Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a box that does it all?

• 04-04-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Is there a satellite PVR that has it all?
    1. Freestat
    2. Saorview
    3. 500GB PVR
    4. Good EPG with season links for both UK / Ireland
    5. OnDemand apps
    6. Netflix

I've only been looking in to this for a little while and have more to learn. From looking around so far I don't think the above exists right? I've come across the Humax, Walker, and Amiko Alien which all look like good PVR possiblities. I think the Humax YouView DTR models can even do Netflix. I'm not sure if the region thing becomes a problem and if it is I'd like to find away around it (geo blocking?). Anyhow, I'd love to find out what are considered the best brands/models on this forum.

The main thing I'm unsure about is do these freestat pvrs typically have multiple receivers? Where I use my old sky sat for freestat and an aerial to receive saorview? Is there much to the aerial install?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The Humax range and Amiko Alien range of boxes are good boxes. There is a thread on the Amiko you should have a look it will give you a good idea of whether it would suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Is there much to the aerial install?

Probably about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If your a bit "Teccy" then the Amiko Ailen is your box. Endless possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

winston_1 wrote: »
    Probably about €100.

Right, I'm assumming that's the price installed. So not something to attempt yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

https://wetek.com

the expansion possibilities with USB might help you

Looks interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Off the shelf and truly, no.
    Serious fiddling is needed to have it all working as well as Sky Pay TV or a Freesat+ HD PVR just for Freeview.

Anything with built in Internet features will have poor security and become obsolete.
    In Ireland, Netflix is probably best on UPC.

So one system that really does it all PROPERLY and keeps doing it probably doesn't exist. My PC based solution for instance doesn't have Freesat automatic tuning, though it does have MHEG5 Interactive on Freesat and Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

https://wetek.com

the expansion possibilities with USB might help you

Looks interesting

Out of stock at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Netflix uses Silverlight doesn't it? Which would rule out all the Linux based boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

testicle wrote: »
    Netflix uses Silverlight doesn't it? Which would rule out all the Linux based boxes

Yes. or HTML5.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭codar

Out of stock at the moment.
    I think the wetek is back in stock.
    I have one setup to run on openelec with a generic usb dvb-t for saorview and 28.2 free to air.
    It's not easily setup but has great potential. (can run oscam aswell if thats your thing)
    I think netflix will run on the android side of it.
    Haven't tried recording on it to be honest.
    It is something that will need occasional input from you though (freq changes, iptv streams etc) and will not run from out of the box. Tvheadend is a bit of a headache to setup if you haven't done so before.
    The amiko alien is a decent receiver but has its pitfalls (if you are using the e2 side of it, some plugins can be problematic)
    Another option would be a golden interstar xspeed lx2 combo receiver.
    It will give you Free to air, Saorview, can add hdd to make it pvr, good epg, a couple of on demand plugins but i think netflix is a no-no.

Note, I am in no way connected to any of the above mentioned receivers wholesale, only commenting on them from my experience with using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

codar wrote: »
    I think the wetek is back in stock.
    I have one setup to run on openelec with a generic usb dvb-t for saorview and 28.2 free to air.
    It's not easily setup but has great potential. (can run oscam aswell if thats your thing)
    I think netflix will run on the android side of it.
    Haven't tried recording on it to be honest.
    It is something that will need occasional input from you though (freq changes, iptv streams etc) and will not run from out of the box. Tvheadend is a bit of a headache to setup if you haven't done so before.
    The amiko alien is a decent receiver but has its pitfalls (if you are using the e2 side of it, some plugins can be problematic)
    Another option would be a golden interstar xspeed lx2 combo receiver.
    It will give you Free to air, Saorview, can add hdd to make it pvr, good epg, a couple of on demand plugins but i think netflix is a no-no.

Note, I am in no way connected to any of the above mentioned receivers wholesale, only commenting on them from my experience with using them.

Hi there , Just got rid of sky, would you think wetek box , replace it, or is the box too early in infantry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi there , Just got rid of sky, would you think wetek box , replace it, or is the box too early in infantry

I would wait regarding that box. I've seen it advertised all over the net but I have my doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I'd never go near a box that's not out at least 18 months again.

Not that i'm an advocate for it but it has grown in support quicker than any other receiver i can remember.
    It is in its infancy atm but there is enigma2 being developed for it and due to be released fairly soon (as far as i'm led to believe)
    If it runs as good as enigma2 in mips receivers, then it will be a game changer (in my opinion)
    Kodi in openelec is a bit giddy for my liking at the moment and channel changes are a bit sluggish (but i'm two openelec releases behind at the moment so this may have been rectified, i'm not sure) but if your already using xbmc/kodi daily, this box is a lovely toy.
    Cannot speak for the android side of things though as i haven't really ran it.
    It wouldn't be replacing my main receiver just yet, but may very well do sooner rather than later with the ammount of support it is receiving.
    I got the dual sat tuner version and didn't have a problem adding a generic usb dvb-t tuner for saorview but saying that, i only ever had one sat feed connected to it.
    Also, any problems that have been highlighted on their forum are addressed and answered promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dubrov

From looking around it seems the Edision Optimuss OS3 is the best available box for Ireland. It is pricey but seems to tick all the boxes.

There is another thread on it in this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

dubrov wrote: »
    From looking around it seems the Edision Optimuss OS3 is the best available box for Ireland. It is pricey but seems to tick all the boxes.

There is another thread on it in this forum

To be honest the Edision Optimuss OS3 is a great box but the software lets it down spectacularly. Openatv is far too bloated, they're constantly releasing updates but they don't fix much. To me 5.0 isn't much better than 4.1. It still has random lock ups far too often.

With the right software this box could be great but it won't be openatv. Hopefully now that its getting to be a more popular box a few more devs take notice of it and make a more basic stable software.

With the right software this box could be great but it won't be openatv. Hopefully now that its getting to be a more popular box a few more devs take notice of it and make a more basic stable software.

To be honest the Edision Optimuss OS3 is a great box but the software lets it down spectacularly. Openatv is far too bloated, they're constantly releasing updates but they don't fix much. To me 5.0 isn't much better than 4.1. It still has random lock ups far too often.

Didn't realise it still had so many issues. On openatv well it at least record and display 7 day EPG consistently?

Didn't realise it still had so many issues. On openatv well it at least record and display 7 day EPG consistently?

No the hard drive seems to unmount when it feels like it so I don't know if I'd rely on it for recordings. The EPG is equally as flakey, as the hard drive unmounts the EPG doesn't populate properly during the night. This box is becoming a real pain to be honest.

Thanks for that.
    I'd imagine the Amiko Alien triple tuner is worse due to poorer hardware.

The Wetek seems to only have one tuner and is more of an IPTV box so wouldn't suit.

Any other suggestions out there as it doesn't look like there is a single box that will do it all for the Irish market?

Thanks for that.
    I'd imagine the Amiko Alien triple tuner is worse due to poorer hardware.

The Wetek seems to only have one tuner and is more of an IPTV box so wouldn't suit.

Any other suggestions out there as it doesn't look like there is a single box that will do it all for the Irish market?

The amiko alien 2 is slower than the optimuss os3 but has better software available for it.

An amiko alien 2 running Hyperion v4.5 will give you zero problems assuming you don't try installing loads of plugins all the time. The same can't be said for openatv unfortunately. It might work fine for a day, week or even a month and then you'll come home and it'll be green screening.

• Advertisement

Wetek with dvb-s2 module fitted is a dual tuner module.
    Dunno about the wetek with dvb-c/t/t2 module fitted though.

A couple of guys over on sattvhelp have bought weteks and they have a sub forum dedicated to it. Might be of some use to anyone thinking of buying one.

A couple of guys over on sattvhelp.com have bought weteks and they have a sub forum dedicated to it. Might be of some use to anyone thinking of buying one.

Linuxsat-support is also worth a look.
    They have a lot on there regarding the wetek, tutorials and a few backups to choose from.

codar wrote:
    Wetek with dvb-s2 module fitted is a dual tuner module. Dunno about the wetek with dvb-c/t/t2 module fitted though.

You'd really need a dual s2 and single t2 tuner and it doesn't look to be an option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ok apologies in advance for a possibly silly question from someone that doesn't know a lot about this type of stuff.
    What advantages would having one of these wetek boxes mentioned over saying having UPC ?

Casey78 wrote: »
    Ok apologies in advance for a possibly silly question from someone that doesn't know a lot about this type of stuff.
    What advantages would having one of these wetek boxes mentioned over saying having UPC ?

No more bills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

No more bills

So I can get all or near enough the same channels?
    Do they all need satellite dishes to work?

Casey78 wrote: »
    So I can get all or near enough the same channels?
    Do they all need satellite dishes to work?

Yeah they all need a satellite dish. Google astra 28.2 FTA channels and you should see the list of channels you'll get also if you add an aerial to your setup you can get the irish saorview channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The important thing about buying a box is support. I have found that with alot of the OpenATV/Mips Teams that they are either not English or not geared towards the UK/Ireland market. I have a Gigablue 800 UE+. It runs OpenATv/OpenMips and most importantly ViX. The EPG and recording are stable. It runs KodiDirect also. It doesn't crash. This is a single DVB-S and DVB-T Combo. The Gigablue Quad Plus is the up to Four Tuner Version.

Here are some screenshots of my box (Vix - Blue HD Skin).

Channel OSD
    344972.jpg

Inbuilt TV Guide
    344973.jpg

KodiDirect
    344974.jpg

Advertisement