Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The God dont matter referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Another reason is that if the Yes votes win, a child having two dads could lead to confusion..... I don't want that to happen to people.

What, like the way Jesus has 2 dads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Ban religious discussion from AH please. It's too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Trojan Donkey

What, like the way Jesus has 2 dads?

Explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

murphm45 wrote: »
    Your argument is fundamentally flawed, the reason being your assuming the church and state definition of marriage are one in the same. They're not. The key differentiation being divorce.

I'd like to think of myself as a relatively devout catholic and while I'm not 100% sure on how I'll vote yet I don't think I'm turning my back on God if I choose to vote yes. By voting no purely for the"good doesn't like it" reason I'm forcing my beliefs on others which I don't see as Christian.

Anyway AH response - troll much op?!

If you know God is true and believe in him then you should take his word seriously and follow what it says.

Marriage is clearly defined in God's word to be between man and women. A union which is blessed by God.

You cannot know God, follow him, trust in his word and still vote yes to gay marriage, it's hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Terrlock wrote: »
    If you know God is true and believe in him then you should take his word seriously and follow what it says.

Marriage is clearly defined in God's word to be between man and women. A union which is blessed by God.

You cannot know God, follow him, trust in his word and still vote yes to gay marriage, it's hypocrisy

and you cannot know what Gods word is unless he told you.

• Advertisement

That's fine for religious marriage, but you've no business preventing people from marrying in a civil ceremony since that has no bearing on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I'm voting NO. Because voting Yes won't get equality for everyone. Everyone has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. A man has the right to marry a woman and vice verse. Giving people the right to marry the same sex is like someone winning €1 million in the lottery and then turning around and saying that they don't want that they want €2 million.

Another reason is that if the Yes votes win, a child having two dads could lead to confusion, bullying, embarrassment, depression and maybe suicide. I don't want that to happen to people.
    And having two mothers would be different?

Explain.

Well, if you are new to Christianity, the most of it is that he is the some of God & also, the son of Joseph.

They shared custody though.

After 32 years & after Jesus had his resur-erection, he went to live with his dad in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Love is a wonderful thing. Regardless of what gender you are and what gender you fall in love with.

People shouldn't be penalised because they don't fit into "the accepted social norms". Whats "normal" these days anyway?

I would be confident that people of the same gender who marry and have / adopt children would do a fine job. No better or worse than the "conventional" family unit.

The Church and its opinions hold no weight with me. They frown upon contraception yet were responsible for horrors of the laundries, and priests fiddling with kids.

"God" didn't mind that stuff, now did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

macker33 wrote: »
    Lets not forget all the good the cathlic church has done for this country while gays have done nothing but embarrass us.

We'll never know, because they would've been afraid to come out.

• Advertisement

Well, if you are new to Christianity, the most of it is that he is the some of God & also, the son of Joseph.

Jesus is not the son of Joseph. Mary was chosen to give birth to Jesus who was the incarnation of God on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Of course!

No. It would be the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Another reason is that if the Yes votes win, a child having two dads could lead to confusion, bullying, embarrassment, depression and maybe suicide. I don't want that to happen to people.

Voting no may lead to the same confusion, embarrassment, depression and maybe suicide for (young) gay people who will feel that they, and the people they love, are somehow lesser/not worthy in the eyes of their fellow citizens. Same for those who currently have same sex parents.
    I don't want that to happen to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

After 32 years & after Jesus had his resur-erection, he went to live with his dad in the sky.
    The world's first and longest term surrogate child. :)

Jesus is not the son of Joseph. Mary was chosen to give birth to Jesus who was the incarnation of God on earth.

Kinda blasphemous there friendo!

Catholics deem Jesus was indeed devine, but separate from god.
    During Christ's life, god appeared to others separately.

Meanwhile back at the carpenters shop, joseph did refer to Jesus as his son & likewise Jesus referred to Joseph as his father.

2,000 years later Jesus still hasn't moved out of 'Space Dad's' gaff in heaven.
    The word is that its putting a strain between god & his girlfriend Karen, whoem God is trying to get to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

which one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

and still vote yes to gay marriage, it's hypocrisy

In my book, hypocrisy is saying "think of the children" and forgetting the abuse, physical/mental/sexual that was done on the "children" by the clergy. Or are Gay rights only for the Clergy

Tasden wrote: »
    Voting no may lead to the same confusion, embarrassment, depression and maybe suicide for (young) gay people who will feel that they, and the people they love, are somehow lesser/not worthy in the eyes of their fellow citizens. Same for those who currently have same sex parents.
    I don't want that to happen to people.

Have you any idea about the amount of proud gay people coming out on TV? No embarrassment there. And if suicide was a problem within the gay community, we wouldn't have nonsensical referendums trying to ruin this country now would we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

What was the name of that disciple that Jesus loved? ;)

• Advertisement

Kinda blasphemous there friendo!

Catholics deem Jesus was indeed devine, but separate from god.
    During Christ's life, god appeared to others separately.

Meanwhile back at the carpenters shop, joseph did refer to Jesus as his son & likewise Jesus referred to Joseph as his father.

2,000 years later Jesus still hasn't moved out of 'Space Dad's' gaff in heaven.
    The word is that its putting a strain between god & his girlfriend Karen,whoem God is trying to get to move in.

Please stop making snarky comments at the ends of your posts. People aren't going to take you seriously with that kind of behaviour.

EDIT: You mean heresy, not blasphemy. Also, the Catholic Church's teachings differ substantially from the Bible's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What was the name of that disciple that Jesus loved? ;)
    Mary Magdalene?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

:confused: Sure if two gays lads have a kid through a surrogate, one of them will be the biological dad. Therefore he will be lad A's son. Like Jebus and God.

However, if lad B rears him (lets say for 30 years or so...), he would also have the right to call the lad his son.

So, therefore, yup, Jebus had two dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mary Magdalene?
    There was another one, can't remember his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Please stop making snarky comments at the ends of your posts. People aren't going to take you seriously with that kind of behaviour.

And they're going to pay serious attention to grown adults that believe in a glorious sky wizard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm voting NO. Because voting Yes won't get equality for everyone. Everyone has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. A man has the right to marry a woman and vice verse. Giving people the right to marry the same sex is like someone winning €1 million in the lottery and then turning around and saying that they don't want that they want €2 million.

That's some excellent logic there. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

There was another one, can't remember his name.

Peter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

:confused: Sure if two gays lads have a kid through a surrogate, one of them will be the biological dad. Therefore he will be lad A's son. Like Jebus and God.

However, if lad B rears him (lets say for 30 years or so...), he would also have the right to call the lad his son.

So, therefore, yup, Jebus had two dads.

If he adopts him he currently has the right to call him son. Something that will not change with the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What would Jesus do?
    From the New testament (Corinthians):
    Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with menURL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%206&version=NIV#fen-NIV-28477a"]a[/URL 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were.

Then again in the New testament (Timothy):
    We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Cathlic' church? :D

C'mon Macker. At least get that bit right!

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement