Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done Cabaal,

A hard day (and night, and part of another day).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Enduro wrote: »

I don't suppose there's any danger a few race reports? I'd love to read about the mental challenges you face and how you deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Enduro wrote: »

I think it's allowed. Not too many boardsies able to compete at the level you do ;)

Hey 24hrs will that just be like a short run for you???

Clearlier wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any danger a few race reports? I'd love to read about the mental challenges you face and how you deal with them.

Yeah, I really should write a quick one. Races like that are really all about the mental challenges!

• Advertisement

Hey 24hrs will that just be like a short run for you???

In hour one, yup, a nice short race. By hour 12, not so much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Super run yesterday by thomas kilmas at donadea 100km..7:38:xx

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Super run yesterday by thomas kilmas at donadea 100km..7:38:xx

That's a great time! Well done to Thomas, and well done Ultraman for putting on a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

One of the Irish contingent had a great run at Comrades last Sunday. Fiachra Geraghty ran 7:19 to finish 283rd with one a silver medal. Didn't bump into him there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Interview with Tony Mangan about the World Jog, worth a listen.

http://www.marathontalk.com/talk_ultra/episode_89_tony_mangan_kevin_carr.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Congratulations to Enduro, Irish national champion yet again!

http://www.nirunning.co.uk/Energia%20Results%202015.xls

How you did this so soon after that epic 6-day race I will never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Great stuff.

Looks like it was a very close and competitive race.

Was a master class in how it should be done....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As always, impressive stuff.
    I don't think I could mentally manage the running around the track for that long, 3miles in and I find I'm bored out of my tree on a running track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done Enduro. I second/third the requests for some race reports :)

Ed Mc also eighth overall in what I think was his debut 24 hours? We're in good company here on boards.

Thanks all!

It was a great tactical race, with lots going on throughout the whole thing. That's definitely what kept me occupied anyway! Delighted to have won, to say the least, as I wasn't exactly in optimal form.

Standards were up again this year, with an incredible number of people breaking 100 miles. A few good record breaking preformances out there too.

For anyone there who was watching the incredible speed that the winning relay team, DBRC - A, were doing, they set a new relay record of 309km (I think)... that's pretty close to Yannis Kouros' solo world record of 305km. From watching the speed DBRC were doing its awesome (in the true sense of the word) to witness the speed that Yannis managed to sustain for 24 hours.

Well done PabloT....winner of lakeland 100 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Well done PabloT....winner of lakeland 100 ...

Just saw an article on the journal about this - headline was something like "All-Ireland winning Cork hurler wins 100k trail race" - where are the comments from the anti GAA heads now ;)

Seriously though, great achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

kit3 wrote: »
    where are the comments from the anti GAA heads now ;)
    ... and to think that he did it all on the back of GAA training alone.... <cough>..
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

... and to think that he did it all on the back of GAA training alone.... <cough>..
    ;)

I am Sure the gaa training had no effect also cough cough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I am Sure the gaa training had no effect also cough cough. :)
    We can ask the man himself, if he shows up, but I'm sure it had little to no residual benefit. He retired from hurling 10 years ago and then took up triathlon. I'm sure he played hide and seek when he was a mere lad. Perhaps his superb achievement is as a result of his hide and seek skills?

I'm not part of the anti-GAA brigade. Just questioning the logic of attributing his ultra-running success to his GAA days. I'd say it's more than likely down to years of endurance/trail specific training. Shame to make this a tirade anyway. Better to focus on Paul's significant achievement, rather than using it as a flag-bearing opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well at least it was nice to see Cork win something this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Just to clarify, the first part of my post was very much tongue-in-cheek - I wouldn't for a minute think that the achievement was down to hurling training but found the headline funny.

As I said above, great achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

135 mile Badwater starting in Death Valley tomorrow. 'Our own' Carta is in the field this year. Wish him all the best, especially given the last two bits of news I saw about his prep on social media.

Whiskey shots prior to flying out West and forgetting to pack shorts.

Gotta love the lad. Give it your best shot P and come home safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Itziger wrote: »
    135 mile Badwater starting in Death Valley tomorrow. 'Our own' Carta is in the field this year. Wish him all the best, especially given the last two bits of news I saw about his prep on social media.

Whiskey shots prior to flying out West and forgetting to pack shorts.

Gotta love the lad. Give it your best shot P and come home safe.

Who did he play Hurling for?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

kit3 wrote: »
    but found the headline funny.

Me too, don't know why they didn't just say "Cork man wins....... ".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    Who did he play Hurling for?;)

That's a very good question Bel. Unfortunately the family are Na Piarsiagh (SP?) I believe, our closest rivals - We're Glen Rovers ourselves although incredibly two of my sisters married into that crowd. Don't know if Carta ever really played the stuff, went Stateside young enough.

(I understand your question was tongue in cheek but decided to respond anyway)

Not sure he'll be thinking of hurling training as he winds his way up the last 'hill'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did the Irish Rocky Meet the Polish Rocky at the Spartathlon last year?

Advertisement