchange e.g. say I only trade on Euronext Amsterdam but do so once a month (euro cost averaging)....is the annual exchange charge E2.5 or 12 x E2.50 = E30?

Well the wording they used would have you think e.g. if you traded on one exchange all year you'd be charged E2.50 but I'll send them another quick email just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Anyone using them yet? Is the trading platform user friendly? Can you easily track your investments etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Seems promising, will keep an eye on it.

Signed up yesterday and transferred in some cash. Account isnt fully activated yet, as cash hasnt hit it yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Signed up yesterday and transferred in some cash. Account isnt fully activated yet, as cash hasnt hit it yet

Let us know how it goes!

Cool well they got back to me anyway and said the E2.50 charge is a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wallym

Hi Guys, Looking for a an online broker that covers US and European shares and etf's - Noticed your discussion about Degiro and did a quick search for reviews ...google amsterdametrader degiro and see what he hates about them.

Would post the link but I'm not allowed :-(
    Anyone have experience of TD Direct Investing?

Cheers,
    Wally...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

That link has already been posted in this thread Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Very low charges. I'm thinking of opening an account here as my brokers fees are quite a bit higher.

Any feedback on them yet? Are they legit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Some bloggers have mentioned that Degiro lends out customer's stocks. One blogger mentioned that the customer is not protected if it goes belly up. is this correct or out of date? Are these risks substantial or are they very unlikely events?

robp wrote: »
    Some bloggers have mentioned that Degiro lends out customer's stocks. One blogger mentioned that the customer is not protected if it goes belly up. is this correct or out of date? Are these risks substantial or are they very unlikely events?

https://www.degiro.ie/about-degiro/safe-and-reliable.html

When creating account, you can specify you dont want them to lend out stocks to 3rd party - there are two types of account. A lending out one and a non-lending one. Both have slightly different fees (read, slightly higher for non-lending).

Bought first ETF yesterday, going grand so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

https://www.degiro.ie/about-degiro/safe-and-reliable.html

When creating account, you can specify you dont want them to lend out stocks to 3rd party - there are two types of account. A lending out one and a non-lending one. Both have slightly different fees (read, slightly higher for non-lending).

Bought first ETF yesterday, going grand so far.

Yeah I'd heard something about the lending which I didn't like the idea of so nice to know there's a non lending version.

So yeah i'll set up an account then when I get a chance later on hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TheFin

Best fees I've seen so far. Theyre advertising on CNBC also (Sky channel 505)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blue Steel

Good enough to invest lots of money with them?

Advertisement