Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aw now I remember Bran. Almost forgot the madra. Which reminds me I once knew a dog called Bran and now I know who he was called after. I think Madra is another good name for a dog! :D Always loved the name of the dog in 'Heartbeat', Deefer (D for). Loved David's character and they should have made a spin off about his exploits. He would have given Michael Crawford's character a run for his money. But.......we weren't talking about that were we? (moves away looking confused and forgetful)

Once again, we're on the same page!
    Bran was Fionn Mac Cumhaill's woofer and, if you're interested in Celtic myths, it's well worth a look. The myth-weavers gave Sceolan and Tuiren fascinating stories too. But it's more correct to use the word "Cú" (hound) rather than "Madra" (pet woofer) to describe Bran and Co.

As for David in "Heartbeat", I really admire the skill of the actor (David Lonsdale) in creating that character. I know the script helps but it takes huge ability, great attention to detail and a lot of courage to portray convincingly......what can I call it?......a harmless poor divil like David. John Mills did it in Ryan's Daughter; John Hurt in Elephant Man, etc., etc., but Mr. Lonsdale got it right on day one and kept it right for years. Fair dues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ah Brens, steady on. All those big words! Guys, doncha just hate academics when they are let loose? Brens, I can't see you working in a mine at the tender age of nine years old. You've been to that Uni thing Aussie kids talk about on Neighbours and Home & Away. And when are those Aussie series's ever going to end? And have yiz noticed that everyone in those series's is loike, a beautiful model type, even the fellas.

Ah Brens, steady on. All those big words! Guys, doncha just hate academics when they are let loose? Brens, I can't see you working in a mine at the tender age of nine years old. You've been to that Uni thing Aussie kids talk about on Neighbours and Home & Away. And when are those Aussie series's ever going to end? And have yiz noticed that everyone in those series's is loike, a beautiful model type, even the fellas.

Yih, Oi waz jast havin' a few tinnies at the bahhhhbuy? and waz sying to moy moyts Wine and Shine and Shaaahhhloyne? how grite it is to heahhh an Ozzoy eksint on the ToyVoy?

These ahhhn't royil quistion mahhhhks - they'aahh jast showin' thet ivry stytmint is mide to sound loike a quistion?

I don't know but I'm inclined to admire Ozzie Soapland where, because of enormous scientific leaps forward, life-threatening illnesses vanish before the end of the week; their pregnancies last no more than six weeks; no-one ever performs household chores; every character has a huge moral problem which just....goes away, etc., etc. Mind you, UK soaps have similar tendencies.

I've been in manufacturing for decades but I've never seen such a slick operation as the sweet factory in Emmerdale. The entire factory includes no more than an office and a sweet-packing area. The sweets are made of magic ingredients that are never delivered, on machines that run magically by themselves and perfectly silently; they're wrapped magically somewhere before "appearing" in the packing area. Employees are not allowed to pack any more than a few sweets before having a moral or health crisis, which will be gone by next week.

Anyway, my time in Uni was spent learning about transistors, diodes, other prehistoric electronic components and a young wan from Kerry. The reason I know everything about everything now is because I observe and retain stuff. Unfortunately, these days, most of the stuff that's available to observe is pure cr@p. This encourages me to return to useful stuff (like Foinn's woofers) in ever more detail.

Luckily, my memoirs are coming along nicely so, someday, you'll be able to access this wealth of knowledge.

Available from all good bookshops and some of the other kind. Terms and conditions apply.

So we can look forward to two volumes of memoirs then, Rubes' and Brens'. I expect freebies in the post as and when available please. Why, I believe I can actually hear the faint sound of quill on vellum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yoo hoo I'm back:D:D:D

Had an awful time finding ye as we seem to have moved!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think I am going to pack up for today till this place is sorted...Soc is now Society and something so I don't know what Social and Fun (blerk) is going to be called. Grump, grouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am totally lost here .... is it ok to blame OG? :D

As OG has just left the building, it is ok to blame EVERYTHING on him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yih, Oi waz jast havin' ......

Anyway, my time in Uni was spent learning about transistors, diodes, other prehistoric electronic components and a young wan from Kerry. .....

Was she a resistor ?

or an inductor with little reluctance ?

Darnnit! I'm locked in here again. I can't log out. (Rattles bars to attract attention! Lemme out!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Darnnit! I'm locked in here again. I can't log out. (Rattles bars to attract attention! Lemme out!)

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave" :eek:

(There's a logout link at the bottom of the page)

*Laughs and hides the key*

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave" :eek:

(There's a logout link at the bottom of the page)

Its usually on the drop down menu beside my username, but the menu won't....drop down.....so can't......log......out! :eek:

Ahem, if you clear your cache it might bring your drop down menu back JB

(I was told that earlier, took me ages to remember how to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

looksee wrote: »
    Ahem, if you clear your cache it might bring your drop down menu back JB

(I was told that earlier, took me ages to remember how to do it)

Just run ccleaner and it will clear your cache and lots of other junk for you:)

now how do I get back outa here:(

S'all right, its been mended now. Panic over!

I am a horrible person.

I came across one of those American blogs the author of which was a home maker, who loved to……make a home. She shows off her domestic life by posting photos of inside and out of the house they both built (with love and by hand) in the wilderness, the garden, the big sky, the mountains, the turkey she roasted, the cakes and cookies she bakes for the husband she calls her best friend, and their darling children, her vintage cookbooks, her grandmother’s recipes, her vegetable, fruit, flower and herb gardens, her cupboard bursting with preserves, her sewing notions and patchwork quilts, her flower arrangement in a hand-thrown pot, and framed pressed flowers, her kitchen table, her dainty china, her crocheted doilies, knitted throws and comfy cushions, the love notes her adored husband hides all over the house, the scented lavender hearts hanging from the chair backs, the thrifty tips and thrifty finds, her best cleaning advice, daily vacuuming interrupted only by a mop, and ‘kiss-the-cook’ message on the kitchen door, the Thanksgiving centrepiece, inspirational verses in every room, ‘Life is a Song, so Sing Along’ inside the pantry door, vintage this and calico that, baby showers and diaper games, scrapbooking and journaling, and loved family pets, itsy bits and bitsy bits, family, friends, faith, dreams…….and love.

And then I threw up! I am a horrible person.

Then I looked around my untidy home, the torn old wallpaper, the threadbare carpet, the jungle I loosely describe as a ‘garden’, the piled up dishes and unpaid bills that will get paid, next week. The worn out ceiling that caved in once and never saw a tradesman come, to fix our fixer-upper. The illnesses that thwarted me, the ones I feel I conquered, the unemployment and dole queues, and kids with a worrying future, the friends and family who never call unless I call them first. The TV programmes that steal our time, and hobbies that are addictive, we spend more time apart these days than we ever spent together. And I wondered why life was so perfect for that perfect blogger, but not so perfect for imperfect me.

And I caught a terrible dose of envy.

So I went back to the blog and read the early pages, it turns out things started off real bad, her parents disliked her fella, they didn’t want to attend the wedding, but did so grudgingly. They lost their first home in the 80’s recession, they sold all they had and bought some land and a camper van in which they lived until they built their house, then a tornado almost destroyed the house, which all sounds really rough but explains why she is so delighted every day with what they have created.

And I thought, she deserves her perfect husband, her perfect children, pets, and home. Ahhhh! Bless!

Lovely story

AND the winner is ............ Rubes. :):)

You remember that the company wanted to sack me because I was ill?

Also that I said I would fight it?

Today I was told that I would be going back to my old job in stages as my fitness improved.

NEVER mess with the Rubes :D Multinational Company, your having a laugh.

*Does a mad jig of delight ... with a tad of relief in it*

Congratulations on that Rube, and it will probably help along your improving health too!

• Advertisement

WOO HOO! Congratulations Rube, what a happy chappie you must be. And on St. George's Day too! A day to remember. Enjoy your return to the land of Employment.

I am a horrible person.

I came across one of those American blogs the author of which was a home maker, who loved to……make a home. She shows off her domestic life by posting photos of inside and out of the house they both built (with love and by hand) in the wilderness, the garden, the big sky, the mountains, the turkey she roasted, the cakes and cookies she bakes for the husband she calls her best friend, and their darling children, her vintage cookbooks, her grandmother’s recipes, her vegetable, fruit, flower and herb gardens, her cupboard bursting with preserves, her sewing notions and patchwork quilts, her flower arrangement in a hand-thrown pot, and framed pressed flowers, her kitchen table, her dainty china, her crocheted doilies, knitted throws and comfy cushions, the love notes her adored husband hides all over the house, the scented lavender hearts hanging from the chair backs, the thrifty tips and thrifty finds, her best cleaning advice, daily vacuuming interrupted only by a mop, and ‘kiss-the-cook’ message on the kitchen door, the Thanksgiving centrepiece, inspirational verses in every room, ‘Life is a Song, so Sing Along’ inside the pantry door, vintage this and calico that, baby showers and diaper games, scrapbooking and journaling, and loved family pets, itsy bits and bitsy bits, family, friends, faith, dreams…….and love.

And then I threw up! I am a horrible person.

Then I looked around my untidy home, the torn old wallpaper, the threadbare carpet, the jungle I loosely describe as a ‘garden’, the piled up dishes and unpaid bills that will get paid, next week. The worn out ceiling that caved in once and never saw a tradesman come, to fix our fixer-upper. The illnesses that thwarted me, the ones I feel I conquered, the unemployment and dole queues, and kids with a worrying future, the friends and family who never call unless I call them first. The TV programmes that steal our time, and hobbies that are addictive, we spend more time apart these days than we ever spent together. And I wondered why life was so perfect for that perfect blogger, but not so perfect for imperfect me.

And I caught a terrible dose of envy.

So I went back to the blog and read the early pages, it turns out things started off real bad, her parents disliked her fella, they didn’t want to attend the wedding, but did so grudgingly. They lost their first home in the 80’s recession, they sold all they had and bought some land and a camper van in which they lived until they built their house, then a tornado almost destroyed the house, which all sounds really rough but explains why she is so delighted every day with what they have created.

And I thought, she deserves her perfect husband, her perfect children, pets, and home. Ahhhh! Bless!

Sounds just like BrensBenz Manor! We have doilies too, made from cotton which we grew from orphan seeds we found washed up on the beach. We hand carried the seeds home, speaking softly to them as we went, lest our harsh NCD accents would alarm these timid foreign visitors. As we carried the seeds over the threshold of BrensBenz Manor, I whipped out my nose flute and played some native American folk tunes. Luckily, I had some soil from the banks of the Mississippi in my boatshed so we planted the seeds in it and sang Ole Man River to them every day for months.

Eventually, we picked the cotton and gently magicked it into thread on spinning wheels which we made from driftwood from the same beach. Then I hand-carved a crochet needle from environmentally responsible plastic and lovingly crafted a matching pair of doilies, with patterns of pansies and labrador puppies, and carefully placed them under this mouse mat, lest we might wear the patina on our IKEA desktop.

Aaaahhhhhhhhh!

On second thoughts, sounds like someone auditioning for a job on the script writing team for Little House on the Prairie. "Too late: they all died!"

Da doo da da dahhhh,
    Da doo da da doo dahhhh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Delighted for you Rubecula. Way to go!

Rubecula wrote: »
    AND the winner is ............ Rubes. :):)

You remember that the company wanted to sack me because I was ill?

Also that I said I would fight it?

Today I was told that I would be going back to my old job in stages as my fitness improved.

NEVER mess with the Rubes :D Multinational Company, your having a laugh.

*Does a mad jig of delight ... with a tad of relief in it*

So, the campaign to keep the Anglesea One is a success. Nice One! Do you need an assistant? Well? Do ya? Eh? Well? Do ya?

Every cloud has a silver lining, even being a stubborn oul fart.
    I would like to thank all my fans and family, my manager, but mostly I would like to thank the young lady in the Personell Department for wearing those tight shirts.
    I would also like to thank anyone who owns up to helping themself to the drinky box. Inow realise what OG went through, Jaysus you lot need hydrating something fierce.

I am having trouble with your last sentence Rube, but do I gather you are going to sponsor another 'cabinet'?

Strong box for two reasons.1) It is as safe as I could get. 2) I am not as rich as OG.

We need a sponsor to fill it now LOL

Lovely story
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    .....On second thoughts, sounds like someone auditioning for a job on the script writing team for Little House on the Prairie. "Too late: they all died!".....

Actually. It wasn't a story. 99% true.
    ......We need a sponsor to fill it now LOL

I nominate Mr. Barry, tea magnate from Cork! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Rubes many congratulations on your employers seeing sense. It must be a great load off your mind.

To celebrate I've put a few cases of vino from the cellar into the strong box, I'll probably nick some of it back at some stage:D:D but hey it's a start.

Tea bags are on top of the strong box Jellybaby in case you fancy a cuppa.

• Advertisement

best add some coffee too for the sleepy oulwans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement