Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacks; Rucksacks and/or Suitcase queries

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Duff wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, not sure on how much clothes to bring, I usually pack way too much even when I'm going for a weekend away..:rolleyes:

When my 55l is full it was pretty heavy. Buy a smaller bag and even if you fill it, it won't be too bad. I would also try them on as it's hard to judge from looking online how comfortable it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkleo

I use a 70+10l for interrailing. I keep in it a lot of stuff so to wash it rarely. If you wash your clothes more often you could go with a smaller one, and this would be better.
    Also note that, if the bag is good quality, once you have it on your back correctly in place and with the correct setting you won't feel too much weight. I bought mine for 140 euros, if it helps knowing, and am very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bluemagpie

I'd recommend a smaller bag, I used 40l expandable by 10l for a year and it was grand. You can pick up anything you need around the place but you are just not going to need that much, you can wash stuff as you go. I had trekking boots, cold and hot weather gear in the bag too. Definitely buy a decent brand, loads of them out there deuter, osprey, berghaus etc are all grand, have a look at the sizes in the shops but 70l is a lot of gear, and very heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

corkleo wrote: »
    I use a 70+10l for interrailing. I keep in it a lot of stuff so to wash it rarely. If you wash your clothes more often you could go with a smaller one, and this would be better.
    Also note that, if the bag is good quality, once you have it on your back correctly in place and with the correct setting you won't feel too much weight. I bought mine for 140 euros, if it helps knowing, and am very happy with it.

It's grand if you have a trolley handy for wheeling around big bags or maybe if you're just doing a couple of transfers. I can't imagine it being comfortable if you wanna be quick and light on your feet. We were able to jump into a cab with our bags without having to put them into the boot and it was really handy in dodgy looking places where one might worry about the driver going off with your luggage in the trunk. It was also great when we had to walk around to find our accommodation. In SE Asia easy to get on a tuk tuk with a small bag than large cases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Check out the Berghaus one I bought above.
    It's 43L + 8L if needed so really 52L. That's well enough. I'm only small so don't want a big heavy yoke!
    70L is WAAAAY too big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Aldi backpacks for travelling? I'm planning on doing a 6 month trip in SE Asia early next year and I just spotted this in the special buys in Aldi this Thursday.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-26th-june/products-detail-page/ps/p/trekking-backpack/

Would it be foolish to cheap out on a backpack? Potential bargain alert though if the quality is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

A tried & tested Bargain in my book!

I used to do a lot of camping, hiking etc with scouts at various different levels.
    I still have a rucksack I got in Aldi a few years back (must be ~10 yrs now :eek:) that has seen me through a fair few adventures.

It is comfortable to carry, doesn't sweat the back off me, and has stayed fully intact, zips and all.

All depends on your level of expectations I suppose.
    You're not buying North Face product, or paying NF prices; so you can't expect the same quality, finish and small features, but it should definitely do the job :)

Best advice would be to go into a couple of outdoor shops (Rambler's way; Trespass; Great Outdoors etc) check out varying priced bags, try them on, figure out what you like and want.
    Then go to Aldi and see how their bag lines up.
    From my experience the Aldi rucksacks will probably be as good as the rucksacks up for around €80 in the shops.
    example: http://trespass.ie/accessories/bags/trek-66-66-litre-rucksack.html

If you want a top of the range rucksack, there is no cheap alternative.
    Mid-range, Aldi is your man!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Looking for a recommendation for backpack too guys.
    Gonna be travelling around europe for a few weeks so looking to get one.
    Browsing through the argos website I imagine something like this would be far too big
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9152021/Trail/searchtext%3EBACKPACK.htm

Judging by the comments here.

Also would anyone be able to hazard a guess to the size of this?
    Litres wise.thanks
    plecak1m.jpgplecak5m.jpg

Looks big enough. I'd guess about 65L.

I got a Berghaus Verden 45L last year. Paid about €80 delivered. Well worth it. Such a comfortable backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Hi,

I'm heading interrailing with 2 friends in June for 10 days, and am unsure what backpack to bring.
    We have some old hiking/camping backpacks in the house, but they seem excessively big for 10 days, and much too long to be allowed in Ryanair cabins.
    So, I've been searching online and have been finding the whole thing quite confusing.
    What size should I be going for? 30l? 50l?
    Bear in mind I would like to fit it in the Ryanair cabins, don't really fancy checking it in.
    I also think I'm able to pack fairly light.
    Does anybody know of where I could get a fairly good quality one (don't care how ugly, just needs to be comfy) fairly cheap, i.e less than €50?
    I've found some online, but again, the size confuses me.
    Recommendations of reasonable brands would be great too.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Remember if you're checking bag in your toiletries will be limited. I'm a woman and went for 3 weeks so it was different! Ten days is nothing.. Leave the 50l at home! I had a 45L one for my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I had a 38l backpack for my last 2 interrail trips which was perfect. Easy to carry on and off of buses and trains and big enough to bring everything while not overpacking.

I got my bag in the great outdoors, they were brilliant. they put weight in different bags for me to try on so I could check the fit - since I'm a girl, the shoulder straps on some bags were too wide so the bag sat on the wrong part of my shoulder if that makes sense. I would definitely recommend trying a few bags for fit, you could always try and get the bag cheaper online.

I think my bag was €95 but backpacking is one of my favourite ways to travel so it was an investment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

biohaiid wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm heading interrailing with 2 friends in June for 10 days, and am unsure what backpack to bring.
    We have some old hiking/camping backpacks in the house, but they seem excessively big for 10 days, and much too long to be allowed in Ryanair cabins.
    So, I've been searching online and have been finding the whole thing quite confusing.
    What size should I be going for? 30l? 50l?
    Bear in mind I would like to fit it in the Ryanair cabins, don't really fancy checking it in.
    I also think I'm able to pack fairly light.
    Does anybody know of where I could get a fairly good quality one (don't care how ugly, just needs to be comfy) fairly cheap, i.e less than €50?
    I've found some online, but again, the size confuses me.
    Recommendations of reasonable brands would be great too.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404123255&sr=8-1&keywords=cabin+max+backpack

A similar branded bag (e.g. Lowe Alpine, North Face), which would be higher quality, is €80+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

Berghaus keep having sales on Amazon at the moment. I got a 40L rucksack down from £70 to £28, great buy. Solid quality too, I expect it will last me years and years. Don't go buying a cheap brand, the stitching isn't great and the back supports can be fairly insufficient. As HumourMe suggested, you should check shops for sizing etc.
    40L is definitely the max I would go though, previously had a 35L and it suited perfectly for trekking around Europe. You'd be mad to have a giant 70L in the middle of a sweaty European summer!
    The less clothes the better, you can easily wash them anywhere!

crushproof wrote: »
    Berghaus keep having sales on Amazon at the moment. I got a 40L rucksack down from £70 to £28, great buy. Solid quality too, I expect it will last me years and years. Don't go buying a cheap brand, the stitching isn't great and the back supports can be fairly insufficient. As HumourMe suggested, you should check shops for sizing etc.
    40L is definitely the max I would go though, previously had a 35L and it suited perfectly for trekking around Europe. You'd be mad to have a giant 70L in the middle of a sweaty European summer!
    The less clothes the better, you can easily wash them anywhere!

Oh my god that is excelletn value.
    Thought I was doing well with my Berghaus one for €60 delivered I think it was, maybe more. (€120 on the Berghaus website!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Todd Gack wrote: »

That's a great bag for the money. I've been using one for about three years now with no signs of wear and tear. It carries enough for me for 8 week trips but I do travel light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

For a medium sized bag, this Berghaus Freeflow II 30L is on Amazon at the moment, reduced from £77 to £27.
    I have the next size up, only problem with mine is I can't take it as carry on luggage. They are superbly built bags with excellent support.
    Perhaps you can with the 30L version...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Freeflow-II-30-Backpack/dp/B00IG71SKU
    81uqb420kWL._SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hi,

I'm going interrailling for 3 weeks and I am looking to check in a bag with Ryanair. I picked up a backpack from the local hiking store, a vango nanga 60L bag. I was just wondering if anyone would know what weight such a backpack would be for checking in? I've a choice between 15kg or 20kg baggage allowance and I was unsure which would be more appropriate. I have no idea how to visualise the size of such a weight. Have never travelled in such a manner before so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm going interrailling for 3 weeks and I am looking to check in a bag with Ryanair. I picked up a backpack from the local hiking store, a vango nanga 60L bag. I was just wondering if anyone would know what weight such a backpack would be for checking in? I've a choice between 15kg or 20kg baggage allowance and I was unsure which would be more appropriate. I have no idea how to visualise the size of such a weight. Have never travelled in such a manner before so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

You would have to pack it and weigh it to find out. Stand on the bathroom scales with it packed on you, then weigh yourself without it and subtract the difference. You will know which option to purchase. Ryanair could be strict on weight sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can buy cheap travel scales with hooks on them in Dunnes Stores and sometimes in Lidl/Aldi. If you live near the airport you could go in to the desks before and weigh them, plenty of empty desks.

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Hi,

I have no idea how to visualise the size of such a weight. Have never travelled in such a manner before so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

I don't think that one can visualise a weight - depends on the density sort of! as others have recommended, pack your bag and weigh it. if you got a 40 or 45l bag you could get away as carry on - have done so myself before.

think that it's this one that I have -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Rambler-44-Rucksack-Cobalt/dp/B00284AJC0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1438734319&sr=8-6&keywords=highlander+rucksack

if you plan well no need to carry more with you really - wear the heaviest stuff on you in the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I had a 60L for 3.5 weeks in South America and at it's heaviest it was 14.8kgs, and that was jammed full!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nice bag. You could carry the kitchen sink in that.
    Unless you clip a stuff to the outside (and I recommend that you don't, for inter-railing, you'll only need to half fill it), you will come in at less than 15kg. When I went hiking across Costa Rica with the same size bag this year, it was 9kg.

If you pack it lightly, you can even pass it as hand-luggage!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Hi there. As someone who's travelled a bit and knows the difference the right backpack can make, I've done a lot of research for my next big trip and decided to purchase the Osprey Farpoint 55. However, I'm having some trouble deciding on a smaller backpack for shorter trips (2-4 days). I currently have a 35L hiking backpack from Trespass but it feels a bit big. I'd like something a bit smaller (maybe 30L) that opens like suitcase. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Actually, the suitcase-style opening is not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronin1980

I'm looking for a backpack suitcase with wheels, similar to the suitcases that are made with hard plastic. Anything around 40 L is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

If you do find a good one, let us know - I'll want one myself at some point (but Ryanair-sized 55x40x20 which is 44 L).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronin1980

I'll keep looking but every one I've found is over €100, some even up to €400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If you could go with a soft case with hard sides, I can recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Optimus-Wheeled-Travel-Bag/dp/B007C0MUI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1450775410&sr=1-1&keywords=berghaus+cabin+bag

That seller doesn't deliver to Ireland, but you could probably use Parcel Motel. I had picked one up from Amazon themselves a couple of years ago as a lightning deal for a lot less than the £63 it's priced at now.

It's a fantastic case. Fits the Ryanair dimensions and it's like the tardis, it holds so much! Pretty sturdy and the straps are grand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check out cabinmax.com don't know anything about them but they are around a while. Few others on Done Deal if you search 'cabin bag', but the ads all seem very similar.

Advertisement