Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

garancafan wrote: »
    Ok then:-

To what did Dionysius and Mary O'Brien change their names?

Didn't Mary O'Brien become Dusty Springfield?
    As for Dionysius, which one? Although, if named Dionysius, I can sympathise with anyone's desire to change it to......anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol, looked it up, never in a million etc. I was wrong about knowing the reference too (I thought it was something to do with James Joyce's writings). Nope!

When its my turn (if ever at this rate :eek:) I shall ask questions about antirrhinums and mesembryanthemums and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Didn't Mary O'Brien become Dusty Springfield?
    As for Dionysius, which one? Although, if named Dionysius, I can sympathise with anyone's desire to change it to......anything!

Agreed. Dionysius, not surprisingly, grew up as Dion. Tomboy Mary, as a consequence of kicking footballs around the backstreets of High Wycombe, grew up as Dusty. The surname was engineered later.

The answer then, formally, was Tom and Dusty Springfield.

Your serve BrensBenz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Now I do know a little about mesembryanthemums as I grew them years ago. Lovely ickle daisy types open and smile when the sun shines! :) Oops Looksee, you can't ask that question now!

garancafan wrote: »
    Agreed. Dionysius, not surprisingly, grew up as Dion. Tomboy Mary, as a consequence of kicking footballs around the backstreets of High Wycombe, grew up as Dusty. The surname was engineered later.

The answer then, formally, was Tom and Dusty Springfield.

Your serve BrensBenz.

Well, I was only half right - no idea that Tom Springfield had been dealt such a cruel blow by his parents.

I note the subliminal suggestions to set a question about gardening but.....tough luck! I inherited and proudly cherish the belief that "one hour spent gardening is two hours wasted."

OK, something fairly well-known but still interesting:
    What building material was used by the ancient Romans, without which many of their more ambitious projects, including underwater, would not have been possible?

• Advertisement

Concrete

looksee wrote: »
    Concrete

Wow! Howja no dah? Any idea why it was forgotten until the 1800's?

So, let's have a gardening question.

Dunno, it was just in the back of my head from somewhere, no idea why it was forgotten - the Romans introduced all sorts of brilliant ideas for comfortable living which were promptly forgotten when the empire fizzled out.

Ok back to my original (snarky) remark, what is the common name for antirrhinums?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Is it snapdragons? BTW the Pantheon in Rome has a domed roof made from concrete.

You are correct Bonzodog2! Your turn...

• Advertisement

OK. What was the character name of the sidekick/costar of Napoleon Solo in "The Man From Uncle"

Ilya Kuraykin (did I spell that right?)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Ilya Kuraykin (did I spell that right?)

I think it was Kuryakin, but well done. I've just been watching Danger Man; I seem to remember family arguments about whether to watch DM or TMFI, as they clashed. Off ya go JB.

Just saw David McCallum on TV the other night so didn't have to think too long about that one. Here's another easy one...

In what year did the Eurovision Song Contest begin? Its the kind of one you might even guess right. No peeking now.

1956? Didn't peek!

Just saw David McCallum on TV the other night so didn't have to think too long about that one. Here's another easy one...

Oh...confession time...I lurrrved David McCallum in Man from Uncle...sometime in the mid sixties :D

1974 (random number)

bonzodog2 is correct! Looksee was just flailing away in the air. :rolleyes: Go to it bonzo!

bonzodog2 is correct! Looksee was just flailing away in the air. :rolleyes: Go to it bonzo!

I do a lot of that!

Darn, gotta think of a question now!
    OK, on a related note, what was the song from the Eurovision mentioned in the Communist Quiz sketch in Monty Python?
    And the EV contestants.

• Advertisement

Dunno that. Hmmm, might ask himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sing Little Birdy from Chairman Mao?

(Used to be a Monty Python fanatic

Rubecula wrote: »
    Sing Little Birdy from Chairman Mao?

(Used to be a Monty Python fanatic

Very good on spotting Mao!

It was a bit tricky, sorry for the easy quiz. The EV contestants were Pearl Johnson and Teddy Carr I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Yes I forgot to mention Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson who represented UK that year

Anyway who was the actor who played Darth Vadar in the first Star Wars film to be released. (Episode IV a New Beginning) ??

Not a clue, but my mate has a photo of him and himself at a SW convention. My housemate would know but he's out.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Yes I forgot to mention Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson who represented UK that year

Anyway who was the actor who played Darth Vadar in the first Star Wars film to be released. (Episode IV a New Beginning) ??

Mr. Green Cross Code David Prowse, although his voice wasn't used. I think Mr. Prowse had an oooh-arrr accent which might have caused some difficulties in hyper space.

PS: This could be completely wrong because I didn't bother after the original Star Wars fillum.

Anyway, apologies for jumping the gun but...................for my 1000th post:

What was the name of the little Italian, foam-rubber mouse who, with the Tiller Girls, graced "Sunday Night at the London Palladium in the 1960's?

I remember Sunday Night at the London Palladium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwK1QTv8g8s and the Tiller Girls, but I don't recall any mouse?

Edit: I got side tracked here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki9e_LUZ8dY the Tilller Girls, Adam Faith and the circling stage that everyone stood on at the end!

Ohh, and yay! for the 1000th post Brens! :D

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    What was the name of the little Italian, foam-rubber mouse who, with the Tiller Girls, graced "Sunday Night at the London Palladium in the 1960's?

Well, it looks as if this is something you either know or don't know. Open the link below and marvel at a really clever piece of puppetry. No CGI; no camera tricks (well, other than total black backgrounds); no strings; no hand up jumpers, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I58YeFApfF0

I'm loike sooooo todally disappointed with the standard of knowledge here about 1960's puppets. Of course, yizzall know about the Flowerpot Men because they are fixtures on nostalgia shows but, Janey Mac, some of yiz didn't know anything about Torchy Torchy the Battery Boy!!!!!!

OK, try this:

It seems that most "oldie worldie" pubs and restaurants have to have some small window panes with circular "swirls", like ripples in a pond. What was the original reason for these swirls?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement