Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working out everday since 22nd of April seeing no progress..Help?

Options
  • 04-04-2015 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Weight, Height, Sex, and Age: 11 Stone (154lb), 5'10, Male and 16.

My goal: Probably like most people who come on here To get my 6 pack in full swing and just to build up muscle in general to look toned.

I've been doing a work out for the past 3 weeks every day except for sundays (as I have a game on sundays) and I train for football 2 days a week if I don't have work and if I do I go outside for an hour or two on two different days..I've been doing a frontal body plank (1 minute and 30 seconds built up from 45) 50 sit ups (built up from 35 as it was too easy didn't feel the burn) 25 Push ups (built up from 15) and 20 squats. I used to do Side planks as well but didn't feel much from it I only kept it until 45 seconds should I continue it?

As far as eating wise I try to keep eating healthy I eat fruits and lots of protein (usually from chicken) I can see an outline coming in for a 6 pack but I'm struggling to burn off the extra fat layer around my stomach...I've been just working out hoping it'd help but it doesn't seem to if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong and would like to let me know please do.. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Hey,

Is there any particular reason you want to lose more fat?

11 stone at 5 foot 10 is quite light; I would imagine you're quite lean already due to how active you are coupled with your age.

Your body will quickly adapt to the body weight exercises you've been throwing at it so I think doing more would be counterproductive.

Putting on a bit of muscle would make far more of a difference to your appearance than trying to drop any more weight, so in my opinion that's where your focus should be.

If I were you I'd try to pack on a bit of size and strength, maybe when football is on its off-season. You could join a gym and get a strength program from one of the trainers, money permitting of course. You'd see some very quick gains at your age, but would want to start slow and focus on getting your form down for the main movements before throwing on the weight.

As for diet I'd focus on eating lots of good nutritious food - plenty of protein, veg and fruit and complex carbs like rice. You're still developing and with your activity levels are going to need a fair amount of calories.

Being 16 you would probably get away with eating more crap than most of us as well enjoy it while it lasts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ABCE

I had a similar question posted a while back as well.How to get rid of the layer of belly fat that are preventing my abs from showing.
    I wouldn't really recommend sit-ups because 1) They're rather for strengthening the abs than getting rid of the fat covering them and 2) like you mentioned it takes ages to feel any sort of "burn".
    I think you should focus on High Intensity Interval Training(football really helps for this). Even when you're doing the exercises try pace yourself so as to not take too many breaks in between and make sure you're somewhat out of breath while doing each exercise(don't wait to catch your breath after each exercise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You won't build muscle trying to lose fat, 3 weeks really isn't a long time you need to keep your work rate up for much longer and actually decide on what it is you want to do.

1: Lose weight , work out your Bmr here
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Then track your calories on MyFitnessPal, eat a few hundred calories less than you need and you'll lose weight. But I wouldn't recommend doing this.

2: Since you're 16 you should be looking to take advantage of all the newbie gains you'll make when you start lifting , Go to scoobys workshop , work out your BMR , then eat a few hundred more than you need. This way you'll build muscle, get stronger and actually have some muscles when you decide to do option 1 and cut, in 12 or 18 months.

If you do what you're doing , or go with option 1 , you might have a 6pack but it'll be on a skinny frame.

TL;DR , get a decent program like 5x5 and do option (2)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kettlebelljim

Heavy compound lifts, 5x5 program definitely and rotate in some sprints.
    Ditch the situps, you'll get better midsection strength from squatting heavy and pulling heavy.
    Eat more, lift more,sleep more.
    Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DatMeatloaf

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm not even that interested in loosing weight really it's just litterally the small layer of fat
    that I have left on my stomach area and then just build up my stamina for the rest of football season then move onto bulking during off season (like you said)

I'm just struggling more than anything to loose the last layer of fat.. I can see progress alright when ever I look in the mirror or after working out in my room and see the reflection I can see a full six pack once I tense / when I'm moving but it's not.. solid it's just the outline yet.. and I'm struggling to figure out why that is.. I've stopped eating most **** food and eating lots of fruit and protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DatMeatloaf

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm not even that interested in loosing weight really it's just litterally the small layer of fat
    that I have left on my stomach area and then just build up my stamina for the rest of football season then move onto bulking during off season (like you said)

I'm just struggling more than anything to loose the last layer of fat.. I can see progress alright when ever I look in the mirror or after working out in my room and see the reflection I can see a full six pack once I tense / when I'm moving but it's not.. solid it's just the outline yet.. and I'm struggling to figure out why that is.. I've stopped eating most **** food and eating lots of fruit and protein.

ABCE wrote: »
    Read on the wiki about this as I wasn't sure what you meant lad but basically sprints?

If I did a workout at home 7 days a week which includes squats/planks/pushups and then did 1/2 HIIT a week.. and ate properly would this get me on the road to clearing out the fat? or would I have to do more?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kettlebelljim

Read on the wiki about this as I wasn't sure what you meant lad but basically sprints?

If I did a workout at home 7 days a week which includes squats/planks/pushups and then did 1/2 HIIT a week.. and ate properly would this get me on the road to clearing out the fat? or would I have to do more?

You are not going to get a six pack in 3 weeks unless you stopped eating for 2 of them.

We all have a sixpack the difference is bf%.
    You are still only 16, have a bit of patience. Training every day with a few pushups and planks in your room won't cut it

Burpees,hill sprints or any high intensity movement mixed with a programme of heavy lifting and a consistent clean diet of lean protein and green leafy vegetables will guarantee gains in strength size and reduction in bf%.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

You should have a read through this, It should help you understand what you need to be doing. It's actually a good website with a lot of helpful posts that might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ABCE

Yea, basically sprints mate. So after you're done warming up, start off with a jog for 1 minute, then 2 minutes sprint(70-80% your max speed), then 1 minute jog...And so on for about 10-15 minutes every day would be great for getting rid of the fat.

Also planks...How long can you last in the plank position? I mean if you can do over 90 seconds without struggle,you should probably increase the intensity by putting a bag on your bag or weights maybe.

Don't do 7 days a week..preferably 5 or 6.Your body needs the rest to catch up.

And like most people have already said, I'd be surprised if there's going to be much of a change in 3 weeks. Perhaps 2-3 months is what you should aim for.

Advertisement