Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 35s, are you taking out Health Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

One thing I'm not clear on, is there any reason I can't just wait until the day before I turn 35 and buy the insurance then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I can't afford it. So now if there's ever a time I would've been able to, or have to, I won't actually be able to afford it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Even worse, if your mother was covered by your fathers scheme for 20 years, and he drops dead when she's 55, she'll then have to pay at a rate of 140% because she's never had insurance in her own name.

Completely wrong

According to Don Gallagher of the Health Insurance Authority, that doesn't count at all towards the rating.
    Any health insurance you had as a child is immediately ignored when it comes to calculating the rate you'll pay.
    Even worse, if your mother was covered by your fathers scheme for 20 years, and he drops dead when she's 55, she'll then have to pay at a rate of 140% because she's never had insurance in her own name.

I'm 30 which means I've been on my own adult policy for the last 12 years, I dont know anything about it as I don't organise it myself but I know for sure I will very much have a strong rating. Both my parents have individual policies. My mother works in health care she knows how the system works hence why she has ensured our cover never lapsed.

Being insured together under a scheme which gives a discount to family members does not mean people are tacked onto the policy of the main policy holder which you are trying to argue.
    MrMorooka wrote: »
    One thing I'm not clear on, is there any reason I can't just wait until the day before I turn 35 and buy the insurance then?

Needing it in the meantime? Also when you buy it you usually don't get all the benefits until you have it for a while so its best to get it a build up your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Can someone explain to me why in feck we're paying toward a national health service if we're all now being obliged to get private insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The ad really annoys me. They're smiling that they're going to be charged more for health insurance, on what planet does that make sense. Who in the hell would be happy at the thought of another bill or increase in their premium. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Never had it and never will. I pay enough taxes in this country and if I get sick I expect (rightly) to be looked after in the public health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

kylith wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why in feck we're paying toward a national health service if we're all now being obliged to get private insurance?

Because the National Health Service is insufficient, Health Care is expensive and nobody wants to be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I already have it. I've used it a few times. It provides a lot of peace of mind when something comes up. I tend to look at my insurance like an upgrade of the NHS instead of instead of it. I find it takes the sting out if handguns over the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Never had it and never will. I pay enough taxes in this country and if I get sick I expect (rightly) to be looked after in the public health system.

And you would trust the current health service to deliver the most appropriate consultants, surgeons and hospitals to provide that when you need it?????

I agree with your point, but it ain't going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

What you expect and the reality of what you will get are two different things. You can beg and moan all you want but it wont get you up the (long) waiting list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

davo2001 wrote: »
    What you expect and the reality of what you will get are two different things. You can beg and moan all you want but it wont get you up the (long) waiting list.

Who said anything about begging and moaning. I'll take what's coming and hopefully come out the other side. Been in twice for operations and found the service fantastic on both occasions. Is there horror stories yes of course but ill take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

jester77 wrote: »
    €1000 a year is nothing, I pay that every 2 months for the most basic plan going. And then I have to cover the first €600 a year of medical costs before I can even make any claim.

You pay €6000 a year, with a €600 excess, for "the most basic plan going"? Wow, what plan is that, if you don't mind telling? It sounds like a complete rip off.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I'm 36 and have done a reasonable amount of research into insurance plans prior to this deadline.
    From what I can see, the cheaper plans are not worth paying for as you will still end up in a public hospital possibly on a trolley like everyone else.
    You basically need private hospital cover for it to be worth while. From my research, I am of the opinion that for a young healthy person with no pre existing conditions, the private hospital plans with large excess per admission would be a reasonable way to proceed.
    Certainly, if I need an operation, a single 500 euro payment would seem reasonable when it gives full private hospital cover.
    These plans seem to be available for 50 per month.

100% This is exactly what we chose. €113 a month for 2 adults and a child, with access to all private hospitals, including the high-tech hospitals in Dublin.
    The lower cost plans with access to public hospitals only are a waste of money in terms of being seen/treated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

And you would trust the current health service to deliver the most appropriate consultants, surgeons and hospitals to provide that when you need it?????

I agree with your point, but it ain't going to happen

funny enough whether you re private or public, its the same consultants, surgeons and for anything serious hospitals you ll be seen in. Albeit maybe a bit quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have family friends who are nurses. They said just get private health insurance for private mental hospitals. They said public ones are horrific compared to private ones. Its nearly better to have health insurance, as a just in case for mental health issues. Which is something you never actually notice yourself. A person with severe mental health issues, rarely realise they actually have them

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

hfallada wrote: »
    I have family friends who are nurses. They said just get private health insurance for private mental hospitals. They said public ones are horrific compared to private ones. Its nearly better to have health insurance, as a just in case for mental health issues. Which is something you never actually notice yourself. A person with severe mental health issues, rarely realise they actually have them

you do most policies cover you for 6 to 12 weeks, then you re back into the public system, what makes the public psych wards awful, it ain't the staff, it ain't the patients. They are often overcrowded, understaffed and have people who have very complex needs. Given the nature and effects of severe mental illness, most people who are unfortunate enough to experience it are unlikely to be able to afford health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You pay €6000 a year, with a €600 excess, for "the most basic plan going"? Wow, what plan is that, if you don't mind telling? It sounds like a complete rip off.

It's actually quite cheap compared to most plans. Here is is before all the mandatory extras are added.

http://www.deutscherring-kranken.de/private-krankenversicherung/esprit.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

€1000 a year is nothing, I pay that every 2 months for the most basic plan going. And then I have to cover the first €600 a year of medical costs before I can even make any claim.

Personally? Or the company you work for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

kylith wrote: »

No idea where you got that notion from?

it's optional.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

smash wrote: »
    Personally? Or the company you work for?

If his location is correct, he'd pay that personally. German employers don't pay for their employee's health insurance. Some employers have their own in-house insurers, but you would still pay for them.

The money is usally taken out of your pay check and paid to your insurer by your employer, though. You have no choice in the matter, you have to have insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have private health insurance through work, and the NHS here is nowhere near as bad as the health service in Ireland. I also have a subsidised dental policy through work, I pay about £15 a month to cover myself and my fiance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We've a very different definition of cheap....

My brother-in-law in suburban Florida pays $15,300 per year for his family's health insurance (Currently €14,570)

Trust me, it is still cheap in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm 26 and have always had cover, paying myself now the last few years and I got very good cover with Glo after shopping around.

It's amazing how some people fork out the money without looking into their plan. I worked in a private hospital emergency department and too often had to tell people they had no inpatient cover in the hospital. Which also meant they automatically had no cover in any other private hospital in Dublin since the rest are on the same level, or higher (High tech...few plans cover inpatient Mater Private, Beacon and Blackrock). And plans with no private hospital cover can still cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I doubt I'd have health insurance if I was still living in Ireland. €1,000 a year? That sounds great though! We pay close to $1,000 a month for a family of three, one of whom is a toddler so gets a reduced rate. Health insurance is so expensive here but so necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm 43. I eat mainly plant based diet with the occasional fish dish. Meditate twice a day. Run 6 to 7 days a week. Drink alcohol sometimes and can give it up for long periods. 6'2'', 12 stone and 13% body fat. Low blood pressure and low heart rate. Have never had a health issue except the flu twice and the cold.

I would rather spend my money on prevention orientated health care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My employer pays for it. Also dental insurance. Don't think I would pay for it myself, however!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I suppose I should, but honestly the price is a problem. It basically means another €50-€70 bill every month right? I haven't budgeted for that so it's difficult to fit it in. And even then, I understand that level of payment won't actually get me much if I do need to use it. It just seems really expensive! I pay €150 contents insurance a year for peace of mind, but this is on another level of expense.

Next time I move job, I will have to make my decision partly based on whether they provide health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Already have it, costs €1200 each year which the company pays. Get charged BIK on it so it costs me €550 approx in real terms. It covers 50% of dental work and 100% of doctors visits. Reckon I got about €600 off them last year, all paid into my bank account. That's not even counting a couple of procedures I had for €3k that they covered directly themselves.

Definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

It's actually quite cheap compared to most plans. Here is is before all the mandatory extras are added.

http://www.deutscherring-kranken.de/private-krankenversicherung/esprit.php

Ah sorry, Jester, I didn't see that you're in Germany.
    I agree that health insurance in Ireland is very cheap in comparison to other countries. I'm American and lived in the US until moving to Ireland 12 years ago, and back then my insurance was a good deal more than what you're paying in Germany (though mostly paid by my employer). Things are much improved by Obamacare, I hear.

Advertisement