Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

TIME FLIES? - YOU CANNOT! - THEY GO TOO FAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

garancafan wrote: »
    TIME FLIES? - YOU CANNOT! - THEY GO TOO FAST!

Excellent! Off you go with your question.

All right then. Taking a cue from the last question (excellent question btw):
    Which composers were most closely associated with the Savoy Operas?

Which composers were most closely associated with the Savoy Operas?

Hmmm, I saw "opera" and thought "oh well, it's leaba time for BrensBenz". But, as I tucked the woof into his leaba, I thought "Savoy?" opera. "That's not shoutie shoutie opera for obese people. That's the listen-to-able stuff that my grannie used to play. Her favourites were Gilbert and Sullivan so, final answer: Gilbert and Sullivan.

Spot on. You are the very model of a modern major-general.

Over to you.

• Advertisement

The membership of the Masons, Ku Klux Klan, etc. is usually secret but, using a freedom of information request, I learned the identity of two members of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo. Without peeking, can you name them? Of course, we don't want to endanger these people by "outing" them so.......use spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wot eez zees Vater Buffalo (you have me at it now) of which you speak?

Edit: cheated, oh right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Without peeking I'm going to say Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble! :)

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Hmmm, I saw "opera" and thought "oh well, it's leaba time for BrensBenz". But, as I tucked the woof into his leaba, I thought "Savoy?" opera. "That's not shoutie shoutie opera for obese people. That's the listen-to-able stuff that my grannie used to play. Her favourites were Gilbert and Sullivan so, final answer: Gilbert and Sullivan.

By obese people do you mean the audience or the performers (like these)? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The membership of the Masons, Ku Klux Klan, etc. is usually secret but, using a freedom of information request, I learned the identity of two members of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo. Without peeking, can you name them? Of course, we don't want to endanger these people by "outing" them so.......use spoilers.

I can tell you one member of the "Buffs"... Yes tis yours truly Moi!

I joined the Buffs in 1999. Not really a secret organisation though, just an excuse to raise money for charity (and have a few drinkypoos with like minded folks ... and a bloody good laugh too.)

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Without peeking I'm going to say Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble! :)

Correct! Mr. Flintstone and Mr. Rubble are honourary members of the Bedrock Chapter of Water Buffalo.

So, hit us with a question. I'm braced.

Steady on.......(loved the Flintstones by the way)hmmmm...lemme tink fer a minute!

OK, here goes, probably too easy for you clever people. There are some very talented people in the world, but a lot of 'em have something in common. So without peeking, and a wild guess will probably do, what do Jennifer Anniston, Whoopi Goldberg, Jamie Oliver, William Butler Yeates, and Oliver Reed have in common?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Iiii am gonna make a guess that they all use noms de plume. Or don't use their original name as a public face, or however it's phrased.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    OK, here goes, probably too easy for you clever people. There are some very talented people in the world, but a lot of 'em have something in common. So without peeking, and a wild guess will probably do, what do Jennifer Anniston, Whoopi Goldberg, Jamie Oliver, William Butler Yeates, and Oliver Reed have in common?

First thought, when I was just halfway through the list of names, was that they have all allowed details of their soap opera ailments / fears / phobias to be carefully leaked to the meeja in an effort to maintain their celebriddy status.

However, W.B. Yeats and Oliver Reed had more than enough real talent not to have to resort to Max Clifford-type tactics.

As for the rest: someone famous for having a talented hairdresser; an unfunny comedienne and a cooking obnox. Hmmmm....Nope. I'm out.

(Was Oliver Reed allergic to water in his whiskey? Ohhh, no. That was WC Fields.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Would they all be left handed?

Samaris wrote: »
    Iiii am gonna make a guess that they all use noms de plume. Or don't use their original name as a public face, or however it's phrased.

Nope! Well, at least Jamie uses his real name, dunno about the rest.

Layinghen wrote: »
    Would they all be left handed?

Trust you to put a spanner in the works Hen, I haven't a clue if they were all left-handed or not. That's not what I'm looking for though. Keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They all wrote poetry, or at least one wrote poetry and the others wrote pomes.

looksee wrote: »
    They all wrote poetry, or at least one wrote poetry and the others wrote pomes.

I suppose Jamie might have written an ode or two to one of his oily creations, but no, that's not it either. On, on, on.

• Advertisement

........I can hear wheels and cogs turning...

First thought, when I was just halfway through the list of names, was that they have all allowed details of their soap opera ailments / fears / phobias to be carefully leaked -

By any chance do they all share a specific ailment?

Edit: Are we allowed more than one guess?

Go for it Samaris!

Come on, Samaris. I think we're getting close!
    Here's a few "allergies" that I've actually (yes, really) heard. And not from celebriddy airhead TV shows. Well, mostly from people who "think" they should be on celebriddy airhead TV shows:

Spiders? (Not really original enough.)
    Spanish Euro coins? (Obviously not applicable to W.B. Yeats.)
    Aeroplanes with less than four engines?
    Dogs with spikes on their collars?
    Lemon curd?
    Ship's compass?
    Adhesive on the back of stamps?
    Taking batteries out of appliances?
    Sitting in the back seat of cars?
    Chicken?

How about "they all have a phobia of marzipan?"

So, JellyBaby1, on a scale of 1 - 10, how warm are we?

Spiders? (Not really original enough.)
    Spanish Euro coins? (Obviously not applicable to W.B. Yeats.)
    Aeroplanes with less than four engines?
    Dogs with spikes on their collars?
    Lemon curd?
    Ship's compass?
    Adhesive on the back of stamps?
    Taking batteries out of appliances?
    Sitting in the back seat of cars?
    Chicken?

Some of those are amazing. I wonder what the technical term for an allergy to two-engined planes is? :D

Hm, so it's something that both genders can have, so that cuts out a certain amount of..well, anything pregnancy-related. I'm coming down to speech impediment at some point in their lives, or dyslexia.

I wonder what the technical term for an allergy to two-engined planes is? :D

Dunno but there is a cure which even non-qualified people can administer. You grab the eegit poor unfortunate victim by the lapels and give them a good shake. In fact, this will work with pretty much all of that list.

Speech impediment has possibilities though:
    Anniston talks through her nose but then all Yank women do;
    Jamie Oliver can't talk but that has been obligatory on the BBC for decades;
    Oliver Reed slurred but we know why. Did he have a stammer in his youth?;
    Whoopie Goldberg's grammar is appalling but that too is obligatory among American black folks.

I thought maybe a fear of flying but W.B.Yeats would have been flying before a fear of flying became trendy. But....Hmmm....Didn't he write a poem, from the point of view of a pilot about to die?

I know that I shall meet my fate
    Somewhere among the clouds above.....

OK. Best guess: They all have or had a fear of flying.....when a fear of crashing would make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hmmmmm, I'm leaning towards dyslexia........

YES!! They were all dyslexic! Samaris mentioned dyslexia before Layinghen did. So Sam, your turn I believe.

(now wasn't that entertaining?)

How about "bimotoaviophobia". I looked it up and it doesn't exist. So I hereby invent it.

• Advertisement

How about "bimotoaviophobia". I looked it up and it doesn't exist. So I hereby invent it.

Very good, but three-engined planes were also included. So, most McDonnell Douglas and some Boeings (early 727's) are no-nos too. Perhaps "minusquattuoraviophobia" to cover single, twin and tri-engined aircraft?

PS: Aren't phobias usually expressed in Greek? Although people were still speaking Latin when I was a chiseller, I wasn't allowed to play with the Greek boys so I never learned Greek.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement