Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 5 x 09: The Dance of Dragons - HAVE READ the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

MrWalsh wrote: »
    House Baratheon is gone now isnt it?

Ya if Stannis dies, House Baratheon is gone.

Unless Gendry or any other male bastard (Edric Storm) that Robert had out there gets legitimised.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tommen is still a Baratheon technically?

awec wrote: »
    Tommen is still a Baratheon technically?

In name only, but Tommen isn't going to live much longer surely.

...Golden their shrouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    In name only, but Tommen isn't going to live much longer surely.

...Golden their shrouds...

Everybody as well seems to know about his real parents ( in the show) , so that won't work at all i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

I think someone in the non readers thread posted an image called SS Abandoned Plotlines, with all the characters the writers have conveniently forgotten about.

In season 1, they mention the Greyjoy rebellion quite a bit and Jaime even describes seeing Theon, like seeing a shark on a mountaintop. And his uncles are then mentioned later too when Theon is speaking to Tyrion after he passed through WF on his way south.

I don't recall the 2 uncles being mentioned again after that...

They appear to have forgotten about Balon and Yara/Asha completely.

I think they've just cut them for this season (and used the screentime for Dorne :mad:), but they'll be back next season, same as Bran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

BKtje wrote: »
    With regards to the unsullied fighting abilities, spears aren't much good in close quarter combat where an attack can come from anywhere. You want short maneuverable weapons like daggers or short swords and not long range spears. Once on the arena floor where they can form a circle and the enemies only come from outside, the spears become the weapon of choice. I don't recall seeing many die once they had the positional advantage. That said they did seem to die rather easily even considering the above.
    Greyjoy wrote: »
    Add to that the unsullied would have been trained to fight as a unit on the battlefield. They're used to fighting in a block of soldiers together, not 1-on-1 against individual opponents. Plus as a slave army they would be more used to obeying orders than acting on their own. Having said that it doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't have a short sword they could draw for close quarter fighting.
    I am 99% sure it's mentioned in the books that the Unsullied spend years of their training mastering the short sword as well as the spear.

The showrunners have handled them very sloppily tbh.

Forgot that Varys has to turn up next week too to kill Pycelle and Kevan Lannister.

They already reintroduced Kevan this season, so maybe this scene won't be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Forgot that Varys has to turn up next week too to kill Pycelle and Kevan Lannister.

Or Littlefinger will do it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lol, they're in a massive fighting pit and still useless. You can't defend how they're handled with straw man arguments about spears being too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It would annoy me a lot to not have more scenes showing the stability Kevan brings in his short time in charge. I reckon the Ides of Marsh might/well should be at least left to next season and introduce Bowen Marsh a bit more.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    It would annoy me a lot to not have more scenes showing the stability Kevan brings in his short time in charge. I reckon the Ides of Marsh might/well should be at least left to next season and introduce Bowen Marsh a bit more.

I'd say they are going to cram a serious amount of stuff in.

Sure there is even the possibility of Littlefinger and the Vale attacking WF after the battle, most likely next season, if at all. I'm sure LF could teleport back to the Vale in time and all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Liam O wrote: »
    Lol, they're in a massive fighting pit and still useless. You can't defend how they're handled with straw man arguments about spears being too long.

The show shoots in Ireland, Iceland, Spain and Croatia.
    It may well cut between these location shoots several times in an episode.
    I suspect that, like the naffness in Dorne, the inconsistancy and shoddy battlescenes, even within an episode might be a result of crappy second unit directors shooting in far flung locations while the man unit shoot stuff in N. Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I found the whole episode underwhelming. The Sons of the Harpy masks make no sense, surely it wouldn't be too hard to track down a shop using that much gold paint?:D Other than showing Stannis losing the last shred of his humanity and decency I'm not sure what the point of killing Shereen was. All in all it felt very lacklustre and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    A humble suggestion:

Euron_Greyjoy.jpg

ONLY if they get Ian McShane to play him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm guessing they have all the Bran stuff filmed but are saving it for next year as to not let him age too much within the show, but still allow the show to advance.

Hoping beyond hope that when the last scene in next weeks episode fades to black, instead of going to the credits, we get a "Meanwhile, in the Riverlands...." moment with the much anticipated appearance of Lady Stoneheart! I know it won't happen, but still, fingers crossed :P

Kind of hope this doesn't happen now as i'd of spoiled it for one or two people. :D Just figured it was well past the point of happening.

Will we ever get Nymeria and her pack hunting and killing Lannister men? Imagine that done in the same POV style as Bran's dream in 2x01. Would be special.

God she really is awful. Even just her expressions when she's not talking infuriate me and have me shouting at the TV!!

I have no idea what emotion she's supposed to be expressing half the time. She goes for that concerned sympathetic look a lot i think, but she just ends up making a confused looking face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'm guessing they have all the Bran stuff filmed but are saving it for next year as to not let him age too much within the show, but still allow the show to advance.

Id say they are going to change his appearance so much that it wont matter. He will become tree man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I'd say it's because Bran does fúck all after finding Bloodraven apart from Hallucinating and getting visions. His story was finished halfway through ADWD and similar to the show, he isn't required......for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

celica00 wrote:
    Everybody as well seems to know about his real parents ( in the show) , so that won't work at all i'd say

What's up with that. That may have been the case in the books after Stannis's letter but no one had casual little chats with Jaime about it, or am I misremembering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Im getting the feeling we will get a big shock at the end of the last episode, something well into TWOW, so we cant predict it. I dont think Stoneheart will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    A humble suggestion:

Euron_Greyjoy.jpg

I don't really understand the Iron Islands thing. Sure, I haven't read the books that involve Euron (or... Victarian?) but I can't see how the Iron Islands matter. Fullstop.

They are small, desolate islands. Realistically they could perhaps field a navy of 20 battle worthy ships (maybe totalling a force of 8,000 men and women), give or take. I've seen nothing to dis-affirm this (they pirate, raid, and hold forts only with a skeleton crew).

How Balon or his children thought they could conquer the North (a really, really big place) makes no sense (it would be like saying "remember when Blackbeard the pirate attempted to conquer North America?") - nor why anybody gives them any time. How they managed to have a second wind in the books (having had their assess handed to them by the northerners) again makes no sense.

Why GRRM and the GOT writers constantly veer away from the real conflicts (Riverlands, Stannis campaign, White Walkers, Slaver's Bay) to areas where there aren't conflicts (Dorne, Castle Black, Dreadfort, etc), or to people in these settings that simply don't matter (Grey Worm's would-be affair anyone?) has been getting on my nerves for a while now...

Think I could do with some good old fashioned Theon or Sansa torture scene. Wait! Why not both... at the same time? Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bur wrote: »
    ONLY if they get Ian McShane to play him.
    One of the best characters in the book! I guess next season will have a lot of Iron Island stuff.

I don't really understand the Iron Islands thing. Sure, I haven't read the books that involve Euron (or... Victarian?) but I can't see how the Iron Islands matter. Fullstop.

They are small, desolate islands. Realistically they could perhaps field a navy of 20 battle worthy ships (maybe totalling a force of 8,000 men and women), give or take. I've seen nothing to dis-affirm this (they pirate, raid, and hold forts only with a skeleton crew).

How Balon or his children thought they could conquer the North (a really, really big place) makes no sense (it would be like saying "remember when Blackbeard the pirate attempted to conquer North America?") - nor why anybody gives them any time. How they managed to have a second wind in the books (having had their assess handed to them by the northerners) again makes no sense.

Why GRRM and the GOT writers constantly veer away from the real conflicts (Riverlands, Stannis campaign, White Walkers, Slaver's Bay) to areas where there aren't conflicts (Dorne, Castle Black, Dreadfort, etc), or to people in these settings that simply don't matter (Grey Worm's would-be affair anyone?) has been getting on my nerves for a while now...

Think I could do with some good old fashioned Theon or Sansa torture scene. Wait! Why not both... at the same time? Genius!

Do some reading.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Greyjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not in this show - everyone will conveniently forget that kinslaying is supposed to be a big deal. Until maybe halfway through next season when the concept will be needed for a plotpoint.
    Consistency is long dead.
    bur wrote: »
    I'm honestly at a bit of a cross roads now after that. Stannis is one of the only reasons i'm even still interested in the books and they've just completely ruined him for me now. It would be one thing if they showed what drove him to it but nope, it was like he just woke up one morning and thought **** it, i can't be dealing with this cold anymore, today is the day i have my daughter burned at the stake.

Who am i supposed to get behind now? Emilia Clarke is such a bad actress she makes me want to throw things, and Dany is just annoying as a character anyway.

Hurry up GRRM.
    But isn't grrm going to have stains burn shireen as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

celica00 wrote: »
    Finally got to watch it too! Just excellent!

I actually think Emilia Clarke is really good, she is a very good actress, not sure why people are not happy with her, she act as she needs to in regards of her character.

It's the big black eye brows and blonde hair that bug me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The Iron Islands have way more then 80 ships, the iron fleet is 100 strong and that's not all of them.

The Greyjoys are interesting because they're a wildcard and Euron is a well travelled psychopath who has set his eyes on the throne of Westeros and actually stands a decent chance of succeeding with the help of a magic dragon horn he recovered from the ruins of Valyria, a place most captains refuse to even sail near.

Rooting for the underdog is always fun, when that underdog is an evil magic pirate it's ten times as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

WTF!? Stannis, you fúcker

But isn't grrm going to have stains burn shireen as well

I think Shireen ends up getting burned, but more likley by Mel and Selyse without his knowledge.
    I could even see Stannis being the one to give the order but things will be far more dire when it happens. And it will actually be given the weight it deserves in the books.

Stannis can still redeem himself somewhat...when he takes the decision to sacrifice himself to the red god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

If the Red God were to favor/assist any contender then surely it would be a Targaryen right?

Melisandre has now managed to kill two of the remaining Baratheon line and all but destroyed the last living legitimate one.

Advertisement