Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Officially their best song since BHaR era?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6jvXAw5taoqXHbmrcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Great vid, like the outro too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Reapers is the best song by Muse in a while...need a few more of those on the album!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I need to give a good listen to on headphones but I think I like it better live. The production is a bit all over the place imo.

Yeah it sounds much better live. Costey strikes again!

• Advertisement

The Handler has landed. Middle bit is epic but the rest is a bit flat imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpDGX-6aI7w

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Word has it the album has leaked.

It has. First half of the album is far superior to the second. Ignore the last track if you can! :P

miralize wrote: »
    It has. First half of the album is far superior to the second. Ignore the last track if you can! :P

Jaysus. :( I avoided the leak but now I'm in two minds about buying the album at all.

Jaysus. :( I avoided the leak but now I'm in two minds about buying the album at all.

Aftermath, The Globalist, and to a degree Defector have quite good parts. Revolt is a grower shall we say. and for me Drones doesnt exist. Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I wouldn't say the first half is far superior at all. The last song is dodgy though.

I take that back. Its not superior, but there is marked difference in tone. I prefer the first half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

**goes in search of the album**

It's happened. I'm not proud of it, but Revolt has actually grown on me. Should be a fun one live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I'm actually quite happy with the album.

After their last 2 albums I was worried where this album might go but it's got some rocking riffs in it!

I'm just glad it won't take too much "getting into" apart from the 2nd half, which'll grow on me I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I'm really loving this album. The best thing they've done in years, maybe since Absolution, and I really liked BHAR and the Resistance. The Handler is the standout for me. It wouldn't be out of place on Showbiz or OOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Been listening to today good album the Handler I also think is the standout with Reapers not far behind. Will be getting more spins for sure.

They were featured on BBC radio yesterday http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wyds7 (Muse interview begins at around 01:08:00) talking about the new album, Download festival, future tour dates and more it's looking like they intend to do tours of Asia and South America don't reckon they'll be doing a tour in Europe till at least February 2016.

Oh well Roll on Download :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Handler shows they still have that spark in there to produce good music, however it's a drop in the ocean of mediocrity that is the rest of the album. It's not as downright awful as the last two albums but Muse now basically are an act for live shows and absolutely nothing else. It's not a bad thing of course, their shows are great, however it's a little sad to see a band empty of recording ideas and resorting to putting out this kinda stuff now.

Aftermath's opening 90 seconds and The Globalists mid section are some of the best things Muse has done. Matt needs to spend qualitative time on the lyrics next time around though. They're too predictable, cheesy & they bring the album down in parts.

I agree, its aimed at being played in a live setting but older Muse songs worked well too. For me, Muse are best when the create atmospheric music, anthemic was always secondary but it still came through naturally when you get something like Citizen Erased or Stockholm Syndrome. It was always about how frenetic & emotional the music was.

In Drones, the lyrics & narrative drive this album a bit too much for me. The album had to have a positive ending so you had to have a rousing song like Revolt in it. And its fun, lighthearted, easy to access for a lot of people. But it's chorus is so out of place on this record. And the titular track is just weird.

I sound pessimistic but I really do like this album. Its definitely their best work since BHaR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

In Drones, the lyrics & narrative drive this album a bit too much for me.

Its definitely their best work since BHaR.

These two points are my sentiments exactly.

Couldn't have described it better regarding the lyrics/narrative. I'm thoroughly enjoying this album, definitely their best since the BHaR era. But Matt's lyrics have always been cheesy and strange, just a pity it's quite overpowering on the album.

They weren't always this bad. When he's not being over literal, people are able to make up their own meanings for the songs.

Ah well...

The Reapers -> Handler -> JFK -> Defector sequence is the best on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Corholio wrote: »
    however it's a little sad to see a band empty of recording ideas and resorting to putting out this kinda stuff now.
    Haven't got the full album yet but I think the aim was to make a stripped down LA style rock album? The range of tone/technique in guitar and vocals puts them ahead of many other bands so I'm not sure the album is missing anything if that genre was their aim.

Personally I'm glad they're still a rock band and haven't disappeared up their own asses with this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

aphex™ wrote: »
    Haven't got the full album yet but I think the aim was to make a stripped down LA style rock album? The range of tone/technique in guitar and vocals puts them ahead of many other bands so I'm not sure the album is missing anything if that genre was their aim.

Personally I'm glad they're still a rock band and haven't disappeared up their own asses with this album.

In fairness, they are still making their way back down after the last two.

It's not a bad album really, but with recording ideas I meant songs that give you that Muse wow they used to have, which is quite a while ago now. If an LA style rock album was their aim, there's plenty other bands who have done it a lot better. I say this as a big Muse fan but unfortunately they stood still and then went backwards with recording music.

OK listened to the lot of it.

Dead Inside: Hated it at first but now quite like it up to the solo which is excellent. After that it gets boring.

Psycho: I liked this right from the start. Catchy.

Mercy: Despite loving the Queen sounding side of Muse I cant stand this. Reminds me of Follow Me from the last album which is my least favourite Muse song.

Reapers: Excellent. Prefer it live. Studio production is all over the place imo. Edit: CD on headphones sounds way better.

The Handler: Didn't think it was great at first but love it now. The middle finger tappy guitar bit is epic. Probably my favourite track. Edit:2nd favourite

JFK/Defector: Love/Hate this. Absolutely love the ridiculous energy of this but the song just doesn't flow. The 2 quiet verses sound awful. Edit: The whole thing is brilliant from start to finish. My favourite track. :)

Revolt: Imo, this is truly awful. Sounds like that highly produced punk/boyband shít from the early noughties.

Aftermath: Nice Pink Floydy intro turns into some sort of generic Christian rock sounding mush. WTF.

The Globalist: Intro is slightly drawn out but verses sound great and the heavy part sounds excellent. Great until the final 3rd.

Drones: Despite being all :p and WTF I don't find this as bad as Revolt and Aftermath.

I agree with the 2nd side being way weaker than the 1st. 4 really good songs, some good and some awful. The album as a whole is better than the last 2 but some of that old Muse epicness is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Haven't listed to the album yet but will do so later. Bit disappointed to read some of the thoughts on here though, but I guess everyone will form their own opinion on it.

I think a lot of bands struggle when they move from their roots (basic guitar-driven rock) into more complicated song structures, more instruments, more computer effects, synthesizers, even different styles of music - and then try and take a step back. It probably feels like dumbing down slightly. That's where the strength of their melodies and lyrics will shine through, and allow the songs to work even though they're more pared back than their recent output in the last few years, but as much as I love Muse I've always felt their moments of absolute genius are outweighed by the moments of mediocrity.

Still a fantastic live band though, one of the best I've seen.

^^^ Buy it! Its worth it for the Reapers/Handler/JFK/Defector sequence of tracks alone!
    Just dont be tempted to listen to Aftermath unless you like Bryan Adams. :p

^^^ Buy it! Its worth it for the Reapers/Handler/JFK/Defector sequence of tracks alone!
    Just dont be tempted to listen to Aftermath unless you like Bryan Adams. :p

Listen to the first 1:30 of Aftermath but then start screaming loudly from then on to drown the rest of it out :P

Listen to the first 1:30 of Aftermath but then start screaming loudly from then on to drown the rest of it out :P

Hehe. What do you reckon, their worse song ever? It's gotta be up there.

Actually, whats everyones least favourite Muse song.

• Advertisement

The Small Print for me. Or Big Freeze. Or I Belong To You. Or Drones... every other song I like.

Oh and Neutron Star Collision. I had almost erased that from memory

Advertisement