Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Paulo Tullio

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Only found out recently that he was married to Diane De Burgh's sister. I used to love his restaurant reviews in the Independent magazine on Saturdays, and also his eloquent and positive reviews on The Restaurant. God rest him. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Yeah, Tony Fenton (absolute gent as a person, even if his style didn't appeal to everyone), Derek Davis, Bill O'Herlihy - all gone too soon; 'tis sad indeed.

Bill O'Herlihy was nearly 80 dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seemed like such a warm man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Bill O'Herlihy was nearly 80 dude.
    Aw Jaysis I had nearly gotten over him and you bring him up again! :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wibbs wrote: »
    about as big a non foodie as one could get.

And big non-foodies are a very rare breed of person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sad news indeed. Normally can't listen to any of the Irish celebrity "foodie" set for any length of time but often made a point of listening to Paulo on Moncrieff's show. Genuine and likeable fella who didnt over think it and make it pretentious like so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agricola wrote: »
    Sad news indeed. Normally can't listen to any of the Irish celebrity "foodie" set for any length of time but often made a point of listening to Paulo on Moncrieff's show. Genuine and likeable fella who didnt over think it and make it pretentious like so many of them.

Very well said. RIP Paulo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sad news. I used to listen to his podcast from newstalk every week. The last time I saw him on The Restaurant I thought he look really ill, not too well at all.

I used to love his stories adter his annual months holiday in his home village in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Condolences to Paulo Tullio's family.
    I really enjoyed listening to him on radio and he he a big reason as to why I love watching the restaurant. A sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

RIP, Paolo.
    I used to enjoy The Restaurant, mostly because of his gentle, pleasant manner, towards everyone. Also enjoyed his various columns, over the years. A true gentleman, I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭Goshen

One of the only celebrity deaths that has moved me. Loved him on newstalk. Such knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭DeadHand

What I liked the most about his segment on Moncrief was how it wasn't strictly about food. They often went off on random tangents and Paulo would prove himself to be remarkably conversant on a variety of subjects. He really got the best out of Moncrief and it was obvious they enjoyed each other. It made for great radio.

He wasn't just a food critic, he was an interesting man. He projected warmth and friendliness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭Goshen

I agree. He had a way of imparting knowledge without pontificating. He was delighted by obscure questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Seemed like a lovely man. An awful lot of well known people have passed of late. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Always came across as a lovely man, and did seem to set out to attack restaurants and chefs, but tried to encourage. I heard last year that he was on dialysis, and aparently he was on the waiting list for a kidney transplant. Huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Always seemed like a decent skin for a food critic. Seemed like fun.

Nothing like that Tom Doorley dope.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yeah, Tony Fenton (absolute gent as a person, even if his style didn't appeal to everyone), Derek Davis, Bill O'Herlihy - all gone too soon; 'tis sad indeed.

everyone's dieing :confused: whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

MAN, that is born of a woman, hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay.
    In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, O LORD, who for our sins art justly displeased?

But cheer up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lovely man, saddened to hear of his passing.

May he RIP and may his family find the comfort they need at this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Very sad. He was a gentleman.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sean and the Caroline Clarke tearing up on Moncrieff just now talking about Paulo :(

Advertisement