Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 5 x 09: The Dance of Dragons - HAVE READ the books

Options
  • 08-06-2015 3:42am

I never thought that someone would make me wish for a Bolton victory in the upcoming war at Winterfell; Stannis Baratheon, take a bow.

That's all I have for now, gotta go and pick my jaw up off the floor here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Great episode to follow up on last week's success. Looks like they saved a bit of the budget to do the fighting pits well after the hard home battle scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Just as good as the previous episode....

The Stannis/Shireen bit blew me away.... I literally felt sick watching it...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Never trust a grammar nazi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well that was quite a difference to the book; esp. as I thought the mother if anyone would be cheering it on (seeing how hardcore she's been on the subject previously or at least offer herself instead). The fighting pits was honestly silly; so no one noticed them carrying in those masks and all the weapons? Seriously?! Once again the unsullied are shown as chump warriors who go down like your common recruit as well rather then account for themselves...

I'd not rate it as good as the previous episode but it's definitely setting things up for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm not sure how realistic flying out of an amphitheatre on a dragon could ever ever look, but that CG at the end looked really bad to me! Like something out of Xena.

And Shireeen? Shireen? Jesus I'm depressed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Ok so I said last week that they'd kill Stannis this week. They done worse, they destroyed the actual character. This is the Stannis that ate rats and leather from his shoes during a siege. Who holds honor and duty above everything else. The show instead made him out to be a weakling that burnt his daughter so he could get a ****ing steak sandwich..... I am really gutted by it as he was my favorite characters.... Like people have said you'd almost want the Bolton's to succeed now.... The only thing I'd say is it does set it up for Jon possible being reincarnated & then taking over the forces in the North with Stannis probably being killed by Brienne? It would make sense because they did make it obvious his forces weren't happy, who else could lead them if Stannis dies? Between the burning and the scene in the brothel I can't help but think the show is looking for cheap shock moments while sacrificing good characters....

Dorne..... holy **** it's bad. Back to the world of Xena again this week. Hotah's axe looks like he bought it in Penny's Halloween section.

As for Meereen it was decent and I enjoyed Drogon's moment but the Unsullied are supposed to be these great warriors.... they were butchered by a bunch of slave masters for god sake. As for Dany flying off with Drogon.....

11400983_566547896816832_532444749819059053_n.jpg?oh=a6928b8774322d889b317d4d1cc60c0f&oe=55F1FE66

photo.php?fbid=566547896816832&set=p.566547896816832&type=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I thought it was a good follow up to last weeks episode. The seen with Shireen was quite disturbing even if I knew it was coming.

I cannot wait for next season now since they've caught up with the books.

Interesting that they killed Hizdahr zo Loraq. I assumed he was the one who had planted the locusts to kill Dany so thought that the Son's of The Harpy coming into the pits was his doing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Kunkka wrote:
    Ok so I said last week that they'd kill Stannis this week. They done worse, they destroyed the actual character.

This!! It made no sense and there was very little time given to his turnaround. "No, I'm not burning my daughter!! What? Twenty men burnt some tents ... Shireen!" It madee zero sense not to mention the effect it would have on morale of the men.

I thought that episode was utter ****. They cut out the Ironborn but they clearly struggled to find enough material for 10 episodes this season. They really dragged out the Arya stuff, will he recognise her, won't he? Look Lord Tyrell is singing, Oh did he recognise her? The fighting pits was boring; a look of acknowledgment and possibly respect between Jorah and Daario, a look between Jorah and Dany, don't forget Tyrion, and that's just before the action, I don't think I've seen so many people look at each other meaningfully while being attacked. The CGI was pretty poor on her flight, and Emilia Clarke looked bored. Dorne was as pointless as ever but how hilarious was it the that Trystrane's condition was an elbow in the face from Hotah? Yes, that was sarcasm. How come Dorne haven't heard about Cersei being arrested.

I watched it live last night and I'm still pretty cross, they should have called that episode "Filler, with dragons" cause that's all it was.

I am curious as to what Davos will do at the wall? Will he be there for the stabbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Very hard to compete with the superiority of Hardhome and it is a shame the energy and urgency wasnt maintained but i guess they have to save something for Ep10.

I though the actress playing Selyse (Tara Fitzgerald) was excellent this week for the first time ever. I really liked how her basic maternal instinct overcame her R'hollar brainwashing, she knew it was wrong. Shireens screams, jesus they were haunting and even more haunting when the screaming stopped. It's disappointing what they are trying to do with Stannis after some great character development from last years seasons finale, to his heart to heart with Shireen earlier this season. He transitioned from a dark cold miserable King to Stannis The Mannis! Now he's fallen back further as a desperate nutjob, which is disappointing. I think the writers have really placed him now as a weak individual and are almost trying to justify his downfall by Brienne or Roose (and I'll add Davos to that list now too). The burning of Shireen was a powerful scene nonetheless.

So Meryn Trant is not only a murderous cúnt he is now also a Pedo, just in case we needed further justification for Arya to slice him up. Fair enough. Loved how cringey Mace Tyrell is, even Tyco couldn't keep a straight face infront of him. I like that, bit of humour.

Dorne: Who fúcking cares.

Meereen: I enjoyed this scene despite some questionable CGI near the end but still, it can not be cheap to put an actress flying on a dragon that isn't there, in a stadium full of people that aren't there. There was an excellent feeling of danger through the scene. The verbal sparring between Hisdar, Dario and The Imp were more entertaining than what was happening in the Pit. Jorahs fight dragged a bit but the spear throw was epic. Thought he was going for Hisdar. Chaos descended very quickly. I was hoping she would just burn the city to the ground. Interesting to see how they will tie off the story-lines there next week. I predict Dario will get barbecued releasing Vicerion and Rhagal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

They've telegraphed Olly so much in the past few episodes that the stabbing is hardly going to come as a shock now.

It will either be the season cliff hanger or Jon opening his eyes will be.

Shireen screams were terrible but brilliantly shocking.

I always picture Drogon as being much bigger at this point.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They've telegraphed Olly so much in the past few episodes that the stabbing is hardly going to come as a shock now.

It will either be the season cliff hanger or Jon opening his eyes will be.
    I could see them do a scene with Jon opening his eyes and them being blue as there's been focusing in on the eyes a lot recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That Stannis is no King of mine. Poor Ser Davos will be heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Kunkka wrote: »
    Ok so I said last week that they'd kill Stannis this week. They done worse, they destroyed the actual character. This is the Stannis that ate rats and leather from his shoes during a siege. Who holds honor and duty above everything else. The show instead made him out to be a weakling that burnt his daughter so he could get a ****ing steak sandwich..... I am really gutted by it as he was my favorite characters....

Future book spoilers -
    It's been confirmed Stannis burns Shireen in one of the unpublished books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

bopper wrote: »
    Future book spoilers -

I would hope in the book there's a lot more time given how he came to make that crazy and desperate decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I was expecting more after last week, like the majority of this season that episode was fairly poor! Also, the state of the CGI at the end, looked so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Future book spoilers -

Link? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

I was expecting more after last week, like the majority of this season that episode was fairly poor! Also, the state of the CGI at the end, looked so bad!

i think they blew their cgi budget on hardhome last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Kunkka wrote: »
    Ok so I said last week that they'd kill Stannis this week. They done worse, they destroyed the actual character. This is the Stannis that ate rats and leather from his shoes during a siege. Who holds honor and duty above everything else. The show instead made him out to be a weakling that burnt his daughter so he could get a ****ing steak sandwich..... I am really gutted by it as he was my favorite characters.... Like people have said you'd almost want the Bolton's to succeed now.... The only thing I'd say is it does set it up for Jon possible being reincarnated & then taking over the forces in the North with Stannis probably being killed by Brienne? It would make sense because they did make it obvious his forces weren't happy, who else could lead them if Stannis dies? Between the burning and the scene in the brothel I can't help but think the show is looking for cheap shock moments while sacrificing good characters....

It might have made more sense in the books, Stannis' army had been snowbound for weeks and were all alternately starving/freezing to death, thus making it more of a Hobson's choice, do I sacrifice my daughter or do we all freeze here?
    This move smacks more of a 'we need an episode 9 shock death, where's Shereen?' and it tipifies a lot of the lazy inorganic plot development that has happened this season.
    More then once I've asked myself, why did that happen all of a sudden? And answered myself, because the plot need to move on but there's just no time to do so and have it make sense.
    Without the time on the TV show to develop the increesingly dire situation that Stannis found his army in, it would have made more sense from a characterization point of view for for his zealous wife to take the decision out of his hands and do the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

KgUBaaL.jpg

Apparently, it was GRRM's idea. Which seems to suggest (BOOK THEORY):
    Melisandre and Selyse burn Shireen at Castle Black

EDIT:
    Future book spoilers -

First I've heard of this. Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Why do the show writers have a vendetta out for Stannis?

Of course book stannis is a arsehole at times, but I'm fairly sure he'd never burn is only daughter alive so that the weather would clear up a bit.

**** this, Stannis is still my one true king :mad:

• Advertisement

Link? :)
    First I've heard of this. Got a link?

If you look up the "inside the episode" on YouTube they mention it about 90 seconds in.

I must be one of the few that doesn't think that was out of character for Stannis. I've never disliked the character, but I never saw him as a "good guy" either.

Just rewatching a few scenes:

-Why did Jon approach the Wall from the north?

-Why did no one mention the Walkers immediately? It's a pretty significant event in the grand scheme of things.

-How did the Unsullied let a Harpy get right up behind Dany and when did these highly trained-from-youth soldiers become such bog standard fighters?

-Hizdahr is not the Harpy.

-Jorah touched Dany like a fool. What was he thinking?

-Jorah is badass.

-Dany and Drogon looked like Malfoy on a broom.

-Dorne still sucks, can't believe we missed the kingsmoot for this (for a year at any rate).

-Doran is badass.

-Olly stabbing Jon is going to go down as the most predictable twist in TV history.

-Ramsay and his 20 men managed that a little too easily.

-Meryn Trant gonna get what's coming to him.

-Stannis hype at an all time low, that decision was made way too quickly and with little reason. Complete 180 from Stannis earlier this season.

-I'm up for the Night's King now.

If you look up the "inside the episode" on YouTube they mention it about 90 seconds in.

I must be one of the few that doesn't think that was out of character for Stannis. I've never disliked the character, but I never saw him as a "good guy" either.

Confirms Shireen burns, but not necessarily that Stannis gives the command. Given Stannis is at Winterfell and Shireen is at Castle Black with Melisandre, I'm clinging on to hope for now.

I'm surprised to see so much negativity around this episode, for me it was really strong. Yes the dragon CGI was a bit dodgy at the end but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect visuals as strong as last week every episode. Plus I only felt the shots of Dany on the back of the Dragon were poor, the rest looked fine to me.

Confirms Shireen burns, but not necessarily that Stannis gives the command. Given Stannis is at Winterfell and Shireen is at Castle Black with Melisandre, I'm clinging on to hope for now.

Perhaps, but to me it really sounds like he does - They thought it was horrible when George told them, but it really moves the story along from the moment we first meet Stannis. It could just be the way the video is edited, but I picked it up that the involvement of Stannis is what they found so horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ha, I got the most inappropriate pop up ad on this thread!

Plot twist : Olly tries to save Jon during the stabathon

I thought Dany had a legion of Unsullied. How come there were only about 20-30 in the arena ?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

That was pretty bad. The Shireen part in particular was an awful change, it felt like pure shock factor and came out of nowhere given how Stannis' character has been established. The writers really do not understand how some of the characters are supposed to be written. Also, I can't imagine Stannis would burn her in the book unless something awful happens to him. I assumed Melisandre and Selyse would burn her without consulting him.

Daznak's Pit was ok, preferred how it went down in the books. CGI wasn't great towards the end and I thought Drogon would be bigger at this point.

Dorne remains as awful as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

+1 for thinking that Drogon would be bigger at this stage too, I always saw him as fairly huge when I was reading ADwD.

I'm in shock over the Stannis/Shireen plot - first of all, I thought that maybe they (Mel & Stan) were doing it for the whole Nissa Nissa/Lightbringer reason, but it just played out that he did it to get into Winterfell - WTF like? Will have to watch it again tonight, but I did NOT enjoy that episode at all.

So what do we think for next week? Olly stabbing Jon is a given (I would think), but will they show him coming back? Seeing as the book hasnt yet given any firm indication that he will come out of it? Also, where is Ghost? Cos I think the book points us toward
    Jon warging into Ghost at the moment of his death

Im still hoping that good old Lady Stoneheart will make an appearance next week for the finale :)

Advertisement