Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backpacks; Rucksacks and/or Suitcase queries

Comments

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Hi,

I have no idea how to visualise the size of such a weight. Have never travelled in such a manner before so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

I don't think that one can visualise a weight - depends on the density sort of! as others have recommended, pack your bag and weigh it. if you got a 40 or 45l bag you could get away as carry on - have done so myself before.

think that it's this one that I have -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Rambler-44-Rucksack-Cobalt/dp/B00284AJC0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1438734319&sr=8-6&keywords=highlander+rucksack

if you plan well no need to carry more with you really - wear the heaviest stuff on you in the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I had a 60L for 3.5 weeks in South America and at it's heaviest it was 14.8kgs, and that was jammed full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nice bag. You could carry the kitchen sink in that.
    Unless you clip a stuff to the outside (and I recommend that you don't, for inter-railing, you'll only need to half fill it), you will come in at less than 15kg. When I went hiking across Costa Rica with the same size bag this year, it was 9kg.

If you pack it lightly, you can even pass it as hand-luggage!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Hi there. As someone who's travelled a bit and knows the difference the right backpack can make, I've done a lot of research for my next big trip and decided to purchase the Osprey Farpoint 55. However, I'm having some trouble deciding on a smaller backpack for shorter trips (2-4 days). I currently have a 35L hiking backpack from Trespass but it feels a bit big. I'd like something a bit smaller (maybe 30L) that opens like suitcase. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Actually, the suitcase-style opening is not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ronin1980

I'm looking for a backpack suitcase with wheels, similar to the suitcases that are made with hard plastic. Anything around 40 L is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

If you do find a good one, let us know - I'll want one myself at some point (but Ryanair-sized 55x40x20 which is 44 L).

I'll keep looking but every one I've found is over €100, some even up to €400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If you could go with a soft case with hard sides, I can recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Optimus-Wheeled-Travel-Bag/dp/B007C0MUI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1450775410&sr=1-1&keywords=berghaus+cabin+bag

That seller doesn't deliver to Ireland, but you could probably use Parcel Motel. I had picked one up from Amazon themselves a couple of years ago as a lightning deal for a lot less than the £63 it's priced at now.

It's a fantastic case. Fits the Ryanair dimensions and it's like the tardis, it holds so much! Pretty sturdy and the straps are grand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check out cabinmax.com don't know anything about them but they are around a while. Few others on Done Deal if you search 'cabin bag', but the ads all seem very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clmitchell

Ikea have a 40L backpack with wheels called the "Backpack on wheels UPPTÄCKA". Sorry, boards.ie won't let me send you the link, but just google it. Hope this is what you're looking for, good price too.

clmitchell wrote: »
    Ikea have a 40L backpack with wheels called the "Backpack on wheels UPPTÄCKA". Sorry, boards.ie won't let me send you the link, but just google it. Hope this is what you're looking for, good price too.

This is the one: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/ikea-family-products/travel/upptäcka-backpack-on-wheels-dark-grey-art-50217766/
    I had something very similar once (though smaller), very useful it was. This one unfortunately is slightly too big for Ryanair so not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Debenhams have a good sale on Tripp luggage. Comes with a 5 year guarantee.

Okay I want to thank everyone for all your help, in the end I went with a "High Sierra Wheeled Tehachapi2 Backpack Trolley". You can find it on Amazon UK. It holds 41 Litres, opens like a suitcase, seems to have soft padded sides and has a padded laptop compartment along with having the backpack straps and roller trolley. I'll be able to tell you more in a day or two when it gets delivered. I won't be able to post any pics or links here because I'm a new user but I'll try and put a couple of pictures on Amazon as part of a review

Ronin1980 wrote: »
    Okay I want to thank everyone for all your help, in the end I went with a "High Sierra Wheeled Tehachapi2 Backpack Trolley". You can find it on Amazon UK. It holds 41 Litres, opens like a suitcase, seems to have soft padded sides and has a padded laptop compartment along with having the backpack straps and roller trolley. I'll be able to tell you more in a day or two when it gets delivered. I won't be able to post any pics or links here because I'm a new user but I'll try and put a couple of pictures on Amazon as part of a review

This thing? Careful of the strap on the top.

I've had a smaller High Sierra backpack for about six months, and just last Thursday the top strap broke. Fortunately it was while I was moving it around in my hotel room, not while I was getting on a train or doing something else critical.

Although I have been using it a lot, often manhandling it by the top strap, and with 5-6 kg inside, I would have expected it to last a bit longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Hi all ,

Hitting the road to Europe and Asia next week. Can anyone recommend a good backpack for long term travel

I am currently looking at the Vango 80+20 (139 EURO), Lowe Alpine AT voyager 70+15 (200 EURO)

Any help appreciated

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

just back from se asia.Used a 32L north face backpack for 2 months there.It was plenty big for what I needed.
    It was used as carry on luggage on planes and always with me on buses and trains.
    The big ATM sized packs are way to heavy in my opinion.
    Travel light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

stratowide wrote: »
    just back from se asia.Used a 32L north face backpack for 2 months there.It was plenty big for what I needed.
    It was used as carry on luggage on planes and always with me on buses and trains.
    The big ATM sized packs are way to heavy in my opinion.
    Travel light.

Personal choice obviously but I'd prefer a bigger bag but pack relatively light...you don't necessarily have to fill it, the extra space is handy so you don't have to squash everything in tight, plus if you're going to different places with different climates you'll need heavier clothes.

I'd recommend a reliable brand like Lowe Alpine or North Face.....you get what you pay for (went the cheaper route before and wasn't worth it). And a bag that opens fully like a suitcase, makes life a lot easier on a long trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Any pack over about 60L starts to get way bulky and a pain to carry. Also, I prefer to have a separate day bag that can strap to the main bag for convenience.

I spent many years traveling with a cheap, 45L backpack I got from an army surplus store in Dublin. This was great because it was super durable, looked like something you didn't want to investigate, and you could strap anything to it. On the other hand, the load bearing wasn't great, especially in the hips. Hiking a long distance was tough on the shoulders.

Now I have a very comfortable Boreas Lost Coast pack, which can fit a lot (55-60L on the inside, and all your camping gear on the outside). It's actually a little too big, you can end up carrying to much, a 50L pack would have been better. But it's great for hiking, I've taken it on multi-day trips in the jungle or through the mountains, with camping gear, food, everything... It's easy to find in the airport, but it's obviously a rich tourist bag and will stick out in places like India, and is likely to catch the eye of a thief.

So pick your poison! If you want it mostly for hiking, take a nice comfy-to-carry bag. If you want it for cities in Asia, I highly recommend something cheap, durable and inconspicuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

Hi all. First post on here. I have picked out a nice lowe alpine bagpack 35lt plus 10. While pricey at 140e, i think it will be worth it in the long run.

Just one question - do you think this 35lt bagpack would be able to taken on as carry on luggage on most planes? Would be a great added advantage for buying.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Solo89 wrote: »
    Hi all. First post on here. I have picked out a nice lowe alpine bagpack 35lt plus 10. While pricey at 140e, i think it will be worth it in the long run.

Just one question - do you think this 35lt bagpack would be able to taken on as carry on luggage on most planes? Would be a great added advantage for buying.

Thanks!

I've used a very tightly packed 32L pack on many different airlines.Never stopped once or even asked to measure or weigh it.
    You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Solo89

Great thanks stratowide. I expected as much. I was on a flight recently to biarritz and i couldnt believe the bagpacks ryanair were letting on as cabin luggage ( ppl doing the camino etc) They were def a 35lt plus i would have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi

Am looking for something to carry while out sight- seeing / exploring the city.

Looking for something that will hold a water bottle on the side,as a must... So manny have no facility for same. Also waterproof / with rain cover .

Mainly used for carrying the usual stuff of keys, wallet, jacket etc... No need for laptop etc. just a walk-around backpack that will be comfortable to carry

Any recommendations for me.... Budget up up to €60 or so

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭otterj

https://lowealpine.com/uk/backpacking/cholatse-45

This looks pretty decent, a bit expensive but looks like a good investment. Anyone have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

otterj wrote: »
    https://lowealpine.com/uk/backpacking/cholatse-45

This looks pretty decent, a bit expensive but looks like a good investment. Anyone have one?

I got this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Verden-45-Mens-Rucksack/dp/B003AM8DMM

but managed to get it for about €70 delivered if I remember correctly!

Great backpack. Well padded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭otterj

I got this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berghaus-Verden-45-Mens-Rucksack/dp/B003AM8DMM

but managed to get it for about €70 delivered if I remember correctly!

Great backpack. Well padded.

Is it comfortable to carry around? I find the mesh backing is very comfortable on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

otterj wrote: »
    Is it comfortable to carry around? I find the mesh backing is very comfortable on the back

Yeah I'm only 5ft 3 but had no problems carrying this. Didn't find it too heavy at any times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

hi
    can someone recommend a lockable backpack for 6 weeks in se asia?

the ones ive looked at online dont seem to be lockable (is there even such a thing as a lockable back pack)

hi
    can someone recommend a lockable backpack for 6 weeks in se asia?

the ones ive looked at online dont seem to be lockable (is there even such a thing as a lockable back pack)
    The pull tabs on zips usually have holes that allow you to attach a small, cheap travel padlock (for sections that have two zips).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Would boardies who travel frequently recommend a Hard or Soft suitcase for a 2 week holiday in AU. Medium Size I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My main concern is the weight of the case. For this reason, a soft one is lighter and allows more to be packed.

Found this one really light http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9139408/Trail/searchtext%3ELIGHT+SUITCASE.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hey guys

So after 6 1/2 years of loyal service my MEI voyageur has reached its end and it's time for me to replace and hopefully improve on it. I am hoping you guys can help as I have not had to think about this since 2010.

So what I am looking for? Features that I regard as minimum requirements.

I want a side loader bag.

I don't really want to go over 45 litres, anything over 50 litre is an absolute non starter. In saying that I am open to a bag with an attached daypack that goes over 50 in total but I still really don't want the main backpack over 45l.

The voyageur was very minimalist with just 2 compartments. There was something to be said for that but I as plan to do a good bit of hiking/camping I want more and something that may help with sleeping bag/tents etc.

No wheels.

YKK zip(s).

Something that is optional but you could do with voyageur is zip the straps up and hide them in such a way that it looks more like a suitcase. This was nice when trying to not check a bag in and go hand held only( like I managed to do on its final journey even though it was over the limit. It only matters if they weight it!) but tbh I never used that feature very much at all over the years so while handy it's not a deal breaker if that is not possible which likely isn't for most bags.

Aside from that I am open to anything. I appreciate any suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irlray

Hi
    Does anyone know of a shop in Dublin that sells lockable travel covers for backpacks. For extra security in the airport

For example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141651576262

I need to pick one up before the weekend

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Can't find a lockable one anywhere. Seems to be just drawstring rain covers.

Would something like this suffice if you locked your zips?

http://www.outdooradventurestore.ie/products/rucksacks/rucksack_accessories/rucksack_raincover-5477.html

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

can anyone recommend a wheelie suitcase that is ryanair sized? cheap and light please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Looking for some information on a suitcase I saw recently !!!!!!

It's 4 wheels, spinning and a telescopic handle.
    BUT the handle is at an angle, rather than parallel to the case.
    It must make it a lot easier to operate.

Tried on line but cant see one anywhere..

Any ideas ???

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe the handle was bent?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

No, there are purpose built holes in the suitcase top frame.

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Available with tokens in SuperValu.

Does anyone know anything about this brand. Strangely there's not much online. I thought they were a well known brand? Can't find their website, can't find reviews, can't find anywhere selling them :confused:

There are some products on Amazon but it's strange they are not more widely available. Maybe whenever I've seen the backpacks, they were bought in the last Supervalu promotion?

https://supervalu.ie/rewards/collect-points/ellehammer-luxury-luggage-range

0745_spv_elleh_last_prices_web_banner_980x400.jpg

Range looks familiar to the Wenger stuff Tesco had on promotion some time ago

Can't vouch for the quality of this stuff but it's very likely you will find similar stuff of equal or better quality for less if you shop around

RRPs one would assume are pure fiction

EDIT: Seems Tesco were doing the Ellehammer stuff as well at one point and also found the following;

http://ellehammerbags-asia.com - if you "wanner" have a look at "Elleharmmer" bags..... :rolleyes:

"WANNER PURCHASE ELLEHARMMER BAGS ONLINE? PLEASE SHOPS WITH BLUNBLU.COM"

No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

From the T&C

"- Ellehammer Tokens can only be redeemed once. Ellehammer Tokens cannot be redeemed for cash; they have no monetary value and can only be redeemed towards the Ellehammer Dinnerware Range."

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They had a great rectangular cabin size bag in a previous offer, converted easily to a backpack, with tuckaway straps. I wish I'd got a couple more of them. I don't see them on the current offer.

spurious wrote: »
    They had a great rectangular cabin size bag in a previous offer, converted easily to a backpack, with tuckaway straps. I wish I'd got a couple more of them. I don't see them on the current offer.

Lots of the CabinMax bags have that. I have two different CabinMax bags and both convert from backback to case but neither have wheels, although you can get wheeled versions

I bought the backpack during their last promotion. I don't think I paid €18.95 for it though :confused:

It's good though, bit volvo ish as in it isn't exactly the coolest bag on the block, but it is solid and does what it should very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Aegir wrote: »
    I bought the backpack during their last promotion. I don't think I paid €18.95 for it though :confused:

It's good though, bit volvo ish as in it isn't exactly the coolest bag on the block, but it is solid and does what it should very well.

I think I have the same one and I've gotten so much use out of it!
    I'd love to get another one but the backpack on offer here looks smaller and more "school bag" with all the zips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,983 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am currently looking to buy some luggage to have for future summer family holidays.

There seems to be a great range of prices, but I'd like something robust and which will last us a few years.

Thing is, I was just looking at some of the options, and some of the hard shell cases can weigh 4.8kg for the large sizes. Thats a lot of your 20kg allowance gone already! The soft ones seem a fair bit lighter.

But the hard ones seem to look a lot better than the softies, haven't seen a really nice set of soft luggage yet.

So what have you got, what do you prefer and any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Weigh up your needs. I travel between South Africa and here a bit, maybe once a year. We were doing the odd to to Europe here and there but that's quietened down a bit with a kid. Previously I'd have a soft bag (hitchhiker rucksack style) for ease of portability and light weight. I'd supplement with another fairly crap soft bag for extra space on long hauls. If I were buying today I'd probably look at soft shell wheelie bags since my travel is a lot less explorey and I care about weight. I've never been fussed about how bags look, only considered hardshell for the extra protection but I'm happy enough with plastic wrap.

If you do go hard-shell you need somewhere to store them for 330 odd days a year, soft bags pack better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

Depends on your requirements. I prefer hard shell these days.

Have a small hardshell case with two wheels for small journeys.

Last year purchased a large hardshell case to travel to Asia. That proved a fantastic purchase. So much so that my sister took it to South Africa.

Loads of space in it. Even if one person is only taking a small bag then they can also fit stuff in here. 4 wheels as well which makes for easy travel.

It was a different colour but same version as this:
    http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_36536+T44360_-1

In terms of storage, its large enough that you simply fill it up with other stuff and keep it in a closet or similar. So not a waste of space.

At €75 it's a great price. And there are smaller versions available as well. It's also one of the lightest for its size.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am currently looking to buy some luggage to have for future summer family holidays.

There seems to be a great range of prices, but I'd like something robust and which will last us a few years.

Thing is, I was just looking at some of the options, and some of the hard shell cases can weigh 4.8kg for the large sizes. Thats a lot of your 20kg allowance gone already! The soft ones seem a fair bit lighter.

But the hard ones seem to look a lot better than the softies, haven't seen a really nice set of soft luggage yet.

So what have you got, what do you prefer and any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a fabric covered hard shell Samsonite spinner that's been in very regular use for over 8 years. It's a bit scuffed on the outside, but has kept its integrity very well overall. I rarely would go over 12kg when travelling, even for a week's work trip. The huge benefit is that its a fixed size and shape and looks neat.

Modern hard shells can be very light, it's worth spending the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement