Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

from the OP link "The latest chugger ban comes just weeks after 92-year-old poppy seller Olive Cooke was found dead after reportedly being bombarded by 200 charity letters a month asking for money."

I know chuggers can be annoying but why the fcuk was this in the article

what happened? was she crushed to death by sheer volume of charity letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

anto9 wrote: »
    Not a real job .Sweeping the streets would be a real job ,that i would have admiration for .A job i would gladly do myself if necessary .Chugging ? i would die first if it was compulsary .

Public sector. I don't see many street sweepers these days though. I see a lot of Tus and Fas and whatever other schemes there are about. But I don't see many entry level jobs at all.

Anyway don't think it hasn't been fun.

/unsubscribes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I remember one little prick who I ignored ran up behind me, pulled my earphones out of my ears and asked if I wanted to save the world. Had an awful day at work so had a rare rage moment that was unleashed on him.

Utterly hate the ones who call to the door. Accidentally answered the door to one thinking it was the pizza guy, she then had the cheek to get thick at me at my own door when the pizza guy came and said "You can afford pizza but like you won't even help the Syrian refugees!?!"[/I].

She also wanted me to put my bank details into her iPhone...........

Ah yes the old if they refuse to donate take them on a guilt trip routine :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

kingtiger wrote: »
    from the OP link "The latest chugger ban comes just weeks after 92-year-old poppy seller Olive Cooke was found dead after reportedly being bombarded by 200 charity letters a month asking for money."

I know chuggers can be annoying but why the fcuk was this in the article

what happened? was she crushed to death by sheer volume of charity letters?

As well as selling those poppies, she signed up to donate to charities with chuggers.

After she cancelled some direct debits and donating only what she could afford, she was bombarded with hundreds of letters per month until eventually she lost it and killed herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Wasn't there a load of complaints about the aggressiveness of chugger chaps that they were told to tone it down?

A simple "No thanks, I'm fine" Fr. Stone style does it for me. I don't want to give a stranger my bank details in the middle of the street either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Huh, I didn't realise charity collectors were paid. I gotta admit, I figured it was voluntary to help out a charity.

I really dislike the ones that pounce out at you and I try to avoid eye contact. There was a plague of them in Cork a few years back, when I had very little cash, and I hated saying "No," in response to "Do you want to help the X". I ended up with a system that is almost automatic to me now, as mean as it is, where I tend to gradually drift over to the other side of the unfortunate person in front/near me so I'm passing with them between me and the chugger and thus sacrifice them to the chugger while I make my escape.

It's a chugger-eat-dog world out there. Sometimes you just gotta be a dick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Samaris wrote: »
    Huh, I didn't realise charity collectors were paid. I gotta admit, I figured it was voluntary to help out a charity.

I really dislike the ones that pounce out at you and I try to avoid eye contact. There was a plague of them in Cork a few years back, when I had very little cash, and I hated saying "No," in response to "Do you want to help the X". I ended up with a system that is almost automatic to me now, as mean as it is, where I tend to gradually drift over to the other side of the unfortunate person in front/near me so I'm passing with them between me and the chugger and thus sacrifice them to the chugger while I make my escape.

It's a chugger-eat-dog world out there. Sometimes you just gotta be a dick. :D

Classic technique that... throw the stranger under the chugger bus :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

-=al=- wrote: »
    Classic technique that... throw the stranger under the chugger bus :cool:

Ikr! :D I'm not really proud of it, but it's one of the few cases where I will be a dick to some poor stranger to get out of an awkward situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A chugger stood in front of my OH one day and asked her to sign up, think it was concern, she had bags from BT's and said she already had an account set up, and the chugger said, if you have money to spend in BT surely you can spare a few more for Concern. How she didnt slap your man, I'll never know but when she got home she cancelled her account with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Mc Love wrote: »
    A chugger stood in front of my OH one day and asked her to sign up, think it was concern, she had bags from BT's and said she already had an account set up, and the chugger said, if you have money to spend in BT surely you can spare a few more for Concern. How she didnt slap your man, I'll never know but when she got home she cancelled her account with them.

This is actually the important bit here - it is vital that people not give to charities that employ chuggers and for them to make sure the charity knows it. This is how to fight the scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Mr E wrote: »
    What's wrong with saying "no, thanks". Works for me.

I tried that before and had a guy give a smart*rse response that he wasn't offering me anything so no need to thank him, but would I like to contribute to his charity anyway.

Just leave me alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

So you deliberately choose to ruin their day, even if they're polite (which the majority are), just because you don't like what they do?

You really don't understand how desperate one must be to even apply for one of those jobs?

Christ, that's a rotten thing to do.

I have customers like that in work. The ones that deliberately act like cnuts.

I ban them. I only wish the chuggers could do similar to you.

The analogy that someone should not be rude to a chugger, because you hate getting rude customers is a little bit insincere, in my opinion.

We are not customers of chuggers.

We have not gone to their business in an attempt to purchase a product off them.

We are merely there next potential mugging victim!

Hence the name chuggers :D

By the way, I can't stress enough that I'm with you on wanting to ban the bad customers from an actual business. However, I just don't think that we are customers of these chuggers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The analogy that someone should not be rude to a chugger, because you hate getting rude customers is a little bit insincere, in my opinion.

We are not customers of chuggers.

We have not gone to their business in an attempt to purchase a product off them.

We are merely there next potential mugging victim!

Hence the name chuggers :D

By the way, I can't stress enough that I'm with you on wanting to ban the bad customers from an actual business. However, I just don't think that we are customers of these chuggers :)

I have not said not to be rude to chuggers.

I've specifically said that if a chugger doesn't take no for an answer, tell them to fcuk off.

I've chastised a poster who said he chooses to make the person miserable just because.

That's not rude. It's a Fcuking sh!tty thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

The other day, going from Tesco in jervis, to O'Connell Street, 7 of them tried to talk to me 2 in tescos, and 5 along Henry street.

I've now learned that if you've headphones in, most of the time they don't bother, or if you can't avoid them, give them a dirty look if they look at you, they will think twice.
    Or what works for me, not wearing make up. I look about 15 bare faced - They're not supposed to talk to kids. Even though I'm in my 20s, It works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

But you should not have to say it 20+ times to 20+ people.

You should be able to go about your business without being harrased every 50ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Chuggers Out.

The likes of Animal Ark collecting money that doesnt benefit the animals in the local area is a joke.

My estate gets systematically targeted by door to door chuggers.

Ive put up a notice on my front door telling them to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Last week I was coming out of a hardware store and this very depressed looking charity woman seated right inside the exit door :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I am dimly aware that there are people living in extreme poverty in parts of the world that I have never been or will ever travel to. I am dimly aware that there are children starving to death while I sit here sipping a beer and type this message. I know that these are problems that we as humanity need to solve.

I ignore chuggers with a polite shake of the head. When I moved to Cork 15 years ago I was much more receptive to people asking for money on the street, often donating a euro or two to the homeless or charity collectors. If someone engaged my attention I thought it only polite to engage in return. However, my daily 15 minute walk to work across the city would have become untenable if I engaged with everyone. I counted it one day and I was asked for money 10 times during my 15 minute walk.

So I have become a cold-hearted bastard. In my innocence I was very surprised to find out that charities are run as a business with their ceo's earning close to 100k a year. I'm beginning to understand that they need to hire good people to make it all work but I am finding it a bit hard to stomach.

So, chuggers. I think most of them are people trying to make a living in one of the most thankless jobs ever. I think some of them really believe in their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What astonishes me is that people give their bank details to a total stranger on the street. Until people like this stop these chuggers will persist.

Of course they should be banned forever along with beggars.

Get a proper job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I tend to go everywhere with earphones in, so I usually just smile at them, say "Not today, thanks" and keep walking. I find this works reasonably well. I feel sorry for anyone who feels this is the best option for making money available to them. Standing out in the wind and rain for a questionable cause, and being repeatedly told to go eff yourself? I would hate for that to be my life, so I am always polite to them, and have encountered few issues with them as a result.

I would, however, support a complete and total ban of chugging in public areas. I don't like it any more than anyone else does, and I resent being basically accosted for money while trying to go about my business. I'm polite to the people doing the job because if a job exists, someone will always fill it, and being unkind to the individual achieves nothing to eliminate the problem.

If everyone refused to donate via their forms, they would be gone overnight. Failing that, a ban would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/croydon-becomes-100th-town-to-ban-charity-chuggers-125225351.html#ok5czQP

Should also do in Ireland? P.S,I hate them with a passion .There still seem to be a few around on my recent visit back to Dublin.
    agree, but lets face it, this isn't being done because of genuine care about the public. this is just over payed good for nothing councils aka bottom class politicians using their powers in the hope they can have an excuse to throw around money to be seen to be doing something, in the hope of votes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I say no thank and try to walk around them but the fúckers will go to any length to get in your way and stop you passing without listening to their shtick.

Ban them - no.

Burn them at the stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I prefer saying "¿que?" repeatedly. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^Ha ,Ha , nice comedy clip that.

Public sector. I don't see many street sweepers these days though. I see a lot of Tus and Fas and whatever other schemes there are about. But I don't see many entry level jobs at all.

Anyway don't think it hasn't been fun.

/unsubscribes:)

My point is that nobody is forced to be a Chugger.There are always other jobs available .Even being on the Dole is more honorable than being a low life Chugger.:pac: I have a feeling that a lot of them are signing on as well as Chugging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I have a feeling Chuggers are mental .I mean how can you keep up smiling ,and acting like you are the long lost friend of random strangers 8 hours a day ?

Commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If I'm just wasting time waiting on my wife, I'll troll them for as long I can..

taking one for the team, so that strangers I'll never meet can have a happier day.

• Advertisement

If I'm just wasting time waiting on my wife, I'll troll them for as long I can..

taking one for the team, so that strangers I'll never meet can have a happier day.

The old carrot trick .i.e,dangle a carrot in front of them to keep them occupyied,while others manover past ;-)

Advertisement