Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You are just one of us now OG, a lesser mortal. Let's see how long it takes Rube to elevate himself to Commander-in-Chief in charge of the troops. Yikes! (not long at all in fact) Gerrem up, two-three-four, gerrem up, two-three-four, by the rrrrrrrrrrrrighht (WAIT FOR IT!).......MARCH! Left, left, left right left, swing dem arms. Te-de-dump, te-de-dump..........etc. (Anyone got an escape plan?)

*wanders into the yard shaking my trousers and scuffing the soil whilst whistling nonchalant.... Nocha.....nonchalant.....without a care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Hmmmm......so Rubecula is our new Moderator. Hmmmmm......
    Well, cream rises to the top but it looks as if I'll have to write all my objectionable, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, allotherophobic, grumpy remarks as gaelige in future.

By the way, oulwans, I got my eyelashes back so, with my two-seater, convertible, dark black midlife crisis car; my trilby hat that allows me to make up the rules of the road as I go along; a limping woof and my ukelele, I'm just irresistible, so I am. Form an orderly line and no jostling - there's enough Cidona here for all of yiz. And no, there's no Blue Nun.

Evil drink.........destroys the body..........steals the soul............REPENT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Hmmmm......so Rubecula is our new Moderator. Hmmmmm......
    Well, cream rises to the top but it looks as if I'll have to write all my objectionable, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, allotherophobic, grumpy remarks as gaelige in future.

By the way, oulwans, I got my eyelashes back so, with my two-seater, convertible, dark black midlife crisis car; my trilby hat that allows me to make up the rules of the road as I go along; a limping woof and my ukelele, I'm just irresistible, so I am. Form an orderly line and no jostling - there's enough Cidona here for all of yiz. And no, there's no Blue Nun.

Evil drink.........destroys the body..........steals the soul............REPENT

Dia dhuit BB :P

Oiche mhaith BB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Jus' you and me Rube, sitting on the porch, watching the tumbleweed. Everyone else out gallivantin'.

Edit...er no, just me sitting on the porch etc.

* lets a few snores escape*

Grumph cough err Wazzup?

*Looks around andfalls asleep again*

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    * lets a few snores escape*

Grumph cough err Wazzup?

*Looks around andfalls asleep again*

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oi! Wake up! You have Responsibilities now! Can't sleep on the job :pac:

Relaxthe dreadful wimmin folk are away for the moment so all is calm. Besides this chair is very very comfy......... *reaches for a cuppa and a biccy, and lets his bunny slippers twitch*

Relaxthe dreadful wimmin folk are away for the moment so all is calm. Besides this chair is very very comfy......... *reaches for a cuppa and a biccy, and lets his bunny slippers twitch*

*Glowers* hmmm, and am I not one of the 'dreadful wimmin folk'? Hmmm? *heads off to make another cup of tea* :P

Dia dhuit BB :P

Oiche mhaith BB :D

Oh bluddy 'ell I mean drat and double drat.

Slinks off, hands behind back, whistling.......

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Oh bluddy 'ell I mean drat and double drat.

Slinks off, hands behind back, whistling.......

Ceade mille failte :)

(Not too bad for an Englishman eh?) :D

• Advertisement

Ceade mille failte :)

(Not too bad for an Englishman eh?) :D

T...T...T...Tá.
    An bhuil cead agam dul amach go dtí an leithreas anois, más é do thuil é?

And I hope you're not Google Translating this. It took me thirteen years in skewill to learn this stuff off by heart.

I was going to go all prim mod and tell you not to post in Irish without a translation (honest, site rules :-) ) but then I googled it:

I allowed the vehicle is going out to the toilet now , if your thuil is it?

and concluded it wasn't Irish anyway :-D

I did pick up a few words here and there BB. (Not sure I can follow that last one however) Something about the toilet?

looksee wrote: »
    I was going to go all prim mod and tell you not to post in Irish without a translation (honest, site rules :-) ) but then I googled it:

I allowed the vehicle is going out to the toilet now , if your thuil is it?

and concluded it wasn't Irish anyway :-D

I can do some welsh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I can do some welsh :pac:

Rarebit?

Rarebit?

caws ar dost :pac:

would you prefer :

tatws stwnsh :)

I did pick up a few words here and there BB. (Not sure I can follow that last one however) Something about the toilet?

"An bhuil cead agam dul amach go dtí an leithreas anois, más é do thuil é?" is probably the most useful phrase for primary school kids who haven't done their homework and are about to be asked for it. Ahhhh, what happy hours I spent hiding in my second home, an leithreas, admiring the artwork and poetry on the walls.

Anyway, if......all of the Celtic languages have a common ancestor (after all of the evolution, even I can make some sense of Scots Gallic, Manx, Ulster Scots and even Cornish) what on Earth happened Welsh???? Who decided that vowels could only be used in Welsh on special occasions? And where did they get that squelchy noise that, anywhere else, would be treated by speech therapists?

Oh well, Wales gave us Shirley Bassey which easily makes up for producing a strange language.

It is amazing how many folk in these fair isles actually forget there is more than one native language. Being English and going to school as a kiddy in England, I NEVER got to learn any of them apart from English. Sad IMO.

We should all try to keep our heritage alive before it all gets forgotten.

would you prefer :

My preference would be tatws stwnsh actually!! :) (Scrunched taters!) Brens hit the nail on the head. What do the Welsh do with all their vowels then?

would you prefer :

Well, I stand corrected: "Caws ar dost" isn't too far from "cáis ar tósta". But we have fadas and sheibhihehhehhehs. Well, the sheibhihehhehhehs were dumped but we still have fadas. Can't beat an oul fada!

• Advertisement

They really mucked up the language when they got rid of the 'oul 'shavoos'. The H's they introduced instead made the language almost unrecognisable to native speakers, and also to us primary school kids leaving school who had been brung up with the dots!

The old printed books in Irish are very pretty! Himself was educated through Irish (tho not a native speaker at all) including doing a MA in French through Irish and the thesis looks charming typed on an Irish keyboard typewriter, not that I understand a word of it!

They really mucked up the language when they got rid of the 'oul 'shavoos'. The H's they introduced instead made the language almost unrecognisable to native speakers, and also to us primary school kids leaving school who had been brung up with the dots!
    looksee wrote: »
    The old printed books in Irish are very pretty! Himself was educated through Irish (tho not a native speaker at all) including doing a MA in French through Irish and the thesis looks charming typed on an Irish keyboard typewriter, not that I understand a word of it!

In my skewill, we learned joined-up writing in English and Irish script and I still think the Irish script was classy. Then, one day, all of a sudden, the sheivehhehhehhehs were banned; the fadas were kept and we had to write Irish in the English script! Very confusing.

Immediately, the exploits of Seán agus Máire lost their appeal and now I only occasionally picture them in a far off place, with their madra Bran, ligging their scίth cois an lough full of abandoned sheivehhehhehhehs.

Aw now I remember Bran. Almost forgot the madra. Which reminds me I once knew a dog called Bran and now I know who he was called after. I think Madra is another good name for a dog! :D Always loved the name of the dog in 'Heartbeat', Deefer (D for). Loved David's character and they should have made a spin off about his exploits. He would have given Michael Crawford's character a run for his money. But.......we weren't talking about that were we? (moves away looking confused and forgetful)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Alice1

séimhiú - that's the H - like Ba mhaith liom

Now, I just need to sort out úru and we' re away

Alice1 wrote: »
    séimhiú - that's the H - like Ba mhaith liom

Now, I just need to sort out úru and we' re away

I tried to type that the ould fashioned way buh me pewter can't spell Irish and it doesn't have the lovely Irish lettering that I learned in skewell.

I am very jealous of ye all. Trying to learn a language on yer own from books is not fun.

Trying to learn two is a nightmare.

I don't think it is possible for me at this stage to learn any foreign language. I believe you are either linguistically talented or linguistically challenged. I am linguistically challenged so I can't see me ever managing it though I'd love to learn French or Spanish or maybe German. German is pronounced as it is spelled unlike French which also has everything divided into feminine or masculine and (snortle!:o) I can't tell the difference!

I don't think it is possible for me at this stage to learn any foreign language. I believe you are either linguistically talented or linguistically challenged. I am linguistically challenged so I can't see me ever managing it though I'd love to learn French or Spanish or maybe German. German is pronounced as it is spelled unlike French which also has everything divided into feminine or masculine and (snortle!:o) I can't tell the difference!

I am with you on that hon. Languages are best learned at an early age. I was very good upto the age of about 9 but then had to stop for a few years and never got it back :(

• Advertisement

They say if you're linguistically challenged that you're mathematically gifted so, JB1, how DO you calculate the force of gravity at the outer rim of a black hole?

However, at the risk of being called a grumpy oul pedant / smartass, Irish has masculine and feminine too! It makes little difference in French because those lazy b@$t@rd$ don't pronounce most of the letters in their makey-uppy words any way.

Before being transferred to Madrid, some Mexican colleagues taught me the rudiments of Spanish. On arrival in Madrid, I discovered I'd been had. "Real" eSpanish in eSpain includes some disgusting and limp-wristed noises, worser than Welsh and nearly as nauseating as that throat-clearing noise the bluddy French make while pronouncing the letter "R".

German!" Now there's a real language and with a beautiful range of traditional scripts too. But the grammar is difficult and the locals didn't seem to appreciate my "paar Worte" being delivered in the American accent I picked up from the CD.

By no means a polyglot, I found Italian fairly straight forward, especially since the militant wing of the Vatican had spent five years force-feeding me with Latin in skewell.

Nah, maybe at err age, we're behher off wih diss stuff loike whoh we no awlreddy loike.

PS: Saw a nice TV programme tonight on ITV, called "Wild Ireland". Christine Bleakley is doing a series on the Wild Atlantic Way which tonight included exquisite views from Sligo, Mayo and Achill. And she isn't just pointing at stuff - she paddled her own kayak into sea caves, rode her own bike along the disused railway / cycle path from Achill; hiked up Knocknarea in Sligo and seemed to genuinely enjoy herself. (Oh oh....split infinitive....thuddd....ouch....)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement