Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It seems to have gotten to the stage where walking down Grafton street is like running the gauntlet of chuggers.
    Trouble is that if you ban them from the streets then door to door chugging will get worse...or they start phoning you....feels like you cant win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Chuggers should be banned. There should also be a clamp down on how many people are allowed to collect per charity per day. I've to go in to Limerick City Centre this morning, something I usually try to avoid on a Friday as I know that there will probably be a bunch of Secondary school kids collecting for a charity within shouting distance of each other. In the space of a few minutes I will be approached at least 6 times for the same charity and it fcuks me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What's wrong with saying "no, thanks". Works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Chuggers should be banned. There should also be a clamp down on how many people are allowed to collect per charity per day. I've to go in to Limerick City Centre this morning, something I usually try to avoid on a Friday as I know that there will probably be a bunch of Secondary school kids collecting for a charity within shouting distance of each other. In the space of a few minutes I will be approached at least 6 times for the same charity and it fcuks me right off.

You missed Amnesty international yesterday. You'll be sorry to hear that, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Spare a thought for the poor souls who have hit rock bottom in the job market, I'd say they cry themselves to sleep at night, having used up all their happiness during the day.
    Seriously though, they're coached to behave this way, sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I have no problem with charities collecting. However, when someone collects on their behalf for a cut of the takings, I find that offensive. So, yes, ban them completely, not just allow a couple of days a week as in Croydon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Mr E wrote: »

Works for me too. Not for everyone though.When I see younger people stopping out of awkwardness I shed a single year and remember the days when I did that. Same happens when I see old people give money to questionable charaties outside Penneys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was followed and hounded the length of Grafton Street by one one day after repeatedly telling them no.

In Belfast, one waited outside a shop after following me and then kept following me once I left the shop. I lost my temper that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Menas wrote: »
    .or they start phoning you....feels like you cant win.

They have made cold calling illegal in the UK, hope that comes in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Burn them all alive!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Because many follow you and keep hassling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

The thing is I always start off nice and polite with "no, thanks" but by the 6th and 7th time in a row I gets angry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's the amount of times in the space of a few minutes that I have to say no that annoys me. In the space of a few hundred metres I'll have been approached by the same kids outside of 4 shops, that's ludicrous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If they ask for your bank account just ask them for theirs first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Best to avoid this lot is to never leave home and don't answer your hall door.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I have a feeling Chuggers are mental .I mean how can you keep up smiling ,and acting like you are the long lost friend of random strangers 8 hours a day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Chugger: "Would you like to buy a line?",
    Me: "sorry my back garden isn't big enough".

By the time they've figured it out I'm well out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Rawr

Many moons ago I remember posing this up on a Chugger Rant over in R&R.
    So annoyed with chuggers was I, that I made a point of mapping them out in order to best avoid them on my route from O'Connell Bridge to Stephen's Green.

This is what I call the Chugger-Less passage, which may possibly horribly out of date. Use it wisely, and try not to share with the Chuggers :D

chugger.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

anto9 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Chuggers are mental .I mean how can you keep up smiling ,and acting like you are the long lost friend of random strangers 8 hours a day ?
    Because they're on chugger pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Scum of the earth them chugger. Trying to force you to make contact with them so you engage with them. Let the work of the charity speak for itself. Screw you and your guilt trip. Concern I am talking to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I can deal with them myself ,as usually shouting ''all Chuggers are Kunts '' usually puts them off .Its old people ,and just people who are far too nice and polite i feel sorry for .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Chuggers and Temple Bar restaurant touts are two species I deal with by editing them out of my consciousness. I simply act as if they don't exist, unless I actually have to step around them. "No thanks" is more effort than I'm prepared to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Or if you don't want to be so assertive, how about I already gave to Sean/your man/Cathy/bloke up the road.... - great cause, thanks for all you guys do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Or if you don't want to be so assertive, how about I already gave to Sean/your man/Cathy/bloke up the road.... - great cause, thanks for all you guys do.

Because by the time you have stopped and said that the next chugger down the street has spotted you and tagged you as a 'soft touch' and so on so forth....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't even acknowledge them, they're not even worth a no thanks. But they used to be a lot worse I think, or at least I haven't had any step in front of me and try to block me from walking down the street. That actually freaked me out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

Did anyone see that show in RTE lately, this young guy who had just turned pro in golf, was trying to over come his fear of public speaking. one of the tasks he had to do was to stop random people in the street introduce himself and tell them he had a stammer.

At one point he tried this with a chugger, she said sorry I don't have time and walked away from him, the cheek of her. so if you ever feel in any way guilty for ignoring chuggers just think of that chugger who couldn't even spare a minute for the poor young guy who was finding the task really hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Menas wrote: »
    Because by the time you have stopped and said that the next chugger down the street has spotted you and tagged you as a 'soft touch' and so on so forth....

Don't stop. Talk and walk at the same time - I've been doing it for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Rawr wrote: »
    Many moons ago I remember posing this up on a Chugger Rant over in R&R.
    So annoyed with chuggers was I, that I made a point of mapping them out in order to best avoid them on my route from O'Connell Bridge to Stephen's Green.

This is what I call the Chugger-Less passage, which may possibly horribly out of date. Use it wisely, and try not to share with the Chuggers :D

chugger.png

Theres chuggers on the Gaeity theatre street these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't even acknowledge them, they're not even worth a no thanks. But they used to be a lot worse I think, or at least I haven't had any step in front of me and try to block me from walking down the street. That actually freaked me out a bit.

Unfortunately they still jump in front of me. Doesn't seem to faze them that I could be bombing up Westmorland street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I usually just say no thanks to chuggers, and for MOST of them, it works. For some, though, they just see that as a reason to follow you down the road, the weirdos.

One screamed at my 14 year old sister (at the time), telling her not to be so rude, because she said 'no thanks ' when he tried to stop her to buy a scratch card. He kept shouting at her, so I confronted him, and made him call his team lead.

I pointed out that they cannot sell scratch cards to minors, let alone harass a child walking down the road.
    Himself and his team lead laughed at me. So I called up the charity right in front of them, explained what happened and gave their names.

Got a call back a few days later. Chugger was sacked.

Sucks though. They were literally the ONLY charity that I actually gave money to their chuggers.

Advertisement