Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 5 x 09: The Dance of Dragons - HAVE READ the books

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If the Red God were to favor/assist any contender then surely it would be a Targaryen right?
    Well the high priest says as much basically telling everyone that Dany is the one who'll complete the ancient prophecy (same prophecy Mel thinks Stanis is going to complete) and urging all slaves in the free cities to rebellion and go and join her as he's seen in the flames.

That fact alone to me means that neither Stanis nor Dany are the onse to fulfill it pointing towards John or Bran as the correct person (most likely Bran).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The Greyjoys are interesting because they're a wildcard and Euron is a well travelled psychopath who has set his eyes on the throne of Westeros and actually stands a decent chance of succeeding with the help of a magic dragon horn he recovered from the ruins of Valyria, a place most captains refuse to even sail near.

Rooting for the underdog is always fun, when that underdog is an evil magic pirate it's ten times as fun.

I think that's my problem. How is he an underdog if he's sailed around Valyria and has a "magical dragon horn".

With Dany and the Starks their powers/connection to dragons/wolves comes from them. Euron is basically using a cheat code. I have a feeling that anybody using anything external to them and not an innate power is not going to be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Gendry must be at Slavers bay at this point? If he rocks up at the wall or something I'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

The Iron Islands have way more then 80 ships, the iron fleet is 100 strong and that's not all of them.

The Greyjoys are interesting because they're a wildcard and Euron is a well travelled psychopath who has set his eyes on the throne of Westeros and actually stands a decent chance of succeeding with the help of a magic dragon horn he recovered from the ruins of Valyria, a place most captains refuse to even sail near.

Rooting for the underdog is always fun, when that underdog is an evil magic pirate it's ten times as fun.

But how on Earth would they have that many people there? As their motto says, "They do not sow". They have little food, and even less land. I mean how would they even have enough wood for that many ships - half that many ships? The depiction of the islands in the TV series seems relatively accurate, and you would be forgiven for thinking there were not more than a couple of thousand people living on Pyke (enough to support maybe one ship).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Do we actually have any idea how big the Iron Islands are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I think the Iron Islands are basically Dorne. Too remote to actually be on the Iron Throne but important enough to influence who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The Iron Islands have way more then 80 ships, the iron fleet is 100 strong and that's not all of them.

I like this poster! :pac:

Euron is a pretty cool character, him and his mute crew, he is an out and out villain, no grey there, only in his name. If handled well, he would be a good addition to the show, if handled as badly as Dorne, then I'd be happy if they cut him.

Euron and Victorian, while I initially disliked them in the books, they really grew on me by the end of ADWD. Really looking forward to seeing what happens with them.

If they do feature, they will most likely merge the two uncles.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

The pedo scene in the brothel still hurt my mind...sh1t!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I really hope they don't combine Euron and Victarion, that would defeat the entire point of returning to the Iron Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I must be the only one who doesnt like the greyjoy / iron islands crowd? I literally groaned everytime I came to one of their chapters in the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

I must be the only one who doesnt like the greyjoy / iron islands crowd? I literally groaned everytime I came to one of their chapters in the books.

Me too, in fact I ended up just skimming over them. The kingsmoot, the drowned God, ugh just pointless drivel. He'd have WOW out by now if he'd entirely scrapped that arc.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't think they were awful but never looked forward to them and always felt like they were an unwelcome distraction from the "main" characters.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Victarion is the most tedious character in the entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I completely agree with the dislike of Euron and Victorian, I did grow to like them though, if simply to see what they would do.

The kingsmoot was painful and build up to it, were painful to read.

Still the chapters weren't as difficult/boring to read as the Dornish stuff though, and they included that crap and made it way worse.

Victorian and his scorched arm and his red priest and dragon horn, attempting to tame/steal a dragon would make good viewing.

And Euron and what ever the hell he is up to.

It can't be any worse viewing than the Dorne rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

bur wrote: »

All the Iron Islands together are about the size of Skagos
    Westeros_HBO.png

And while Skagos is pretty cold, it can't be terribly less hospitable than

"The islands [which] are stern and stony places, scant of comfort and bleak of prospect. Death is never far here, and life is mean and meagre. Men spend their nights drinking ale and arguing over whose lot is worse, the fisherfolk who fight the sea or the farmers who and scratch a crop from the poor thin soil. If truth be told, the miners have it worse than either, breaking their backs down in the dark, and for what? Iron, lead, tin, those are our treasures. Small wonder the ironmen of old turned to raiding."

Who knows? Maybe Skagos will conquer Westeros...

The war ships of the Iron Islands may have a crew of 100 (that would be the size of the Sea Bitch for example) and that would be consistent with the number of ships quoted. But compare this to the quinquerem of ancient Rome which carried a total crew of 420.

Either way, you have a fighting force of maybe 20000, tops. (which is sort of confirmed by semi-cannon sources).

Quake in fear at the 20K troops that can be mustered by the Iron Islands! Hardly a game changer, right? Okay, if they threw in their lot with some other side I could see it making a difference (particularly given their skill on the sea). But I just can't buy the idea that they are significant in isolation. Dorne or even the Vale of Arryn, on the other hand, would be significant - so on those grounds, at least, I can forgive their inclusion in plot lines.

Oh, and the idea that the wildlings could muster a force of 100,000 was just... well... fantasy. At least that number has become a more realistic figure of 5,000 (in the tv series at least). But the TV series seems even weaker at keeping track of numbers than GRRM (Dany in Series 2 has 40 Dothraki... wait... 200... 1... 50.... 100s... and now... 0?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Westeros_HBO.png

"The islands [which] are stern and stony places, scant of comfort and bleak of prospect. Death is never far here, and life is mean and meagre. Men spend their nights drinking ale and arguing over whose lot is worse, the fisherfolk who fight the sea or the farmers who and scratch a crop from the poor thin soil. If truth be told, the miners have it worse than either, breaking their backs down in the dark, and for what? Iron, lead, tin, those are our treasures. Small wonder the ironmen of old turned to raiding."

The war ships of the Iron Islands may have a crew of 100 (that would be the size of the Sea Bitch for example) and that would be consistent with the number of ships quoted. But compare this to the quinquerem of ancient Rome which carried a total crew of 420.

Either way, you have a fighting force of maybe 20000, tops. (which is sort of confirmed by semi-cannon sources).

Quake in fear at the 20K troops that can be mustered by the Iron Islands! Hardly a game changer, right? Okay, if they threw in their lot with some other side I could see it making a difference (particularly given their skill on the sea). But I just can't buy the idea that they are significant in isolation. Dorne or even the Vale of Arryn, on the other hand, would be significant - so on those grounds, at least, I can forgive their inclusion in plot lines.

Oh, and the idea that the wildlings could muster a force of 100,000 was just... well... fantasy. At least that number has become a more realistic figure of 5,000 (in the tv series at least). But the TV series seems even weaker at keeping track of numbers than GRRM (Dany in Series 2 has 40 Dothraki... wait... 200... 1... 50.... 100s... and now... 0?)
    The best estimate I've seen for the population of the Iron Islands is roughly 1 million and troop numbers at around 20k, they have a higher population density than the other kingdoms in Westeros due to their history of kidnapping women.

Granted 20k men aren't going to conquer the whole continent but with a dragon under his control, the best navy in Westeros, Danerys as an unwilling wife and whatever he's looking to seize from the Citadel I can see Euron succeeding. Temporarily at least.

Also the 100k wildlings wee a population not an army. 100k was literally almost all the wildlings.

Prediction for ep 10: Sansa uses that knife thing she picked up while out walking to chop off Ramsay's member, before slitting his throat. A girl can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The opposite, everyone seems to hate them. I loved their chapters in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

amos13 wrote: »
    Prediction for ep 10: Sansa uses that knife thing she picked up while out walking to chop off Ramsay's member, before slitting his throat. A girl can dream.

Looked like a cork screw to me

Looked like a cork screw to me

That'll work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Westeros_HBO.png

Not really sure what you are arguing? When has anyone on the show quaked in fear at the thought of the Greyjoys taking over Westeros? The Greyjoys have never threatened to take over Westeros. They know their own limitations. When Yara comes to get Theon at Winterfell she literally calls him an idiot for thinking he could hold the North.

I think they are a great inclusion as they are so different from the other houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sorry if this has been posted already

11205555_872371619507563_2611492231546655800_n.png?oh=71fc6aaeb4d08b511f18c0d483578c9c&oe=55FD759E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Out of interest...

Did anyone here, before this episode or still, believe that Stannis was ever going to make it to the endgame and be the King of Westeros in practice rather than by claim?
    I agree that as the situation stands, He is the true rightful King of Westeros, but I have never thought he would ever actually get to the Iron Throne itself... Just wondering how others had seen it both before and now after...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Out of interest...

Did anyone here, before this episode or still, believe that Stannis was ever going to make it to the endgame and be the King of Westeros in practice rather than by claim?
    I agree that as the situation stands, He is the true rightful King of Westeros, but I have never thought he would ever actually get to the Iron Throne itself... Just wondering how others had seen it both before and now after...

He's been one of the main contenders since season/book 2. A lot of people's favourite. Maybe it's a tell that he doesn't have his own POV chapters though as most of the big hitters have had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Out of interest...

I have never thought Stannis would make it to the Throne, even though I kinda wanted him to. He's been a contender, but I have never considered that the series would end with him in charge.

And now.... he burned his own child alive. That's a no from me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I didn't/don't really see Stannis taking the Iron Throne due to\mitigating factors such as winter worsening, threat of the Others (Stannis being the only contender paying attention to them), being in the North with nowhere to hole up (even if they take Winterfell, he'll have a hard time pushing south of the neck), Aegon's invasion, and potentially Dany's. And, as Liam O mentioned, he's not a POV, like Joffrey, Renly, Robb and Balon.

Unless he somehow swings an alliance with Highgarden (if by a miracle he forgives/finds a non-fatal way of punishing their 'treason' of allying with Renly and the Lannisters) and Sunspear, he hasn't a chance unless a spanner gets thrown into the works.

I still really want to see him do it, but everything is against him.

I didn't/don't really see Stannis taking the Iron Throne due to\mitigating factors such as winter worsening, threat of the Others (Stannis being the only contender paying attention to them), being in the North with nowhere to hole up (even if they take Winterfell, he'll have a hard time pushing south of the neck), Aegon's invasion, and potentially Dany's. And, as Liam O mentioned, he's not a POV, like Joffrey, Renly, Robb and Balon.

Unless he somehow swings an alliance with Highgarden (if by a miracle he forgives/finds a non-fatal way of punishing their 'treason' of allying with Renly and the Lannisters) and Sunspear, he hasn't a chance unless a spanner gets thrown into the works.

I still really want to see him do it, but everything is against him.
    No King is a pov character. Being non pov makes him more likely to sit the Iron Throne. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No King is a pov character. Being non pov makes him more likely to sit the Iron Throne. :p

No king lives either. So even if he does reach the Iron Throne he'll end up the same as the rest of them soon after :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Out of interest...

I still see it being Bran in the books, would take me ages to explain the reasoning though and the TV show looks likely it will have a different ending.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    I still see it being Bran in the books, would take me ages to explain the reasoning though and the TV show looks likely it will have a different ending.
    Maybe but I got the feeling Bran was very "of the North" and would be unwilling to rule in the South.

Advertisement