Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New online broker entrant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

JoeyD wrote: »
    There is no price info quoted so you have to use something like google finance to get an idea of where it is (when the market is open). I just realised this..

So you'll need to be up between the hours of 1am and 7am to make the trades here in Ireland - take a price from google finance as your limit price although it is 20mins delayed so it won't start showing prices until around 1.20am

If your order doesn't get filled try increasing your limit order slightly as the price will have moved during the 20min delay...and with lithium it's probably gone up :pac:

Thanks, I had an idea of the price and I have an order in. I will also be up for 6 so I can revise it in the morning if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Right lads, complete nooooooob here. Considering making a move on some shares. If i transfer a sum into Degiro and get cold feet can I just transfer it back out?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

dashoonage wrote: »
    Right lads, complete nooooooob here. Considering making a move on some shares. If i transfer a sum into Degiro and get cold feet can I just transfer it back out?

Of course

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Degiro now offering €20 freee credit when you sign up... as good as time as any if you have not joined yet

Zascar wrote: »
    Degiro now offering €20 freee credit when you sign up... as good as time as any if you have not joined yet

A mod using an affiliate link....naughty naughty :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

MOD Note: Link has been altered and now directs straight to broker site

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Looking at the fee schedule, I see that Ireland is the only European exchange which isn't offered a €60 fee cap on transactions by Degiro:

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/IE_Feeschedule.pdf

0.04% without a cap could actually prove fairly hefty. Seems like we are getting slightly shafted here! I wonder why Ireland is singled out like this.

There is no facility (that I can find) in my account to view transaction charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

.04% of E100,000 is only E40 quid! Hardly hefty.....

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

.04% of E100,000 is only E40 quid! Hardly hefty.....

Yeah I saw that. My mistake.

I've had a few error messages when making a purchase. "Order worst case execution value (including estimated fee) is x and spending limit is x."
    ...when I've clearly had a 50 or 60 quid gap to play with yet the order cannot be processed. Was wondering if I'm doing something wrong... :-(

You'll pay stamp duty on Irish shares also - you may not have a sufficient balance to do the order and incur the related costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Kenya1234

DO I pay fees when both buying and selling shares? or is it just when buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know the amount invested shouldn't matter, if a broker is good they're good....but would you use Degiro if buying €20k plus of shares?
    I presume the answer should be yes but just wanted opinions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Kenya1234 wrote: »
    DO I pay fees when both buying and selling shares? or is it just when buying?

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

most likely a daft question but ill ask anyway

Ive started recently using degiro. Ive notice for my first few trade I have been charged Irish stamp duty. AFAIK if the purchase of shares is for less then €1,000 stamp duty does not apply.

Drop them an email and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have a couple of funds with Rabo. Does Degiro have similar funds? Is there a list anywhere? I cant seem to find a list on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have a couple of funds with Rabo. Does Degiro have similar funds? Is there a list anywhere? I cant seem to find a list on their website.

This is a list of commission-free ETFs that DeGiro offer. There's a few terms & conditions with it (available on their website) but nothing nasty like Rabo's entrance and exit fees:

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kenya1234

Anyone know how much transaction fees would be to buy DUST ETF?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Kenya1234 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much transaction fees would be to buy DUST ETF?
    A word of caution:-
    DUST is an extremely aggressive inverse play“the market for DUST is extremely active” on perhaps the most widely followed gold mining index—the NYSE Arca Gold Miners Index—and the widely held ETF that tracks it: GDX.
    The index tracks about 30 firms engaged in the precious metals mining industry globally, with a strong bias to large gold and silver mining firms. DUST promises to provide inverse exposure to these firms with a leverage factor of 3 on a daily basis.
    The last point is important, because investors trying to make a long-term bet against gold mining shares can only use DUST to do so if they are willing to frequently adjust their position in the fund.
    The good news is the market for DUST is extremely active, as evidenced by the fact that it trades in large volumes each day, although spreads can be significant. Its expense ratio is high, to be sure, but most traders won't hold the fund for long enough for those costs to be a major factor.
    Source:- ETF.com

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

I just opened an account with them a couple of weeks ago but I haven't used the broker yet.

Anyone knows where I can find the difference between basic account (mine at the moment), Active account and Trader account?

I could only find the differences between custody and standard profile but unsure if it is the same.

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-account/909

On the other hand, at first look, I find the charts and lay out very basic (even though on the website they say they have the best technology and best broker, I suppose it just does the basic (buying and selling). Not good enough for technical trading. Good price anyway, specially compared to the rip off from other brokers or banks in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

JoeCat wrote: »
    I just opened an account with them a couple of weeks ago but I haven't used the broker yet.

Anyone knows where I can find the difference between basic account (mine at the moment), Active account and Trader account?

I could only find the differences between custody and standard profile but unsure if it is the same.

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-account/909

On the other hand, at first look, I find the charts and lay out very basic (even though on the website they say they have the best technology and best broker, I suppose it just does the basic (buying and selling). Not good enough for technical trading. Good price anyway, specially compared to the rip off from other brokers or banks in Ireland.

They are execution only, so does basic thing at very good price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Custody vs Non-custody account; What are the pros & cons of each?

As a normal person looking to invest a small amount, which should I choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Squozen

Naos wrote: »
    Custody vs Non-custody account; What are the pros & cons of each?

As a normal person looking to invest a small amount, which should I choose?

From their site:

"With a Custody profile the securities are held separately and are unable to be loaned out to third parties.

This profile has a number of other differences compared to regular account types, derivatives are not able to be traded, real time prices are not available for the Euronext exchanges and a different fee is applied for the profile. However you are still able to profit from low fees and save money through trading with DEGIRO."

Custody is 'safer', but both are probably fine for a normal trader. Real-time prices are the best reason for you to choose non-custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Hello, I can't see how I add a company to my 'favourites'. Can someone enlighten me, I'd be grateful, thanks ( looking at Botswana Diamonds on LSE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

When you click into a stock, look at the stock name on the left. You'll see green B and red S. Next to it you'll see a star to add to favourites.

Hi - another noob question. I placed a buy limit order @ €5.67 this morning. As far as I can see the lowest this particular share price went today was €5.69 but in my portfolio tab it shows me as having bought the shares?

What is the stock and exchange? Is the exchange data real time or delayed?

In the same area I mentioned above, at the end of the row might be a number in a blue square. For example your Botswana Diamonds stock on the LSE which is 15 minutes delayed, so you'll see "15". if you hover over the square, it gives more information.

It's Dalata on the Irish Exchange. The blue square says it's real time.

(Thanks for taking the time to respond by the way - I appreciate it)

No problem. it's showing as low of 5.65 now so probably just a delay in the data updating.
    It's Dalata on the Irish Exchange. The blue square says it's real time.

(Thanks for taking the time to respond by the way - I appreciate it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've shares which were bought a good few years ago, is it possible to bring them over onto degiro to appear in my portfolio?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement