Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 35s, are you taking out Health Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Im not much of a gambler so no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm 43. I eat mainly plant based diet with the occasional fish dish. Meditate twice a day. Run 6 to 7 days a week. Drink alcohol sometimes and can give it up for long periods. 6'2'', 12 stone and 13% body fat. Low blood pressure and low heart rate. Have never had a health issue except the flu twice and the cold.

You do realize that your post is normally the start of a story that ends with "never sick a day in his life and he dropped dead at 40 years old". We all know someone who looked after themselves and then got an unexplained illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

So we're paying tax rates sufficient to expect a decent NHS like the UK, and have to fork out for private cover like the US if we actually want to get decent cover?

The only saving grace with this LCR is that in theory the rates should start to come down once the young healthy people start paying in in their droves and not claiming often.

In theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've had it for years already and am only 30. Tbh it's one of those things I'd say is an essential expense to those who can reasonably afford it.

€500 per year really isn't a lot of money to pay for peace of mind, and especially with the state of our public health system. People spend more than that on a Sky subscription or gym membership, neither of which I have or want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

funny enough whether you re private or public, its the same consultants, surgeons and for anything serious hospitals you ll be seen in. Albeit maybe a bit quicker.

If your're admitted as an emergency, you'll see the same consultants in THAT hospital as any public patient. If you develop a condition, you can choose to go to the best people WHEREVER they are based and be seen promptly. I fork out over €3k a year, which I can ill afford, but it will be the last thing I let go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Not taking it out. If I fall ill due to my lifestyle I'll just kill myself and the job will be done for them. Not paying for something optional in the event it "might happen." Like I don't have insurance for my phone or any electronics. I'd just lose them and get on with it.

Think it's a little unfair really though. Punished for being a healthy young person. Really benefits corporations but then why am I surprised...that's life now. Pretty disgusted by it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm 43. I eat mainly plant based diet with the occasional fish dish. Meditate twice a day. Run 6 to 7 days a week. Drink alcohol sometimes and can give it up for long periods. 6'2'', 12 stone and 13% body fat. Low blood pressure and low heart rate. Have never had a health issue except the flu twice and the cold.

I would rather spend my money on prevention orientated health care.

You're an absolute fool if you think all that will prevent some kind of complication from, say, an infection.

I suppose I'm speaking from the perspective of having a litany of medical issues all through my life (not through any action or inaction on my part, mind) and one that was not only completely out of the blue but the most serious. Luckily I'd taken out health insurance just before, otherwise it would've been more difficult and expensive (due to now missing an internal organ and what it entails).

There was nothing I could've done to avoid that, it was just a rare complication from a relatively minor and quite common infection.

Nowadays I just shake my head at that sort of nonsense. People wouldn't gamble with lesser things than their health; I just don't understand it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Luckily due to this coming in my workplace decided to give me health insurance, good times. If I was turning 35 yes I would buy it.

Here is some posts from a boards admin on his experience:

A number of years ago I had a sudden unforeseen complication following knee surgery that left me in absolute agony and unable to walk. Not knowing what was wrong, I went to A&E where an x-ray quickly showed what the problem was. It was clear that another operation was required, so I expected to be told I'd have one within a few days. I was stunned when they told me that I should go home and that they'd be in touch with me in "about 6 weeks" to discuss scheduling the operation. Not that the operation would be in 6 weeks, just that they'd give me a date for it at that stage. When I said that was ridiculous because I couldn't walk due to the extreme pain (far worse than the pain of the original complaint) and would have to go on sick leave, I was told that because it wasn't life-threatening I was a non-urgent case. It then dawned on me that because I was in A&E I was probably being put on the public waiting list, so I asked if my VHI meant I could have the operation sooner. The reaction I got clearly demonstrated the divide in the public and private healthcare systems in this country, it was pretty much "You have VHI? Well why didn't you say so? Take a seat and we'll see what we can do for you". I had the operation a week later.

I fully appreciate that health insurance is expensive, and in the event of financial difficulties it's probably one of the first things to go. But having first hand experience of the benefits of having it on a number of occasions, I do believe that if you can afford it getting rid of it is a very short-sighted thing to do.
    I'd dispute the assertion that health insurance doesn't save you money. As I mentioned previously, I had a knee injury. This eventually turned into a chronic complaint that requires a significant amount of medical "maintenance" throughout the year. The procedure I have costs in the region of €450 to have done privately, and I have it done 3-4 times a year, all of it covered by the VHI. If I were to wait to have it done publicly, I would 1) probably have had to wait a significant length of time just to have the first treatment; and 2) definitely not be having the treatment 3-4 times a year in a public hospital. So my only alternative so that I can have a just about manageable amount of pain and only moderately impaired mobility would be to pay for it out of my own pocket. So yes, my VHI does get me treated quicker, but it does also save me a significant amount of money each year, especially as the policy I have also reimburses me for day-to-day medical expenses as well.

Last time I was referred to a consultant I was given an appointment a year and a half later! Similar with MRI scans, I get them "free" and immediately with health insurance rather than waiting a year. Yeah you get good treatment if you have a life threatening condition, but anything under that and you are left waiting, often you are left waiting to see if you have a condition in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Not taking it out. If I fall ill due to my lifestyle I'll just kill myself and the job will be done for them. Not paying for something optional in the event it "might happen." Like I don't have insurance for my phone or any electronics. I'd just lose them and get on with it.

Think it's a little unfair really though. Punished for being a healthy young person. Really benefits corporations but then why am I surprised...that's life now. Pretty disgusted by it all.

Health insurance is like that. The healthy are punished for the sick.

The idea is, like all insurance, you pay in when you don't need it to get paid out when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I cancelled my policy a few years ago when the price rose to over €1k and I could never claim for anything. I tried to claim for physio...only 20% back on it. Tried to claim for MRI...not covered. Tried to claim for consultants appointment €150 excess. I realised the money I was spending, I would have been better off just saving and paying for my outpatients requirements myself. I now have a chronic injury which I am being treated as a public patient and for the most part, its fine. Once I got into the system, I have no problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I'm 24 and have had it since I was a child, and have been paying my own policy for myself since I was 18! My work pay a large proportion of it for me now, but I'd have it anyway if they didn't, I think it's well worth the money! I've never had to use it thankfully, but I'm sure that day will come eventually, and that's when ill be glad I paid in for all these years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

fg1406 wrote: »
    I would have been better off just saving and paying for my outpatients requirements myself. I now have a chronic injury which I am being treated as a public patient and for the most part, its fine. Once I got into the system, I have no problems at all.

My experience also.

The much maligned public system isnt that bad & anything else I've just paid cash.

(An MRI scan is less than €200.... anyone who would wait a year or more for the taxpayer to give them one for free needs to reevaluate their priorities).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is immature. You might fall ill for a reason entirely unconnected with your lifestyle and saying that you would kill yourself is bizarre and not funny, if intended as a joke. Health insurance is not at all like phone insurance, there is no need for the latter, a phone is €50.
    Health insurance is like that. The healthy are punished for the sick.

Punished is pejorative. Those who end up not needing the treatments subsidise those who fall ill, this is the nature of insurance, if my house doesn't burn down I subside those whose house does burn down,. But in both case those who claim would swap places with those who don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

My experience also.

(An MRI scan is less than €200.... anyone who would wait a year or more for the taxpayer to give them one for free needs to reevaluate their priorities).

exactly. I paid €180 for an MRI in a private clinic nearby. Booked it on a Wednesday and had the scan the following afternoon. It had my scan on a disc for my public appointment with the consultant 2 weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't understand this "Punishing the young and healthy" thing. My gran lived until her late 90s and it was in her final five or six years that she needed it badly. No matter how healthy you are (and she was very healthy in her day until the ravages of old age set in) you're not infallible.

I took out health insurance in recent years. It's a fine wedge every month (although nothing like the States; that's probably why someone referred to it here as cheap) and I can understand people's objections to the price and the fact there is already a public health system, but sadly, it's necessary expenditure IMO until there's reform of the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is immature. You might fall ill for a reason entirely unconnected with your lifestyle and saying that you would kill yourself is bizarre and not funny, if intended as a joke. Health insurance is not at all like phone insurance, there is no need for the latter, a phone is €50.

Punished is pejorative. Those who end up not needing the treatments subsidise those who fall ill, this is the nature of insurance, if my house doesn't burn down I subside those whose house does burn down,. But in both case those who claim would swap places with those who don't have to.

I was quoting a guy who used punished in that form. I was using it ironically. Probably should have quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

See. I would sign up for it for the future (I'm 21)... But since I'm on the JSA and have less than €5 left over by Wednesday ever week after food, bills and rent, I can't get it, but I would definitely if I had enough money and a more stable income!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Nope. Since I've lived in the UK, I have the NHS, yet another reason to never move back to the lovely Emerald Isle.

Had a serious amount of medical support and requirements past few years, which is still ongoing and never paid a penny, other than through my national insurance contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Signed up last month after some harassment from my fiance. Got a scheme through work with about 20% discount so it works out around €120 per month for both of us in total. Neither of us have had any health problems thankfully but sure its prolly better to have and not need etc. Its a decent level of cover and not all that much expense in the grand scheme of things. We went out Saturday night and spent around €250 between dinner, drinks and taxi so when you quantify it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

marketty wrote: »
    So we're paying tax rates sufficient to expect a decent NHS like the UK, and have to fork out for private cover like the US if we actually want to get decent cover?

The only saving grace with this LCR is that in theory the rates should start to come down once the young healthy people start paying in in their droves and not claiming often.

In theory.

Even better, when you pay for private health insurance, you pay a huge amount in tax/levies etc on it. For some of the cheaper plans, all the money is just going to the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Senna wrote: »
    You do realize that your post is normally the start of a story that ends with "never sick a day in his life and he dropped dead at 40 years old". We all know someone who looked after themselves and then got an unexplained illness.

Well if the health insurance covers for check ups and early screening programmes, I may consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

No, I won't be getting it. I dropped my health insurance about 2 years ago and then I was diagnosed with MS last year. Now I have a pre-existing condition and I won't get medical insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Novella wrote: »
    I doubt I'd have health insurance if I was still living in Ireland. €1,000 a year? That sounds great though! We pay close to $1,000 a month for a family of three, one of whom is a toddler so gets a reduced rate. Health insurance is so expensive here but so necessary.
    The wages obviously reflect these costs because very few could afford a thousand per month in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I get it paid for through work. But otherwise as someone in their mid twenties, I'd have no intention to taking out health insurance. The whole idea of insurance is bad value for anyone that gets involved. Everyone puts their money in a pit, a percentage gets skimmed off, and the rest is divided amongst those who need to claim. If you worked off probabilities for say house insurance, the likelihood of you getting robbed and value you would lose out of a robbery usually doesn't correlate well at all with the premium you pay. Naturally though some people prefer peace of mind and are willing to pay for that.

In terms of health insurance, it becomes good value for those older people who use it. Someone in their sixties is many many times more likely to claim than someone in their twenties, but don't pay many times more on the premiums like they should. Thus making it horrible value for a younger person. The Health insurance companies need to get back to profitability, and the customers they try the hardest to get in our the 18-40 band, great value customers for them due to the small likelihood of claims from that grouping. Its a poor investment for any young person. That is easier said though I'll admit, as you'll always hear or know someone who gets sick in early adulthood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Im not much of a gambler so no

Taking a big gamble there by not having insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I had a health issue a couple of years ago. Went to the doctor on Friday (half back from VHI), they said very serious and to contact the Beacon Hospital. They saw me on the Monday and scheduled the surgery on the Tuesday. The GP cost me 25 with the rebate, and the whole surgery etc etc cost 75 Euro.

The actual cost of the procedure was > 5k so huge savings. It's a pain paying for HI until that awful moment when you desperately need it. I don't agree with the premiums, but it pretty much saved my life.

You may well look and feel healthy right now, but you would be so shocked how quick that can change in one instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I get it paid for through work. But otherwise as someone in their mid twenties, I'd have no intention to taking out health insurance. The whole idea of insurance is bad value for anyone that gets involved. Everyone puts their money in a pit, a percentage gets skimmed off, and the rest is divided amongst those who need to claim. If you worked off probabilities for say house insurance, the likelihood of you getting robbed and value you would lose out of a robbery usually doesn't correlate well at all with the premium you pay. Naturally though some people prefer peace of mind and are willing to pay for that.

In terms of health insurance, it becomes good value for those older people who use it. Someone in their sixties is many many times more likely to claim than someone in their twenties, but don't pay many times more on the premiums like they should. Thus making it horrible value for a younger person. The Health insurance companies need to get back to profitability, and the customers they try the hardest to get in our the 18-40 band, great value customers for them due to the small likelihood of claims from that grouping. Its a poor investment for any young person. That is easier said though I'll admit, as you'll always hear or know someone who gets sick in early adulthood

Sadly, can't legally charge older people (or anyone with higher risk) more for health insurance than someone with less risk. Doesn't need to even be just done on age, multiple things that will increase risk and therefore premium for people.

Best market for health insurers are fit males between 25 and 40. Less likely to get sick and no risk of maternity claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

titan18 wrote: »
    Sadly, can't legally charge older people (or anyone with higher risk) more for health insurance than someone with less risk. Doesn't need to even be just done on age, multiple things that will increase risk and therefore premium for people.

Best market for health insurers are fit males between 25 and 40. Less likely to get sick and no risk of maternity claims.

Yeah, thats partly my point. Older, and just basic unhealthier people are taking a large amount out of the 'insurance pit' without paying their fair share in. This shortfall needs to be made up somewhere, with younger people making up the difference with terrible value premiums. It's a pity they cant charge older people what they should be, but c'est la vie. A couple of people have asked me about this recently and its really hard to advise not to get private in case something terrible does happen and they get seriously ill. Just as long as people realise they are being ripped off massively in value and probability terms, they can decide themselves if they are comfortable with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What are the changes happening at the end of this month?

Why is people have to sign up now is under 35?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Novella wrote: »
    I doubt I'd have health insurance if I was still living in Ireland. €1,000 a year? That sounds great though! We pay close to $1,000 a month for a family of three, one of whom is a toddler so gets a reduced rate. Health insurance is so expensive here but so necessary.

Note that most healthcare expenditure is financed by taxes in Irl.

In the USA, the State does not use general taxes to fund healthcare.

So here I pay tax + health ins = my total bill.

Whereas in the USA, people pay just insurance.

So clearly the ins bill will be higher in the USA.

Advertisement