Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 35s, are you taking out Health Insurance?

Options
  • 21-04-2015 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

The scheme is ridiculous. I'm young, healthy, not overweight, I exercise, don't smoke, don't drink heavily, no drugs, no family history of illnesses.
    I looked into getting health insurance, €1000 a year! :eek: I could get an absolute basic package that covered only about 3 hospitals and no treatments for €800 pa.
    The maths of it doesn't even work.
    If I take out HI on my 35th birthday, I can pay €1k a year until I'm 65 where I'll still only pay €1000 every year.
    If I wait until I'm 65 to take out HI, I'll pay €1600 a year, but I'll already by 30 grand to the good. I'd have to live to 115 before Lifetime Community Rating actually becomes more profitable than not having insurance as a young person.
    Even if I only wait until I'm 50, I'd pay €1300 a year. I'd have to live to 100 before LCR is the better choice.
    So what is the point of this scheme? As far as I can tell, the government is basically trying to scaremonger healthy people into giving money to VHI just to pay for pensioners who've smoked 20 a day for the last 40 years.
    People are turning away from health insurance because they can't afford it, realistically they either need to offer concessions to younger people to get them to take it up, or else just accept that they need to move to a risk-based rating rather than a flat community rate

Will you take out private health insurance next month? 72 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 72 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Die young seems to be the cheapest option then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most young people don't really need Health Insurance in Ireland as anything likely to acutely affect young people would be treated straight away in the public system.

However any chronic but not life threatening condition, and you're infinitely better off having private insurance.

I've had it more or less since I was born, my mother has always had the whole family under one policy.

Id never be without it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Government scared of the grave dodgers as they vote in big numbers, therefore they knock the ****e of the younger generation. Politics at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I've had it more or less since I was born, my mother has always had the whole family under one policy.

That doesn't count in your favour when it comes to loading the charges though. Children and spouses covered by one person's policy are just treated as not having health insurance when it comes to them getting their own coverage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, always had it and would not be without it.

It's very cheap in Ireland, and though the cover isn't as good as in other countries, it's still better than nothing. You never know when you might need it, which is kind of the point of insurance.

That doesn't count in your favour when it comes to loading the charges though. Children and spouses covered by one person's policy are just treated as not having health insurance when it comes to them getting their own coverage

They would be separate policies though just grouped together essentially, not sure if they still are grouped as it was a particular scheme through my fathers employer which may not still be running.

In anycase I have the full history of health insurance, certainly since I turned 18 probably was under a parents name when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Well I'm fúcked because my medical problems that cost me the most money are pre-existing so aren't covered and they suck up all my money which means I have nothing left for health insurance to cover anything else :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have always had it and to be honest wouldn't be without it. I have only had to use it a fe times but would have been waiting months and in one case years on waiting lists if I did not have it.

Mind you the VHI made it a nightmare to renew this year. I had changed a lot of my details with this renewal including the Bank Account that I wanted to use. They just noted the change in Policy and ignored everything else. It took many emails and phone calls to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the Saw movies actually was centered around private health insurance and the lengths the companies go to to wrangle their way out of coughing up. Was surprisingly political for such a franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

34 and already have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I dont understand health insurance plans, what they cover/don't, they seem like a load of expensive bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

At 26 I was healthy but I took out a fairly basic health insurance package in order to build it up prior to having a family. At 34 I needed it. A lot.

Cribbing about it in the fashion the OP is, is like saying "im the best driver in the world, Im never going to have a car accident!"

I had almost €40,000 euro worth of treatment a few years back and I still pay €64 per month as a premium, less than half a weeks shopping.

The way I see it, with the carnage that is the public health system, I would almost go without food before going without some sort of private health cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

No - I had it for a year and then cancelled it.
    Got it through work, visited the doctor twice on the year, send in my receipts for reimbursement and was told I wasn't covered for GP visits on the plan I was on?
    Work were paying €135 a month...and I wasn't even covered for a poxy GP visit!

So I cancelled it and I now get the €135 in my wages.

Absolute rip off, I've no intention of ever paying for HI again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Shouldn't the title read Over 35, if you're talking about the government levied health premiums going up after the April 30th for anyone who hasn't signed up by then therefore making it much more expensive for those in that age bracket to afford private healthcare in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The scheme is ridiculous. I'm young, healthy, not overweight, I exercise, don't smoke, don't drink heavily, no drugs, no family history of illnesses.
    I looked into getting health insurance, €1000 a year! :eek: I could get an absolute basic package that covered only about 3 hospitals and no treatments for €800 pa.
    If I take out HI on my 35th birthday, I can pay €1k a year until I'm 65 where I'll still only pay €1000 every year.
    If I wait until I'm 65 to take out HI, I'll pay €1600 a year, but I'll already by 30 grand to the good. I'd have to live to 115 before Lifetime Community Rating actually becomes more profitable than not having insurance as a young person.
    Even if I only wait until I'm 50, I'd pay €1300 a year. I'd have to live to 100 before LCR is the better choice.
    So what is the point of this scheme? As far as I can tell, the government is basically trying to scaremonger healthy people into giving money to VHI just to pay for pensioners who've smoked 20 a day for the last 40 years.
    People are turning away from health insurance because they can't afford it, realistically they either need to offer concessions to younger people to get them to take it up, or else just accept that they need to move to a risk-based rating rather than a flat community rate

OK fine don't get it. But please don't start moaning when you are stuck on a trolley or have to go on a 2 year waiting list for a live saving operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

OK fine don't get it. But please don't start moaning when you are stuck on a trolley or have to go on a 2 year waiting list for a live saving operation.

Ah, they will be moaning......... they're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Boring. I have health insurance and by jesus I'll make use of it the way I'm going.

So what is the point of this scheme?
    Insurance is a way of protecting against large medical bills in the future. Everyone thinks health insurance is stupid up until the point they need it. The last time I was in hospital the guy across from me was in his 50s. He'd been paying into his health insurance for 30 years and that visit was the first time making use of the insurance. Getting into private hospitals is also a huge plus.

Most young people don't really need Health Insurance in Ireland as anything likely to acutely affect young people would be treated straight away in the public system.
    Straight away? You're looking at a year waiting list on things as simple as an MRI. You could die waiting for tests going public.

A young healthy person could live until their 90 and die in their sleep peacefully one night. It's more likely that something is going to pop up and if it's serious you're going to want that health insurance. Most diseases and conditions can at least be managed these days, it's just a matter of how you want them managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

They would be separate policies though just grouped together essentially, not sure if they still are grouped as it was a particular scheme through my fathers employer which may not still be running.

In anycase I have the full history of health insurance, certainly since I turned 18 probably was under a parents name when I was younger.

According to Don Gallagher of the Health Insurance Authority, that doesn't count at all towards the rating.
    Any health insurance you had as a child is immediately ignored when it comes to calculating the rate you'll pay.
    Even worse, if your mother was covered by your fathers scheme for 20 years, and he drops dead when she's 55, she'll then have to pay at a rate of 140% because she's never had insurance in her own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

According to Don Gallagher of the Health Insurance Authority, that doesn't count at all towards the rating.
    Any health insurance you had as a child is immediately ignored when it comes to calculating the rate you'll pay.
    Even worse, if your mother was covered by your fathers scheme for 20 years, and he drops dead when she's 55, she'll then have to pay at a rate of 140% because she's never had insurance in her own name.

He was wrong (about the adult dependent, but not the child).

The HIA rowed back on his statement:
    “Currently health insurers apply a reduced level of health insurance premium in respect of children and full time dependant students. These periods of cover where reduced health insurance premiums apply, are not taken into account for the purposes of lifetime community rating and the calculation of age related loadings,” the statement said.

However, if a full adult premium “is paid in respect of anyone, including a dependant student, such periods of cover are taken into account for the purposes of Lifetime Community Rating. Similarly in the case of an individual where a full adult premium rate is being paid for them by their spouse, such periods of cover are also taken into account for the purposes of Lifetime Community Rating.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/insurance-body-rows-back-on-widowed-surcharge-claim-1.2143977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Totally agree with everything Scumlord said. I have always had health insurance. It has cost me about €1000 a year or less for as long as I can remember. Since the start of is year, I think they've paid out €20k for my health problems. She who went to the doc with a cough has got cancer.
    For me, the most important part of my treatment was diagnosis. You want that to be as fast as is possible, and that's where private health insurance kicks in. You get told that a certain scan will be in two weeks time on the public health, or the next day if you've health insurance. And trust me, that '2 weeks time' was the fastest possible time, I discovered later that it could've been up to 8 weeks. There is a definite 2 tier system.

By the way - prior to my 'cough' I was rarely ill. Don't smoke, rarely drink, love walking, no cholesterol problems, no health problems at all. My colleagues in my job are still gobsmacked that I'm ill at all. You never ever know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm 29 and took out health insurance last year for the first ever as I was due to get one of my Kidneys removed, Don't want to take a chance down the line and something happens my remaining kidney and have to go public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

People might be able to afford it if they didn't still have to pay USC... that 'temporary' tax that was introduced and will now never go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

While it's certainly understandable to gripe about high prices, objecting to the very concept of heath insurance on the grounds that you may not ever get ill is missing the point of insurance a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

anncoates wrote: »
    While it's certainly understandable to gripe about high prices, objecting to the very concept of heath insurance on the grounds that you may not ever get ill is missing the point of insurance a bit.

I object on the grounds that I would rather just have a public health system that worked and didn't necessitate people arranging for private treatment if they want anything effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

€1000 a year is nothing, I pay that every 2 months for the most basic plan going. And then I have to cover the first €600 a year of medical costs before I can even make any claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm 36 and have done a reasonable amount of research into insurance plans prior to this deadline.
    From what I can see, the cheaper plans are not worth paying for as you will still end up in a public hospital possibly on a trolley like everyone else.
    You basically need private hospital cover for it to be worth while. From my research, I am of the opinion that for a young healthy person with no pre existing conditions, the private hospital plans with large excess per admission would be a reasonable way to proceed.
    Certainly, if I need an operation, a single 500 euro payment would seem reasonable when it gives full private hospital cover.
    These plans seem to be available for 50 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I object on the grounds that I would rather just have a public health system that worked and didn't necessitate people arranging for private treatment if they want anything effective.

I'd love the same public health system but sadly I'm not sure just wanting it will cover the arses of my family and I during my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yes, always had it and would not be without it.

It's very cheap in Ireland, and though the cover isn't as good as in other countries, it's still better than nothing. You never know when you might need it, which is kind of the point of insurance.

We've a very different definition of cheap....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My godfather was diagnosed with blood cancer, about three years ago. He was straight into some private hospital in dublin and had stem cells removed as part of his treatment, he was months in hospital, and thankfully now he's much better, and for the minute, cancer free. If he didn't have that cover he might not be here now so I think its always good to have it.

Advertisement