Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The best revenge is to win the next one - whether it's at senior or under 21 - don't be giving them any sour grapes ammunition in the papers - just bottle it and use it against them the next time by winning.

Let the media and GAA deal with laws and fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Surprised at Bergin - what if some of his teammates or their family members are gay? Strange risk to take - he's entitled to his opinion but...politics and sport shouldn't mix in that kind of manner. And, I'd agree, not in a Tipp jersey

My opinion of him has lessened since I read that. Not the he's pro no, politically I disagree with him but that's democracy, but because he must know he's somewhat famous and his meddling in politics could very well sway some voters who are fans of Bergin but apathetic about the referendum.

http://balls.ie/gaa/the-hostile-reaction-to-tipperary-refusing-to-let-tyrone-manager-into-losing-dressing-room/

Tipp shouldn't have blocked the Tyrone manager from going into the dressing room. It's not on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

https://soundcloud.com/dfrehill/fergal-logan-tyrone-interview-sunday-sport

Not sure what he was doing bringing the Tipp hurlers into the situation, hardly the most cynical bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Loughnane wrote off Tipp hurlers tonight as to be forever nearly men

For many this is an ostrich thread, how can you have harmony in the camp when a player is dropped from the panel after 15 years sterling service and retires from inter county the following day. Very badly handled. We will not have to wait too long before the effects are to be seen.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    For many this is an ostrich thread, how can you have harmony in the camp when a player is dropped from the panel after 15 years sterling service and retires from inter county the following day. Very badly handled. We will not have to wait too long before the effects are to be seen.

Who knew Nigel Pearson was a Tipp man? :P Tell me this so, did it effect Kilkenny when similar situations arose with Charlie Carter? Andy Comerford? Philly Larkin?

Eamon O'Shea had a tough decision to make but made it on the basis of what his role was, to do the very best for Tipperary hurling and pick the best players available to him. I feel Paul should have been more realistic last year to be honest. Great player and terrific servant but we have an abundance of young and hungry players that had passed him out in the pecking order. For him to comeback served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Surely he should have followed the same lead as Johno and Eoin?

Loughnane wrote off Tipp hurlers tonight as to be forever nearly men

He is becoming a parody of himself at this stage. A Clare version of Babs if you will. Not content with getting caught putting his foot in his mouth last year with his proclamation that Clare of 4 all irelands in the 130 year history of the GAA 'wont fall away like Tipp'. Then they were knocked out by Wexford. And he still hasnt learned.

Id be more focused on the turmoil in his own county at the moment if i were him. The lads who represented them to the All ireland title 2 years ago are dropping like flies. They were relegated from 1A and only managed to win 1 game. They couldnt even beat a severely depleted Kilkenny side the first day out.

So he hates Tipp, big fúckin deal. As long as he is continuing to make a show of himself with his outrageous statements then we'll continue to get a good chuckle out of it.

http://balls.ie/gaa/the-hostile-reaction-to-tipperary-refusing-to-let-tyrone-manager-into-losing-dressing-room/

Tipp shouldn't have blocked the Tyrone manager from going into the dressing room. It's not on

Drilling your team to go out and grab players by the balls and cynically foul them isnt on either. Fúck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Eamon O'Shea had a tough decision to make

I agree but could have handled it better.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Curran was given a fair few games, due to injuries it has to be said, fail;ed to take the chance. Paul Curran had nothing to prove to anyone expect himself - he gave it a lash - it didn't work out... - he can always say it gave it one more try. He's got spine - always did and always will. Great player for Tipp. Curran has lost no credit.

• Advertisement

I like to hear it from Loughers. Every little bit of motivation helps - particularly calling players nearly men and finished - that should get some lads motivated.

Any word on Noel McGrath? I heard he was out for the year - but, this person, while a club hurler, was not from Loughmore.

In fairness you've no proof he actually trained lads to do that? Or do you?

That's a player's decision I would argue...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Have to agree with people saying that our management should have let the Tyrone manager in. The vast majority are criticising the tactics they employ, not letting him into the dressing room just gives him something to throw back in our face.

Have to agree with people saying that our management should have let the Tyrone manager in. The vast majority are criticising the tactics they employ, not letting him into the dressing room just gives him something to throw back in our face.

A fair point too but id be absolutely raging if i had to witness that despicable carry on for an hour and then for this man to hypocritically come into the dressing room with his false words of encouragement i personally dont think i could stomach it.

In fairness you've no proof he actually trained lads to do that? Or do you?

That's a player's decision I would argue...

Sadly, its embedded in the culture up the north. Their senior players are at it with years. Joe Brolly regularly gives regular anecdotes of incidents he witnesses in underage club games. Its about stopping the other team from playing first

Why are you holding the manager responsible for every action action of the players?

That's true - but that's a widespread culture of football issue and one that has produced All-Ireland. It's up to the gaa to clamp down on it - but, I would argue Kerry can be just as negative...Kerry had no choice but to adapt if they were going to win games...Dublin seemed to have found a way around it

Tyrone have some magnificent exponents of the game too...as do all teams up North

Brolly is over-the-top

Why are you holding the manager responsible for every action action of the players?

Because its embedded in the coaching up there. Cynical nasty shít. No young player would naturally have this in their game. Youngsters follow the example that adults set. it would be naive to assume otherwise. Its well documented how embedded in the culture of gaelic football up the North of ireland this behaviour is and Tyrone are noted for it.

Think about it, why would a team and especially a young team decide to approach a game like this collectively? and against the wishes of the mentors and trainers? Not a hope. Its part of the coaching culture and a disease which has riddled the game.

The headless chicken administration are too busy trying to get players banned for stupid things or even non-existing fouls to even care to do anything about this behaviour

That's true - but that's a widespread culture of football issue and one that has produced All-Ireland. It's up to the gaa to clamp down on it - but, I would argue Kerry can be just as negative...Kerry had no choice but to adapt if they were going to win games...Dublin seemed to have found a way around it

Tyrone have some magnificent exponents of the game too...as do all teams up North

Brolly is over-the-top

Ah come on you seem an intelligent guy generally are you honestly suggesting that the end justifies the means?? For us as GAA fans to tolerate this evil cancer that is spreading throughout the game is the death knell for the sport. The association need to take their head out of their arse and do something about it NOW. They dragged their heels on the Anthony Nash issue for long enough as an example so i wont hold my breath.

I never said Tyrone havent got good footballers. They have terrific players and some terrific players on display Saturday night without resorting to this shíte. Brolly admittedly can be one sided in his views but when a team is sent out with the primary focus of cynically apprehending the opposition then the future of the games faces a serious threat.

Surprised at Bergin - what if some of his teammates or their family members are gay? Strange risk to take - he's entitled to his opinion but...politics and sport shouldn't mix in that kind of manner. And, I'd agree, not in a Tipp jersey

Well personally i admire and respect Bergin for having the courage to publicly get off the fence and have his opinion. Why should he be a robot off the field? I dont particularly share his views but ill defend the right for him to have them.

Im going to assume that the general consensus i for a yes vote. if Bergin was to go with the majority then no one would bat an eyelid. Hell there wasnt one word about Babs urging people to vote yes a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I think you're going over board - Cancer...

This is football - there's always been tough hard teams - every decade - teams will always push boundaries and lines - happens all the time - no matter what the sport.

This is nothing new - and teams like Tyrone are nothing new...

Whether its Meath in 90s, Kilkenny in 00s, Galway in the 80s - certain teams always bring edge and go over board at times - that's sport.

I think you're going over board - Cancer...

This is football - there's always been tough hard teams - every decade - teams will always push boundaries and lines - happens all the time - no matter what the sport.

This is nothing new - and teams like Tyrone are nothing new...

Whether its Meath in 90s, Kilkenny in 00s, Galway in the 80s - certain teams always bring edge and go over board at times - that's sport.

Robust and uncompromising i can handle but for players to conscientiously go out with the intention of using dirty underhand tactics to put good players off their game is just not on. This is a whole new level we are witnessing and sadly its bearing fruit while the Association stand idly by and scratch their arse.

Babs is not a representative of Tipperary at present...that brings responsibilities.

For as long as I'm watching sport I can remember teams targeting the better players - whether it was the crazy gang with Vinny Jones and Fashnu or Roy Keane or Martin O'Connell at Meath or Tony Delaney with Toomevara or Eoin Kelly getting leathered at underage games - always happened, always will happen.

The rules will change and a new form of trying to put a player off will come - whether its verbal, biting, tripping, or kicking, sly digs, or talk - it will always be there in some fashion - rugby hockey or hurling - it's the way it will always be

It's quite interesting actually - when you consider Tipp had that reputation with Hell's Kitchen - how counties evolve from nasty reps to soft reps and what not... - what becomes important in the way a county or club teaches its players to play...the cork hurlers now....they used to have a very tough team...they look like they wouldn't break an egg these days

For as long as I'm watching sport I can remember teams targeting the better players - whether it was the crazy gang with Vinny Jones and Fashnu or Roy Keane or Martin O'Connell at Meath or Tony Delaney with Toomevara or Eoin Kelly getting leathered at underage games - always happened, always will happen.

The rules will change and a new form of trying to put a player off will come - whether its verbal, biting, tripping, or kicking, sly digs, or talk - it will always be there in some fashion - rugby hockey or hurling - it's the way it will always be

It's quite interesting actually - when you consider Tipp had that reputation with Hell's Kitchen - how counties evolve from nasty reps to soft reps and what not... - what becomes important in the way a county or club teaches its players to play...the cork hurlers now....they used to have a very tough team...they look like they wouldn't break an egg these days

A fair post. Its getting everyone to buy into the system of cleanness and fairness is the big challenge but there has to come a time when those who do things fairly have to stand up and say enough is enough. We dont want overfussy refereeing but the use of cameras to issue retrospective bans would be one step in the right direction. Also the culture needs to change from grassroots up.

GAA need to teach youngsters from a young age as if it is a martial art. Respect for the game, respect for the opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Well personally i admire and respect Bergin for having the courage to publicly get off the fence and have his opinion. Why should he be a robot off the field? I dont particularly share his views but ill defend the right for him to have them.

Im going to assume that the general consensus i for a yes vote. if Bergin was to go with the majority then no one would bat an eyelid. Hell there wasnt one word about Babs urging people to vote yes a few weeks ago.

Nobody has an issue with Bergin having an opinion or voicing that opinion.
    However, there's a difference when he's using his profile as a tipp player wearing the jersey as part of a campaign.

I didn't like the way the ref who's name escapes me was ordered by the authorities not to wear some rainbow armband. He was on Marion finucane and basically admitted it was in ref to the upcoming referendum.

Sport and politics don't mix well. It's why I thought uefa were out of order in 92 kicking out Yugoslavia.

It's easy have a photo taken and allow a political group circulate it. I'd be curious to see him debate the issue....which he should be capable of if he's throwing his weight behind the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Robust and uncompromising i can handle but for players to conscientiously go out with the intention of using dirty underhand tactics to put good players off their game is just not on.

Tbf it's being going on for years and not just the Tyrone footballers. I've posted here before about Jackie tyrell flaking the sh1t of lar up and down the pitch in 2011. And I absolutely hate it myself. None of us when we start our GAA careers wanting to be a ryan mc menemin. We wanna be a pat fox or a Nicky English.

Our backs are no choirboys either. Paudie maher case in point. That pull on the kk lad in 2012 was nasty. Finished his career I think....

digzy wrote: »
    Nobody has an issue with Bergin having an opinion or voicing that opinion.
    However, there's a difference when he's using his profile as a tipp player wearing the jersey as part of a campaign.

I didn't like the way the ref who's name escapes me was ordered by the authorities not to wear some rainbow armband. He was on Marion finucane and basically admitted it was in ref to the upcoming referendum.

Sport and politics don't mix well. It's why I thought uefa were out of order in 92 kicking out Yugoslavia.

It's easy have a photo taken and allow a political group circulate it. I'd be curious to see him debate the issue....which he should be capable of if he's throwing his weight behind the campaign.

Admitedly ill agree that Kieran Bergin the person should separate himself from Kieran Bergin the Tipperary hurler because tbf it could be construed as Tipperary GAA urging for a No vote as there is people who might jump to that conclusion.

From what i know, Bergin and his family are very very staunch catholics so any argument he would make id imagine would be backboned by catholic beliefs. Now im not a religious man myself so i personally am not in agreement with him but i respect his prinicples.

Very close game in the shc tonight. Nenagh 1-30 to Ballina 0-7 points

5227834041_0654399507.jpg

• Advertisement

An equally closer game in the SFC where Kilsheelan beat Tom mcdonaghs 6-12 to 1-11.

Was there many county men involved does anyone know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement