Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote for Nigel Farage?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

No, because all I really know about him is that he's anti- Europe and I'm pro. Oh, and that he likes booze and fags, that seems to be very important to everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I never trust a politician who pretends there's an easy solution to political and social problems. It makes me very suspicious... I'm from a country that fell for that line before, and got badly burned. Literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No. UKIP just appeals to the lowest common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I think he personally seems alright and has made a few points i'd agree with, As a party though no way would i consider voting UKIP, definitely a sinister element to the party and no doubt in my mind a hell of a lot of it's members and in fact those standing for election are indeed racist. I also think Britain would be shooting itself in the foot of it leaves the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I'm not a fan of anti-EU policies but he's the only politician who is serious about tacking the deficit so I would consider voting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dinorebel wrote: »
    No but would have a pint with him.

He wouldn't want you in his pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

UKIP would lead Britain out of Europe which would be an unmitigated disaster, despite the little Englander "They took our jobs" mentality that is so worryingly prevalent, it would kill trade & investment and plunge the UK into a 1970's style recession, where there would be no jobs to take.

I worry greatly that an unhealthy combination of the DUP & UKIP will be able to prop up a minority Tory government and thus give them both a disproportionate amount of leverage & power.

http://www.cer.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/attachments/pdf/2014/pb_britishtrade_16jan14-8285.pdf

This is a good read if you are interested in the benefits t the UK staying in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

[REQ] thread title change to 'Are you a closeted racist?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

endabob1 wrote: »
    UKIP would lead Britain out of Europe which would be an unmitigated disaster, despite the little Englander "They took our jobs" mentality that is so worryingly prevalent, it would kill trade & investment and plunge the UK into a 1970's style recession, where there would be no jobs to take.
    Conjecture, but then again so is "it will be ok to leave EU".

biko wrote: »
    Conjecture, but then again so is "it will be ok to leave EU".

Which bit is conjecture?

UKIP's clearly stated policy is to take Britain out of Europe

That it would be a disaster is substantiated by a detailed report.

Farage saying "We will renegotiate the terms" is the vague nonsense that appears to be allowable without criticism or questioning.
    Where as the process of renegotiation would take years as it would not just be with the EU but rather with all of the trade partners that the EU has agreements with, and the UK (like Ireland and the rest of the EEA) currently trade advantageously under.
    While that process is taking place uncertainty would create an environment that would lead to investment being taken to safer havens putting pressure on the currency and subsequently inflation, cost of exports etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Which bit is conjecture?

UKIP's clearly stated policy is to take Britain out of Europe

Farage saying "We will renegotiate the terms" is the vague nonsense that appears to be allowable without criticism or questioning.
    Where as the process of renegotiation would take years as it would not just be with the EU but rather with all of the trade partners that the EU has agreements with, and the UK (like Ireland and the rest of the EEA) currently trade advantageously under.
    While that process is taking place uncertainty would create an environment that would lead to investment being taken to safer havens putting pressure on the currency and subsequently inflation, cost of exports etc....

It is irrelevant, because UKIP will not get many seats and Nigel Farage will not be Prime Minister.

If Labour and the Tories were any good, Farage would not be getting any air time at all

Which bit is conjecture?

The bolded bit.

Biased site below but feel free to present equally biased proof for your own POV. Perhaps a Guardian article?
    http://www.betteroffout.net/the-case/10-eu-myths-about-withdrawl/

Just in paragraph 1 there is both factual errors and a nice subtle editing of the facts

- If Britain withdrew from the EU it would preserve the benefits of trade with the EU by imposing a UK/EU Free Trade Agreement

– Moreover, the Lisbon Treaty stipulates that the EU must make a trade agreement with a country which leaves the EU.

Do you see the subtle difference in the wording here, It must make an agreement, but not necessarily a free trade agreement.

Why would the EU allow free trade with the UK?
    The article tells us why, Because
    - The EU sells a lot more to us than we sell to them. In 2011 there was a trade deficit of nearly £50bn, which had risen to £109.2bn by 2014. It seems unlikely that the EU would seek to disrupt a trade which is so beneficial to itself.

This is true (except the numbers are wrong in 2014 it was £72m)
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/uk-trade-statistics-with-countries-in-the-european-union-december-2014

but even with the disparity, who is in the position of strength the EU (GDP $15.8 Trillion without the UK) or the UK ($2.7 Trillion) who is going to be able to call the shots on the trade agreements....

Also since the UK economy has lost its traditional manufacturing base (of the 72m defict is in 3 categories of Electrical, mechanical & Vehicle manufacturing) so much of the economy is reliant on financial services, it's highly probable that Frankfurt as the biggest trading centre in the new EU (post UK pull out) would attract far more investment.

Point is moot now - Farage has stepped down from UKIP leadership having failed to gain the seat of Thanet Sout
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32633719

Advertisement