Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

The hewidge ting is called Olympus Mons.

Right, still in the heavens, there are 12 (slightly incomplete) cameras on the surface of the Moon, all made by which camera maker?
    Bonus points if you know which parts are missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I can't think of the name but its a make no ordinary person can afford, ugly name and sounds foreign but not Japanese. Sorry the name won't come to me. I refuse to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Rubecula wrote: »
    OK Easy one.

Where is the biggest volcono we know of?

I'm still trying to figure out what a "volcono" is.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hasselblad cameras. (ex mod of photography here).
    I imagine they don't work anymore because they have no film in them. I didn't realise any were left there but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Dead weight for the return trip when all you need to to bring the film.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

garancafan wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out what a "volcono" is.:(

Its an erupting Italian icecream (with raspberry sauce dribbling down the sides).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

looksee wrote: »
    Its an erupting Italian icecream (with raspberry sauce dribbling down the sides).

now I want an icecream :(

BrensBenz wrote: »
    The hewidge ting is called Olympus Mons.

Right, still in the heavens, there are 12 (slightly incomplete) cameras on the surface of the Moon, all made by which camera maker?
    Bonus points if you know which parts are missing.

The only Hasselblads that I have encountered were twin lens reflex. The missing parts are, I presume, the reflex lenses and view-finders.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Hasselblad cameras. (ex mod of photography here).
    I imagine they don't work anymore because they have no film in them. I didn't realise any were left there but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Dead weight for the return trip when all you need to to bring the film.
    The only Hasselblads that I have encountered were twin lens reflex. The missing parts are, I presume, the reflex lenses and view-finders.

OldGoat is correct with "Hasselblad" and can set the next question, please.

However, it seems that much confusion reigns over the missing parts! Normally, Hasselblad cameras consist of a single, (not twin) detachable 80mm lens, a body (including viewfinder) and a detachable, light-tight film magazine. The moon flights carried 80mm and 250mm lenses and a few, loaded film magazines.

In my limited experience, the safest place to keep exposed film when returning from the Moon's surface is in a Hasselblad film magazine so the exposed film was flown home in the magazines. The camera bodies and lenses are still there - the equivalent weight in moon rocks was carried back to Earth.

Given Hasselblad's reliability and because (as far as I know) 1960's Hasselblads didn't rely on battery power, I wouldn't be surprised if, with new film magazines attached, those cameras worked first time. Unless, of course, they've been stolen by those pesky Klingons.

Collective nouns. What is the collective for Ravens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

An unkindness of Ravens.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Collective nouns. What is the collective for Ravens?

Trick question, methinks! Many boids have more than one collective noun and I think ravens have at least two. I would have said "conspiracy" but "unkindness" sounds good too. Other than having a suspicion that others exist, I can't recall what it or they are.

(The black raven is a popular mascot around NCD so this question is a regular here.)

It was "Unkindness" that I had in mind. Over too you Layinghen. :)

...In my limited experience, the safest place to keep exposed film when returning from the Moon's surface is in a Hasselblad film magazine...

How often have you been?:)

How many toes does a dog have?

Layinghen wrote: »
    How many toes does a dog have?

Four on each paw, each with a claw but.........methinks another trick question as some breeds, including some Mountain Dog breeds have a "double dewclaw" on their hind legs. My Bernese Mountain dog had this and I thought he was deformed!

Other breeds have webbed feet, e.g. the magnificent Newfoundlander (Newfie) so counting their toes is difficult.

Correct and right..... 18 in total.

OK.

What have The Beatles and Ena Sharples (late of Coronation Street) got in common?

How often have you been?:)

Oh, once you've been, you'll keep going back. Last time for me was in September 2013 when the nurses gave me a few doses of post-op diamorphine which removed the need for a vehicle, booster rockets, retro rockets, launch pad, fuel, space suit, gyroscopes, heat shield, etc., etc. In fact, no equipment whatsoever was required for my six-day holiday on the moon.

The dosages of diamorphine had been mistakenly calculated on the weight of a much larger man! Unfortunately, I never did find out why Mike Mercury and Steve Zodiac were there at the same time as I was.

OK.

What have The Beatles and Ena Sharples (late of Coronation Street) got in common?

Well, what "article" have The Beatles and Ena Sharples (late of Coronation Street) got in common?

Is it something to do with hair nets?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Is it something to do with hair nets?

No. It appeared both in Ena Sharples's living room in Coronation Street and on a Beatles double A side of 1965.

This may be more myth than fact - I've wondered about HOW it might have happened - but it has been repeated so often that it's now regarded as fact.

Flying ducks on the wall? Oh wait, that was Hilda Ogden. Sorry, don't know.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Lol, that was my first thought!

Ok i cheated. Would never have got it. As to how, easy, Granada studios, just nip down the corridor!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

.....on the wall???? Surely one means "on the murial", doesn't one?

No. The Beatles had little use for delph ducks but this "thing" was particularly useful for the Dsus4 chords in "We Can Work....." whhoooopppps, too much information.

Hint: Mrs. Sharples performed several duties in t'mission, including operating this "thing" for t'bretheren.

Has to be the harmonium.

Has to be the harmonium.

Phew. Perfecto!

Now, your turn.

Ok then:-

To what did Dionysius and Mary O'Brien change their names?

There is some very obscure knowledge out there...though I think I know the reference even if I don't know the answer.

• Advertisement

Ha Ha, just looked it up. I would never have guessed that in a million years. Had I asked himself, he probably would have got Mary O'Brien though. There is a rule, isn't there, that if you look it up, you have cheated, and therefore are disqualified. I hereby disqualify myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement