Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Probably not a "bargain" as such. but handy to pick up; Tesco have a 20m coil of galvanised wire in with their gardening section at the moment for €2.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32333914123.html

I got this yesterday
    It's awesome
    You can set the angle its stable and the results are perfect
    Set of spare stones is 6 euros
    I have a lot of knives and can use an Indian oil stone pretty well but this system is simply foolproof

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

15 litre flat pack water containers with a tap only €1.75 in tesco Nenagh, also have single burner gas hob that take a gas cylinder reduced to €10ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Aldi this Thursday March 21st "Happy Camping" promotion.

Nothing to get that excited about but still some handy cheap camping stuff. I'll be taking a look at the one man tent (€26) and will probably buy one of the 3W CREE LED torches. I probably don't need another dry bag (44l €14) but might get one if the quality is good.

One thing I will take a look at is the folding BBQ (€13) to see if it will make a handy wood stove for cooking with dry drift wood off the beach. I think I looked at the same one in the UK (probably branded Gelert or Mountain/Peak something) and thought it was just a bit too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

my3cents wrote: »
    Aldi this Thursday March 21st "Happy Camping" promotion.

Nothing to get that excited about but still some handy cheap camping stuff. I'll be taking a look at the one man tent (€26) and will probably buy one of the 3W CREE LED torches. I probably don't need another dry bag (44l €14) but might get one if the quality is good.

One thing I will take a look at is the folding BBQ (€13) to see if it will make a handy wood stove for cooking with dry drift wood off the beach. I think I looked at the same one in the UK (probably branded Gelert or Mountain/Peak something) and thought it was just a bit too thin.

The dry bags are usually good quality alright, I've got a few knocking about and never been let down.

I thought the same thing about the bbq, looks very thin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

forgot to post about the aldi camping sale so thanks

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/

picked up the 1man hiking tent really light 1.5kgs!

davycc wrote: »
    forgot to post about the aldi camping sale so thanks

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/

picked up the 1man hiking tent really light 1.5kgs!

So get it pitched and let us know what you think.:)

The main things I want to know are a) does it have a separate fly sheet and if it does b) can it be pitched fly sheet first.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would also be interested in opinions on that tent please, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

So get it pitched and let us know what you think.:)

The main things I want to know are a) does it have a separate fly sheet and if it does b) can it be pitched fly sheet first.

Thanks

I spent last night in the tent got few showers of rain and no leaks.
    It has a separate flysheet but you have to put up inner first then attach fly on top. Has a single fibreglass hoop system.
    Seems well cut, drapes well and stitching is ok in general but in places looks a bit rushed but I have issues with webbing loops for the tent pegs. The webbing only extends to depth of hem which is only half inch .inner tent web loops only single line of stitching. I only saw this when it was hanging up to dry this afternoon.I don't think these will last frankly. Should be ok for occasional use but not for extended trip unless you are a seamstress!
    On other hand its really light and it looks very well.inner tent is mainly black mesh so easy to see out off with main flap open.
    All in all its a pity they tried to scrimp on the webbing otherwise it would be a great bargain.
    Hope this helps

Thanks. Was it comfortable in there? Could you lie out straight/turn over/sit up/lie on your front and read a book etc?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks. Was it comfortable in there? Could you lie out straight/turn over/sit up/lie on your front and read a book etc?

I had no problem lying out straight. I'm 180 cm and I had room behind my head for binos books some food etc. No prob either turning over or leaning up against pillow to read. Did not sit up cross legged if that's what you mean so don't know about that. I had the aldi self inflation matress under me( which was very comfortable) with room to spare .there is room for small day sack say 30l inside the tent i think .there is not much room in vestibule.
    Only issue was foot room . I take size 11 boots (I took them off) and found the lower end of tent a bit tight. Cut your toenails you will need the clearance!
    Getting in and out is awkward. I should have brought a plastic bag to crawl in and out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Picked up some bits for the first aid kit in lidl today.

They do there own brand of antiseptic cream, anti diarrhoea tablets , ibuprofen etc.

Also got a handy sports towel and a set of mountain biking gloves on special offer.

nice video review here of the aldi hiking tent, i still didnt get time to open mine yet :

Thanks for that.

Big enough, must throw mine up when the weather improves. I cant get mine to weigh more than 1.2 KG on any scale no matter how I balance it, even standing straight up in a saucepan directly on both scales, all parts and packaging present.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Big enough, must throw mine up when the weather improves. I cant get mine to weigh more than 1.2 KG on any scale no matter how I balance it, even standing straight up in a saucepan directly on both scales, all parts and packaging present.

How much do the pegs weigh? Often you can trim a good bit of weight replacing steel pegs with aluminium ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

nice video review here of the aldi hiking tent, i still didnt get time to open mine yet :

I wonder could you change the poles for aluminium ones? What length are the poles?

sheesh wrote: »
    I wonder could you change the poles for aluminium ones? What length are the poles?

as far as i read it only has one pole for the hoop:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as far as i read it only has one pole for the hoop:confused:

sorry, yeah pole, it's better to have a metal pole rather than fibreglass. I'm wondering if it would be worth getting a pole from another tent and using it instead.

It looks fine if it did the job and is light enough it would be great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An update video on the Aldi tent, the stitching is poor as are a few of the other bits. For that price, what do you expect though (and it can be modded).

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Thur 18th June Camping gear back again. http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=515 The 1kg sleeping bag looks ok for 14.99 euro ,but not temperature rated on advert.Should be ok for summer/tropical climate i'd say. http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26314

• Advertisement

Looks tempting.
    German site has more info
    Lidl.de
    Seems it rated to +5.5c Minimum
    +9.7 comfortable
    At least its same price here as in Germany.
    Unlike some of other offers - strange that (Schatzinzel?)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

With a 9.7 c comfortable level..looks like a july and august sleeping bag and if added fleece liner could use june and september also.

wolfeye wrote: »
    Thur 18th June Camping gear back again. http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=515 The 1kg sleeping bag looks ok for 14.99 euro ,but not temperature rated on advert.Should be ok for summer/tropical climate i'd say. http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26314

I use a sleeping bag on the ferry forward and back to uk. Saves me the £40 for a cabin. I saw that attachment on fb during the week. Makes sense

I use a sleeping bag on the ferry forward and back to uk. Saves me the £40 for a cabin. I saw that attachment on fb during the week. Makes sense

I do that run a few times every year and all I ever need is a polyester fleece blanket (Lidl) and a pillow even in winter.

I do that run a few times every year and all I ever need is a polyester fleece blanket (Lidl) and a pillow even in winter.

Do it every second weekend. Usually conpletely bate from work so i like the comfort of the sleeping bag

Do it every second weekend. Usually conpletely bate from work so i like the comfort of the sleeping bag

Irish ferries on the Pembroke Dock to Rosslare run I've never been cold enough to need a sleeping bag. I sleep better laid out across three seats than I do at home. Normally use the drivers lounge but never noticed anywhere else on the "boat" is any colder.

Irish ferries on the Pembroke Dock to Rosslare run I've never been cold enough to need a sleeping bag. I sleep better laid out across three seats than I do at home. Normally use the drivers lounge but never noticed anywhere else on the "boat" is any colder.

I go holyhead to dublin. Struggle for seating a lot so sleep on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

53 degrees north have a fathers day sale. 20% off a lot of stuff. Leathemans, torches, victorinox etc

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/father-s-day.html

If anyone is looking for one of those Aldi camping 40l rolling water barrels it might be worth checking Aldi's reduced section as had reduced the last few in my local one. Final sale price was €17 and their might be some left in some stores still.

• Advertisement

If anyone spots the one man tents reduced can they post asap? I don't really need one but if they reduce them a bit I'll be forced to buy one and I'd noticed that there are still a lot left in my local Aldi (15 -20) so they might just end up reduced?

Advertisement