Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Paulo Tullio

Options
  • 05-06-2015 10:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Always seemed a decent skin. The Restaurant won't be the same again....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He was on the food & drink slot on the Moncrieff Show up until about six weeks ago, we (as in the posters in the Moncrieff Show thread in the Radio forum) were pretty much clueless as to what happened to him when he was replaced without comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

More crap news, too many decent people leaving us too early this year.
    Used to love his segment on Thursdays Moncrieff show which hasn't been as good in his absence over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

So sad to hear this news today. I met him once he seemed like an absolute gentleman. I will certainly miss reading his columns & seeing him on the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

He was on the food & drink slot on the Moncrieff Show up until about six weeks ago, we (as in the posters in the Moncrieff Show thread in the Radio forum) were pretty much clueless as to what happened to him when he was replaced without comment.
    Yeah they never mentioned anything about him and where he was which I found odd too. Gonna miss his podcasts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah no :(

RIP Paolo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Awful news, he came across as a lovely man on air. Sympathies to this family.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Sad news. RIP.

As food and wine critics go Paulo was genuine and never snobby as other critics tend to be.
    I loved his slot on Moncrief and always read his articles in that Weekender magazine.

He seemed like a very honest and likeable man.

RIP Paulo. arrivederci

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Used to love listening to Paolo on the Moncrieff show.Very bad show from all at Newstalk not too mention Paolo's reason for his absence.RIP to a lovely man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Sad to hear. He always seemed like a nice guy. I used to enjoy his column in the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we have lost some really great broadcasters lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

He had a certain way of making me salivate like a madman when on the road at work.

He would be describing some magnificent cut of meat, or some delicious Italian artichokes done in rich passata and chopper garlic and basil sauce, while I had a ham sanger in the tinfoil.

Rip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

we have lost some really great broadcasters lately
    Yeah, Tony Fenton (absolute gent as a person, even if his style didn't appeal to everyone), Derek Davis, Bill O'Herlihy - all gone too soon; 'tis sad indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aw that's a shame, always liked him on Moncrieff. Only 65 too, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Really missed him off the Moncrieff show, always great stories..RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

One of the few food and drink personalities who not only didn't come across as a complete wanker, but actually seemed like a gent. He did look like a walking heart attack though.

Having said that I don't think it's been revealed how he died yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah here, today is nothing but bad news, first Jerry Collins, now Paulo Tulio. He used his years well, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Used to love listening to Paolo on the Moncrieff show.Very bad show from all at Newstalk not too mention Paolo's reason for his absence.RIP to a lovely man.

Do you expect them to say that he wasn't on the show because he was dying?

What does it matter?

I always liked his sections on the show and he was good on The Restaurant , he certainly didn't look 100% though on the last series that was on TV3 recently.

Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Ah no.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah, Tony Fenton (absolute gent as a person, even if his style didn't appeal to everyone), Derek Davis, Bill O'Herlihy - all gone too soon; 'tis sad indeed.

and George Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Thats very sad, I always watched The Restaurant, I thought Tullio and the pompous Tom Doorley were a perfect match and made the programme good viewing.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked Paulo :(

He's sitting in an eternal osteria with a big bowl of pasta and a glass of red.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Sad to ear. I was a huge fan of his. And he was never a cruel critic of a restaurant. He'd find something nice to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, poor Paolo.

Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Remember hearing him a few weeks back and he didn't sound his best, and then after the break Moncrieff just said that Paulo wasn't feeling too well and decided to go home. Don't think he was on again after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

One of the few food and drink personalities who not only didn't come across as a complete wanker, but actually seemed like a gent. He did look like a walking heart attack though.

Having said that I don't think it's been revealed how he died yet.
    He commented on Twitter about having low blood pressure back in February. Could be cardiac alright.

The last famous deaths I was saddened by were Robin Williams (you'd have to be a cyborg not to get upset over that) and Iain Banks. Was very surprised by how shocked I was when I read the news of Paolo. I have a lot of fond memories of listening to him on Moncrieff. The texts about him and butter, haha! Aww.

In other death-related news, the BBC killed the Queen on Twitter this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Dubwat

R.I.P.

I was always impressed with his deep knowledge of food and the ease in which he dispensed that knowledge to the general public on the radio. He'll be missed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I met the chap quite the number of times a few years back. Nice guy. Very genuine, interesting and good craic too. And I'm about as big a non foodie as one could get. RIP.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Rip Paul O Toole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I would'nt care much about food myself but himself and Sean always had good oul banter.A true gent he was.RIP.

Advertisement