Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'd go insane if I had to sit in that level of traffic trying to get into town. Yellow House to the quays, not nice. I enjoyed the tailwind on my commute across the city. : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was just a simple break down on the quays that caused all that mayhem, according to Livedrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It was just a simple break down on the quays that caused all that mayhem, according to Livedrive.

Someone went out without a boot or energy gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'd go insane if I had to sit in that level of traffic trying to get into town. Yellow House to the quays, not nice. I enjoyed the tailwind on my commute across the city. : )

Me too. The sheer stubbornness of people insisting on driving into the city alone every morning never ceases to amaze me.

I admire their mental fortitude, it can't be easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Me too. The sheer stubbornness of people insisting on driving into the city alone every morning never ceases to amaze me.
    i have found, that when faced with complaints from colleagues about the level of traffic, that responding with 'you're complaining about a problem you are helping create' doesn't go down too well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i have found, that when faced with complaints from colleagues about the level of traffic, that responding with 'you're complaining about a problem you are helping create' doesn't go down too well.

I have driven in on a rare occasion. I just don't get the fuss or stress. It does annoy me when I see the line of Mercs skipping the queue and delaying me or the Audis running lights and cutting out in front of people but the truth is, when I do drive, I leave earlier, i know that traffic is bad, so if possible I leave early enough to avoid it altogether or at least leave early enough that even with the delay of sitting in it, I will be in work on time.

The others above annoy me because they hadn't the decency to leave on time and are inflicting the delay they should feel on others but it still doesn't affect me as I know its going to happen and allow for it.

if your annoyed at sitting in traffic, you have two parties to blame, yourself and those who break the rules, unfortunately, the second group will always be there, so you are always going to be annoyed (until hey bring in red light cameras, bus lane cameras and fines)

Have to say I love driving into town (or used to when I had a car) - it's gorgeous to sit there in your comfy padded chair, listening to nice music or shouting happily at the radio, moving along with the traffic as it moves.
    Nice cycling too, obv.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Caller on Liveline now complaining about a builder she contracted to renovate her house.

Joe: ..and where did you hear about him ?
    Caller: On Boards.ie!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Newbie in need of advice! Very close to buying my first bike ahead of the Ring of Kerry this year. Anxious to get out training ASAP! I was looking for a second hand bike for around 500 (see here!). But I'm beginning to realise I'll probably need plenty of other gear too: shoes, shorts, jersey, glasses, one of these boots ye're on about...! For a non-competitive / beginner cyclist such as myself, is it worth spending 500-or-so on just the bike? There are some basic bikes for half that price on adverts.ie, but they're less well regarded brands, like this Carrera, and this Viking. Would there really be that much difference between them? Any tips? Thanks.

Hope it's okay to post this here

Snobbery got the best of me and I bought the most 'expensive' one I could afford (599). Genesis Volant 00. It's probably not the best bike in the world but it's too late for that now! Here goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    huh. My commute was far lighter than normal. Maybe all the northsiders stayed over on the southside last night?

Huge amount of thefts reported southside this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hmmzis wrote: »
    It was all gridlocked from Terenure to the Quays.
    Alek wrote: »
    :D
    Traffic from Harold's X bridge all the way to the queues was the worst _EVER_
    Yellow House to the quays, not nice. I enjoyed the tailwind on my commute across the city.
    buffalo wrote: »
    huh. My commute was far lighter than normal. Maybe all the northsiders stayed over on the southside last night?
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

north-vs-south-smackdown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

Funny thing is, back in the day (18th century), it was the well-off east side versus the gutty west side of Dublin that was the divide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Funny thing is, back in the day (18th century), it was the well-off east side versus the gutty west side of Dublin that was the divide.

I would argue it still is…*

Although as a culchie who's lived all around I don't have a hat in the ring!

gadetra wrote: »
    I would argue it still is…*

Although as a culchie who's lived all around I don't have a hat in the ring!

Nah, it's one part of the west side against another part of the west side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of thefts from Sandyford, Lepardstown, Dún Laoghaire, Milltown area's here, and rarely (touch wood) northside Dublin.

Seem's Southside DART & LUAS stations are hardest hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The smugness in this thread is in overload.

Sure get in a break and get up the road and you won't have to deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Speaking of smug, I took great pleasure in commuting on open corsas this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Was hit by a car yesterday, fortunately nothing major and Im still trying to figure out how I stayed upright but my god one of the witnesses was drunk an obviously outside having a smoke when it happened..could not get him to leave the scene despite numerous attempts :| I appreciate the concern but harassing the driver is no help to me :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Well, I reported a driver for running a red and almost knocking my kid down, so I wait the results with baited breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Got a call from the school earlier - little guy has a nose bleed. So collected him and, no wanting to waste a moment, set about replacing a badly worn out bottom bracket on the beater over lunch - nice shiny new Ultegra one now sits there. Missus came back so headed back to work.

As and aside, on the way back into work there's cars triple parked at St. Stephen's Green East. So one car in the parking bay, one in the cycle lane, and another in the traffic lane. About 12 - 15 cars in total breaking the law.

I've raised this with the particular school and the Gardai previously and got no-where. This takes ignorance to a new level - totally ridiculous people can get away with this in the city center.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Got a call from the school earlier - little guy has a nose bleed. So collected him and, no wanting to waste a moment, set about replacing a badly worn out bottom bracket on the beater over lunch - nice shiny new Ultegra one now sits there. Missus came back so headed back to work.

As and aside, on the way back into work there's cars triple parked at St. Stephen's Green East. So one car in the parking bay, one in the cycle lane, and another in the traffic lane. About 12 - 15 cars in total breaking the law.

I've raised this with the particular school and the Gardai previously and got no-where. This takes ignorance to a new level - totally ridiculous people can get away with this in the city center.:mad:

"Ah shure they're not harming anybody are they? You weren't killed or anything like..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Its a dodgy piece of road as it is with cars/buses coming up from behind you and the left turning traffic! Take pictures of all the offenders are report them..

..again :mad:

I admire their mental fortitude, it can't be easy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/special-reports/commuter-test-which-is-faster-bus-bike-or-car-we-find-out-31173662.html

This segment was in the Indo during the week. When you hear the cyclist talking about the Lady Miranda, it gives you an indication. There was a picture of him in the paper - elderly gentleman on a normal straight handle bar bike. And broke only one light. :cool:

I echo your sentiments - the traffic from where I live (Carpenterstown) to the Cit Center would put one of those Japanese endurance game shows to shame.

One of my colleagues quite likes spending the best part of a working day in it per week - "ah sure, you couldn't be without the car". Well, actually, you could:D

Zyzz wrote: »
    Its a dodgy piece of road as it is with cars/buses coming up from behind you and the left turning traffic! Take pictures of all the offenders are report them..

..again :mad:

Yeah got a few snaps. What is really annoying in the morning is that people will abandon the car in the cycle lane when there's one or two off street parking spaces available - it makes no difference, they run an equal chance (i.e none obviously) of being clamped in the bay or the cycle lane.

And this is the lesson their giving to their young children, which makes it more depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It is madness. Would anyone fancy a flashmob-style event to take over the space with bikes for a day? This might spur the Gardai and/or the school to take some action.

And in other news, I caught 10 minutes of Liveline today, with a sensible female cyclist saying sensible things about the need to protect cyclists and keep cars out of the buslanes, even during the bus strike. She was sensibly encouraging people to take out their bikes tomorrow.

So Joe played the 'road tax' card himself.

What might go some way to getting the message home is that if 20 or so cyclists stop on this particular stretch of bike lane at around 8.20 am - just on time for the school drop off. Of course you'll get horrified and entitled parents arriving in their cars, but I can't see any other way of getting the message home. I was considering getting a few flyers done for windscreen wipers, but these are likely to be discarded and cause a litter issue.

Another thing that's getting on my t!ts lately is motorbikes in bus and cycle lanes - especially the latter. I don't really have an issue with them once they do so responsibly, but had some Barry Sheen wannabe behind me the other morning - revving his engine loudly and aggressively. I was obviously holding his 300km/hr machine up. Of course, that just happened to coincide with the gentler part of my commute, so he followed me all the way along Kevin street to the Luas tracks, revving all the way, where he took off (in the mandatory bike lane) at an insane speed.

I happened to catch him at the shelbourne at the lights where i congratulated him for his display. Motorbike helmets seem to muffle what people say - his reply sounded something like "muck off". Charming chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RainyDay wrote: »
    ... about the need to protect cyclists and keep cars out of the buslanes, even during the bus strike...
    There seems to be a perception among radio presenters and listeners that just because 2 bus companies may be on strike, the bus lanes should be unrestricted. Are the not aware of the many other bus companies using the lanes, not to mention cyclists and SPSV's.
    ...I was considering getting a few flyers done for windscreen wipers, but these are likely to be discarded and cause a litter issue...
    The placing of windsreeen flyers was made illegal many years ago.

• Advertisement

The placing of windsreeen flyers was made illegal many years ago.

Fair enough. Maybe a bucket of wallpaper paste is called for then. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement